LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 am

Sack Hinkley.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:57 am

MW wrote:You forgot this man...one day by the time he retires he will try and win a ball before pleading for a free kick

Change your password mate, Wubbsy has found your password.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:03 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Spargo wrote:Beat an underdone, overrated, bog ordinary Melbourne
Scraped home against Carlton after getting a massive fright
Lost to Brisbane when in a good position
Crumbled meekly against a very ordinary Richmond side at home
Lucky the mob down the road are going like busted arses or the blowtorch would be more on Hinkley & his team...

Hinkley’s a protected species for some reason.

Smart man brought himself 12 months by turning over the list like he did over the summer. Brought in the kids to rejuvenate the playing group, buys himself some grace as they settle in.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:05 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Lucky the mob down the road are going like busted arses or the blowtorch would be more on Hinkley & his team...

Smart man brought himself 12 months by turning over the list like he did over the summer. Brought in the kids to rejuvenate the playing group, buys himself some grace as they settle in.

How much time has he brought?
Would not making finals be the end for him or are you saying he will definitely be there next year regardless?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:08 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

He’s definitely a smart man as he got a new contract when many argued he shouldn’t.
If he misses finals again surely that’s it?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

How much time has he brought?
Would not making finals be the end for him or are you saying he will definitely be there next year regardless?

Brought himself this year I'd imagine, we can't afford to pay him out so I'd say he's there next year and if there's no results then we'd be paying out his final year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 am

amber_fluid wrote:He’s definitely a smart man as he got a new contract when many argued he shouldn’t.

He'll be there next year either way.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:He’s definitely a smart man as he got a new contract when many argued he shouldn’t.

Most clubs can’t afford to pay out their coach but does there come a time when money lost through gate takings, sponsorships etc starts to outweigh the cost of sacking a coach?
Probably why I’m not a fan of boards extending contracts too early and for too long as we have found out aswell
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:24 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Most clubs can’t afford to pay out their coach but does there come a time when money lost through gate takings, sponsorships etc starts to outweigh the cost of sacking a coach?
Probably why I’m not a fan of boards extending contracts too early and for too long as we have found out aswell

We'll finish mid table with a mid table list.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:42 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

I think right there boon. The game on the weekend showed where you are at and that is mid table. However not all is lost as the kids look alright. They were all a bit quieter Saturday night which showed that they struggled with Richmond's pressure game. Which but the way shows that Richmond will be around the mark with a few players back.

Still find it odd that you went in without another big tall like Marshall up there.

Interesting to see what you bring over to Perth.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:48 am

stan wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:[quote="amber_fluid"]
He’s definitely a smart man as he got a new contract when many argued he shouldn’t.

I think right there boon. The game on the weekend showed where you are at and that is mid table. However not all is lost as the kids look alright. They were all a bit quieter Saturday night which showed that they struggled with Richmond's pressure game. Which but the way shows that Richmond will be around the mark with a few players back.

Still find it odd that you went in without another big tall like Marshall up there.

Interesting to see what you bring over to Perth.[/quote]
Every time I see Marshall he looks like a bit of a gem, can’t fathom how he can’t get a game
Jim05
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:20 am

Marshall kicked four goals yesterday in SANFL and looked good, he will play AFL this week in Perth.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:48 am

Never underestimate a wounded opponent……

Certainly not one that has a proven system, manic pressure and (I hate saying it) nothing to lose. Put simply Richmond came to town sans 5 of their stars and went home with the 4 points because they out worked, out hussled and out smarted Port Adelaide to win by 7 points on Saturday afternoon.

In an unusual series of events Port Adelaide actually started well on the weekend, with 4 goals in the first quarter to Ebert, one to Robbie and 2 to Sammy Gray Port arrested the slow starts that had us playing catch up in the first 3 weeks, problem was Richmond had 2.5 at the other end and the scene was set for a real fight. There were signs that Port wasn’t handling the Richmond pressure around the contest, too.
Port had 41 more touches in the first quarter, 41! 40 of them uncontested (Port have averaged 57 more that our opponents in the first 3 weeks, an AFL high) as Richmond sat off Port’s half backs and mids waiting for the inevitable skill error or poor decision that has plagued this Port side for 3 years. It worked as Richmond made the most of these errors and if Port didn’t make an error on their own Richmond pressured us into one.

The second started as the first, Wines and Ebert get the first two and Port get out to a 15 point lead for the second time in the match and it looked, momentarily anyway, that Port were right on top. Not so. Quick goals to Lynch and Bolton and the margin is back under a goal, Powell-Pepper goals before Ellis ends the half with a major and Port take the most slender of leads into half time. But the signs weren’t good.
Richmond had 7 more I50’s in the quarter, won 6 more clearances with 3 of them resulting in goals. The pressure around the ball was back up for Richmond and we didn’t handle it, Prestia, Lambert and Ross were winning the clearance battle with Rockliff, Boak and Wines. Port’s pressure wasn’t there, just 17 tackles for the half, sure we had more of the ball but when Richmond had it they just took it away with leg speed and ball use superior to ours.

This is where it got messy.

Even though the Tiges only led by 2 points at ¾ time the signs were there for all to see. Ryder kicked the first of the term before the Tigers banged on the next 4, 2 for Lynch back to back after Burton pushed the new Tiger moments after he kicked his third for the match to give him the easiest of 4th goals. This is football in 2019, the penalty for minor indiscretions is more evident than ever before, umpires are whistle happy and the only way to avoid copping the penalty is simply not do it. Was a big price for Burton and Port, but there was simply no need to do it.
Port’s zone wasn’t working, the Tiges were out hussling Port in transition and getting scoring opportunities from close to goal. 5 straight for the term, 4 from the goal square. Port looked slow in defence and unsure on offence. Westhoff was being held, Rozee and Butters were trying but doing what first year players do, finding it hard to be in every minute of every match.

The last was a good half hour of footy, even though Port were on the wrong end of it. 7 goals for the quarter, 4 lead changes, missed and taken opportunities and again it was Richmond’s pressure on Port’s mids that won them the game. Port had 8 I50’s inside in the first 6 minutes of the last quarter, didn’t score once from them as they were shallow and to the advantage of the Tigers defenders. Nothing was getting past Grimes in particular who had a sensational last 15 minutes. Richmond made easy work of moving the ball from defence once they won it, 3 goals from D50 possessions as they went coast to coast. Port led I50’s 12-5 for the quarter but couldn’t make the most of it.

More touches, more I50’s, more marks, more clearances, more hitouts, more, more, more, less goals and less points though and for second week in a row Port have all the KPI’s pointing in our direction bar one, the score board. Frustrating, or what? Too little from too many, Westhoff and R.Gray had little impact, all 4 of the first year players had their moments but couldn’t sustain the effort across 4 quarters and for the second week running Motlop had less impact than I did.

Boons best – Rockliff, Houston, Ebert, Boak, Byrne-Jones

What I liked – Not much, to be blunt, hard pressed to come up with anything, Drew showed some grit, Wines looked better for the Brisbane run and not much else comes to mind.

What I didn’t – Out coached, out worked, out numbered when it mattered, selection baffled me and Motlop was nowhere to be seen.

2-2 with a trip to Perth. Yuck.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:27 am

Booney wrote:Port had 8 I50’s inside in the first 6 minutes of the last quarter, didn’t score once from them as they were shallow and to the advantage of the Tigers defenders. Nothing was getting past Grimes in particular who had a sensational last 15 minutes. Richmond made easy work of moving the ball from defence once they won it, 3 goals from D50 possessions as they went coast to coast. Port led I50’s 12-5 for the quarter but couldn’t make the most of it.

We made Grimes look like a 10 time AA with some of our forward delivery in that last quarter. I play C grade ammo's every saturday morning down in the back 6, and dead set, some of Port's forward delivery is reminiscent of what I spend Saturday mornings defending. High, hospital kicks to 1 on 4 contests (easy pickings for players of my ability), which is the end result of slow ball movement up field riddled with poor skills missing targets, or our talls going on searching leads up to the wing regions then having to slow the play up whilst we wait for our other ruckman/hybrid tall (Westy) to move forward to provide an option.

Drop Marshall (or any tall that we have omitted from our side early in the season for the past 4 years) and our structure falls to absolute shit. It is classic Hinkley, and Saturday's result whilst incredibly disappointing, was entirely forseeable.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby David Brent » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Booney wrote:Never underestimate a wounded opponent……

Certainly not one that has a proven system, manic pressure and (I hate saying it) nothing to lose. Put simply Richmond came to town sans 5 of their stars and went home with the 4 points because they out worked, out hussled and out smarted Port Adelaide to win by 7 points on Saturday afternoon.

In an unusual series of events Port Adelaide actually started well on the weekend, with 4 goals in the first quarter to Ebert, one to Robbie and 2 to Sammy Gray Port arrested the slow starts that had us playing catch up in the first 3 weeks, problem was Richmond had 2.5 at the other end and the scene was set for a real fight. There were signs that Port wasn’t handling the Richmond pressure around the contest, too.
Port had 41 more touches in the first quarter, 41! 40 of them uncontested (Port have averaged 57 more that our opponents in the first 3 weeks, an AFL high) as Richmond sat off Port’s half backs and mids waiting for the inevitable skill error or poor decision that has plagued this Port side for 3 years. It worked as Richmond made the most of these errors and if Port didn’t make an error on their own Richmond pressured us into one.

The second started as the first, Wines and Ebert get the first two and Port get out to a 15 point lead for the second time in the match and it looked, momentarily anyway, that Port were right on top. Not so. Quick goals to Lynch and Bolton and the margin is back under a goal, Powell-Pepper goals before Ellis ends the half with a major and Port take the most slender of leads into half time. But the signs weren’t good.
Richmond had 7 more I50’s in the quarter, won 6 more clearances with 3 of them resulting in goals. The pressure around the ball was back up for Richmond and we didn’t handle it, Prestia, Lambert and Ross were winning the clearance battle with Rockliff, Boak and Wines. Port’s pressure wasn’t there, just 17 tackles for the half, sure we had more of the ball but when Richmond had it they just took it away with leg speed and ball use superior to ours.

Even though the Tiges only led by 2 points at ¾ time the signs were there for all to see. Ryder kicked the first of the term before the Tigers banged on the next 4, 2 for Lynch back to back after Burton pushed the new Tiger moments after he kicked his third for the match to give him the easiest of 4th goals. This is football in 2019, the penalty for minor indiscretions is more evident than ever before, umpires are whistle happy and the only way to avoid copping the penalty is simply not do it. Was a big price for Burton and Port, but there was simply no need to do it.
Port’s zone wasn’t working, the Tiges were out hussling Port in transition and getting scoring opportunities from close to goal. 5 straight for the term, 4 from the goal square. Port looked slow in defence and unsure on offence. Westhoff was being held, Rozee and Butters were trying but doing what first year players do, finding it hard to be in every minute of every match.

The last was a good half hour of footy, even though Port were on the wrong end of it. 7 goals for the quarter, 4 lead changes, missed and taken opportunities and again it was Richmond’s pressure on Port’s mids that won them the game. Port had 8 I50’s inside in the first 6 minutes of the last quarter, didn’t score once from them as they were shallow and to the advantage of the Tigers defenders. Nothing was getting past Grimes in particular who had a sensational last 15 minutes. Richmond made easy work of moving the ball from defence once they won it, 3 goals from D50 possessions as they went coast to coast. Port led I50’s 12-5 for the quarter but couldn’t make the most of it.

More touches, more I50’s, more marks, more clearances, more hitouts, more, more, more, less goals and less points though and for second week in a row Port have all the KPI’s pointing in our direction bar one, the score board. Frustrating, or what? Too little from too many, Westhoff and R.Gray had little impact, all 4 of the first year players had their moments but couldn’t sustain the effort across 4 quarters and for the second week running Motlop had less impact than I did.

What I liked – Not much, to be blunt, hard pressed to come up with anything, Drew showed some grit, Wines looked better for the Brisbane run and not much else comes to mind.

What I didn’t – Out coached, out worked, out numbered when it mattered, selection baffled me and Motlop was nowhere to be seen.

Good run down Boon. I was at a wedding & missed a majority of the game, getting score updates when I could. Did manage to watch a replay of the last quarter late last night.

Happy with that result, been spoken about as our best win since the flag. I hope its one of those wins that can galvanise a group & give them confidence going forward.

Apart from Grimes heroics what I loved in the last quarter was despite making a huge howler, costing us a goal & copping it big time from the opposition & crowd young Sydney Stack stood tall & won some crucial contests after that to help win us the game. He's looks good to me & by all reports young Ross played very well on debut also.

Appears we kept the Hoff & Gray very quiet, Ports 2 best players IMO so no doubt that was the key.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby carey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Booney wrote:Never underestimate a wounded opponent……

Motlop dropped
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2808 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:25 am

I keep hearing Port saying they 'cant afford' to pay out Hinkley.

I pose this question, can they afford to continue to not improve and go no where under Hinkley? Surely that has significant financial implications.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 am

whufc wrote:I keep hearing Port saying they 'cant afford' to pay out Hinkley.

I pose this question, can they afford to continue to not improve and go no where under Hinkley? Surely that has significant financial implications.

Kochie, KT and the board would have to admit they got it wrong also which won’t happen.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby MW » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:33 am

whufc wrote:I keep hearing Port saying they 'cant afford' to pay out Hinkley.

No club can afford to do it anymore with a salary cap on football dept spend now.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL