Central V Glenelg

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Central V Glenelg

Postby northerner » Sun May 19, 2019 12:17 pm

I love our Club but i wonder if the type of player we fawn over isnt going to win too many games. One of the young lads recruited from across town runs all day and never gives up on a contest and tackles hard. But he would drop 3 or 4 simple footpasses or handballs every week. It doesnt matter how hard you try if your skills are down you will more often than not end up as a valiant runner up.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby northerner » Sun May 19, 2019 12:20 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Groucho wrote:I'm so happy what a wonderful day at the football.Living the dream. :D
Centrals top of the ladder undefeated Reserves team lost to bottom of the ladder winless Glenelg. Great start to the day.
Then the Red White and Blue traffic cones aka CD League Team were humiliated by Glenelg on our own oval. Never seen such happy supporters (needless to say they were Glenelg supporters).

Then the Crows lost by a point, I'm just waiting for Port Power to win to complete my great weekend.

In case you didn't realise, this is bitter sarcasm. Anyone got a rope? :evil:

At least the right political party won!!

Ah I see what you did there... the RIGHT party won...
northerner
Reserves

Postby Dutchy » Sun May 19, 2019 12:31 pm

#sackroy
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun May 19, 2019 2:12 pm

northerner wrote:
Grenville wrote:We were very, very poor. Bays were toying with us. Our cause wasn't helped by being knobbled at the selection table, it was ridiculous the lack of height and size in our team.

Correct. Fraser Fort was the only tall to contribute. We have no genuine tall up fwd and Madden was our onlt tall defender and he has been dwarfed against Brampton and McBean in consecutive weeks. And we have no ruckman who is able to contribute in any meaningful way at all. Usually I see reason behind some of our selection/recruiting decisions but to release Hannath and take on 3 unknowns seemed bizarre given Forts elevation to AFL.

On the flipside, Glenelg were very impressive. Balanced and brave. Good decision making and excellent overhead. And decent players still to return.

It's called planning for the future! Hannath had to go, wasn't going to succeed & the new guys are young & will get better.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby StrayDog » Sun May 19, 2019 2:37 pm

stampy wrote:
StrayDog wrote:
stampy wrote:apparently we havent beaten much lately, how much did the crows beat the dogs by a few weeks back? ;)

As it happens, three goals less than Glenelg beat them by in R2. Six weeks ago.

Interesting choice of datum though. ;)

Play on.

enjoy the last 11 games

Well, yeah, ouch. A bit of a let-down after just your second win out here in 27 years but, yeah, touche...After the result. :lol:

Any pointers on just how to enjoy them would be useful. Re-living past glories, perhaps?

Massive scalp yesterday. Don't let anyone tell you haven't beaten much lately ;)

Enjoy the good times, they don't last forever. Don't blink.
Last edited by StrayDog on Sun May 19, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby northerner » Sun May 19, 2019 2:38 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
northerner wrote:
Grenville wrote:We were very, very poor. Bays were toying with us. Our cause wasn't helped by being knobbled at the selection table, it was ridiculous the lack of height and size in our team.

Correct. Fraser Fort was the only tall to contribute. We have no genuine tall up fwd and Madden was our onlt tall defender and he has been dwarfed against Brampton and McBean in consecutive weeks. And we have no ruckman who is able to contribute in any meaningful way at all. Usually I see reason behind some of our selection/recruiting decisions but to release Hannath and take on 3 unknowns seemed bizarre given Forts elevation to AFL.

On the flipside, Glenelg were very impressive. Balanced and brave. Good decision making and excellent overhead. And decent players still to return.

It's called planning for the future! Hannath had to go, wasn't going to succeed & the new guys are young & will get better.

Agree with the investment in the future... but did Hannath have to go? He would hold down a Key Forward spot and help the lads with his experience...he is ex AFL after all.
northerner
Reserves

Postby StrayDog » Sun May 19, 2019 2:41 pm

northerner wrote:I love our Club but i wonder if the type of player we fawn over isnt going to win too many games. One of the young lads recruited from across town runs all day and never gives up on a contest and tackles hard. But he would drop 3 or 4 simple footpasses or handballs every week. It doesnt matter how hard you try if your skills are down you will more often than not end up as a valiant runner up.

Yeah, the difference in the crispness of disposal was noticeable at times yesterday.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby StrayDog » Sun May 19, 2019 2:42 pm

Groucho wrote:Good game Justin Hoskin.

Agreed.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby StrayDog » Sun May 19, 2019 2:53 pm

am Bays wrote:Bitches, no one beats us 13 times in a row at Elizabeth and gets away with it for a 14th time....

1994 to 2007?

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby am Bays » Sun May 19, 2019 5:28 pm

StrayDog wrote:
am Bays wrote:Bitches, no one beats us 13 times in a row at Elizabeth and gets away with it for a 14th time....

1994 to 2007?

Dont let facts get in the way of a cheeky sledge hey??

No sane SANFL fan should dis-respect Centrals for they have have achieved this Century.

I would love my club to be half as good as the standards Centrals set from 2000 to 2010.

I like how we are travelling right now but if there is one thing I've learnt as a Bays fans, much to my bitter disappointment in over 40 years of following them, no League flags are won in May.

The only thing we took away from Elizabeth yesterday is that we are another two points closer to qualifying for finals.

Long way to get yet for my mob.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Groucho » Sun May 19, 2019 7:33 pm

am Bays wrote:
StrayDog wrote:

1994 to 2007?

Dont let facts get in the way of a cheeky sledge hey??

No sane SANFL fan should dis-respect Centrals for they have have achieved this Century.

I would love my club to be half as good as the standards Centrals set from 2000 to 2010.

I like how we are travelling right now but if there is one thing I've learnt as a Bays fans, much to my bitter disappointment in over 40 years of following them, no League flags are won in May.

The only thing we took away from Elizabeth yesterday is that we are another two points closer to qualifying for finals.

Long way to get yet for my mob.

You can't respect the "team" you beat yesterday. Respect has left the building.

Except for Hoskin and maybe Fort, we may as well put guernseys on traffic cones. Don't misunderstand, Glenelg were very good but we aren't League standard. Another goal less quarter and we couldn't even kick 9 goals for the game.

It seems like 2000 - 2010 never happened at all now.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Booney » Sun May 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Yellow and black...
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Brett » Sun May 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:#sackroy

Why . They are good fun again.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby mots02 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Its the Bays Premiership to lose
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 850 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Spargo » Sun May 19, 2019 10:01 pm

mots02 wrote:Its the Bays Premiership to lose

Yeah, nah - the crowserves are the team to beat.
We’re about to lose the comps leading goal kicker & a gun midfielder in the AFL midseason clusterf#ck.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 am

northerner wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
northerner wrote:

Agree with the investment in the future... but did Hannath have to go? He would hold down a Key Forward spot and help the lads with his experience...he is ex AFL after all.

then why didn't he do it when he was with Us.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby northerner » Mon May 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Last year Hannath was behind Fort in the pecking order and that's fair enough.
But for Season 2019, Hannath would be a better contributor around the ground than any of the 3 we have recruited. Yes they may well develop in seasons to come but in the here and now, we would surely be better off for his presence. On Saturday the coaching staff took to using Fraser Fort as a ruckman to have any sort of impact, and they would much rather use him in a Key Position.
northerner
Reserves

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon May 20, 2019 3:39 pm

northerner wrote:Last year Hannath was behind Fort in the pecking order and that's fair enough.
But for Season 2019, Hannath would be a better contributor around the ground than any of the 3 we have recruited. Yes they may well develop in seasons to come but in the here and now, we would surely be better off for his presence. On Saturday the coaching staff took to using Fraser Fort as a ruckman to have any sort of impact, and they would much rather use him in a Key Position.

So, you'd rather play Hannath, who's had numerous chances, and keep our 3 recruits in the two's.
Nup.
Play the recruits, that's what we got them for, chuck them in the deep end, they'll either get better or get pushed, like Jack did.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby northerner » Mon May 20, 2019 5:28 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
northerner wrote:Last year Hannath was behind Fort in the pecking order and that's fair enough.

So, you'd rather play Hannath, who's had numerous chances, and keep our 3 recruits in the two's.
Nup.
Play the recruits, that's what we got them for, chuck them in the deep end, they'll either get better or get pushed, like Jack did.

I am all for playing the kids, and they will be fine in long term.
But on Saturday Fort was leading the ruck and Auckland was #2. If Hannath was sharing the ruck duties with Auckland (who still gets the same opportunities he had) then we get to use Fort where the coaches would like to use him. Fort was needed in defence on either McBean, Reynolds or Hosie who were able to exploit our lack of height in defence.
I agree Hannath wasn't always as good as he could have been, but he would be pretty handy given our struggles with height atm.
northerner
Reserves

Postby wild dog » Mon May 20, 2019 6:10 pm

northerner wrote:I am all for playing the kids, and they will be fine in long term.
But on Saturday Fort was leading the ruck and Auckland was #2. If Hannath was sharing the ruck duties with Auckland (who still gets the same opportunities he had) then we get to use Fort where the coaches would like to use him. Fort was needed in defence on either McBean, Reynolds or Hosie who were able to exploit our lack of height in defence.
I agree Hannath wasn't always as good as he could have been, but he would be pretty handy given our struggles with height atm.

I thought too much height last year was a problem. This year the 666 rule was supposed to inject scoring and a more position based game. It made sense not to have such height and inject some pace to the forward line. Problem for us thus far is the lack of pace. I did not see Saturdays game so cant comment on the defensive man ups, but I would much rather have some hard gut running types prepared to put pressure on the opposition than a 200cm+ KPP who for whatever reason cant take a contested grab and lacked the ability to get the ball.

northerner wrote:One of the young lads recruited from across town runs all day and never gives up on a contest and tackles hard. But he would drop 3 or 4 simple footpasses or handballs every week

Are you talking a tall here?
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL