SA 2019 Draft Watch

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SA 2019 Draft Watch

Postby bulldogproud » Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 am

Dutchy wrote:
Hazydog wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Port take Sutcliffe from Port

So can the “Magpies” replace Sutcliffe with another contracted marquee? Asking for a friend.

Im hearing Panos

Just spoke to Matt - prison bars definitely don't suit him - and it is the first he's heard of this rumour. ;)
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby hollywood7477 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:39 pm

heater31 wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Hosie to the Roos @spargo

The kid’s a gun, can’t blame him & I wish him all the best. Not North Melbourne’s fault either - it’s the system that’s f#cked.
You can’t replace talent like him. The Bays are the only ones who lose here...
Also a big middle finger to a previous coach of his who now babysits B grade AFL players every week.....

Exactly mate. I coached Lachie at U18's and then at Reserves with Glenelg and I remember our first internal trial and he was kicking goals like Stevie J. we thought this kid has got this X Factor. We all wondered why Eagles got rid of him. His development has been outstanding and I really do look forwad to seeing if he will actually make it. New coach will i guess make a decision end of year. I wish him well
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby hollywood7477 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Barracker1 wrote:This is clearly the most futile and pathetic draft in history. When the last draft was rolled out 25 years ago there was a possibility of players getting a game. The players picked up yesterday are simply reserve footy fodder and it has decimated some clubs chances of extending their season. If ever the AFL was sending a clear message to local footy that they couldn't give a stuff about their club players or supporters then it was loud and clear last night. I never thought I'd say it but footy just isn't the same and will never recover. It is a giant that has consumed local footy without any thought for anything but its own benefit. South lost Kruger to a make believe draft in September, wont play AFL. Then Brooksby to West Coast in another bullshit draft. Hayden McLean to Sydney after they decided that a tall was needed NOW Michael Knoll to Sydney cos one more tall wouldn't hurt in the draft farce of all time. I'm done !!

Brooksby will stay on the list. he is dominating and will play at some stage
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby marbles » Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Hosie to the Roos @spargo

The kid’s a gun, can’t blame him & I wish him all the best. Not North Melbourne’s fault either - it’s the system that’s f#cked.
You can’t replace talent like him. The Bays are the only ones who lose here...
Also a big middle finger to a previous coach of his who now babysits B grade AFL players every week.....

Exactly mate. I coached Lachie at U18's and then at Reserves with Glenelg and I remember our first internal trial and he was kicking goals like Stevie J. we thought this kid has got this X Factor. We all wondered why Eagles got rid of him. His development has been outstanding and I really do look forwad to seeing if he will actually make it. New coach will i guess make a decision end of year. I wish him well

Another henley sharks junior drafted congrats lachie
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby PanthersFan » Tue May 28, 2019 9:08 pm

So I’ve been thinking a lot about this. Does the fact that Michael Knoll was not drafted by any AFL club in the off season mean that South Adelaide’s recruiting department is better than all of the AFL? A cash strapped SANFL club had a better eye for talent than the 18 “loaded with money and resources” teams. Makes you wonder who the real professionals are...

Feel free to tell me I’m wrong because I might still just be a bit bitter about this :D
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby therisingblues » Wed May 29, 2019 7:45 am

PanthersFan wrote:So I’ve been thinking a lot about this. Does the fact that Michael Knoll was not drafted by any AFL club in the off season mean that South Adelaide’s recruiting department is better than all of the AFL? A cash strapped SANFL club had a better eye for talent than the 18 “loaded with money and resources” teams. Makes you wonder who the real professionals are...

Feel free to tell me I’m wrong because I might still just be a bit bitter about this :D

I'm afraid the lesson learner from all this is the SANFL clubs should not recruit anybody who's too good. In years gone by they could at least plan a premiership strategy around the group they had leftover after all the corporates had their share. But this, midseason plundering, means you don't want that next best player.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Wed May 29, 2019 10:35 am

therisingblues wrote:
PanthersFan wrote:So I’ve been thinking a lot about this. Does the fact that Michael Knoll was not drafted by any AFL club in the off season mean that South Adelaide’s recruiting department is better than all of the AFL? A cash strapped SANFL club had a better eye for talent than the 18 “loaded with money and resources” teams. Makes you wonder who the real professionals are...

I'm afraid the lesson learner from all this is the SANFL clubs should not recruit anybody who's too good. In years gone by they could at least plan a premiership strategy around the group they had leftover after all the corporates had their share. But this, midseason plundering, means you don't want that next best player.

Yep TRB, I agree that that is the lesson. It makes it hard to aspire to be the best team in the comp if you're scouting for good-but-not-that-good players.

And yes, Panthersfan is very much entitled to feel bitter.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Wed May 29, 2019 11:27 am

I rang the flog filling in for Dwayne Russell at SEN yesterday .. I’m not big on calling these programs but he basically sold the SANFL as having a dummy spit over the draft when they should just accept it, and manage their lists better to cater for any mid-season losses same as would occur through injury. I asked him then shouldn’t the same logic apply to AFL clubs to manage their lists to cater for player loss? He talked around it then closed my call down.

Amazing that all State Leagues are asking for is to run their own little comp, happy to develop and provide players for the big league out of season, and still people with no interest in said leagues think they should be able to use them as their play things. They’ve well and truly won, but it’s bloody wrong.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby nuggety goodness » Wed May 29, 2019 11:57 am

I know it's not SA so don't hang me but Ryan Gardner who was selected in the recent draft will debut this week against the eagles...

Gardner goes from draftee to debutant http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/20 ... .mobileapp

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Barracker1 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Nuggetty Goodness Wrote:
I know it's not SA so don't hang me but Ryan Gardner who was selected in the recent draft will debut this week against the eagles...
Gardner goes from draftee to debutant http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/20 ... .mobileapp

And here's part of what was written about his debut you goose

He will receive his opportunity in a tough first-up challenge, against the reigning premiers on their home turf this Sunday.
Gardner had spent the first half of 2019 on Footscray’s VFL list, spending time at both ends of the ground and pinch-hitting in the ruck.
Prior to joining the Bulldogs, he spent three years at Geelong (2016-2018) without making an AFL appearance.

Debuting for the Dogs after playing resi's for the Dogs. That just aint the same. Shove ya mid season draft in ya nuggetty goodness.
Barracker1

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 30, 2019 6:04 pm

JK wrote:I rang the flog filling in for Dwayne Russell at SEN yesterday .. I’m not big on calling these programs but he basically sold the SANFL as having a dummy spit over the draft when they should just accept it, and manage their lists better to cater for any mid-season losses same as would occur through injury. I asked him then shouldn’t the same logic apply to AFL clubs to manage their lists to cater for player loss? He talked around it then closed my call down.

Amazing that all State Leagues are asking for is to run their own little comp, happy to develop and provide players for the big league out of season, and still people with no interest in said leagues think they should be able to use them as their play things. They’ve well and truly won, but it’s bloody wrong.

I listened to the podcast of that today, he didnt want to listen to your point of view at all and just liked the sound of his own voice and opinion. I wonder what he actually knows about the SANFL apart that it feeds players to the AFL
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby JK » Thu May 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:
JK wrote:I rang the flog filling in for Dwayne Russell at SEN yesterday .. I’m not big on calling these programs but he basically sold the SANFL as having a dummy spit over the draft when they should just accept it, and manage their lists better to cater for any mid-season losses same as would occur through injury. I asked him then shouldn’t the same logic apply to AFL clubs to manage their lists to cater for player loss? He talked around it then closed my call down.

I listened to the podcast of that today, he didnt want to listen to your point of view at all and just liked the sound of his own voice and opinion. I wonder what he actually knows about the SANFL apart that it feeds players to the AFL

Yeah that was the impression that I got (liking his own voice) .. I had plenty more points to raise too.

Ps: how stupid did I sound? :lol:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 pm

JK wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Yeah that was the impression that I got (liking his own voice) .. I had plenty more points to raise too.

Ps: how stupid did I sound? :lol:

Haven't heard it, but it is hard to get your points across if it us against the stance of the hosts, no matter what station.
It's a shame that they can be worse than North Korea...
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby JK » Thu May 30, 2019 8:32 pm

Add to that I was in the School carpark and my two young bucks were distracting the f**k outta me lol
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri May 31, 2019 2:09 pm

I'm just glad someone at the GFC had the foresight to think John Noble couldn't play so we cut him as junior.

Saved us losing two players in the draft....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Tiger83 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:

For the un-initiated, who is the guy who filled in???
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby JK » Fri May 31, 2019 2:42 pm

am Bays wrote:I'm just glad someone at the GFC had the foresight to think John Noble couldn't play so we cut him as junior.

Saved us losing two players in the draft....

#Shrewd
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Fri May 31, 2019 2:42 pm

Tiger83 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

For the un-initiated, who is the guy who filled in???

Sam Hargreaves. NFI about his background
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:20 am

Taheny very impressive at full forward last night
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby beef » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:04 am

Jim05 wrote:Taheny very impressive at full forward last night

Saw him kick 8 as a 16 year old in u/18's. Quick off the mark, awesome vertical leap and very good kick, Bamford said he's been working hard on the defensive stuff as well. Didn't see last night but Stephens 25 touches is also very good player who is a hard worker.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL