Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:58 pm

McLaren were unable to break the 1708 day drought against the Creeks going down by 38 points in the Grand Final re match.
As they did last week against E Bay, the Creeks jumped out of the blocks with 4 goals in the blink of an eye with the help of a myriad of 50m penalties for players not leaving the protected area quick enough as the umpires were RED HOT on it and continued to keep McLaren at arms length all day. Would also have been a record free kick count for the day i reckon as it seemed every 2nd tackle was either adjudicated as HTB or High contact. It was overkill which tested the patience of players from both teams. A Good win by the Creeks but keeping in mind McLaren did have quite a few players missing and also lost a player in the 2nd qtr with a serious knee injury it seemed. Both teams seems destined for Finals again tho nothing should be taken for granted. Only early days but i think we can safely rule out Goolwa/PE and Myp/Sellicks as Finalists whilst it may take another month or 2 before we can start ruling any more out given the potential evenness of the comp.
On a side note, the Creek Senior Colts have opened the season with successive Draws :shock: Anyone wanna back'm for 3 in a row?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby damian » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:00 pm

jackpot jim wrote:McLaren were unable to break the 1708 day drought against the Creeks going down by 38 points in the Grand Final re match.
As they did last week against E Bay, the Creeks jumped out of the blocks with 4 goals in the blink of an eye with the help of a myriad of 50m penalties for players not leaving the protected area quick enough as the umpires were RED HOT on it and continued to keep McLaren at arms length all day. Would also have been a record free kick count for the day i reckon as it seemed every 2nd tackle was either adjudicated as HTB or High contact. It was overkill which tested the patience of players from both teams. A Good win by the Creeks but keeping in mind McLaren did have quite a few players missing and also lost a player in the 2nd qtr with a serious knee injury it seemed. Both teams seems destined for Finals again tho nothing should be taken for granted. Only early days but i think we can safely rule out Goolwa/PE and Myp/Sellicks as Finalists whilst it may take another month or 2 before we can start ruling any more out given the potential evenness of the comp.
On a side note, the Creek Senior Colts have opened the season with successive Draws :shock: Anyone wanna back'm for 3 in a row?

It’s not just me that thinks the standard of umpiring has been piss poor then? One bloke I saw in the Reserves between Strathalbyn & Goolwa/Port Elliot is 100% the most inept umpire I’ve ever witnessed. That combined with a power trip to put most security guards seem like reasonable guys.

As for the footy;

Bays have both surprised and impressed me.
Yankalilla have improved out of sight thanks to recruiting.
Myponga have dropped off big time thanks to recruits leaving.
Victor looked better on paper, consistency and they’ll play finals.
Mount Compass lost four players, picked up four better ones.
McLaren have a better side on paper and will be very tough to beat when all fit and available.
Langhorne Creek were disappointing in round one, excellent round two.
Strath are quite good, but maybe 5-6 goals off the top three.
Willunga, much like Strath. Close, but not quite there at the moment.
Goolwa/Port Elliot are a 10 goal better side this year and will have a win very soon.

Early ladder predictions
Mount Compass
McLaren
Langhorne Creek
Victor Harbor
Willunga
Encounter Bay
Strathalbyn
Yankalilla
Goolwa/Port Elliot
Myponga

4th to 8th will be extremely close.
"Start by doing what's necessary; then what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
damian
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Goolwa-Port Elliott

Postby footy1992 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:45 pm

jackpot jim wrote:McLaren were unable to break the 1708 day drought against the Creeks going down by 38 points in the Grand Final re match.

Can umpires ever please? Miss free kicks they get slammed, pay too many free kicks they get slammed... Its loose loose situation.

With regards to 50m penalties a stricter interpretation of the rule is always going to increase the number given in a game....
footy1992
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:59 pm

footy1992 wrote:
Can umpires ever please? Miss free kicks they get slammed, pay too many free kicks they get slammed... Its loose loose situation.

With regards to 50m penalties a stricter interpretation of the rule is always going to increase the number given in a game....

Unfortunately probably not
The style of umpiring plays a big part in a game of footy and as such is often discussed when analyzing a match
Over a long period of time id say the umpiring in the GSFL has generally been of a pretty good standard.
The thing about Saturdays style was that it was over officious compared to normal and worth commenting on especially in regards to the 50m penalties which are a massive penalty for mostly infringements that have very little impact on the game if they were let go but the umpires are compelled to pay them in strict accordance with the rules of the game. Whether that is a good or bad thing is a another discussion. The fact that the McLaren coach had a long discussion with the umpires at the half time break and then a McLaren player (May have been their captain?) had a discussion with them immediately after the game suggests that they wernt entirely happy with the style of umpiring or were confused by it.
Im not in the game of religiously bagging umpires for the fun of it and not bagging them here, just expressing a view thats all.

On a side note, i feel Footy clubs really should look at cracking down on umpire abuse by a small minority of spectators within their clubs.
Twice in 2 weeks i have witnessed totally over the top foul mouthed barrages of abuse to an umpire. The nature of the language used was a disgrace especially in the presence of kids that are invariably everywhere at the ground.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:29 pm

With regards to 50m penalties a stricter interpretation of the rule is always going to increase the number given in a game....[/quote]

The GSFL and SFL have the same umpiring panel,

If the umpires just called the obvious and let the game go (as they do in finals) every one would be happy .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Luke15 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:31 pm

shoe boy wrote:Can umpires ever please? Miss free kicks they get slammed, pay too many free kicks they get slammed... Its loose loose situation.

The GSFL and SFL have the same umpiring panel,

If the umpires just called the obvious and let the game go (as they do in finals) every one would be happy .[/quote]

Post of the year goes to Shoe Boy. Well said mate just call the obvious ones and let the 50/50 calls play out. Please do not over umpire cos the spectators do not come to see you Umpires.

Also some on the board of the GSFL and SFL approving to implement the 50metre rule, what a joke and a rule open to interpretation. When umpires struggle to get the simples calls right you then throw this onto them. Piss poor. The SANFL doesn’t even have it but our leagues do.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:14 am

In our junior game in Round 1 we had 20 (yes 20!) 50m penalties for protected zone infringements, kids had no idea what was going on. Round 2 we had a different set of umpires and had none.

Overall compared to what Ive seen in other leagues I think we have a good batch of experienced umpires and we are pretty lucky,
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 am

4 Rounds down and Mount Compass are the only undefeated team and it would be a brave person to tip that they wont remain there for the rest of the season. Who a potential challenger may be is anyones guess?
Gonna be a very tight race for not only a vital double chance 2nd or 3rd spot but also for a Top 5 spot and luck in winning the close games against teams around the same mark will be vital in determining that.
3 very close results Saturday with last years Grand Finalists McLaren and Creeks along with the Bays all going down in tight finishes,.

Yank after leading the Creeks all day and never really looked like losing did a great escape after the Creeks grinded their way to the lead with about 2 minutes to go by dominating play in the last quarter . Yank managed to get the important centre clearance after the Creek goal and received a 50/50 free in the marking contest in front of goal to take the lead back and hang on for the last minute. Creeks really struggled for a lack of height around the ground with Sellar not playing due to work commitments. Can see both teams vying for 4th or 5th spot but as with every team, injuries / availability of players etc to field close to full strength teams will be vital for their finals chances.
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby The eclipse fan » Tue May 07, 2019 7:12 pm

This is most quiet this forum has ever been.
Is this a sign of the future in this footy league cos I hope not
Once again it looks like Peter Galbraith is a magician with his recruiting ability.
Where ever he found Copestick from. Early pick for the medal for me.

Has Gianni hit a wall (not the coaches box as usual) seems the re rioting drive raved about isn’t as good as first thought!
Anyone else got opinions??
Let’s get this forum happening again
Live Forever
The eclipse fan
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Local GSFL Man » Tue May 07, 2019 10:19 pm

The eclipse fan wrote:This is most quiet this forum has ever been.
Once again it looks like Peter Galbraith is a magician with his recruiting ability.

Has Gianni hit a wall (not the coaches box as usual) seems the re rioting drive raved about isn’t as good as first thought!

This true but look how good victor is they only lost to Mt compass by about 4/5 Goals and lost 2 players during the game. they have found a Gem in Luke Davey and still have Coach Alleway and Brock Shubert on the sidelines to come back into the team. Not to mention not mail medalist Ross on Saturday
Local GSFL Man

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Milang

Postby shoe boy » Wed May 08, 2019 8:22 am

The eclipse fan wrote:This is most quiet this forum has ever been.

Copey is a product of the Noarlunga Football Club and Galbs would know him from his time at the Shoe , Copey in recent times has played at Bordertown then back to the Shoe then Bordertown then Compass chasing the elusive dollar .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Great Southern Football League

Postby field of dreams » Wed May 08, 2019 9:12 am

At this early stage Compass is the team to beat for me. I am surprised with McLaren’s lack of early form (though word is they haven’t had everyone on the park). Thought Willunga would be travelling better too.
As JJ said it will be very important to get wins against the other contenders when the going gets tough in July and August. As Creek showed last year, May favourites means nothing.
Victor have played some great footy the last 2 weeks. Depth has improved this year with the return of quite a few former players so the absence of Alleway, Ross and Schubert hasn’t hit as hard as it could have. 4 changes between round 3 and 4 but all good quality replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Bull 04 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Until everyone has played each other I'm keeping my powder dry. There have been some standout performances both individual and team but as I said all are yet to play one another. There have been some sides fielding teams with less than fit players (injuries) and when fully fit will certainly lift a cog or two.

All sides now basically need to stay in the hunt then ramp up in the second half of the season. Right now its survival and posturing for position going into the back half. As we saw last years ladder finishing positions only gives you the possibility of a home ground advantage and as big as that appears to be guarantees you nada.

Compass do look but I'm comfortable that there are 2 or 3 other sides that right now could beat them if fully fit and firing.

10% off your game and if your opposition is 10% up on theirs you lose.
Bull 04
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby mutton cove » Wed May 08, 2019 11:08 pm

Compa$$ still giving the Bartercard a work out.
mutton cove
Rookie

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby grasshopper22 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:05 pm

Heard down the street today that Victor player coach Clint Alleway is facing the Tribunal tonight after being reported Saturday for striking. Roo boys are pretty concerned as this could rule him out for good. Anyone shed any light on this?
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby The eclipse fan » Tue May 21, 2019 8:32 pm

mutton cove wrote:Compa$$ still giving the Bartercard a work out.

This is a posed to players rocking up to a local winery and leaving with a cash filled envelope

Was looking at the Happy FM on YouTube and I’d say alleyway can hang up the boots for a right jab.
Not sure how many games he will get, surely he’s getting close to life suspension area?
Live Forever
The eclipse fan
Mini-League

Postby limb » Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 pm

For those that might want to check out the video without sitting through the whole match, which quarter did it happen?
limb
Under 18s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby The eclipse fan » Tue May 21, 2019 8:38 pm

grasshopper22 wrote:Heard down the street today that Victor player coach Clint Alleway is facing the Tribunal tonight after being reported Saturday for striking. Roo boys are pretty concerned as this could rule him out for good. Anyone shed any light on this?

Heard this as well.
I went and found an incident that one of the yank boys said it was in regards too on the Happy channel
It’s a little bit after a kick in at about the 2 hr 5 min mark of YouTube
Interested in your opinions all.
Live Forever
The eclipse fan
Mini-League

Postby Armchair expert » Tue May 21, 2019 9:46 pm

The eclipse fan wrote:
grasshopper22 wrote:Heard down the street today that Victor player coach Clint Alleway is facing the Tribunal tonight after being reported Saturday for striking. Roo boys are pretty concerned as this could rule him out for good. Anyone shed any light on this?

Heard this as well.
I went and found an incident that one of the yank boys said it was in regards too on the Happy channel
It’s a little bit after a kick in at about the 2 hr 5 min mark of YouTube
Interested in your opinions all.

Surely not just before he took a kick on the 50 from the boundary line?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Local GSFL Man » Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 pm

yes that is the incident on the boundary line
Local GSFL Man

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times