AFL round 10 - #freekicksydney

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL round 10 - #freekicksydney

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:06 pm

WOW!!!!!!! Just WOW!!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:08 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

WOW!!!!!!! Just WOW!!!

Yep, I’m sorry but he should be dropped on the spot for that
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Jim05 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

WOW!!!!!!! Just WOW!!!

Yep, I’m sorry but he should be dropped on the spot for that

he should have been dropped 18 months ago
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby JK » Mon May 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Took his eyes off the ball to look at the opponent. If he takes it cleanly it doesn't get discussed. In two minds about it - I'd always want to see the player (Walker) hit the body hard there, but Im an old dinosaur and maybe the right play was for him to do what he did, just having collected the ball properly?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:25 pm

If he did that at Norwood you would have had him hung drawn and quartered at CIBOs

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Jase » Mon May 27, 2019 3:34 pm

JK wrote:Took his eyes off the ball to look at the opponent. If he takes it cleanly it doesn't get discussed. In two minds about it - I'd always want to see the player (Walker) hit the body hard there, but Im an old dinosaur and maybe the right play was for him to do what he did, just having collected the ball properly?
You can't take the ball cleanly when you have looked at the opposition and then closed your eyes...

C'mon mate, that is as weak as pee...

Captain on captain should have been an all mighty clash... but nope...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby JK » Mon May 27, 2019 3:35 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:If he did that at Norwood you would have had him hung drawn and quartered at CIBOs

Wouldn't have made it to CIBO's lol .. Yeah Im not defending it, it's a terrible look, just questioning whether the play looks worse because he didn't handle the ball properly. But you're right, if he played for my club I'd be filthy (to put it mildly).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Mon May 27, 2019 3:37 pm

Jase wrote:
JK wrote:Took his eyes off the ball to look at the opponent. If he takes it cleanly it doesn't get discussed. In two minds about it - I'd always want to see the player (Walker) hit the body hard there, but Im an old dinosaur and maybe the right play was for him to do what he did, just having collected the ball properly?
You can't take the ball cleanly when you have looked at the opposition and then closed your eyes...

Plenty have and will, but you're right it's near on impossible when you're scared of oncoming traffic .. I hereby retract my Devil's Advocate position :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 27, 2019 3:37 pm

JK wrote:Wouldn't have made it to CIBO's lol .. Yeah Im not defending it, it's a terrible look, just questioning whether the play looks worse because he didn't handle the ball properly. But you're right, if he played for my club I'd be filthy (to put it mildly).

Yes, it looks much worse because he didn't take the ball.. it looks horrible.. but i think it was the right move - if he'd gone straight on and collected Hurn he prob cops a suspension for high contact these days.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Trader » Mon May 27, 2019 3:40 pm

Understand what you are saying JK. If he collects it cleanly he's out the back of the contest and can likely get a shot on goal. If he tries to run through the footy he gets tackled cleanly and its likely just a bounce.

Still looks terrible, but it's not the reason I'd be using to drop him.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby carey » Mon May 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Did anyone hear the review Gary Lyon has given Taylor Walker?

I have'nt but, jesus the Crow nuffies in the office are absolutley losing there minds!
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Booney » Mon May 27, 2019 3:58 pm

carey wrote:Did anyone hear the review Gary Lyon has given Taylor Walker?

I have'nt but, jesus the Crow nuffies in the office are absolutley losing there minds!

Riewoldt and Bolton gave him pretty ordinary reviews.

St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt has called for Taylor Walker to be sent back to the SANFL, after seeing damning vision of the Adelaide co-captain shirking a contest.
In what Riewoldt termed a “symbolic” moment, Walker pulled out from a contest in the second term, as his Eagles counterpart Shannon Hurn was rewarded for his commitment to the ball.

“That (Hurn incident) will be an embarrassing moment for him if it’s brought up in review, particularly as captain of the footy club when you’re there to drive the high standards,” Riewoldt said on SEN SA.

Riewoldt suggested coach Don Pyke had little choice but to demote Walker in order to ensure integrity of selection, after making bold calls to axe fellow senior players.

Pyke has sent the likes of Bryce Gibbs and Josh Jenkins back to the SANFL — and it’s a move Riewoldt said Walker shouldn’t be “immune” from just because he’s the club’s skipper.

“I think just because you’re captain doesn’t mean you’re immune to going back to the SANFL,” Riewoldt told SEN.

“One thing that’s really important in a football club is integrity of selection.

“So if you’re going to go out and make statements — like dropping Bryce Gibbs, like dropping Josh Jenkins — then everyone should be exposed to the same level of scrutiny and integrity in picking the team.”
Swans champion Jude Bolton was equally critical of Tex’s effort at the contest with Hurn.

“This is just unacceptable from a club captain,’’ Bolton told Channel 7.

“To pull out like that, he’s just got to make a statement for his team and he won’t be looking forward to looking at that footage.’’

Adelaide assistant coach Scott Camporeale was streadfast in his support for Walker on Monday morning, telling reporters the incident had been overblown.

“We can’t just isolate one moment as the reason why we lost,” Camporeale said.

“He would like to have his time again but we move on and have to keep making sure that the level the game requires, we play at.”

While Riewoldt conceded all captains experienced dips in form, unquestionable effort was always required.

And in shying away from putting his body on the line, Riewoldt queried whether Walker was setting the right standards for his teammates.

“The role of a captain is to drive high accountability in terms of your actions on the field,” Riewoldt said.

“That is the most important job of a captain: to set standards, to bring your teammates along with you and if the standards aren’t being met, to hold it to account.

“If you’re not doing those things well yourself, that’s a really difficult position to be in as captain.

“That doesn’t necessarily mean you always have to be in good form. That helps.

“But the one non-negotiable in terms of being a captain is your effort.”

Walker has booted 16 goals in 2019, while averaging 12.1 disposals and five marks per game.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby JK » Mon May 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Trader wrote:Understand what you are saying JK. If he collects it cleanly he's out the back of the contest and can likely get a shot on goal. If he tries to run through the footy he gets tackled cleanly and its likely just a bounce.

Still looks terrible, but it's not the reason I'd be using to drop him.

I’ve obviously seen a bit of Tex over the years, and whilst he’s never been quick he’s slower than ever now. He’s also never been a naturally physical
Player. If he just meets contact with contact there’s no opportunity for a shot on goal. IF he does what he does but takes clean possession (which he usually does in that type of play) then there’s a scoring possibility.

However, I’d never want to see my Captain of all players not set a physical standard.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Surely there was an opportunity for Walker to knock the ball out into space where a team mate was??

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Doesn’t look good at all

But

I wonder if it went through his head that if he went for the ball that he would collect Hurn in the head and would then be reported as he has had it happen before?

Modern day footy
Last edited by Brodlach on Mon May 27, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Mon May 27, 2019 4:13 pm

Brodlach wrote:Doesn’t look good at all

But

I wonder if it we went for the ball that he would collect Hurn in the head and would be reported as he has had happen before?

Modern day footy

What if he tackles someone and hurts their ribs? What if he flies for a mark and hurts someones back? What if he slides in and takes out the legs?

See ball, get ball.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 27, 2019 4:15 pm

Or bumps Hurn in the head and gets 4 weeks

No longer a “see ball get ball” competition unfortunately, I agree with your sentiments
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Ablett *suspended for 1 game

*for now
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon May 27, 2019 4:18 pm

Booney wrote:

But

I wonder if it we went for the ball that he would collect Hurn in the head and would be reported as he has had happen before?

Modern day footy

What if he tackles someone and hurts their ribs? What if he flies for a mark and hurts someones back? What if he slides in and takes out the legs?

See ball, get ball.

Yep.
Set the standard for the others.
Saw Hurn and shat the bed.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 27, 2019 4:21 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

But

Modern day footy

See ball, get ball.

Yep.
Set the standard for the others.
Saw Hurn and shat the bed.

To be fair, I don't think Hurn covered himself in glory, he just managed to leave with the ball.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL