Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Fri May 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Magellan wrote:
Q. wrote:
stan wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Tony Abbott has tweeted about Hawke's passing....a simple Rest in Peace would have sufficed.

20190516_202657.jpg
Is this legit or some satire piece?
Legit. There's something seriously wrong with that bloke.

Abbott's disappointing sentiments reflect two things - (a) he's desperate, about to lose his seat, and without a place in federal politics his already low level of relevance evaporates; and (b) fundamentally, he's a political pugilist looking to start a fight with some controversy, which then provides some mileage and profile which he hopes will counteract point (a).

It also reflects that he's a wanker.
I've missed you
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Fri May 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Armchair expert wrote:how can you vote for Shorten, the guy is a bloody robot

*not voting for scomo either
Unless you're in his seat, you won't be voting for or against him.
Q.
Coach

Postby Grenville » Fri May 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:RIP Hawkey
Best PM in my lifetime

Agreed and well put Jimmy. Howard in his prime would have been a worthy adversary but Hawkey's persona probably would've got him over the line. Howard had none of Bob's personality but was an exceptional politician. He knew the game and did it well. For those of us old enough to remember Bob he actually did what clowns like Clive Palmer can only dribble about. A great Australian and we won't see another. More's the shame.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Grenville wrote:
Best PM in my lifetime

Agreed and well put Jimmy. Howard in his prime would have been a worthy adversary but Hawkey's persona probably would've got him over the line. Howard had none of Bob's personality but was an exceptional politician. He knew the game and did it well. For those of us old enough to remember Bob he actually did what clowns like Clive Palmer can only dribble about. A great Australian and we won't see another. More's the shame.

Howard poor mans Bob Hawke.

Had the political nous but lacked the personal touch Hawke had.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Grenville » Fri May 17, 2019 7:51 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Grenville wrote:
Best PM in my lifetime

Howard poor mans Bob Hawke.

Had the political nous but lacked the personal touch Hawke had.

Agreed lad, and that's why he'll never be spoken of like Bob when he passes. Howard tried but it wasn't in his make-up to be personable. He was pragmatic and dull but extremely effective. Bob had something Little Johnny would have craved for, an ability to appeal to all Australians. Seeing people at the cricket lauding Hawkey for sculling a beer, he looked like one of us. Little Johnny was a cricket nuffie but looked like an arse bowling an offie, Bob copped a bouncer.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Grenville » Fri May 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Had to laugh at The Greens ad in the Shitvertiser today, Hanson Young's troglodytes have reverted to plagiarism to get votes. Don Chipp says hi.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Q. » Fri May 17, 2019 9:49 pm

Okay, time for your HoR predictions.

I'm going with:

ALP 81
LNP 62
OTH 8
Q.
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri May 17, 2019 10:30 pm

ALP 82
LNP 63
OTH 6
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Grenville » Fri May 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Q. wrote:Okay, time for your HoR predictions.

I'm going with:

ALP 81
LNP 62
OTH 8

Dunno, Labor SHOULD get by comfortably, especially after Hawkey passing (it will get some votes - some people are genuinely that easily swayed).

ALP 77
LNP 65
Other 9

Conservative estimate. If Shorten wasn't in charge add minimum 2 seats. Best case scenario for Morrison is a minority government with Abbott and Dutton getting shitcanned.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Magellan » Fri May 17, 2019 11:56 pm

Harder to pick than a broken nose. However, I have a feeling it'll go down to the wire. I favour something like Grenville's prediction, except less independents and more coalition seats, but not enough for them to retain government.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:14 am

Magellan wrote:Harder to pick than a broken nose. However, I have a feeling it'll go down to the wire. I favour something like Grenville's prediction, except less independents and more coalition seats, but not enough for them to retain government.

No chance.
We are gooooooooonnnnneee.
Going to cop an absolute reaming
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:46 am

From Bookface:

Wondering who to vote for, this will help you to decide. Don’t waste your vote.

A young woman was about to finish her first year of university. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be Labor Party minded, and she was very much in favour of higher taxes to support her education and for more government programs in other words, the redistribution of wealth. (Much like a Carbon Tax?)

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch
blue-ribbon Liberal, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on
the lectures that she had attended and the occasional chat with a
professor, she felt that her father had for years harboured a selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors must be the truth, and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing at university.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 90% average, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn’t even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many university friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, How is your best friend Audrey doing? She replied, Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies and she barely has a 50% average. She is so popular on campus; university for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties,and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over.

Her wise father asked his daughter, Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct 20% off your average and give it to your friend whoonly has 50%. That way you will both have a 70% average, it would be fairand you would both be equal.

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, That's a crazy idea; how would that be fair! I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, Welcome to the
Liberal side of the fence.

If anyone has a better explanation of the difference between Liberal and Labor/Greens, I'm all ears.

If you ever wondered what side of the fence you sit on, this is a great test!

If a Liberal supporter doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
If a Labor/Green doesn't like guns, they want all guns outlawed.

If a Liberal is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
If a Labor/Green is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a Liberal is gay, he quietly leads his life.
If a Labor/Green is gay, he demands legislated respect.

If a Conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
A Labor/Green wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a Conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Labor/Greens demand that those they don't like should be banned.

If a Liberal is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
A Labor/Green non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

If a Liberal reads this, he'll share it so his friends can have a good laugh.
A Labor/Green will delete it because he's "offended."
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Grenville » Sat May 18, 2019 8:10 am

Magellan wrote:Harder to pick than a broken nose. However, I have a feeling it'll go down to the wire. I favour something like Grenville's prediction, except less independents and more coalition seats, but not enough for them to retain government.

I badly misjudged our state election so I may well be wrong again. I'm banking on enough independents with a decent profile and platform benefiting from the voter dissatisfaction factor. Julia Banks, Zali Steggall, Rob Oakeshott, Kevin Mack for instance may do some damage.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:02 am

Grenville wrote:

I badly misjudged our state election so I may well be wrong again. I'm banking on enough independents with a decent profile and platform benefiting from the voter dissatisfaction factor. Julia Banks, Zali Steggall, Rob Oakeshott, Kevin Mack for instance may do some damage.

I’m with you other than Daley screwed up the last week which we probably didn’t factor in enough. The opposite happened here with Hawke doing them a favour.

Julia Banks - now there’s the epitome of narcissism. I hope she loses by a street.

Ziggy Stardust got my vote :shock: Abbott should have gone when he got dumped as PM.

I reckon it will be ‘93 again. There won’t be a decision tonight, but if there is, there will only be 5 seats difference
Not a good move by Shorten to alienate the soon to be / semi / retirement sector. Apparently they’re born from the same hell as the big end of town.
Shorten may want to be like Hawke but Hawke didn’t have to use divisiveness or the politics of envy which this disingenuous prick does. Have a look at him this morning. Image

Cries when someone takes him on about his mother comments but then uses his family at every opportunity.

Anyway, as that great statesman and intellect of SA politics; Tom Koutsantonis said a year ago, getting less than 50% of the primary vote is not a mandate. 2/3 of voters wont give their primary vote to either major party so its going to be another 3 long years whoever wins today. Nobody will control the Senate so it will continue to be mayhem. Hopefully SHY gets the flick so she can pay for her own crusades (which she wont)

Fortunately, Australians have become use to all this in the past 10 years and will just adapt to whatever they do and ignore them all.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:06 am

A liberal worker for Abbott putting up signs, stabbed with a corkscrew.
It seems eggs just arent enough for Labor, i mean GetUp....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby Brodlach » Sat May 18, 2019 9:34 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:A liberal worker for Abbott putting up signs, stabbed with a corkscrew.
It seems eggs just arent enough for Labor, i mean GetUp....

Abbott is so out there he probably organised it himself for sympathy
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby cracka » Sat May 18, 2019 9:40 am

Grenville wrote:

I think the best outcome would be if Labour win enough seats to govern without having to rely any Greens influence.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Grenville » Sat May 18, 2019 9:50 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Grenville wrote:

I’m with you other than Daley screwed up the last week which we probably didn’t factor in enough. The opposite happened here with Hawke doing them a favour.

Julia Banks - now there’s the epitome of narcissism. I hope she loses by a street.

Ziggy Stardust got my vote :shock: Abbott should have gone when he got dumped as PM.

I reckon it will be ‘93 again. There won’t be a decision tonight, but if there is, there will only be 5 seats difference
Not a good move by Shorten to alienate the soon to be / semi / retirement sector. Apparently they’re born from the same hell as the big end of town.
Shorten may want to be like Hawke but Hawke didn’t have to use divisiveness or the politics of envy which this disingenuous prick does. Have a look at him this morning. Image

Cries when someone takes him on about his mother comments but then uses his family at every opportunity.

Anyway, as that great statesman and intellect of SA politics; Tom Koutsantonis said a year ago, getting less than 50% of the primary vote is not a mandate. 2/3 of voters wont give their primary vote to either major party so its going to be another 3 long years whoever wins today. Nobody will control the Senate so it will continue to be mayhem. Hopefully SHY gets the flick so she can pay for her own crusades (which she wont)

Fortunately, Australians have become use to all this in the past 10 years and will just adapt to whatever they do and ignore them all.

Yeah you may well be right Jimmy, my difference between the big 2 parties could well be out by a fair few. We could only dream about SHY getting arseholed. Like Hewson in '93 if the ALP doesn't win today Billy Boy will have lost the unloseable election.
Grenville
Veteran

Postby Q. » Sat May 18, 2019 10:24 am

In many ways this is the most dangerous election in our history. An LNP victory would embolden them and confirm that they can sell any lie, be as corrupt as they wish, abuse any system and still get voted in.
Q.
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:26 am

Q. wrote:In many ways this is the most dangerous election in our history. An LNP victory would embolden them and confirm that they can sell any lie, be as corrupt as they wish, abuse any system and still get voted in.
And the same can be said for Labor...
Both are as bad as eachother.
#bringbackbob

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics