Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby grasshopper22 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:38 pm

The eclipse fan wrote:
mutton cove wrote:Compa$$ still giving the Bartercard a work out.

This is a posed to players rocking up to a local winery and leaving with a cash filled envelope

Was looking at the Happy FM on YouTube and I’d say alleyway can hang up the boots for a right jab.
Not sure how many games he will get, surely he’s getting close to life suspension area?

I was told if he gets any games he’s at the life ban number? What would this mean for his coaching? As I believe you would be de-registered by the SACFL. Can anyone touch on this?
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Tiger83 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:33 pm

Nothing in it. Did either umpire report him? Didn’t look like it. Cant be suspended if your not reported in the first place.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby grasshopper22 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:36 pm

Tiger83 wrote:Nothing in it. Did either umpire report him? Didn’t look like it. Cant be suspended if your not reported in the first place.

Didn’t look to be much in it to me either, however it’s contact to the head, and looks intentional so he’s probably going to be in trouble, especially with his poor record.
Someone has obviously reported though If he’s at the tribunal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby Armchair expert » Wed May 22, 2019 12:16 am

Holy **** is that St Kilda Eljay Connors ?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby field of dreams » Wed May 22, 2019 12:33 am

He got off

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby field of dreams » Wed May 22, 2019 12:41 am

Armchair expert wrote:Holy **** is that St Kilda Eljay Connors ?

Yep

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am

Tiger83 wrote:Nothing in it. Did either umpire report him? Didn’t look like it. Cant be suspended if your not reported in the first place.

Geez you would be unlucky to cop a game for that.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby The Hound » Wed May 22, 2019 2:07 pm

T83

T83 - Looks like you can. My young fella in the SANFL juniors U/14 comp got done by the opposition sending in some images cut from their filming. Although they were advised not to film by several of our parents and team manager.
No umpire reports on the night, no yellow or red card either so that indicates that not much in it.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby neverwas neverwillbe » Wed May 22, 2019 3:08 pm

The Hound wrote:

T83

T83 - Looks like you can. My young fella in the SANFL juniors U/14 comp got done by the opposition sending in some images cut from their filming. Although they were advised not to film by several of our parents and team manager.
No umpire reports on the night, no yellow or red card either so that indicates that not much in it.

And I’m pretty sure any club official can up until Monday or Tuesday night via the league without notifying the reported party.

Dingo took my baby.
neverwas neverwillbe
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby bluemaidstone » Wed May 22, 2019 9:11 pm

100 % certain Alleway was reported by the Boundary Umpire , informed the Field Umpires . They then questioned the Yank player involved after the game. I also believe he informed the Umps all was ok ..
bluemaidstone
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby jackpot jim » Tue May 28, 2019 5:43 pm

7 rounds in and i think we have found our 3rd flag favourite for the season
Tho there are no official markets it was generally considered at the start of the season that McLaren were slight favourite.
That quickly changed to Mount Compass but following successive losses it seems that Victor Harbor are now into favourtism
With things being so incredibly tight between the top 7 - 8 teams its hard not to think that favourtism will change many more times before seasons end.
Currently the top 8 are all still in contention but any slip up of 2 or 3 losses in a row could easily see any of those teams quickly fall out of contention.
Yankalilla face their moment of truth the next 2 weeks when after a promising start to the season have struggled a bit and a loss to McLaren and Compass in coming weeks will see them out of the race i'd imagine.
When was the last time the GSFL was as tight as this? And thats not saying it hasn't been tight in recent years. To have 3 or 4 Finals like game every week is something most other Leagues could only dream about.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby field of dreams » Tue May 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Compass losses have surprised a little but as you say JJ it is very even and if you are off your game slightly you’ll get rolled.
Victor have managed to cover injuries much better than in the last couple of years with better depth in the senior ranks. With Willunga and Creeks over the next 2 weeks the picture may become clearer but making the top 3 has to be the goal by finals time. Then anything could happen going by the weekly results (and as Creek proved last year).

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby ball breaker » Tue May 28, 2019 10:17 pm

This is one of those years where the saying "if u r off your game by 5% u will get done"

Its going to make for a great season !!

Bye bye Southern footy league.
ball breaker
Under 16s

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:26 pm

Half way point of the Minor Round and slowly but surely things are starting to sort themselves out just a little bit but still enough time for some twists and turns to happen yet
Compass, Willunga and Victor all with a 7 & 2 record have a very handy break on the rest of the field in regards to a coveted Top 3 finish being a game and healthy % ahead of their nearest challengers.
Last years Grand Finalists McLaren 6 & 3 and Creeks 5 & 4 occupy 4th and 5th and will certainly need to find a little more consistency in the 2nd half to challenge for a Top 3 spot.
Strath 5 & 4 just trail the Creeks on % in 6th whilst E Bay 7th would be very disappointed with a 4 & 5 record considering they impressively beat the Creeks in Round 1 and only a few weeks back led one of the Premiership favorites in Compass by 9 goals at one stage before incredibly losing :shock:
Yankalilla 8th with a 3 & 6 record have fallen off the pace markedly in recent times after a very promising start to the season which also included a narrow win over the Creeks but would need a miracle from here to turn their season around and challenge for Finals.
Goowla/PE broke the ice with a win over fellow cellar dweller Myp/Sellicks who would have been disappointed after pushing the Creeks all the way last match.
With just about every match involving the top 7 or 8 teams being Finals like, its gonna be very tough for teams to string wins together to climb the ladder in the 2nd half so i'd be surprised if any of the Top 3 drop out of the Double chance even tho i have no doubt they will lose a few games to teams currently ranked 4th to 7th simply because the Comp is so incredibly even.

Creek / Victor game yesterday was as good as they come with intense Finals like pressure from start to finish with the likely winner changing 4 or 5 times during the day with Victor eventually prevailing as their Forward talls eventually overwhelmed the Creek defense which was stretched for height especially after Sellar was forced to sit out the rest of the match from just prior to half time after copping a blow to the head in a ruck contest. Creeks battled brilliantly in the 2nd half and despite getting out to a 3 goal lead half way through the last quarter, it looked like they had given their all and were just looking to hang on in the final stages and as a result Victor took more risks which they had to do and it paid dividends as they kicked 5 of the last 6 goals.
A massive win for Victor that sets their season up whilst the reigning Premiers have plenty to think about in the run home to position themselves for a crack at back to back.
A bit disconcerting for the Creeks is that after being undefeated on Hawk Park last year they have dropped 3 of their 5 home games this year after blowing good leads in all of them
E Bay - Were 5 goals up in 1st Qtr and lost by 14 points
Willunga - were 5 goals up in 2nd Qtr and lost by 9 points
Victor - were 3 goals up in last Qtr and lost by 9 points
Creeks other loss for the year was at Yank when they led by 3 points with a minute to go and lost by 3 points
With the Additions of McGregor and Helyar the Hawks are still a genuine Premiership threat but will find it extremely tough from an Elimination Final if indeed they make Finals which they should but nothing would surprise me. To get the double chance from here with their relative low % they will probably need to win 8 of their last 9 games which whilst possible is highly unlikely given the tightness of the comp.
Gonna be a cracker 2nd half of the season.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby field of dreams » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:37 pm

Cheers for the review JJ. The season is certainly very interestingly poised after the first round.
The game at the Creek was a great contest to watch. Victor had 4 quality ins from the last game and Creek had the massive inclusions of Helyar and McGregor to bolster their premiership defence going forward- both had a big impact on the game. Victor were once again hamstrung by poor conversion whereas Creeks through Helyar, Howell and McGregor made the most of their opportunities in front of goal, leading at half and 3/4 time. As JJ put, when creek went 3 goal clear in the last it seemed they were destined to take the chocolates and that accuracy was going to tell the story, but the Roos kept at it and big Sam Basham had other ideas, with his marking power and great leg unstoppable. Coach Alleway was very good throughout the game.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby The Hound » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:41 pm

ball breaker wrote:This is one of those years where the saying "if u r off your game by 5% u will get done"

Is that because clubs will jump or players will head to GSFL?
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby field of dreams » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:09 pm

The Hound wrote:
ball breaker wrote:This is one of those years where the saying "if u r off your game by 5% u will get done"

Is that because clubs will jump or players will head to GSFL?

Maybe bb is just saying goodbye as he’ll be watching the GSFL rather than SFL [emoji6]

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:07 pm

JJ- what the?
Bays... impossible to predict what they are going to bring [emoji15]

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby grasshopper22 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:46 pm

field of dreams wrote:JJ- what the?
Bays... impossible to predict what they are going to bring [emoji15]

Bays where fantastic yesterday across all lines, they’ve showed glimpses of this in a majority of games this season, however yesterday was a sold 4 quarter effort. They’re such a young team and I guess this is a reason for the inconsistency and unpredictability.

grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby field of dreams » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:00 pm

After seeing Creek last week they looked like a real contender as the season gets serious.
Fantastic for the Comp.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy