AFL Round 6 - Lest we forget

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 6 - Lest we forget

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:38 am

Dutchy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Umpires have and will always make mistakes.
It’s part of the game.
Players make more mistakes than umpires.

Spot on, umpires influence on a game is blown way out of proportion, umpires might make say 5-6 errors across a day, players make 80-100. And guess which ones the coaches can control?

The booing thing has been blown out of proportion also however Buckley has been so impressive the last few years, even admitted last night on the Front Bar he has changed the way he looks at footy/life. He showed great leadership again, Worsfold no-where to be seen.

Tell that to Sturt supporters. One decision can clearly effect a result. While it might not be the sole factor it can be a considerable factor. That game yesterday was the worst officiated match I've ever seen in my life. True, there were mistakes made both ways but the non calls were mystifying to say the least. The players were clearly confused which is a sure sign of poor umpiring. Sometimes the influence is overstated, but it certainly wasn't the case yesterday. This result was decided by the umpires mistakes IMO.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:42 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
Spargo wrote:Lol at Steve Hocking coming out on Tuesday calling for “better treatment” of umpires and imploring supporters to have a “change of attitude” towards them. They then come out & give that performance yesterday...

Stop changing the rules and make the umpires accountable instead of untouchable and more people will be more tolerant. You've got untouchable umpires who don't appear to be accountable at all and they've got to learn the rule of the week as well. If you want to cut the umps a break Hocking **** off with all the bullshit rule changes and provide the coaches with some guidelines so that they CAN comment on umpires.

regards,

REB

Agree with you to a point. Umpires are accountable to the panel that appoint them. Even at local level, we get the odd "rule of the week" in reality its more of a point around the expectation and application than be on the look out for this. In our case, its often driven by feedback from the coaches/clubs. I guess this happens at the top level too?

The more the rules change, the harder it gets to umpire, totally agree with you there.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:43 am

There were some bewildering decisions both ways but I didn’t think the umpires were that bad.
Like in most big games the umpires did put the whistle away in the last quarter.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:45 am

amber_fluid wrote:There were some bewildering decisions both ways but I didn’t think the umpires were that bad.
Like in most big games the umpires did put the whistle away in the last quarter.

For one side they put the whistle away.
It wasn’t the sole reason we lost but it contributed to it.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:48 am

The AFL could eliminate some grey areas and make it so much easier for the umpires with one simple change.
Anything that isn’t a kick or handball is a free kick against. I don’t care if it’s knocked out of a players hands, dropped, slapped whatever. Free kick.
Players have mastered the art of just letting go of the ball once they perceive any pressure
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:56 am

Jim05 wrote:
am Bays wrote:My $0.02 on the "outrage" after yesterday's ANZAC day game, just remember one AFL player, who will earn more than the 3 field umpires combined this year, made more split second skill errors that had an impact on Essendons chances of winning in the last qtr than the 3 fieldies combined!

jim your booing comment is neither here nor there as boorish behaviour is typical across all sports however your comment on laughing at Collingwood supporter getting his head kicked in is a f***ing disgrace. One punch violence and any violence post footy games is a blight on our sport and all sport TBH.

Not sure the diggers sacrificed their lives so morons could go and get p!ssed and then punch on at a footy match.

I’m sorry but if you deliberately run into the Essendon members section after the siren and fire off a torrent of abuse at supporters who have just witnessed a gut wrenching loss then you are asking for trouble

Bullshit, you should be accustomed to losing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:57 am

amber_fluid wrote:There were some bewildering decisions both ways but I didn’t think the umpires were that bad.

Can't think of a worse display personally.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Shiel had a game high 8 clangers. Yeah he had a bit of the ball 34 (58.8 % Eff) disposals but not as much as Pendles who had 38 (73.7 % Eff) and only 4 clangers.

The umpiring wasn't perfect but no way was there 8 clangers between them (31 free kicks paid +3 Coll). They are each "in control" for 33% of the game and will make over a 100 decision between them.

Bottom line, no matter how much you slice and dice it, the Essendon players cost themselves the game.

FWIW, I thought the two most "interesting" decisions were the one paid to Cox in the 2nd qtr when he got out bodied beautifully by Hooker, I think, and the free kick to Baguely in the last for holding when he had more of a hold than Langford.
Last edited by am Bays on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
am Bays wrote:My $0.02 on the "outrage" after yesterday's ANZAC day game, just remember one AFL player, who will earn more than the 3 field umpires combined this year, made more split second skill errors that had an impact on Essendons chances of winning in the last qtr than the 3 fieldies combined!

jim your booing comment is neither here nor there as boorish behaviour is typical across all sports however your comment on laughing at Collingwood supporter getting his head kicked in is a f***ing disgrace. One punch violence and any violence post footy games is a blight on our sport and all sport TBH.

Not sure the diggers sacrificed their lives so morons could go and get p!ssed and then punch on at a footy match.

I’m sorry but if you deliberately run into the Essendon members section after the siren and fire off a torrent of abuse at supporters who have just witnessed a gut wrenching loss then you are asking for trouble

Oh we are well used to losing.
The fans that ran into our section waving their scarves whilst singing their song were greeted by a few stares and comments nothing more. The bloke who wanted to get all abusive with all and sundry got put on his arse
Jim05
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Jim05 wrote:Players have mastered the art of just letting go of the ball once they perceive any pressure

Now you are completely off the mark, no coach would be asking players to do that, they would much rather they get caught holding the ball and enable them to defend the free kick than a loose ball fall out of a contest.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:03 pm

am Bays wrote:
FWIW, I thought the two most "interesting" decisions were the one paid to Cox in the 2nd qtr when he got out bodied beautifully by Hooker, I think, and the free kick to Baguely for holding when he ad more of a hold than Langford.

Yep Langford's jumper was clearly held in that contest and Bombers got an important goal out of it, but hey it was all Collingwoods way :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:03 pm

am Bays wrote:Shiel had a game high 8 clangers. Yeah he had a bit of the ball 34 (58.8 % Eff) disposals but not as much as Pendles who had 38 (73.7 % Eff) and only 4 clangers.

The umpiring wasn't perfect but no way was there 8 clangers between them (31 free kicks paid +3 Coll). They are each "in control" for 33% of the game and will make over a 100 decision between them.

Bottom line, no matter how much you slice and dice it, the Essendon players cost themselves the game.

FWIW, I thought the two most "interesting" decisions were the one paid to Cox in the 2nd qtr when he got out bodied beautifully by Hooker, I think, and the free kick to Baguely for holding when he ad more of a hold than Langford.

Yep Baguely initiated the hold and then got the free near goals.
What comes around, goes around!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:04 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

The fans that ran into our section waving their scarves whilst singing their song were greeted by a few stares and comments nothing more. The bloke who wanted to get all abusive with all and sundry got put on his arse

It's only football. If you're jobbing someone over some footy barbs you're a ******* moron.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:05 pm

am Bays wrote:Shiel had a game high 8 clangers. Yeah he had a bit of the ball 34 (58.8 % Eff) disposals but not as much as Pendles who had 38 (73.7 % Eff) and only 4 clangers.

But you're a maggot, so....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:
am Bays wrote:

Yep Langford's jumper was clearly held in that contest and Bombers got an important goal out of it, but hey it was all Collingwoods way :lol: :lol: :lol:

Both Guelfi and Baguley got goals from shockers, no arguing there. At least 8 or 9 blatant ones that didn’t go our way
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:08 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:[quote="am Bays"]My $0.02 on the "outrage" after yesterday's ANZAC day game, just remember one AFL player, who will earn more than the 3 field umpires combined this year, made more split second skill errors that had an impact on Essendons chances of winning in the last qtr than the 3 fieldies combined!

It's only football. If you're jobbing someone over some footy barbs you're a ******* moron.[/quote]
You sure you are a Port bloke?
Even the old biddies used to whack people at Alberton [emoji3]
Jim05
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Guelfi's hair lost Essendon the game
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:16 pm

Q. wrote:Guelfi's hair lost Essendon the game

Absolute shocker, surely a dare.
Close contest between Guelfi, Redman and Moore for the worst
Jim05
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Q. wrote:Guelfi's hair lost Essendon the game

Absolute shocker, surely a dare.
Close contest between Guelfi, Redman and Moore for the worst

Moore is prettier though..............
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Booney wrote:
But you're a maggot, so....

A green one, so I'm a rotten stinking maggot.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL