AFL media

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL media

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Bum Crack wrote:Not if you're getting paid monthly. Young lads with a 4k payment approx after tax once a month. That will go in no time.

When i was a trainee i was getting that monthly - first couple of months were a struggling but you quickly learn to budget properly and it's not so bad. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4001 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:38 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Interesting discussion with Brad Ebert on the radio this morning about player payments, he said they all get paid at the end of each month but the younger fringe-like players and rookies get match payments paid mid-month too, I wish it went into a bit more detail.

Probably because the rookies are on bugger all, so they get paid fortnightly, as opposed to the blokes on the big bucks who are getting $40k plus a month and don't need money rolling in each fortnight.

I thought that might be the case, but then rookies would still be on 60k a year roughly wouldn't they? Still a reasonable monthly income.

First round draftee's are on $88,000 and rookies $71,000 ( + match payments if they play ).

They'd eat breakfast and lunch at the club, they'd be with host families for at least their first year or out with senior players during the week ( according to their Instagram feeds, anyway ) so I think they're doing ok.

Players have been on monthly salaries for years. Someone like Ebert, probably $500-600k would manage alright from month to month as $41,000-50,000 per month hits the bank.....makes you sick, doesn't it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:38 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Interesting discussion with Brad Ebert on the radio this morning about player payments, he said they all get paid at the end of each month but the younger fringe-like players and rookies get match payments paid mid-month too, I wish it went into a bit more detail.

Probably because the rookies are on bugger all, so they get paid fortnightly, as opposed to the blokes on the big bucks who are getting $40k plus a month and don't need money rolling in each fortnight.

I thought that might be the case, but then rookies would still be on 60k a year roughly wouldn't they? Still a reasonable monthly income.

Not if you're getting paid monthly. Young lads with a 4k payment approx after tax once a month. That will go in no time.

Don't forget they are being boarded out free of charge....so no rent, they don't need to pay for food, nearly all their medical expenses are paid for by the club and the list of benefits go on.

I could be wrong but I do believe if they are studying outside of football their HECS are generally covered as well. That is what a couple of ex rookies told me whether it be true or not.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:42 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Not if you're getting paid monthly. Young lads with a 4k payment approx after tax once a month. That will go in no time.

When i was a trainee i was getting that monthly - first couple of months were a struggling but you quickly learn to budget properly and it's not so bad. :lol:

I've been getting paid monthly for over 10 years and it still sucks balls.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Bum Crack wrote:

Yeah, to some degree, their pay would fluctuate I'd imagine, the senior players would be on a set salary, the younger ones on a retainer plus extra for games played.

I know a Crows rookie a few years ago got a $35K retainer along with about $10K-$15K furniture voucher to move into a mentor's house.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I have too for 17 of the past 20 years, you live in reverse, pay all your bills the day after payday, live like you're broke for 3 weeks and lash out on the home stretch, having the missus on a similar wage and getting paid fortnightly has been a Godsend.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I have too for 17 of the past 20 years, you live in reverse, pay all your bills the day after payday, live like you're broke for 3 weeks and lash out on the home stretch, having the missus on a similar wage and getting paid fortnightly has been a Godsend.

I get paid the Tuesday before the 15th of the month, I have 4-6 "5 week" months per year ( depending on dates ), I'll never get used to it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:13 pm

Booney wrote:I get paid the Tuesday before the 15th of the month, I have 4-6 "5 week" months per year ( depending on dates ), I'll never get used to it.

You and I had an argument about this on here many years ago as I said I rated February as I only wait 28 days until my next pay.

My pay date is the 8th, usually goes in 8pm on the 7th, quite often on a Thursday night if the 8th is on a weekend or Monday, probably a bad thing.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Booney wrote:I get paid the Tuesday before the 15th of the month, I have 4-6 "5 week" months per year ( depending on dates ), I'll never get used to it.

I hear ya, especially because I rent it's awkward - I have a spreadsheet and budget out all the way past Christmas each year, so I know when i have those "5 week" months coming up means extra fortnightly rent payment falls in it - generally i always get one around December.. always creates a headache.

Lightning McQueen wrote:you live in reverse, pay all your bills the day after payday, live like you're broke for 3 weeks and lash out on the home stretch.
Literally describes my life :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:28 pm

The Bedge wrote:

I hear ya, especially because I rent it's awkward - I have a spreadsheet and budget out all the way past Christmas each year, so I know when i have those "5 week" months coming up means extra fortnightly rent payment falls in it - generally i always get one around December.. always creates a headache.

Lightning McQueen wrote:you live in reverse, pay all your bills the day after payday, live like you're broke for 3 weeks and lash out on the home stretch.
Literally describes my life :lol:

I'm just waiting for my modelling career to take off.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:33 pm

What's plan B?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:33 pm

I get paid fortnightly, I am the richest poor person I know... Thank Christ I don't get paid monthly
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:36 pm

I feel for you blokes. I’m lucky in that I’ve never had a job that doesn’t pay weekly. I reckon I would struggle badly trying to adapt to monthly pay
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Booney wrote:What's plan B?

Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:44 pm

Jim05 wrote:I feel for you blokes. I’m lucky in that I’ve never had a job that doesn’t pay weekly. I reckon I would struggle badly trying to adapt to monthly pay

They say it takes about 3 years to adjust, I'm not sure who "they" are though.

About the only positive is that you are generally paid in advance, all good until you leave I guess.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Mrs HH3 gets paid fortnightly, whereas I get paid weekly, so all I do is get her to give me 2 weeks worth of for the bills and put half in a separate account and pretend its not there til the next week.

I do the same thing if I get paid in advance for whatever reason (pay day being a public holiday, Xmas holidays, etc.)

Really all you need to do is divide it by however many weeks it needs to cover and "pay yourself" weekly. Just need discipline not to touch it.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:06 pm

HH3 wrote:Mrs HH3 gets paid fortnightly, whereas I get paid weekly, so all I do is get her to give me 2 weeks worth of for the bills and put half in a separate account and pretend its not there til the next week.

I do the same thing if I get paid in advance for whatever reason (pay day being a public holiday, Xmas holidays, etc.)

Really all you need to do is divide it by however many weeks it needs to cover and "pay yourself" weekly. Just need discipline not to touch it.

You don't drink or punt, do you?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:Mrs HH3 gets paid fortnightly, whereas I get paid weekly, so all I do is get her to give me 2 weeks worth of for the bills and put half in a separate account and pretend its not there til the next week.

You don't drink or punt, do you?

I punt. It doesnt matter anyway.

Say you get paid $3200/mth.

Put it all in an account.

On payday (lets say Monday) take $800, leaving $2400 in the holding account, pay your weekly bills, have the rest as spending money.

The following Monday, take $800, leaving $1600 in the holding account, pay your weekly bills, have the rest as spending money.

The following Monday, take $800, leaving $800 in the holding account, pay your weekly bills, have the rest as spending money.

The following Monday, take $800, leaving $0 in the holding account, pay your weekly bills, have the rest as spending money.

The following payday, get paid. Rinse and repeat. You now get paid weekly.
Last edited by HH3 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby MW » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:18 pm

I get paid monthly for 15 years and don't even notice the difference
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1849 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:23 pm

HH3 wrote:
I punt. It doesnt matter anyway.

Say you get paid $3200/mth.

Put it all in an account.

On payday (lets say Monday) take $800, leaving $2400 in the holding account, pay your weekly bills, have the rest as spending money.

The following Monday, take $800, leaving $1600 in the holding account, pay your weekly bills, have the rest as spending money.

The following Monday, take $800, leaving $800 in the holding account, pay your weekly bills, have the rest as spending money.

The following Monday, take $800, leaving $0 in the holding account, pay your weekly bills, have the rest as spending money.

The following payday, get paid. Rinse and repeat. You now get paid weekly.

Ah yeah nah
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL