Round 1 - The new, the old and the who?

Talk on the national game

Re: Round 1 - The new, the old and the who?

Postby valleys07 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:15 am

David Brent wrote:
Booney wrote:Scans have confirmed that Richmond defender, Alex Rance has ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in last night’s 33-point win over Carlton, and will miss the remainder of the 2019 season.

Rance suffered the injury during a marking contest in the third quarter of the game.

Rance, 29, will consult with a surgeon today and is expected to have surgery to repair the damage in the coming days.

“We’re really disappointed for Alex that he’ll spend an extended period of time out of the game, he’s a wonderful player and fantastic leader of our team,” Richmond General Manager – Football, Neil Balme said.

“Alex, to his credit, has been incredibly positive since the injury occurred, and we’ll continue to rally around him in the coming days and throughout his rehab process.

“While we’ll miss his on-field contribution this season, we know he’ll apply the same dedication and discipline to his rehab and recovery, and we will continue to provide our ongoing support to him.”

:(

I cant see this hurting Richmond's defensive structure much at all, TBH. Massively overrated is Rance. An elite intercept player by CD's rankings, but is horrible when defending one on one, and he is costly on the turnover following his intercepts anyway.

Ryan Garthwaite is Richmond's next best defensive intercept option. Whilst Ryan is a better spoiler than marker, and doesnt win much of his own footy, itll just require small rebounding defenders such as Short, Vlastuin, Houli to create more rebound.

Could trial something and perhaps look at the athletic Noah Balta in a key defensive post. He looked a bit at sea last night as the 3rd tall behind Riewoldt and Lynch, and Carlton looked very good at times on the defensive 50 transition, Richmond lacking that ground ball pace that made them so formidable in 2017.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:18 am

Turbo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Good crowd and I suspect even better TV ratings.
Most clubs would be envious of that!

Unfortunately it was Carlton’s home game which shaved a few of the crowd numbers

[emoji15]

That wasn’t a dig at Carlton it’s just how it is when Richmond have nearly 100k members. Many can’t get in on their tickets and refuse to pay the additional fee for reserving seats. I have no doubt a Richmond home game would have got 90k plus last night
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:21 am

valleys07 wrote:
I cant see this hurting Richmond's defensive structure much at all, TBH. Massively overrated is Rance. An elite intercept player by CD's rankings, but is horrible when defending one on one, and he is costly on the turnover following his intercepts anyway.

Ryan Garthwaite is Richmond's next best defensive intercept option. Whilst Ryan is a better spoiler than marker, and doesnt win much of his own footy, itll just require small rebounding defenders such as Short, Vlastuin, Houli to create more rebound.

Could trial something and perhaps look at the athletic Noah Balta in a key defensive post. He looked a bit at sea last night as the 3rd tall behind Riewoldt and Lynch, and Carlton looked very good at times on the defensive 50 transition, Richmond lacking that ground ball pace that made them so formidable in 2017.

I can't agree with you there, the work he does back there that we don't see is phenomenal, his ability to read the play and leave his opponent is as good as anyone that has played.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:29 am

Rance is the only player in the league to be All Australian the last five consecutive years.
He ain’t overrated.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:31 am

Spargo wrote:Rance is the only player in the league to be All Australian the last five consecutive years.
He ain’t overrated.

He's not over rated in today's game, when he's discussed in terms of all time greats I think he may be a little higher than he should be, but he is, without question, one of today's most reliable key defenders.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:33 am

Spargo wrote:Rance is the only player in the league to be All Australian the last five consecutive years.
He ain’t overrated.

And I am not sure selection in those teams is completely warranted.

A reliable player is Rance, but for the system that Richmond play, he is replaceable.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:35 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

I can't agree with you there, the work he does back there that we don't see is phenomenal, his ability to read the play and leave his opponent is as good as anyone that has played.

Huge Loss. No replacement for his ball reading ability.
We will get to see just how good Grimes and Astbury really are without Rance coming over the top to help out.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:36 am

valleys07 wrote:
He ain’t overrated.

A reliable player is Rance, but for the system that Richmond play, he is replaceable.

He gives the best forward of the modern era a bath on a regular basis... He's the best key defender in the game
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:36 am

valleys07 wrote:
He ain’t overrated.

He is Richmond's most important player IMO, they can cover anyone else, not him. Dusty is their best player but between Edwards, Cotchin, Higgins, Riewoldt, Lambert, Caddy, Houli and Graham, they can all do their bit to cover him, they can't do that for Rance though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:37 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
He ain’t overrated.

He gives the best forward of the modern era a bath on a regular basis... He's the best key defender in the game

Tom Lonergan gave him bigger baths
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:38 am

He ain’t overrated.

And knowing the selectors he will still get in there this year!
Some players *cough* Joel Selwood are selected before the season even starts
Jim05
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Sort of agree with you Valleys. I don't think he's anything special one on one, but his style fits with Richmonds perfectly and makes him probably their 2nd most important player. History will rate him more highly than I do (imo a very good but not great player - I'd have Scarlett ahead of him every day of the week). Pretty big loss for the Tiges.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby saintal » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Former Rooster Callum Wilkie to debut for St Kilda.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Bandit » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:29 pm

Rance 5x AA based on his work as a loose man in defence, its the rest of the team that allows him to play that way. He's a good player but nothing on the genuine backmen winning 1 on 1 contests, but that era is going by.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:33 pm

JK wrote:Sort of agree with you Valleys. I don't think he's anything special one on one, but his style fits with Richmonds perfectly and makes him probably their 2nd most important player. History will rate him more highly than I do (imo a very good but not great player - I'd have Scarlett ahead of him every day of the week). Pretty big loss for the Tiges.

My point being that good sides are the sum of its parts.

Recently, we have seen 2 sporting teams in completely different leagues (West Coast and the Philadelphia Eagles) win championships, despite losing some pretty important cogs during their campaign.

It'll be very interesting to see a) how Hardwick and his coaching team replace Rance. Will they opt for Garthwaite, or experiment with the untried but extremely athletic Balta?, and b) how Richmond's defensive unit reacts to Rance's absence.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Bandit » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:34 pm

Saw some news about Jones bump on Riewoldt deserving a week! What a joke. Is the AFL expecting Jones to just follow him around all game and be happy they are losing while Riewoldt is taking hangers? Its a mans game and you need to be able to exert some physical presence now and then. Didnt get him high so play on in my book.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Bandit wrote:Saw some news about Jones bump on Riewoldt deserving a week! What a joke. Is the AFL expecting Jones to just follow him around all game and be happy they are losing while Riewoldt is taking hangers? Its a mans game and you need to be able to exert some physical presence now and then. Didnt get him high so play on in my book.

AFLW is more of a man’s game now than what the AFL is.
Seen harder hits in netball.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2514 times

Postby MW » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:43 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Bandit wrote:Saw some news about Jones bump on Riewoldt deserving a week! What a joke. Is the AFL expecting Jones to just follow him around all game and be happy they are losing while Riewoldt is taking hangers? Its a mans game and you need to be able to exert some physical presence now and then. Didnt get him high so play on in my book.

Turn it up you two. He swung an arm into his stomach/chest while he was not looking 20m off the ball. Nothing tough in that. Deserves a week.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:45 pm

MW wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Turn it up you two. He swung an arm into his stomach/chest while he was not looking 20m off the ball. Nothing tough in that. Deserves a week.

Hope he doesn’t have a tummy ache
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2514 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:48 pm

MW wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Lol. Nothing wrong with it
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL