Adelaide Crows 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2019

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Gozu wrote:I think some have forgotten how dominant McLeod was especially playing in the hardest position/area on the ground.

Which area of the ground are you referring to? Surely not Half Back?
I would argue that Centre Half Forward would be the hardest part of/position to play on the ground.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Gozu » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:34 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Gozu wrote:I think some have forgotten how dominant McLeod was especially playing in the hardest position/area on the ground.

I would argue that Centre Half Forward would be the hardest part of/position to play on the ground.

At the peak of his career McLeod was a mid-fielder.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:03 pm

Gozu wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

At the peak of his career McLeod was a mid-fielder.
Ah fair enough and yes I agree with that but I disagree with the midfield being the hardest position/area on the ground, IMO it is CHF, looking from the point of view that you need to have more outstanding attributes to be a match winning CHF compared to a match winning midfielder.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:33 pm

He was surprised. :lol:

Adelaide star Josh Jenkins has revealed he was ‘very dirty’ to be dropped for Sunday’s game against Gold Coast and let his feelings be known to Don Pyke when the news was delivered over the phone.

The Crows’ coach has made two big statements at the selection table in the past fortnight. He sent shockwaves through the AFL when he axed Bryce Gibbs after three rounds, before chopping Jenkins last weekend.

Eddie Betts (six goals), Taylor Walker (three goals) and Lachlan Murphy (three goals) all cashed in on much better supply at Adelaide Oval on Sunday night, while Jenkins struggled to make an impact in the SANFL, finishing without any goals to his name from 11 disposals.

“I was pretty dirty. Let’s be frank. I was very dirty. I certainly made that clear to Don when I spoke to him. We certainly disagreed about a few things,” Jenkins said on SEN on Tuesday morning.

“We had a robust discussion, that’s true. I was pretty strong in my thoughts and what I thought I can offer the team but ultimately, it’s his decision and the match committee’s decision.

“I took four hours but that’s the beauty of having a young baby these days, I was able to throw myself into her needs and sort of forget about footy quickly. It’s certainly difficult but not the end of the world, that’s for sure.”

After a slow start to 2019 Jenkins found out he was being dropped over the phone, just like Gibbs seven days earlier.

“I heard late Thursday — not too long before the teams were announced — so at one point I thought perhaps I was going to find out on the news like everyone else. But I got the phone call from Don and clearly it wasn’t the news I was after,” Jenkins said.

“I was pretty dirty for a while but I had to take my medicine and go back and play at Noarlunga on Saturday afternoon and that’s what I did.”

Adelaide will need to replace Wayne Milera for Saturday’s game against St Kilda at Marvel Stadium, after the young gun injured his shoulder in the big win over the Suns.

While he didn’t set the world on fire against South Adelaide on Saturday, Jenkins believes he can come straight back into Pyke’s side if the Crows look to stretch an undersized St Kilda defence that will now be missing Jarryn Geary due to a badly corked thigh that has hospitalised the Saints’ skipper.

“It is not unrealistic (that I can come straight back in) because I think the coaches and everyone is aware of what my best football looks like and it is still certainly AFL standard,” he said.

“I feel like I can come back into the side no problems.

“It was a difficult day to play ahead of the ball. The only opportunities where I felt really in the game was when I got to go into the ruck, so perhaps I should have gone in there a bit more.

“Forwards at both ends of the ground really struggled on the day. It was a bit of a midfielders day out.

“Personally, certainly I’ve had bigger days. I created a few goals early but there were a couple of other guys who set the world alight and hopefully they can get their chance.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:37 pm

BWHAHAHA. You're shit mate.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:BWHAHAHA. You're shit mate.

regards,

REB

The guys clearly delusional.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:41 pm

Does this peanut watch the replays to see what we see?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:44 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Does this peanut watch the replays to see what we see?

He clearly doesn't come here for his match reviews and quality appraisals.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:48 pm

mots02 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Does this peanut watch the replays to see what we see?

He clearly doesn't come here for his match reviews and quality appraisals.

He should he’d learn a few things ;)
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Could become a genuine #1 ruckman if he could develop his craft in that area of the ground. At 199cm, he carries the height and athleticism, but would need to bulk up to be effective at around the ground stoppages. Not a key forward if you cannot get up at the footy and take a grab when it's your turn.

If he had these elements to his key forward game alongside his athleticism, he justifies the big coin he is currently on. He is a one trick pony, and that out the back run into goal has been denied of him, and the AFC.

His card has been marked, unless he can develop the forward craft, or bulk up and challenge ROB for that number #1 ruck role.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Are Adelaide back?
Are Gold Coast just crap and have had the spoils of a favourable early draw?
Have St. Kilda enjoyed the same dream start?

Toughest game to select this round IMO.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:36 pm

valleys07 wrote:Could become a genuine #1 ruckman if he could develop his craft in that area of the ground. At 199cm, he carries the height and athleticism, but would need to bulk up to be effective at around the ground stoppages. Not a key forward if you cannot get up at the footy and take a grab when it's your turn.

If he had these elements to his key forward game alongside his athleticism, he justifies the big coin he is currently on. He is a one trick pony, and that out the back run into goal has been denied of him, and the AFC.

His card has been marked, unless he can develop the forward craft, or bulk up and challenge ROB for that number #1 ruck role.

He needs to stop sleeping with the light on as well!
Last edited by amber_fluid on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:44 pm

valleys07 wrote:Could become a genuine #1 ruckman if he could develop his craft in that area of the ground. At 199cm, he carries the height and athleticism, but would need to bulk up to be effective at around the ground stoppages. Not a key forward if you cannot get up at the footy and take a grab when it's your turn.

Not often I'll disagree with you mate, but he 'aint cut out for that role.

Look at the warriors who smash into each other week in, week out, year on end. He's not one of them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Are Adelaide back?

Nope. Better second half and starting to move in the right direction but has to do it for weeks not quarters

GC and Saints have had a start to the season
Last edited by Brodlach on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Brodlach wrote:

Nope. Better second half and starting to move in the right direction but has to do it for weeks not quarters

Losing Milera doesn't help, not sides can sit on Smith and Laird even more.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:52 pm

Booney wrote:

Look at the warriors who smash into each other week in, week out, year on end. He's not one of them.

That's fair enough.

I thought when he went in there in the 3rd quarter against Sydney, he shifted momentum in Adelaide's favour. Granted yes, it doesn't prove he can do it for a season, but at 199cm he has the height and great ability to cover the ground well. He doesn't have the ruck craft of the competitions elite ruckmen, and he doesn't yet have the aggression for the contest as you stated.

Probably a transition for Josh himself to consider but his cards are marked as a key forward, i'm certain of that.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Brodlach » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:54 pm

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Losing Milera doesn't help, not sides can sit on Smith and Laird even more.

Disagree, to me losing Milera is s positive
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:05 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Booney wrote:

That's fair enough.

I thought when he went in there in the 3rd quarter against Sydney, he shifted momentum in Adelaide's favour. Granted yes, it doesn't prove he can do it for a season, but at 199cm he has the height and great ability to cover the ground well. He doesn't have the ruck craft of the competitions elite ruckmen, and he doesn't yet have the aggression for the contest as you stated.

Probably a transition for Josh himself to consider but his cards are marked as a key forward, i'm certain of that.

He's also 30, so his best football in any position is behind him.

Then again, he is contracted until the end of 2022. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:41 pm

Pyke needs to leave in the SANFL until he shows some form, traditionally they only drop their bigger names for 1 game and bring them back.

Pretty ordinary that he found out via the phone only shortly before teams were released, surely a face to face convo that day to at least let him know it was on the cards should have happened.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:Pyke needs to leave in the SANFL until he shows some form, traditionally they only drop their bigger names for 1 game and bring them back.

Pretty ordinary that he found out via the phone only shortly before teams were released, surely a face to face convo that day to at least let him know it was on the cards should have happened.

I found that weird also.
Face to face is always best when delivering news like that.
amber_fluid
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL