PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: The AFL is losing me.....

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Booney wrote:1 "I told you so" post not enough then?

No.

If this is the "Post of 2019"...surely I get the previous three Post of the Year titles...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:12 pm

HH3 wrote:
Booney wrote:1 "I told you so" post not enough then?

No.

If this is the "Post of 2019"...surely I get the previous three Post of the Year titles...

Sorry brah, maybe you just dont have enough street cred :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby tigersarego » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Agree with everything said, these days i go out in the country and watch a game, the skill level in the AFL is going backwards, some players cant hit a target from 30 metres, goal kicking is bloody woeful, every weekend you see an overpayed tosser miss from dead in front, coaches talk in riddles @ a presser, watching the game live is out of the question its too expensive, the umpiring, well less said, having followed and played footy since the late 60's i hate to see what the game will look like in 20 years.

When it comes to watching on tv i turn the volume down as the commentators talk crap.
tigersarego
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby HH3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:21 pm

They Called Me A Madman 11062019133323.jpg
They Called Me A Madman 11062019133323.jpg (108.9 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby stan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:01 pm

Great post boon. A feeling shared by A lot of people at the moment.

I watch my tram when I can, maybe follow some scores via the AFL. But the drive to sit and watch more games on TV is low at the moment. I'll still flick a bit on at times.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:52 pm

Booney wrote:The AFL is losing me.......

We'd lost to Collingwood by 138 points and Hawthorn the following week by 165 points just 3 weeks earlier

Bringing back these days may get more people watching. :-BD

Nah, seriously, great post, and I concur with all your post and the other posters.
Sometimes I wondered whether, not following an AFL team, whether it was just me who was turning off because I wasn't as invested. It's probably been half-a-dozen years since I've been able to consistently sit down and watch full games. These days it's maybe half-a-dozen at most during the year and the finals. However, plenty of others are saying the same if their team's not involved.

Regarding the rules, I reckon right back to the mid-90's when they changed the time-on and went to 20 minute quarters, there has only been two worthwhile rule changes - the protection of the head & the hands in the back (not that I agreed with it but could see the logic in simplifying it for the umpires). Aside from that, I reckon you could make an argument that the game would be no worse off if they hadn't made those changes.

And last week Dwayne Russell wrote that increasing a mark to 20 metres is needed to stop the chipping and congestion. I would argue the opposite. Change it back to ten, then players will be forced to come closer to the kicker to man-up, creating more space down the ground.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby LMA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 pm

stan wrote:Great post boon. A feeling shared by A lot of people at the moment.

I watch my tramwhen I can, maybe follow some scores via the AFL. But the drive to sit and watch more games on TV is low at the moment. I'll still flick a bit on at times.

You have a tram, is your name Malcolm
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Good post Boon

They lost me at the start of this season with that free kick against Sicily in the Bulldogs game.

I find myself typing out something to post here or on facebook and I end up deleting it and moving on. I cant even be bothered trolling anymore :D

The one rule change that i think would save the game is a massive change to the holding the ball rule.
Make it team prior opportunity.
So the guy going in to get the ball is still protected as he is now, if he's wrapped up in a tackle with no prior opportunity we have a ball up. Once he disposes of the ball that is your opportunity used up, so if he handballs to someone 1m away and he gets wrapped up in a tackle it is holding the ball if he doesn't kick or handball, this is key, if it spills out its still holding the ball.
The way i see it. it will bring back the indiscriminate 30m kick forward, when was the last time anybody saw one of these? The coaches are so focused on maintaining possession. Every play in the game is controlled by the coaches, we need to bring back a bit of unpredictability. Now if all of a sudden we are having a lot more of these kicks you will need to play guys ahead of the ball, forwards will need to stay at home. Its amazing how quick a player can get boot to ball if he really has to. ATM its just hang on, take the tackle and have a ball up which the umpire then waits 10-15secs for 30 players to get around the ball.
It would surely simplify interpretations for the umpires.

Whats your thoughts, would it work or am I missing something
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LMA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:48 pm

I've said this before but If I didn't enjoy Supercoach so much and weren't in a longstanding tipping comp I couldn't see myself watching AFL at all. Much prefer Amateur league
LMA
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:13 pm

People have been saying the same thing for nigh on 30 years. At the end of the day every person that loses interest is replaced by two that gain interest.
We've had posts like this for as long as Safooty had been in existence. It's usually just an attention seeking exercise.

Even on this site hardly anyone talked AFL 15 years ago but the AFL forum has ten times the traffic it had when this site started.

I can appreciate people's feelings though, I've felt the same about SANFL in the last 5 years and the ARL/NRL in the last 25 years.

At the end of the day as long as crowds, memberships and ratings don't go down the controlling body won't care. And that's only happened to the SANFL out of the comps I've mentioned above.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:09 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Good post Boon

They lost me at the start of this season with that free kick against Sicily in the Bulldogs game.

I find myself typing out something to post here or on facebook and I end up deleting it and moving on. I cant even be bothered trolling anymore :D

The one rule change that i think would save the game is a massive change to the holding the ball rule.
Make it team prior opportunity.
So the guy going in to get the ball is still protected as he is now, if he's wrapped up in a tackle with no prior opportunity we have a ball up. Once he disposes of the ball that is your opportunity used up, so if he handballs to someone 1m away and he gets wrapped up in a tackle it is holding the ball if he doesn't kick or handball, this is key, if it spills out its still holding the ball.
The way i see it. it will bring back the indiscriminate 30m kick forward, when was the last time anybody saw one of these? The coaches are so focused on maintaining possession. Every play in the game is controlled by the coaches, we need to bring back a bit of unpredictability. Now if all of a sudden we are having a lot more of these kicks you will need to play guys ahead of the ball, forwards will need to stay at home. Its amazing how quick a player can get boot to ball if he really has to. ATM its just hang on, take the tackle and have a ball up which the umpire then waits 10-15secs for 30 players to get around the ball.
It would surely simplify interpretations for the umpires.

Whats your thoughts, would it work or am I missing something

THE most ridiculous rule of all time if it were brought in. The AFL SHOULD be making the game easier to umpire. This isn't.

Get rid of prior opportunity altogether (remove the grey area in the rule) and make it easier for everyone.

Get rid of the 'stacks on/holding the ball in' rule which adds no value at all.

Get rid of the sliding rule which confuses the hell out of players and fans alike.

The only difference I would have, is if a player is tackled and the ball is dislodged in the tackle prior to the player getting rid of it, it's play on. If they get tackled but retain the ball and can't kick or handball it, then it's holding the ball.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby carey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:19 pm

I blame Facebook and the Vegans. It’s always the bloody vegans.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:26 pm

Wedgie wrote:People have been saying the same thing for nigh on 30 years. At the end of the day every person that loses interest is replaced by two that gain interest.
We've had posts like this for as long as Safooty had been in existence. It's usually just an attention seeking exercise.

Even on this site hardly anyone talked AFL 15 years ago but the AFL forum has ten times the traffic it had when this site started.

I can appreciate people's feelings though, I've felt the same about SANFL in the last 5 years and the ARL/NRL in the last 25 years.

At the end of the day as long as crowds, memberships and ratings don't go down the controlling body won't care. And that's only happened to the SANFL out of the comps I've mentioned above.

I'd be interested to know what % are positive posts and what % negative? Now v then?

I agree, for every 'oldie' the AFL pi$$ off, they'll get 2 back (generally younger). And the game will keep changing (for the worst).

I don't think we'll see 3 generations enjoying the footy together though.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:People have been saying the same thing for nigh on 30 years. At the end of the day every person that loses interest is replaced by two that gain interest.

I'd be interested to know what % are positive posts and what % negative? Now v then?

I agree, for every 'oldie' the AFL pi$$ off, they'll get 2 back (generally younger). And the game will keep changing (for the worst).

The negative posts in the mid 2000s before Geelong revolutionised the game were insane, so many people were talking about giving up on the game in the 2000s when Sydney and West Coast made it a defensive bore fest. I know I (and many others) did, it was the worst football of all time.

There's more older people enjoying the game than ever before so talk about 3 generations not enjoying the game together is crazy, I noticed that working at Adelaide Oval. I'm actually amazed how many old people (and young kids) go to games these days compared to 30 years ago, its our age group in between that seem to not care as much.

I know Power fans that went to China this year that wouldn't have bothered going to Footy Park 10 years ago, and never had anytime for the Magpies who were killed off by the Power.
I get a good feel for how people feel working in pubs and the AFL is more popular now than it ever has been. Its always being talked about.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 pm

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby LMA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 pm

X_X
LMA
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:23 pm

8-[
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:56 am

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

The negative posts in the mid 2000s before Geelong revolutionised the game were insane, so many people were talking about giving up on the game in the 2000s when Sydney and West Coast made it a defensive bore fest. I know I (and many others) did, it was the worst football of all time.

There's more older people enjoying the game than ever before so talk about 3 generations not enjoying the game together is crazy, I noticed that working at Adelaide Oval. I'm actually amazed how many old people (and young kids) go to games these days compared to 30 years ago, its our age group in between that seem to not care as much.

I know Power fans that went to China this year that wouldn't have bothered going to Footy Park 10 years ago, and never had anytime for the Magpies who were killed off by the Power.
I get a good feel for how people feel working in pubs and the AFL is more popular now than it ever has been. Its always being talked about.

So based upon no real evidence then? ;-)
gadj1976
Coach

Postby mots02 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 am

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

I get a good feel for how people feel working in pubs and the AFL is more popular now than it ever has been. Its always being complained about.

EFA
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL