Eagles seeking compensation

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Eagles seeking compensation

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:25 am

Wedgie wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:I know for a fact that the Eagles captain was never told to call for a headcount. If someone has says otherwise it's a load of crap

I'm not aware of anyone that has said otherwise.

I saw a comment through the quotes that said the Eagles captain could have called for a head count.

Of course he could have, any captain of any team could have called for a count at any time, that was the rules. That's a different point again and an undisputed one I would think.

Yes I know that. The comment came across to me that he was aware north had 19 on and didn’t communicate it to the umpire.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby tipper » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 am

another grub wrote:Still not sure how u cocks sleep at night

quite well in my premiership tshirt, but thanks for your concern
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby allycat1965 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:58 pm

What really irks me with this is...

If it was YOUR club, you would all be jumping up and down, wanting compensation too...

And not letting it rest until said compensation happened, so how is it any different??
Go The Mighty Flying EAGLES!!!!
allycat1965
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:22 pm

If it was my club I'd be asking the big questions such as how they keep choking in finals and gave away a 47 point lead in a preliminary final after several years of falling apart in finals with very talented sides
WWTFC have done very well to deflect this and their supporters have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Eagles continue to collapse like a house of cards in finals or earlier until their supporters stand up and start asking the hard questions and their club concentrates on things they can fix.
The first presidents lunch at Woodville Oval might be interesting, luckily I have an invite! :)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Grenville » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:13 pm

another grub wrote:Still not sure how u cocks sleep at night

Erect.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:23 pm

Wedgie wrote:If it was my club I'd be asking the big questions such as how they keep choking in finals and gave away a 47 point lead in a preliminary final after several years of falling apart in finals with very talented sides
WWTFC have done very well to deflect this and their supporters have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Eagles continue to collapse like a house of cards in finals or earlier until their supporters stand up and start asking the hard questions and their club concentrates on things they can fix.
The first presidents lunch at Woodville Oval might be interesting, luckily I have an invite! :)

Fair call. For the last part of the 3rd, the whole of the 4th and the drive home that was exactly the feeling and if not for the 19th man thing there would’ve surely been some changes. As it turned out, there was a change of coach anyway and that’s probably for the best.

They may have lost anyway, or they may have won if the game was played fairly. Most Eagles supporters though (including me) gave the team the benefit of the doubt. It’s easier to be angry at the SANFL than your own team.

It remains to be seen whether the group is galvanised by this or they continue to falter in the big moments - if they’re good enough to earn a finals spot again.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:40 am

Aerie wrote:
Wedgie wrote:If it was my club I'd be asking the big questions such as how they keep choking in finals and gave away a 47 point lead in a preliminary final after several years of falling apart in finals with very talented sides

Fair call. For the last part of the 3rd, the whole of the 4th and the drive home that was exactly the feeling and if not for the 19th man thing there would’ve surely been some changes. As it turned out, there was a change of coach anyway and that’s probably for the best.

They may have lost anyway, or they may have won if the game was played fairly. Most Eagles supporters though (including me) gave the team the benefit of the doubt. It’s easier to be angry at the SANFL than your own team.

It remains to be seen whether the group is galvanised by this or they continue to falter in the big moments - if they’re good enough to earn a finals spot again.

History suggests it's the team you should be disappointed in, as you note it's not the first time you've been let down in the big moments.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby goddy11 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:47 am

Booney wrote:
Aerie wrote:

History suggests it's the team you should be disappointed in, as you note it's not the first time you've been let down in the big moments.

Fair enough Booney. All Eagle supporters are disappoint in letting a big lead go and also failing on the big stage recently. Suppose the Eagles had won, would North have received any punishment. Maybe a small fine. The SANFL made a bad error in restricting the magistrates ability (terms of reference) to give a fair result and they must in turn compensate the Eagles the best they can. So far the winners hear are the SANFL which pocketed $10k in fines and North which went on to win GF. The Eagles also have lost 2 player for match 1 for complaining.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:01 am

"The SANFL made a bad error in restricting the magistrates ability (terms of reference) to give a fair result"

They had a set of rules in place, are you saying you wanted them to change the rules for this particularly unusual event?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby StrayDog » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:52 am

goddy11 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Fair enough Booney. All Eagle supporters are disappoint in letting a big lead go and also failing on the big stage recently....

The Eagles' history of failure on the big stage is more than recently blowing three recent minor premierships (especially 2017) and last year's Prelim debacle. Springing to mind are the last quarter of the '94 Grand Final, minor premiership failure in 2000, averaging just 33 points in your first three GF's against Centrals (including 2004's 125 point belting.)

I'm probably labouring the point, and I don't mean to sound like a jerk here with my Club's early history in finals. Just reinforcing the point that the Eagles' problems go way deeper and further back than "recently" given how barren their trophy case is over almost thirty years despite being an outstanding opponent for many years since the merger.

For what it's worth I, personally, don't think the Eagles' own club president does the Eagles any favours by openly differentiating between "playing group" and "club" (see last quote, opening post.)
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:21 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:May I ask an innocent question?

Did WWT comply with this?

5.5 COUNTING OF PLAYERS 5.5.1 5.5.2 Request by Captain
The captain or acting captain of a Team may at any time during a Match request that the field Umpire count the number of Players of the opposing Team who are on the Playing Surface.

Not missing it’s irrelevant.

They didn’t due to a north adelaide officials “gross negligence” as per the sanfl ruling.

If it was as simple as Eagles didn’t ask for a headcount end of story.

North wouldn’t of been fined and deducted points for this year.

Btw for the record I think the SANFL made the correct call but Eagles should receive compensation.

Yet again we aren’t talking about millions of dollars. But $50k - $100k I don’t see as unreasonable.

It’s irrelevant because you say it is?
I don't think its irrelevant.
They didn't comply with the Laws of Australian Football. That's relevant.

The next bit is only my opinion:
I would have squashed the entire problem on the following Monday but why do that when you can string it out for a week and get some interest in your GF so the majority of spectators actually pay for a ticket?

Irrelevant cos the sanfl already ruled that the headcount didn’t occur due to north’s negligence.

Not because eagles stuffed up.

I checked: There is no Law that says SANFL ruling of negligence over-rides Law 5.5. Law 5.5 still applies.

In my view:

1. NA were negligent for having 19 men on
2. WWT were negligent for the Captain not calling a player count
3. SANFL were negligent for not applying the Laws in the strictest sense (but I have already proposed that there were probably other reasons why they chose not to)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby therisingblues » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:37 pm

allycat1965 wrote:What really irks me with this is...

If it was YOUR club, you would all be jumping up and down, wanting compensation too...

And not letting it rest until said compensation happened, so how is it any different??

As much as it would hurt, I would just have to suck it up and wear it.
Eagles should have called for a head count. They didn't. North were very, very lucky because of this.
I believe the decision to punish North post match was only made due to pressure applied from various parties. It is against the fabric of the game to change decisions made between the first and last siren of the match. What you see during the game, as it happens, is what you get. We should be able to take confidence in that fact and not have to worry about the game being settled by lawyers in a court room later. I feel as though the first step towards that scenario was taken after the Preliminary Final last year, to the games detriment.
N.B The AFL is completely full of shit when it says they'd have changed the result.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
I checked: There is no Law that says SANFL ruling of negligence over-rides Law 5.5. Law 5.5 still applies.

In my view:

3. SANFL were negligent for not applying the Laws in the strictest sense (but I have already proposed that there were probably other reasons why they chose not to)

The Eagles captain wasn't aware until after the game that north had 19 players on the ground.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:37 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

In my view:

The Eagles captain wasn't aware until after the game that north had 19 players on the ground.

Yes, but the Eagles bench knew about the situation, hence WWT were negligent.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:05 pm

mighty hounds wrote:The Eagles captain wasn't aware until after the game that north had 19 players on the ground.

I said WWT were negligent, not the Captain
How many assistant coaches and stats people in the box?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby kingrooster » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:55 am

Didn’t the Eagles have co-captains? If so they had 2 avenues to communicate to the umpires.
kingrooster
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby goddy11 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:34 am

kingrooster wrote:Didn’t the Eagles have co-captains? If so they had 2 avenues to communicate to the umpires.

it may be out there but they could possibly have been to busy trying to work out who is manning the extra man to be counting opposition players. :roll:
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:15 am

goddy11 wrote:
kingrooster wrote:Didn’t the Eagles have co-captains? If so they had 2 avenues to communicate to the umpires.

it may be out there but they could possibly have been to busy trying to work out who is manning the extra man to be counting opposition players. :roll:

And the (how many) coaches and assistant coaches?
This is nothing but a Gen Millenial “it’s not my fault! Everybody else is to blame”
WWT didn’t call a count in accordance with the Laws of Football FULL STOP
And I’m a Norwood member!
I am well aware most people have never read the Rules, but that rule is, colloquially, well known
Hell, if WWT had called a count, one of the WWT players would have probably jumped the fence in true WT style! ;)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

This is nothing but a Gen Millenial “it’s not my fault! Everybody else is to blame”
I am well aware most people have never read the Rules, but that rule is, colloquially, well known
Hell, if WWT had called a count, one of the WWT players would have probably jumped the fence in true WT style! ;)

Totally incorrect. Many WT players jumped the fence at the time. :D
Why would the WWT players do it on this occasion.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:37 pm

goddy11 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
goddy11 wrote:it may be out there but they could possibly have been to busy trying to work out who is manning the extra man to be counting opposition players. :roll:

Totally incorrect. Many WT players jumped the fence at the time. :D
Why would the WWT players do it on this occasion.

To triple the Eagles supporters on that side of the fence? ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL