The AFL is losing me.....

Talk on the national game

Re: The AFL is losing me.....

Postby mots02 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:56 am

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:People have been saying the same thing for nigh on 30 years. At the end of the day every person that loses interest is replaced by two that gain interest.
We've had posts like this for as long as Safooty had been in existence. It's usually just an attention seeking exercise.

Even on this site hardly anyone talked AFL 15 years ago but the AFL forum has ten times the traffic it had when this site started.

I can appreciate people's feelings though, I've felt the same about SANFL in the last 5 years and the ARL/NRL in the last 25 years.

At the end of the day as long as crowds, memberships and ratings don't go down the controlling body won't care. And that's only happened to the SANFL out of the comps I've mentioned above.

I'd be interested to know what % are positive posts and what % negative? Now v then?

I agree, for every 'oldie' the AFL pi$$ off, they'll get 2 back (generally younger). And the game will keep changing (for the worst).

I don't think we'll see 3 generations enjoying the footy together though.

The negative posts in the mid 2000s before Geelong revolutionised the game were insane, so many people were talking about giving up on the game in the 2000s when Sydney and West Coast made it a defensive bore fest. I know I (and many others) did, it was the worst football of all time.

There's more older people enjoying the game than ever before so talk about 3 generations not enjoying the game together is crazy, I noticed that working at Adelaide Oval. I'm actually amazed how many old people (and young kids) go to games these days compared to 30 years ago, its our age group in between that seem to not care as much.

I know Power fans that went to China this year that wouldn't have bothered going to Footy Park 10 years ago, and never had anytime for the Magpies who were killed off by the Power.
I get a good feel for how people feel working in pubs and the AFL is more popular now than it ever has been. Its always being talked about.

This is what ranks too highly on the AFL's agenda.

Gil is turning the AFL Into a Kardashian
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:58 am

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:People have been saying the same thing for nigh on 30 years. At the end of the day every person that loses interest is replaced by two that gain interest.
We've had posts like this for as long as Safooty had been in existence. It's usually just an attention seeking exercise.

Even on this site hardly anyone talked AFL 15 years ago but the AFL forum has ten times the traffic it had when this site started.

I can appreciate people's feelings though, I've felt the same about SANFL in the last 5 years and the ARL/NRL in the last 25 years.

At the end of the day as long as crowds, memberships and ratings don't go down the controlling body won't care. And that's only happened to the SANFL out of the comps I've mentioned above.

I'd be interested to know what % are positive posts and what % negative? Now v then?

I agree, for every 'oldie' the AFL pi$$ off, they'll get 2 back (generally younger). And the game will keep changing (for the worst).

The negative posts in the mid 2000s before Geelong revolutionised the game were insane, so many people were talking about giving up on the game in the 2000s when Sydney and West Coast made it a defensive bore fest. I know I (and many others) did, it was the worst football of all time.

There's more older people enjoying the game than ever before so talk about 3 generations not enjoying the game together is crazy, I noticed that working at Adelaide Oval. I'm actually amazed how many old people (and young kids) go to games these days compared to 30 years ago, its our age group in between that seem to not care as much.

I know Power fans that went to China this year that wouldn't have bothered going to Footy Park 10 years ago, and never had anytime for the Magpies who were killed off by the Power.
I get a good feel for how people feel working in pubs and the AFL is more popular now than it ever has been. Its always being talked about.

:shock: :lol: :lol:

surely you jest???
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 am

I love the game now, but i am increasingly becoming very frustrated with the constant rule changes... I certainly understand why people are jumping off...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:13 am

woodublieve12 wrote:I love the game now, but i am increasingly becoming very frustrated with the constant rule changes... I certainly understand why people are jumping off...

As I noted in my initial attention seeking post I don't think people are walking away from their club or not watching their team, but they are walking ( or looking ) away from neutral games where their club isn't involved.

Most of us would have watched 4,5 or more games across a weekend, the overwhelming response in here that belies numbers tabled from front bar test is that people still watch their team yet rarely sit through matches not involving their team.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:17 am

=)) =))
Booney wrote::lol:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:18 am

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

131 465
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:19 am

Just when you thought the bar was set at an unreachable level.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:40 am

On thing that had crept in over the last 2-3 years is every team seems to play exactly the same, the whole game in a 80m bubble across the ground and if teams can get it outside the bubble most the time they have no one to kick to except grass, goals are coming more and more a result of some luck and scrambled snap shots that hitting forwards on the chest with foot skills. Teams would rather hit the hotspot 10-15m out with 20 players around the ball than try to hit a forward on the lead 40-50m out because if they turn over the ball in that spot they are exposed to a full ground turnover, whereas a kick to the hot spot can be defended more easily.

Even as little as 2 years ago different teams had a defined style, now I can't tell any difference between teams.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am

Dutchy wrote:On thing that had crept in over the last 2-3 years is every team seems to play exactly the same, the whole game in a 80m bubble across the ground and if teams can get it outside the bubble most the time they have no one to kick to except grass, goals are coming more and more a result of some luck and scrambled snap shots that hitting forwards on the chest with foot skills. Teams would rather hit the hotspot 10-15m out with 20 players around the ball than try to hit a forward on the lead 40-50m out because if they turn over the ball in that spot they are exposed to a full ground turnover, whereas a kick to the hot spot can be defended more easily.

Even as little as 2 years ago different teams had a defined style, now I can't tell any difference between teams.

That's an excellent point.

"The games won in the midfield" rings truer and truer every year. Midfield pressure, turn over, score.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 am

Dutchy wrote:On thing that had crept in over the last 2-3 years is every team seems to play exactly the same, the whole game in a 80m bubble across the ground and if teams can get it outside the bubble most the time they have no one to kick to except grass, goals are coming more and more a result of some luck and scrambled snap shots that hitting forwards on the chest with foot skills. Teams would rather hit the hotspot 10-15m out with 20 players around the ball than try to hit a forward on the lead 40-50m out because if they turn over the ball in that spot they are exposed to a full ground turnover, whereas a kick to the hot spot can be defended more easily.

It's like a combination between soccer and basketball.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3998 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 am

I think there are 2 teams that tend to play with a player or 2 up forward that they can kick to, it may be coincidence but they are top of the ladder...
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby reppoh_eht » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:54 am

There is plenty wrong with the game... But 2 simple fixes I would make are:
1. Umpire to throw the ball up as soon as practically possible after a stoppage. No need to wait for ruckman, if they are not there - that's the teams fault.
2. Allow third man up (should never have removed the rule in the first place).

Most of us say we prefer the local footy product over the AFL version - why is this? IMO it's because we haven't introduced most of the bullshit rules and interpretations the AFL have over the last 5-10 years.
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 am

It hasn't been mentioned but I wonder if the next step being considered is the anti-density rule that the u16's & u18's at TAC Cup and SANFL level use.

The rule is an extension of the 6/6/6 and requires 2 players from each team to be inside 50 at every stoppage.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:58 am

Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:I love the game now, but i am increasingly becoming very frustrated with the constant rule changes... I certainly understand why people are jumping off...

As I noted in my initial attention seeking post I don't think people are walking away from their club or not watching their team, but they are walking ( or looking ) away from neutral games where their club isn't involved.

Most of us would have watched 4,5 or more games across a weekend, the overwhelming response in here that belies numbers tabled from front bar test is that people still watch their team yet rarely sit through matches not involving their team.

totally agree...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:06 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Good post Boon

They lost me at the start of this season with that free kick against Sicily in the Bulldogs game.

I find myself typing out something to post here or on facebook and I end up deleting it and moving on. I cant even be bothered trolling anymore :D

The one rule change that i think would save the game is a massive change to the holding the ball rule.
Make it team prior opportunity.
So the guy going in to get the ball is still protected as he is now, if he's wrapped up in a tackle with no prior opportunity we have a ball up. Once he disposes of the ball that is your opportunity used up, so if he handballs to someone 1m away and he gets wrapped up in a tackle it is holding the ball if he doesn't kick or handball, this is key, if it spills out its still holding the ball.
The way i see it. it will bring back the indiscriminate 30m kick forward, when was the last time anybody saw one of these? The coaches are so focused on maintaining possession. Every play in the game is controlled by the coaches, we need to bring back a bit of unpredictability. Now if all of a sudden we are having a lot more of these kicks you will need to play guys ahead of the ball, forwards will need to stay at home. Its amazing how quick a player can get boot to ball if he really has to. ATM its just hang on, take the tackle and have a ball up which the umpire then waits 10-15secs for 30 players to get around the ball.
It would surely simplify interpretations for the umpires.

Whats your thoughts, would it work or am I missing something

THE most ridiculous rule of all time if it were brought in. The AFL SHOULD be making the game easier to umpire. This isn't.

Get rid of prior opportunity altogether (remove the grey area in the rule) and make it easier for everyone.

Get rid of the 'stacks on/holding the ball in' rule which adds no value at all.

Get rid of the sliding rule which confuses the hell out of players and fans alike.

The only difference I would have, is if a player is tackled and the ball is dislodged in the tackle prior to the player getting rid of it, it's play on. If they get tackled but retain the ball and can't kick or handball it, then it's holding the ball.

Forgot about the sliding rule. This is actually the third change whose intention has been good, but the interpretation is the problem. It should be paid one time every few weeks, not a few times every week.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Spangas » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:It hasn't been mentioned but I wonder if the next step being considered is the anti-density rule that the u16's & u18's at TAC Cup and SANFL level use.

The rule is an extension of the 6/6/6 and requires 2 players from each team to be inside 50 at every stoppage.

I want to see AFL footballers wearing coloured armbands so umpires know which position they should be playing
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby mots02 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Spangas wrote:
Dutchy wrote:It hasn't been mentioned but I wonder if the next step being considered is the anti-density rule that the u16's & u18's at TAC Cup and SANFL level use.

I want to see AFL footballers wearing coloured armbands so umpires know which position they should be playing

Just go with these instead

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Great point.

I've never had a team to follow in the AFL, I didn't grow up with Australian born parents and had always grown up with the need to have a tangible connection with an AFL team. I lived a kick across from Elizabeth Oval so Centrals were my one and only, just like West Ham are the only team I support regardless of what division they are in.

As a kid though I wouldn't miss too many AFL games on TV, I would have a team of interest each season or players I loved to watch. I would analyse how each teams different style would match up on anothers and believe I was some kind of expert.

Like so many as the years have gone on I struggle to get through a game. The skills and pace is greater than ever before for mine the game has never been so boring. Most teams look to play a similar style, and the ball just wizzes up and down the field like a game of basketball. I cant remember the last time I watched a full game of AFL....would be years. Even longer if you went back to the last time I watched a full AFL TV presentation. These days quarter time is for muting, changing the channel or doing anything but listen to the spiel.

I guess it comes down to what style of sports you like. I have always loved the tactics of a sport even if that means its played a slower, less skilled pace, its no coincidence I love test cricket and love soccer.

As others have said though, im no loss to the AFL and whilst I wrote this most likely two or three younger people have fallen more in love with the game.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Booney wrote:

12 likes for the ASP, well done!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:25 pm

It a all good the AFL have released a statement about what is acceptable at the "theatre" that is match days....
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL