AFL round 10 - #freekicksydney

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL round 10 - #freekicksydney

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:00 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:Are Adelaide looking to the future?.

Surely not at the moment?! They're still a contender this year aren't they?

Not a realistic contender.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Fri May 24, 2019 11:01 am

Booney wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Surely Gibbs at his worst is better than guys like Atkins Mackay Kelly?

Interesting that they've kept Jenkins, Seedsman, Douglas and Gibbs out of the side.

Are Adelaide looking to the future? With so many old heads around they've been slow to bring in the next generation, looks like they've made a conscious decision to change the make up of the side.

Brad Scott - take note.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5485 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Fri May 24, 2019 11:03 am

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Surely Gibbs at his worst is better than guys like Atkins Mackay Kelly?

Interesting that they've kept Jenkins, Seedsman, Douglas and Gibbs out of the side.

Are Adelaide looking to the future? With so many old heads around they've been slow to bring in the next generation, looks like they've made a conscious decision to change the make up of the side.

Brad Scott - take note.

No need to worry Spargo, he will be coaching elsewhere next year anyway.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 24, 2019 11:05 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:Are Adelaide looking to the future?.

Surely not at the moment?! They're still a contender this year aren't they?

A genuine contender though? They need to get some youth in there before they bottom out completely.

32: Betts, Douglas.
31: Jacobs.
30: Gibbs, McKay, Ottens, Jenkins.
29: Sloane, Walker.
28: Lynch.
27: Hartigan, Keath, Seedsman, Talia, Greenwood :shock: .
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 24, 2019 11:06 am

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Considering what Gibbs cost the Crows - 2 1st rounders & a 2nd rounder plus has 2 more years on his contract after this season, along with Jenkins there is some serious list clogging if they can't offload them.

I couldn't see many buyers coming forward for either, to be honest, certainly not taking the salary on, anyway.

Not saying this is correct, but from an outsiders view it certainly looks like the Crows are trying to "Manage them out".

The Gibbs trade was always stupid and the club should have copped a lot more flack than they did, but at least they're trying to correct it I suppose.

Yep, Betts ,Douglas 32, Jacobs, 31, McKay, Jenkins, Gibbs, Otten, 30, Sloane, Walker, 29. Fair group who won't be there in 4 years*.

Sloane the exception, for mine.
LOL
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri May 24, 2019 11:09 am

Booney wrote:Adelaide
If
Josh Jenkins is on the Crows' list in 2020 ...

then
I'll be very surprised. Carrying himself superbly in this humbling period, deserves another crack at another club, and will get one.

Brisbane
If
Charlie Cameron re-sets his goalkicking radar (15.18 this season) ...

then
the finals-bound Lions will be even harder to beat, and he will find himself in All Australian team discussions.

Carlton
If
the doom-and-gloom narrative is getting super ugly ...

then
there's one way to brighten it up – conjure a win against St Kilda at Marvel Stadium on Sunday.

Collingwood
If
you're into your third season for your second club and have managed just 14 matches ...

then
it's been bad for player and team. But now that he's back in, Daniel Wells may yet prove to be a premiership-winning influencer the Pies thought they were recruiting at the end of 2016

Essendon
If
this club hasn't already launched a full-scale review of Joe Daniher himself and the medical handling of his body ...

then
it should. So many questions. First one: why, after 12 months on the sidelines, did Daniher play his first two return matches this year, with just a five-day break in between? Second one: has everyone done everything to the utmost of their abilities to make this work?

Fremantle
If
he's already had 47 last chances ...

then
Harley Bennell needs absolutely everything to go right with this latest one. Great to see him returning to playing, in the WAFL. Despite all his many off-field problems, there's a lot to like about this guy.

Geelong
If
some people have an issue with 'the Danger Show' ...

then
I don't. Love it. His ways are a point of difference amid a boring playing-group world of conformity.

Gold Coast
If
the Danger Show won't be on the Gold Coast for Saturday night's match ...

then
it's OK - the Gazza Show will be. Ablett needs a rest, but not this weekend with Danger out with an ankle

GWS
If
there's a guy I hope gets to experience a premiership ...

then
it's Deledio. Was nearly broken when the Tigers won one the year he left them after 12 seasons of service. Returned well from his latest injury last weekend. Fingers crossed.

Hawthorn
If
there's an 80 per cent chance of rain on a 13-degree day with 40km/h squally winds ...

then
the Hawks-Power game at Launceston on Saturday won't be one which helps increase AFL season 2019's historically low average scores.

Melbourne
If
there's an upset brewing in round 10 ...

then
it could be the Dees against the premiership-fancy Giants. Would love to see Preuss make the 22 and take on Mummy. Two big bulls, a young one and an old one, going at it in the same yard. Bring it on.

North Melbourne
If
he's struggled for form for most of the season ...

then
this game presents as one where Ben Brown can return to his best. Matches up well against the Dogs' backline options.

Port Adelaide
If
there is one thing you can take to the bank out of round 10 ...

then
it is that Chad Wingard, in his first game against the team at which he played 147 matches and was once a favourite son, will finish this Launceston match with sore body and even sorer eardrums.

Richmond
If
the Tigers were bold enough to use overall pick 20 (their second pick, after they snared Jack Higgins at 17) on a 200cm kid from Adelaide in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft ...

then
Callum Coleman-Jones can obviously play. He's coming up against one of the game's best rucks in big Bellcho in his debut. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

St Kilda
If
Josh Battle continues the significant progress he's shown in 2019 ...

then
he's going to be a very good player for a long time.

Sydney
If
there's one way to bring the SCG to life on a Friday night in May ...

then
it's Buddy's re-inclusion in a Swans team against Collingwood. Now, we're really, really excited about this game.

West Coast
If
you've only got time to properly watch one game over the weekend ...

then
make sure it's the Saturday twilight fixture, Eagles v Crows. Reckon it will be season-shaping.

Western Bulldogs
If
Josh Dunkley is given full licence to be the midfielder he was born to be ...

then
he's got at least one best and fairest in him, maybe the first of those this season.

AFL
If
we've been critical of the MRO and Tribunal mixed messaging this year ...

then
it's only right that we heap praise when it's due - which it is with the concerted crackdown on umpire abuse by players. And the next time the "cheat" word is used, no matter the context, make it a $20,000 fine.

Top post Booney but the Gold Coast one is really about Geelong.

Perhaps...

IF
Gold coast can start to retain some players
THEN
Stewie Dew might turn them into contenders for a top eight berth.

I thought the Port one was very funny. But the question is, who will be giving him the sore eardrums...the Port or Hawthorn players ha ha.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 24, 2019 11:17 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

In all seriousness if they want to be ruthless Jacobs, Sloane, Walker should be the only ones on the list in 2020
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3501 times

Postby Booney » Fri May 24, 2019 11:23 am

Rik E Boy wrote:Top post Booney but the Gold Coast one is really about Geelong.
Perhaps...
IF
THEN
I thought the Port one was very funny. But the question is, who will be giving him the sore eardrums...the Port or Hawthorn players ha ha.
regards,
REB

It's from AFL.com, I can't take the credit. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Booney » Fri May 24, 2019 11:25 am

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

In all seriousness if they want to be ruthless Jacobs, Sloane, Walker should be the only ones on the list in 2020

Agreed, with pick 1 and 2 picks in the 20's they can grab some decent talent to bring into the bottom of the list. ( Well, #1 comes straight in, usually. )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri May 24, 2019 11:26 am

Booney wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Top post Booney but the Gold Coast one is really about Geelong.
Perhaps...
IF
THEN
regards,
REB

It's from AFL.com, I can't take the credit. ;)

By that grub Barrett.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 24, 2019 11:28 am

No point handing out “gold passes” just because of who you are or what your cost is/was.

I like that if you are out of form or not doing what the team needs you are out of the side.

Just because Gibbs was two first rounders, does that entitle him not to be dropped? No way!
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 24, 2019 11:37 am

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

They have to keep Gibbs, they'd look absolutely stupid if they don't, I'd actually put Sloane out there to try and get Grundy.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 24, 2019 11:50 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

They have to keep Gibbs, they'd look absolutely stupid if they don't, I'd actually put Sloane out there to try and get Grundy.

No way!
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri May 24, 2019 11:56 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

O'Brien and Himmelberg ( more so ) have both shown enough that they'd be stupid to pay overs to get Grundy.

Grundy isn't a RFA until the end of next year, typically we're seeing clubs ask the player if they're staying or going and if they're going they move them on the year before they become an RFA, so, this year for Grundy.

Collingwood would be after Adelaide's first rounder, currently #1, Grundy would be after $1.1-1.3m per year and probably 5 year deal, if not more.

That's just not the type of deal Adelaide should be considering given the list of players 28+ above and it looking as though the window is, at best, slightly ajar for the next 2 years. At best.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 24, 2019 11:59 am

Brodlach wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

No way!

You have 2-3 years left of quality football in him vs 5 or 6 with Grundy, he wants to go to Melbourne, you have an ageing list with no real trade bait floating about.
Jenkins is stuck on your list until the end of next season chewing a wad of cash, no one will want him being on the wrong side of 30.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Fri May 24, 2019 12:01 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

O'Brien and Himmelberg ( more so ) have both shown enough that they'd be stupid to pay overs to get Grundy.

Grundy isn't a RFA until the end of next year, typically we're seeing clubs ask the player if they're staying or going and if they're going they move them on the year before they become an RFA, so, this year for Grundy.

Collingwood would be after Adelaide's first rounder, currently #1, Grundy would be after $1.1-1.3m per year and probably 5 year deal, if not more.

That's just not the type of deal Adelaide should be considering given the list of players 28+ above and it looking as though the window is, at best, slightly ajar for the next 2 years. At best.....

Keep draft pick and get him the following year
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Booney » Fri May 24, 2019 12:18 pm

mighty hounds wrote:Keep draft pick and get him the following year

Then his price goes up as the market opens up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 24, 2019 12:56 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

No way!

You have 2-3 years left of quality football in him vs 5 or 6 with Grundy, he wants to go to Melbourne, you have an ageing list with no real trade bait floating about.
Jenkins is stuck on your list until the end of next season chewing a wad of cash, no one will want him being on the wrong side of 30.

Jenkins kicked 49 goals last season, third in the best and fairest , I’ll back him in to return to form.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri May 24, 2019 1:04 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

No way!

Jenkins kicked 49 goals last season, third in the best and fairest , I’ll back him in to return to form.

Do you play him ahead of Himmelberg given where the list (appears to be) is at?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Not currently as he has only played one good game, gets selected after two or three good games in a row
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL