Night Footy

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Night Footy

Postby Brett » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:10 pm

Improve the lights if you want people to go. I know many are no longer going due to the lights . Norwood has the best and its not a great place to watch footy at night. This must be costing clubs a bit. They are not good enough for us supporters to watch a game.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Night Footy

Postby Big Phil » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:56 pm

It's a lot more expensive than you might think to upgrade / replace light globes.

A few years back, I attended an AGM at Central District and Roger Girdham, their former Captain who is a current Director and runs his own Electrical business, advised it would be someting like $20K to upgrade the lights.

Not sure any clubs would have this type of disposal income lying around for lights.

Norwood have the advantage of good lights, light poles positioned right on the boundary line and a smaller surface area to cover.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:17 am

Big Phil wrote:It's a lot more expensive than you might think to upgrade / replace light globes.

A few years back, I attended an AGM at Central District and Roger Girdham, their former Captain who is a current Director and runs his own Electrical business, advised it would be someting like $20K to upgrade the lights.

Not sure any clubs would have this type of disposal income lying around for lights.

Norwood have the advantage of good lights, light poles positioned right on the boundary line and a smaller surface area to cover.

$20k is a lot to upgrade but I think it was more the utility costs to operate that have genuinely stopped Centrals from fixing the lights. The $20k to fix would easily be recouped over one season nevermind over an extended period. I would love to know the exact cost to run the lights for one football game, I don't imagine it would be cheap but would be interested to here the figure.

In saying that $20k only requires an extra 1300 crowd members over the course of your season to recoup back in entrance fees (are entrance fees $15). I would think night games attract at least 500 extra spectators (I don't have the stats to back this up) so in one season and three home games I would believe you would have recouped that cost never mind taken into account the extra income from secondary spend items that 500 extra spectators a game would spend. Lets say they each of those 500 spend $20 that's an extra $10k in café/kiosk/bar/merchandise takings per game.

The maintenance of the lights should be looked at as an investment not a reactive maintenance cost. Happy to concede though that I don't know the exact running cost per game to have them operating.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:03 am

$20k is nothing really for clubs turning over $3m+, not upgrading them is just a cop out, especially with so many grants (federal, state and council) available if you put in a submission.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:06 am

Dutchy wrote:$20k is nothing really for clubs turning over $3m+, not upgrading them is just a cop out, especially with so many grants (federal, state and council) available if you put in a submission.

Agree especially consider the Office of Sport & Rec nearly always have $50k grant opportunities available.

This is why I believe it has to be the running costs more so than the maintenance costs which have stopped the lights being fixed....or Big Phil has forgot to add a zero to the figure he wrote.
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:07 am

Dutchy wrote:$20k is nothing really for clubs turning over $3m+, not upgrading them is just a cop out, especially with so many grants (federal, state and council) available if you put in a submission.

Agree.
Surely the lights are an investment in their long term viability and future.
With crowds dwindling something needs to be done to entice crowds back.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:16 am

amber_fluid wrote:

Agree.
Surely the lights are an investment in their long term viability and future.
With crowds dwindling something needs to be done to entice crowds back.

Yep. Would love to see the crowd figures for the Saturday Night Centrals games vs day time crowd figure for Centrals around that period.

At a conservative guess I would say crowds were up by around 500 people which in my conservative guess would have been extra income of roughly

500 people more (lets say say 250 of them were paying adults at $15 a head) $3,750
$10 spend per person extra that comes $5,000

That's based around the extra staffing requirements being met by volunteers which I am led to believe what happens at Centrals. Also is total income and doesn't account for the profit margin on the secondary spend items but my figure of $10 spend is extremely conservative imo.

My conservative figure would say a night game would generate at least $8-9k extra in income.
whufc
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:40 pm

The gate goes to the SANFL. $14 to get in.

If I remember correctly the figure to upgrade the lights was close to $70K.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Mic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:11 pm

The SANFL and its clubs are not good at spending money to make money.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby Brett » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Big Phil wrote:It's a lot more expensive than you might think to upgrade / replace light globes.

Lighting has come along way in recent years . Im not saying it is cheap , just stating they need upgrading as they are not good enough. G
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Yes. LED now the way to go.

I just think 2.10 on a Saturday afternoon and all these problems disappear.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:51 pm

It's been tried,it's failed. It's not worth doing except for at Norwood. It almost sent a couple of clubs broke trying it!
Are people's memories that short?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby UK Fan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:24 pm

DOC wrote:The gate goes to the SANFL. $14 to get in.

If I remember correctly the figure to upgrade the lights was close to $70K.

I don’t see the issue with the upgrade. The lights at the oval would be used 4 times a week with training anyway.

One extra night for game day 2 times a year isn’t going to break the bank.

With the introduction of Women’s fixture early in the year. Making the Saturday a 3 game event it makes sense to end it with the league under lights.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Brett » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:39 pm

Wedgie wrote:It's been tried,it's failed. It's not worth doing except for at Norwood. It almost sent a couple of clubs broke trying it!

What has been tried ? Night games or Saturdays ?
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby Brett » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:41 pm

DOC wrote:Yes. LED now the way to go.

I just think 2.10 on a Saturday afternoon and all these problems disappear.

Of course but all Saturdays arent the answer either .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:03 am

Brett wrote:
Wedgie wrote:It's been tried,it's failed. It's not worth doing except for at Norwood. It almost sent a couple of clubs broke trying it!

Night games. They're not viable anywhere except for Norwood and two clubs got very burnt thinking it was a golden opportunity.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby RUSure » Sun May 19, 2019 8:49 am

The most influential factor for crowds are the weather and the likelihood of their team winning. Having written that there is an appreciation of atmosphere as well which Norwood Oval has with a reasonable crowd particularly at a night game. The hidden income stream though is alcohol. Sales at night games are massively different to a day game and there is a very healthy margin. So footy at night is about beer sales for SANFL clubs. With the prevalence of bars at Norwood a beer is always easy to get so the success if night football there has been about atmosphere and the significant profit on Coopers product.
RUSure
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby jet-airport » Mon May 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Brett wrote:

Night games. They're not viable anywhere except for Norwood and two clubs got very burnt thinking it was a golden opportunity.

Centrals on Saturday got a run with the 18's playing after League...… Was pretty ave lighting to be honest.
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Groucho » Mon May 20, 2019 3:50 pm

Rated higher than the League team then.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Sat May 25, 2019 1:40 pm

Love Friday night games at Parade but think lights are one of those things that may get a bigger crowd but if the weather comes in you will probable get less attendance than what you would for bad weather during a day game
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Board index   Football  SANFL