Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Re: Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Postby JD1981 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:24 am

no_remorse28 wrote:Has anybody got there young kids playing golf, like junior competitions and things like that, my daughter has been involved in clinics and academy lessons for a while but never played other kids, just when I’ve taken her out for fun is about the only time she gets on the course and I can’t find a great deal of info on the net besides the mid north junior academy, who happen to have all three tournaments on the sundays I work.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, her current club doesn’t appear ready to hold regular junior comps.

She is 7 going on 8 if any one knows of anything,

No sure where you are located mate, but they do have effectively a league for juniors in the age range of 8-12, see attached link: https://www.mygolf.org.au/, not sure if you're already at a club, but many would be involved in this.

I know at my club Thaxted, we have junior clinics on Wednesday arvos, Saturday mornings for beginners, then an advanced clinic for juniors at 1pm, followed by a 6 hole comp every Saturday arvo, where they all have handicaps...
JD1981
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby MatteeG » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:23 am

Fella at Flaggy on Sunday hit a 63 off Scratch for 45 points... Reckon I had 63 chips...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby no_remorse28 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:28 am

JD1981 wrote:
no_remorse28 wrote:Has anybody got there young kids playing golf, like junior competitions and things like that, my daughter has been involved in clinics and academy lessons for a while but never played other kids, just when I’ve taken her out for fun is about the only time she gets on the course and I can’t find a great deal of info on the net besides the mid north junior academy, who happen to have all three tournaments on the sundays I work.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, her current club doesn’t appear ready to hold regular junior comps.

No sure where you are located mate, but they do have effectively a league for juniors in the age range of 8-12, see attached link: https://www.mygolf.org.au/, not sure if you're already at a club, but many would be involved in this.

I know at my club Thaxted, we have junior clinics on Wednesday arvos, Saturday mornings for beginners, then an advanced clinic for juniors at 1pm, followed by a 6 hole comp every Saturday arvo, where they all have handicaps...

Yeah she is at sandy creek mate, we are out near gawler. She does the weekend clinics and is in there academy which train once a week, she loves it but is eager to compete a little as well as get more course time which with my work is tough for me to get her out during the week, so ideally a weekend event is perfect. I'll look into that link. Cheers for that
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby JD1981 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:32 pm

no_remorse28 wrote:
JD1981 wrote:

Yeah she is at sandy creek mate, we are out near gawler. She does the weekend clinics and is in there academy which train once a week, she loves it but is eager to compete a little as well as get more course time which with my work is tough for me to get her out during the week, so ideally a weekend event is perfect. I'll look into that link. Cheers for that

No probs, i'd give that link a try, there'd certainly be a club somewhere out north participating in the mygolf league, even if it meant a sunday trip to TTG or something, I'd like to think no club would turn away a junior from amalgamating with other clubs for that league... Good luck with it all...
JD1981
Mini-League

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Well well well, surprisingly played well. No shanks off the tee.
Took driver out and replaced it with the 5w, no real reason, just for something different.
Cored greens were quite tricky like pinball machine bouncing everywhere.
But overall the game was quite solid. Found a couple of interesting lies, but this week I was able to have a shot and progress the ball, and shots from the trees actually missed the trees this week!!
Around the greens used my 9i for chip n runs and those worked out nicely.
Played with a couple of older guys, one carries a 9w and certainly hit it alright. They mentioned its gonna take about 3yrs for the fairways to recover. The summer has caused havoc.Image

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby JD1981 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:07 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Well well well, surprisingly played well. No shanks off the tee.
Took driver out and replaced it with the 5w, no real reason, just for something different.
Cored greens were quite tricky like pinball machine bouncing everywhere.
But overall the game was quite solid. Found a couple of interesting lies, but this week I was able to have a shot and progress the ball, and shots from the trees actually missed the trees this week!!
Around the greens used my 9i for chip n runs and those worked out nicely.
Played with a couple of older guys, one carries a 9w and certainly hit it alright. They mentioned its gonna take about 3yrs for the fairways to recover. The summer has caused havoc.Image

Hi mate, well played yesterday.

Not sure who you played with... the comment about fairways taking 3 yrs to come back is very incorrect. The couch base is still thick... If we get a decent winter it’ll be perfect next spring again... best couch covering we’ve ever had to handle this dry spell...

Couch is a very tough grass, you’ll be amazed how it’ll bounce back
JD1981
Mini-League

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Par comp

Played ok, but again with cored greens that are close to getting back to norm it was hard to take putting seriously.
Ended up at +2. So quite happy with that in the end.
Looks like we will be playing a few of the other recipirical courses before the season ends!
Even a weekend to Sandy Creek might be on the cards!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby carey » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:01 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Par comp

Played ok, but again with cored greens that are close to getting back to norm it was hard to take putting seriously.
Looks like we will be playing a few of the other recipirical courses before the season ends!

Don’t do it!

Disgusting conditions
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:03 pm

carey wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Par comp

Don’t do it!

Disgusting conditions
I know, I remembered you said that, but i still wouldnt mind having a gander.

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Had a hit at Flaggy yesterday, they have a $20 per round special each Monday, the best bit is they keep it going even on Public Holidays, cant beat that value! Greens are in really good nick, can tell they have been pouring the water into them at the expense of the fairways that badly need some rain, as does their dam near the 7th, its so dry you can see thousands of balls down the bottom that have been lost over the years!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Dutchy wrote:Had a hit at Flaggy yesterday, they have a $20 per round special each Monday, the best bit is they keep it going even on Public Holidays, cant beat that value! Greens are in really good nick, can tell they have been pouring the water into them at the expense of the fairways that badly need some rain, as does their dam near the 7th, its so dry you can see thousands of balls down the bottom that have been lost over the years!

Not the only dry course around!

The lads have booked us in for The Vines this weekend.
Interested to see the changes they made around the place
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:03 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Had a hit at Flaggy yesterday, they have a $20 per round special each Monday, the best bit is they keep it going even on Public Holidays, cant beat that value! Greens are in really good nick, can tell they have been pouring the water into them at the expense of the fairways that badly need some rain, as does their dam near the 7th, its so dry you can see thousands of balls down the bottom that have been lost over the years!

Not the only dry course around!

The lads have booked us in for The Vines this weekend.
Interested to see the changes they made around the place
No such moisture issues at West Lakes [emoji6]
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:58 pm

Back at The Vines for a hit.

Course is in superb condition.
Fairways nice and lush, very soft underfoot.
Greens are quicker than they were previously, but all ran consistent speed. Areas around the greens have also improved, not that they were horrible before.
They have cleared out a lot of the rubbish from under the trees/bushes etc so its much easier to find balls etc....thats very handy for a hacker!
Golf was solid without being good or bad. Had a few putts that just either sat on the edge or rolled past the edge.
Apparently theyve offered us $2700 for 7 day memberships for next 18 months. $150 month and no water levy it looks like a no brainer
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:41 pm

**** this game.

Started on 10th. 2 pts.
Par 3 11th, no draw, so over path amongst trees. Had to hit it low and run it up. Hit it low and bang into a branch....ball basically rolled back to me...
13th ball hit a hazard marker and into the creek. Pick up move on.
Then par 3 15th. Hit a nice 56, but it just started too far right. Hit trees and pinballed further right...pick up.
4pts after 5.

16th, hit a drive into trees, but punched out to 75m and a majestic 56 for a tap in 2 footer

17th horror heel drive but got away with it and made a 5

18th. Used the baffler, pushed it right, caught the trees. Layed up before hazard. But a nice low running hybrid from 180m rolled up nice.
11pts front 9.
It didnt feel that bad, but then it also wasnt that good...

1st, smashed a drive, basically out of the sweet spot and ended up in the trees down the right, a fair way down. Punched thru the trees and made Par.
From there on, it was a scoring feast.
2nd - par
3rd - hybrid runner was short but the chip on was superb, looked like it was gonna drop. Par
4th - driver and faded nicely up the right side. Unfortunately it sat amongst the trees and didnt roll out as they normally do.
Roughly 100m out, 2 trees blocking my run at the green, a few trees on the right about 30m up. Had to hit a draw/hook around the trees and hope with tje lean of fairway i could get it around the green. Well **** me, my plan was executed perfectly, and it rolled out onto the green and settled at the back edge. Just a shot you see on tv.... :lol: id never do it again...par
5th, nasty slice, but recovered. Had a putt just off green and as the ball slows down it does a u turn....ffs. 5 and bogey.
6th. A drive that went gun barrel straight. Then a hybrid from 212. Just a 3/4 swing, you only have to really get the ball rolling from the top of the hill and it feeds down. Long eagle putt was nicely lagged. Birdie putt skimmed the edge and another par.
7th - poor slice drive, ended up near GUR, once was a temp green. Ended with a 6 there...
8th par 3, no draw on the 8i and ended up out on the 4th rough. Chipped thru onto green and 2 putt for 2 pts
9th.....horror vanilla slice, out on the 1st fairway. Got the hybrid to run it down there, and clipped the big bloody tree, no idea where it ended. Get down there and just short of green, then an 8i runner to just past the hole and a handy par to finish the day. And 21pts on back 9 :lol: :roll:

32pts overall.....on a day that could've been 22 or 42 :D
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:29 pm

Had the arvo cleared out.
Headed to thaxted
Saw a mate in the carpark, he been away for a few months and only just been practicing at home. Plays off 8, so can hit a ball.
So we played front 9 and he played brilliantly the bastard :evil: :D i can see that 8 dropping quicksmart.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:31 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Had the arvo cleared out.
Headed to thaxted
Saw a mate in the carpark, he been away for a few months and only just been practicing at home. Plays off 8, so can hit a ball.
So we played front 9 and he played brilliantly the bastard :evil: :D i can see that 8 dropping quicksmart.

I can guarantee you won’t have those types of problems with your playing partner on Thursday.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:38 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Headed to thaxted

I can guarantee you won’t have those types of problems with your playing partner on Thursday.
#playsoffscratch

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:41 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
Headed to thaxted

#playsoffscratch

#playscratchy
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Missus and I are booked in for a round of golf in a couple of weeks at Mirage Country Club Port Douglass. Looking forward to it. Looks like a bloody nice course and reasonably priced. $140.00 each which includes a golf cart and hire sticks (good sticks too, not a dodgey set from all reports).
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Corona Man » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:55 am

Cracking day for a hit. 27 and light winds. I better start working on the excuses early!
Corona Man
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf