The AFL is losing me.....

Talk on the national game

The AFL is losing me.....

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:28 am

The AFL is losing me.......

In 2011, if not for the newly established Gold Coast Suns and an 8 point win at the soon to be redeveloped Adelaide Oval over fellow dismal performers Melbourne, Port Adelaide would have won our inaugural wooden spoon at AFL level. We'd lost to Collingwood by 138 points and Hawthorn the following week by 165 points just 3 weeks earlier, yet, walking out of Adelaide Oval on Fathers Day 2011 I couldn't wait for the 2012 season to start. Ultimately we'd sack our coach Matt Primus mid year after a loss to the newly created GWS Giants but football was still worth watching, despite the dire situation my club was in I was soaking up as much footy as I could every weekend. I did every week, up until about 6 weeks ago.

Somehow though I'm even more disenchanted with the AFL than I was in those desperate times and several weeks ago I found myself still enthralled in Port Adelaide matches, they're the club I love after all, but games that they aren't involved in? Meh, take it or leave it. Friday night football? Only if I haven't got something on. A couple of good sides on a quiet winters Saturday night at home? Probably fall asleep or turn it over to some bollocks on another station. Rainy Sunday afternoon on the couch? I'll hunt around for a fishing show or put some tunes in the air.

The AFL is losing me.

The umpiring is at an all time confusing low. Holding the ball interpretations, below the knees rulings, ruck infringements, free kicks to forwards for hands in the back, 50m penalties turning into 100m free goals, kick ins, 6-6-6, goal review mistake after mistake, the list of infuriating on field decisions goes on and on.

Off field the list is even longer. Head office is making political statements, the AFL logo going "rainbow" for the same sex marriage debate. I voted yes, by the way, but I was left wondering is the AFL the governing body of a sporting competition or a political chess piece? The big wigs come out every week and defend the indefensible with the most blatant of umpiring errors signed off as correct by manipulating interpretations to suit their defence. Come Monday afternoon the MRO Puppet Michael Christian rolls his fine / suspension dice before asking Steve Hocking, the man charged with the "look" of the game if he likes the fine / suspensions and if not how would he like them too look. Constant rule changes, interpretations, umpire numbers, the list goes on and on.

The AFL is losing me.

The constant media cycle of being the "news breaker" is beyond a circus. Ambulance chasers are running around in cheap suits and trench coats alluding to "breaking news" on their twitter feeds, linking to stories behind paywalls written by Neville Nobody or some prehistoric dinosaur who played in a premiership in 19-dickety-two because he's a "great" of the club. Players shield themselves from social media platforms, take time away from the game to maintain or regain their mental health or walk away from million dollar contracts such is the constant scrutiny they are under from fans and media "experts" alike.

The AFL is losing me.

The people who fund the game, the ones who put their bums on the seats are getting asked for more and more, financially, every year. Most clubs reserved seats are around $40-50 per seat per game. If you're lucky enough to go to a final with your team in it you're up for $60-70 in the first week and up to $300 in the Grand Final if you can secure one. If you're lucky enough to host a home final you don't get to sit in the seat you've sat in all year round with your football family. Why? Well, the AFL take over ticketing of the finals. Of course they do. Concession stands and bars are constantly upping prices making a pie and a beer a luxury that robs your pocket of $20 with little to no change. Beers are the best part of $10 each. It's the footy, not a nightclub.

( My two platinum tickets for Port home games are around $1000 for 11 home games. I like a beer or three and that's my choice, granted. Throw in a final at home, if we're lucky enough and a home season with a few beers and a final at home could be $2000, or more, from the family budget for the year ).

Now, the AFL is cracking down on spectator behavior. I'm all for stamping out crude language with families around, I'm dead set against racially vilifying players, but when you are getting kicked out for calling a bald headed flog a bald headed flog the AFL is entering dangerous territory. With the umpiring at an all time confusing low spectators are getting more and more frustrated, yet are being asked to make less and less fuss. Supporters can't support too hard and don't dare think about barracking outside of the barracking guidelines. Sit there, behave.

I can see it coming now, Browlow Medal weekend, 2030. The two day extravaganza acknowledges every player and umpire that has contributed to the game in 2030 with a "Participation Award" for a free Happy Meal at McDonald's. Of course, the AFL has ensured there are gluten free and vegan options available.

The AFL may have lost me before then.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: The AFL is losing me.....

Postby MW » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 am

Post of 2019. Outstanding.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby helicopterking » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:59 am

Yep. You’re not the only one.
I will always watch West Coast, outside that, it’s nearly impossible to watch a full match.
I want to, but just can’t.
And the ‘Breaking News’ crap during the week or ‘ Who does *Insert Ex Player * think can win the flag” does my head in.
Last edited by helicopterking on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:01 am

And I missed :

Pumping millions upon millions into NRL wastelands for sub-10,000 crowds to wonder what's going on as the heartland in Tasmania cries out for a team.

Rolling out mid season drafts with no respect to the state leagues around the country who do the heavy lifting with junior development to feed the AFL.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:06 am

Perhaps it's time people voted with their feet - go and attend local comps such as SANFL, WAFL, VFL and abandon the AFL games.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby MW » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:08 am

The Bedge wrote:Perhaps it's time people voted with their feet - go and attend local comps such as SANFL, WAFL, VFL and abandon the AFL games.

I think it's already started
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:10 am

MW wrote:Post of 2019. Outstanding.

Agree totally, well written.

If it was not for being near the lead in footy tips or in contention to win big money in Dreamteam comp, would not watch anymore, so frustrating where the game is at right now!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:11 am

The Bedge wrote:Perhaps it's time people voted with their feet - go and attend local comps such as SANFL, WAFL, VFL and abandon the AFL games.

I'll find it much harder to walk away from my clubs games than I have from those I have no vested interest in and I think many people will be the same.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:13 am

Without sounding salty, it's like there's a conspiracy theory in place for umpires to look after the home teams to ensure this doesn't happen, if they focus on getting the home supporters in then the battle is almost won, success brings spectators.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:14 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
MW wrote:Post of 2019. Outstanding.

Agree totally, well written.

If it was not for being near the lead in footy tips or in contention to win big money in Dreamteam comp, would not watch anymore, so frustrating where the game is at right now!

It's because that's what we do during the colder months and always have.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Spangas » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 am

You forgot to mention 'Roving Brian'.
I only sit down and watch Brisbane games.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby saintal » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:35 am

Well written.

Was chatting to colleagues earlier about how we spend our long weekends etc, and I realised I'd only watched about an hour of AFL matches (admittedly St Kilda were idle). Had the wireless/phone on the footy for some background noise at times over the weekend, but it was more out of habit than any vested interest. Got my footy fix yesterday at Noarlunga, which happened to be on the most enjoyable matches I’ve watched this season in any league (not that there aren't a raft of issues with the SANFL..that's another topic ;) ). Life is different now with a young son, so naturally my priorities are shifting and free time is reduced, but the AFL is making this transition easier than I once thought possible.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:41 am

Super post and sums up my sentiments pretty well.

I used to routinely watch multiple games per weekend, can't remember the last time i sat down and watched a non-crows game from start to finish.

It might be the slightly grumpy middle aged man in me, but the bit that s$%ts me the most is the new AFL Language that has been developed.

The 'Optics"..... is there a more wanky term getting around?!
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:48 am

Well ahead of you.

...and you all mocked me for it.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby mots02 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:49 am

HH3 wrote:Well ahead of you.

20 years ahead.

Trendsetter
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:02 pm

good post, can't believe you missed Razor Ray though :)

Now if only there was a suburban, tribal, non-AFL influenced state based competition that people could go to instead......
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:good post, can't believe you missed Razor Ray though :)

Now if only there was a suburban, tribal, non-AFL influenced state based competition that people could go to instead......

This is the kicker
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm with you Booney. I (struggle to) watch the Carlton games but I can't even sit through a Friday night game any more, let alone 9 games a weekend. I'd rather go and do something else, like catch up on old tv shows that I've put aside over the course of the past two decades.

The AFL have taken the game down a path which is catering for the minorities for the most. The studs up issue we see from yesterday is just ample reason not to watch the game any more. It's over umpired, over scrutinised and over officiated (off field). This 'kicking people out of the ground' for calling an umpire a name is just ridiculous. Here is my advice to cheer squads and supporters alike. Don't go to the game. Get a game where there are less than 100 people there and the AFL will wake up to themselves that they've taken the game into uncharted and dangerous ground.

Common sense would have been to put a team in Tassie and not bring in GWS or the Gold Coast. I'm not sure what they've added to the competition and may not in my life time. So be it. I'm only just clinging on to the game at the moment but I do know I'd much rather watch my local club play than the AFL.

Edit - saw this... sums it up really https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 51wfr.html
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:31 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Edit - saw this... sums it up really https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 51wfr.html

That's me, bay 323, Adelaide Oval.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Me reading this thread, after years of saying the exact same thing but being ridiculed for it....

I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Next

Board index   Football  AFL