Umpiring - The diary of a local umpy.

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Re: Umpiring - The diary of a local umpy.

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 am

Spargo wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I'll be going to work for a break.

I was under the impression you already did...

I work smart, not hard ;)
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby HH3 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:34 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I'll be going to work for a break.

I was under the impression you already did...

I work smart, not hard ;)

Amen brother
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed May 15, 2019 11:13 am

I'm no umpire but am now umpiring under 8s at our home games (home club supply umps for 8s and 11s). Was nervous the first week as I wasn't sure of the rules.
Have actually quite enjoyed it for the most part.
Did have a blow up at 3 quarter time of last week's game with the opposition coach who was into me all game.
A kid who hadn't had a kick yet in the third quarter received a handball and the ball was slapped out of his hands by the best opposition player who had probably already had 20 kicks. Paid a free and told him to let the little kid have a kick. Coach went berserk so I blew 3 quarter time and the argument started. Accused me of umpiring each kid differently. Told him he is right as that is exactly what I was doing.
He seemed to forget that I went up to him at half time to see which of his kids hadn't touched much of the ball yet as I will give them extra kicks which he pointed someone out who had just rocked up.
Number 1 job I feel is to make sure each kid gets a minimum 1 or 2 kicks (they all have parents watching) and make sure the ball goes to each end and it doesn't end up in a ball of players. Zones helps massively with this.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:I'm no umpire but am now umpiring under 8s at our home games (home club supply umps for 8s and 11s). Was nervous the first week as I wasn't sure of the rules.
Did have a blow up at 3 quarter time of last week's game with the opposition coach who was into me all game.
A kid who hadn't had a kick yet in the third quarter received a handball and the ball was slapped out of his hands by the best opposition player who had probably already had 20 kicks. Paid a free and told him to let the little kid have a kick. Coach went berserk so I blew 3 quarter time and the argument started. Accused me of umpiring each kid differently. Told him he is right as that is exactly what I was doing.
He seemed to forget that I went up to him at half time to see which of his kids hadn't touched much of the ball yet as I will give them extra kicks which he pointed someone out who had just rocked up.
Number 1 job I feel is to make sure each kid gets a minimum 1 or 2 kicks (they all have parents watching) and make sure the ball goes to each end and it doesn't end up in a ball of players. Zones helps massively with this.

Yeah mate, no matter what age group they are, you'll always come across a coach thinking his career is on the line, you're doing things the right way and for every dickhead you come across, you'll have 50+ parents appreciating your style.

Yeah, I agree with the zone thingy, it's a great concept.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:I'm no umpire but am now umpiring under 8s at our home games (home club supply umps for 8s and 11s). Was nervous the first week as I wasn't sure of the rules.

This is awesome (not the coach, he's an idiot)... Keep up the great work
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah mate, no matter what age group they are, you'll always come across a coach thinking his career is on the line, you're doing things the right way and for every dickhead you come across, you'll have 50+ parents appreciating your style.

Yeah, I agree with the zone thingy, it's a great concept.

Thanks mate. Always gonna be an issue with 2 teams in our league.
Makes for a bloody long day at footy from just before 9am to 11pm that night!
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Corona Man » Wed May 15, 2019 3:44 pm

I think what you are doing is appropriate at U8 level. My only piece of advice, and please take it for what it is - would be to chat to the coaches before the game, and let them know how you are going to run the game. I think you will find that before the game, most coaches are reasonable people, it's during the game they turn into dick-heads!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby HH3 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:47 pm

Corona Man wrote:

I think what you are doing is appropriate at U8 level. My only piece of advice, and please take it for what it is - would be to chat to the coaches before the game, and let them know how you are going to run the game. I think you will find that before the game, most coaches are reasonable people, it's during the game they turn into dick-heads!

Eh. sometimes.

I reffed a junior game this year where a running clock was agreed to by both coaches at half time because one team was low on numbers due to first half injuries.

That team came back and needed a bit more time to win, but had already agreed to the running clock. Called a timeout and disputed the running clock. :lol:
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Corona Man » Wed May 15, 2019 4:14 pm

HH3 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Eh. sometimes.

I reffed a junior game this year where a running clock was agreed to by both coaches at half time because one team was low on numbers due to first half injuries.

That team came back and needed a bit more time to win, but had already agreed to the running clock. Called a timeout and disputed the running clock. :lol:

Kind of proves my point. Before the game, no worries ump, during the game - dispute what they had agreed to earlier!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby MW » Wed May 15, 2019 4:22 pm

I boundary ump my daughters U16 games and found myself appealing for a 50m when there was an out on the full and the oppo girl threw the ball away :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 15, 2019 4:38 pm

Great work, a trick I used to get some of the weaker kids to get more footy in u8's was put all weaker kids in the midfield zone and better players in the forward/back zone, this gives them every chance to get a possession without the dominant players around them.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I've been doing just 17's and B Grade so far this season, it's a handy gig, games are of a decent standard, back to back so I'm done in time to watch the bigger races for the afternoon.

I have the same gig this week but then a twilight women's game, just means them beers are going to have to chill a bit longer.

Shit's going to get hectic now as I've put my hand up to umpire in two additional leagues, chuck in my daughter playing in two teams, same as my son, I coach two junior teams and could be umpiring 5 or 6 games a weekend, I'll be going to work for a break.

Look forward to seeing you umpire in the SFL :D Ill buy you a beer when at Flaggies.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Tue May 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Just one game on Sunday arvo, having returned from Adelaide that morning. Girls U/14's. They have some special rules for both 12 & 14's girls. I was aware of them and consulted the handbook prior to the game to make sure I was full bottle. Special rules include, no soccering (unless accidental), 15 players on the ground & only 3 in the centre square for ball up's. No more than 2 bounces (a third in HTB), and no taking of full possession at a ruck contest, ball must be tapped.

Just before half time, a girl takes full possession of the ball at a boundary throw in. I blow the whistle, pay the free to the opposition & call "no full possession in the ruck"....... this is right near the coaches bench. They go off at me..... that rules has been changed ump, and yes, it has for senior women, but remains for under age. At this point I know I am correct, I read the rule about 45 minutes earlier. As I am explaining this to the bench half time siren goes. I go to the ump room, find the handbook & crease the page. Team Manager comes in with team sheet, I say - here show this to your coach. As we walk out for the second half, coach approaches me & apologizes. I say no worries mate..... I get enough decisions wrong, without getting one right, only to be told I am still wrong. He laughed, I laughed & the game went on.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 21, 2019 2:45 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Look forward to seeing you umpire in the SFL :D Ill buy you a beer when at Flaggies.

I don't drink :lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 21, 2019 2:52 pm

Oldmanitis struck me on the weekend.

Was doing 3 games, 17's @ 11:20, B Grade @ 1pm and then a women's game @ 5:30pm.

Halfway through the first quarter of the B Grade game I done my annual hamstring injury.

I somehow worked out a way to clench my whole leg and keep it straight to be able to grimace through the rest of the game.

The third game I somehow just worked myself into the right positions to be able to squirm through, I had no choice.

Positive news is that it's beginning to feel a bit more comfortable today, the wife is going away for the weekend so I'm going to give myself the weekend off of umpiring and forget to tell her so I don't have to go away too, a Saturday afternoon in the pub is well overdue.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby LovesHisFooty » Tue May 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote: I don't drink :lol: :lol:

Lightning McQueen wrote: a Saturday afternoon in the pub is well overdue.

hmmmmm :D
LovesHisFooty
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon May 27, 2019 10:50 am

3 games this weekend.

U/19's Sat morning. Uneventful.

U/14's Sunday morning at a place called Mernda. Outer Northern suburb in Melbourne. Really nice new facility. Umpired on the main ground, apparently its the same size as the MCG....AFL standard goal posts, siren etc. Only problem, I ran the game as the only field ump. Fortunately there was a fairly stiff breeze, and the play was more or less at one end of the ground. Kid got injured, ambulance called for, game delay. Great I am on a tight deadline to get to a womens game in Heidelberg.

Womens Div 2 - Home team (Heidelberg) give the Diamond Creek seconds a, ahem, fair touch up. Played on a lovely ground with a quaint 1930's style grandstand. Knackered by the end of the day with about 16/17k's into legs going by Fitbit.

Stop on the way home for a kebab & 2 tins of Draught.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby norwood8 » Thu May 30, 2019 10:31 pm

Just found this thread, enjoyed every bit of it.

Well done to you guys for giving back to the game.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Corona Man » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:09 pm

2 games this weekend. Under 19’s Saturday a shit game on a shit ground.

U/14’s today on the Astro Turf at South Morang. Nice and spongy so won’t be sore tomorrow. One way traffic and some sniping going on. Yellow card for one kid by the other ump. While I opened my account with my first report. Striking Red Card. Filled in the paper work and phoned the ump boss. He says the club will be offered 2 weeks and on my evidence he said they will most likely cop that. I’ve got better things to do Tuesday night!

Ran 9 kms today now I’m at the pub having a beer and a punt!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:41 pm

My lad has got his first appointment for a game for premiership points, an u13 game at Reynella this week
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues