Glenelg V Eagles

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Glenelg V Eagles

Postby Reddeer » Sun May 05, 2019 5:49 pm

holden78 wrote:With a third of the season now over, Oval ave may well be the most compelling story in
the SANFL . Here’s 6 reasons why!
Sam Lonergan seems to be way out of his depth and looks to have failed to make a genuine
connection with the Eagles players.

Losing Paul Stewart is a significant loss, but the Eagles have become the worst team in the
League despite adding 3 genuine quality mids that were desperately needed and kept the
rest of their players ( Borholm aside ).
The players look confused/ numb by information overload or no confidence in the people
delivering the instructions.
So many good League players on mass looking so poor so quickly cannot be ignored anymore.
After a solid career to be proud of, the co-captain Guiffreda is past it and it’s embarrassing
at the moment when his opponents get to make him look that way.
When the current Best and Fairest gets dropped after being in the best players the previous
week, you’ve officially hit rock bottom unless you’re still kidding yourself that the last flag
wasn’t so long ago :butthead:

I think you may be right there.
There was a lot of concern last week when the coach named his nephew Jesse as second best (much queried by fans) and then the coach didn't cover himself in glory by phoning James Boyd to tell him he had been dropped rather than do the manly thing and tell him to his face. Might be only a two year term unless there is a rapid turnaround
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby holden78 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Reddeer wrote:
holden78 wrote:With a third of the season now over, Oval ave may well be the most compelling story in
the SANFL . Here’s 6 reasons why!
Sam Lonergan seems to be way out of his depth and looks to have failed to make a genuine
connection with the Eagles players.

Losing Paul Stewart is a significant loss, but the Eagles have become the worst team in the
League despite adding 3 genuine quality mids that were desperately needed and kept the
rest of their players ( Borholm aside ).
The players look confused/ numb by information overload or no confidence in the people
delivering the instructions.
So many good League players on mass looking so poor so quickly cannot be ignored anymore.
After a solid career to be proud of, the co-captain Guiffreda is past it and it’s embarrassing
at the moment when his opponents get to make him look that way.
When the current Best and Fairest gets dropped after being in the best players the previous
week, you’ve officially hit rock bottom unless you’re still kidding yourself that the last flag
wasn’t so long ago :butthead:

I think you may be right there.
There was a lot of concern last week when the coach named his nephew Jesse as second best (much queried by fans) and then the coach didn't cover himself in glory by phoning James Boyd to tell him he had been dropped rather than do the manly thing and tell him to his face. Might be only a two year term unless there is a rapid turnaround

I wasn’t aware of the let’s call it “ phone call fiasco “ , because that’s a rookie mistake
no head coach should commit in my book, obviously wrong when you have zero credits
in the bank.
No wonder they won’t play for him ; If you think they still should despite little money being
involved, well personal pride gets quickly worn down when there’s no respect associated.
Powell and Slavan should have stopped Jesse being so highly rated especially being paid what he
would be on, after a poor loss to the Power; Smarter to encourage a young player in front of everyone.
This has all the makings of a really poor season ahead. It’s not to late, depending on how quickly the coach can realise
reality and take on the blame himself, the players may well galvanise behind him if he’s sincere about it.
Godden had his short comings :lol: but the Eagles never looked disinterested, now they do and that’ buck stops
with Sam Lonergan.
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby JK » Mon May 06, 2019 11:39 am

Really liking the look of the Bays. Star power and a strong group of less heralded players (outside of Brighton Rd anyway) and a brand of football that looks to me like it will very much stand up come finals time. If they have a decent run with health and handle the expectations, thats where my money would be at this stage. Long way to go of course, but they're travelling very very well and could easily be undefeated at the moment.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Mon May 06, 2019 12:04 pm

JK wrote:Really liking the look of the Bays. Star power and a strong group of less heralded players (outside of Brighton Rd anyway) and a brand of football that looks to me like it will very much stand up come finals time. If they have a decent run with health and handle the expectations, thats where my money would be at this stage. Long way to go of course, but they're travelling very very well and could easily be undefeated at the moment.

Long way to go but there’s definitely room for optimism. They’re extremely fit & Stone has instilled a high level of discipline & accountability.
Scott, Uebergang, Gregson & Nicholson (injured early on Sat) still to come back too.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Mon May 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Spargo wrote:
JK wrote:Really liking the look of the Bays. Star power and a strong group of less heralded players (outside of Brighton Rd anyway) and a brand of football that looks to me like it will very much stand up come finals time. If they have a decent run with health and handle the expectations, thats where my money would be at this stage. Long way to go of course, but they're travelling very very well and could easily be undefeated at the moment.

Long way to go but there’s definitely room for optimism. They’re extremely fit & Stone has instilled a high level of discipline & accountability.
Scott, Uebergang, Gregson & Nicholson (injured early on Sat) still to come back too.

Scary ... Why is it North and Glenelg seem to be very strong around the same time lol?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Pseudo » Mon May 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Spargo wrote:

... and Joseph.

Early days though. Plenty of time for the wheels to fall off.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby northerner » Tue May 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Brett wrote:Makes you wonder why the current B&F gets dropped if in the best the week before.

Changing a coach can take time for players to understand it etc . However you did play a premiership favourite at this stage .

Not the first SANFL Coach to show displeasure at Boyd.
And I am led to believe that Godden made some concessions to his beliefs to accommodate Boyd.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 436 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Marty33 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:58 am

The Eagles have been so close for many years but losing to the sides who have evolved with more AFL like structures (6 of the last 7 flags by ex AFL players), the Eagles just havent evolved at the same rate and now with the new coaches moves it have exasperated the issues.

The Eagles have never been a speedy side, with Lewis and Boyd their two dour mids with Patrenko last year, they bring in Lonergan J and Foote ,and what that did, is move the slow last year midfielders to the outside, hence Boyd to a wing and hence cant cut it as a wingman then into the 2's, and Lewis to a half forward. With Lewis and Sharrod as the high half forwards ( you need strong two way runners here now), exposed again with this.
The obvious reply is fast ball movement and hit your targets, but what happens when you havent got the footy, you cant keep up and lay any pressure, hence the fast sling shots this year against the Eagles.

The modern game needs outside speed, so the eagles move two slow legs to the outside, persist with Hall and Haylock, and a back six too slow to even lay a tackle last week?

The modern game requires an intercept marking backman (Moore/McGovern etc etc), so whom of the Eagles back 6 last year is the most intercept marker? Von Bertouch! whom now is playing forward? This again puts more pressure on the backs as Thomo and Patty G dont look to mark the ball, again a backward step on where the game is going.

The modern game looks for 2 running wingers and 2 quarterbacks, eagles wingers are not much chop and they bring in Toumpas which is great, but all they do is swap last years quarterback in Goldsworthy up forward to re-invent himself from 5 years ago plus maybe, thats hardly progress.

Scores from defensive half for the eagles must be poor.

Next year for me VB back to CHB, Thomo the FB, Guiffa to retire. And a total rebuild of the running wingers and quarterbacks, Toumpas one, and some speed toughness in the other 3. The rest is good enough to compete.
Marty33
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:45 am

Marty33 wrote:The Eagles have been so close for many years but losing to the sides who have evolved with more AFL like structures (6 of the last 7 flags by ex AFL players), the Eagles just havent evolved at the same rate and now with the new coaches moves it have exasperated the issues.

The Eagles have never been a speedy side, with Lewis and Boyd their two dour mids with Patrenko last year, they bring in Lonergan J and Foote ,and what that did, is move the slow last year midfielders to the outside, hence Boyd to a wing and hence cant cut it as a wingman then into the 2's, and Lewis to a half forward. With Lewis and Sharrod as the high half forwards ( you need strong two way runners here now), exposed again with this.
The obvious reply is fast ball movement and hit your targets, but what happens when you havent got the footy, you cant keep up and lay any pressure, hence the fast sling shots this year against the Eagles.

The modern game needs outside speed, so the eagles move two slow legs to the outside, persist with Hall and Haylock, and a back six too slow to even lay a tackle last week?

The modern game requires an intercept marking backman (Moore/McGovern etc etc), so whom of the Eagles back 6 last year is the most intercept marker? Von Bertouch! whom now is playing forward? This again puts more pressure on the backs as Thomo and Patty G dont look to mark the ball, again a backward step on where the game is going.

The modern game looks for 2 running wingers and 2 quarterbacks, eagles wingers are not much chop and they bring in Toumpas which is great, but all they do is swap last years quarterback in Goldsworthy up forward to re-invent himself from 5 years ago plus maybe, thats hardly progress.

Next year for me VB back to CHB, Thomo the FB, Guiffa to retire. And a total rebuild of the running wingers and quarterbacks, Toumpas one, and some speed toughness in the other 3. The rest is good enough to compete.

Excellent 1st post!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby wedgetail » Wed May 08, 2019 9:05 pm

Marty33 wrote:The Eagles have been so close for many years but losing to the sides who have evolved with more AFL like structures (6 of the last 7 flags by ex AFL players), the Eagles just havent evolved at the same rate and now with the new coaches moves it have exasperated the issues.

Nothing new here. Sides have been 'sling-shotting' us for a couple of years. Norwood did it to perfection last year with their quick small forwards.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL