I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 pm

A couple of things to note regarding travel insurance.

Travel insurance generally won't cover any costs to fly back to Australia due to the death of an immediate family member that has an existing illness. This means that you will be out of pocket by a mile if you have to fly them home and then fly yourself back to the UK.

Does the Grandmother play a big part in their lives; ie, do they see her daily/every weekend, if so, then the request for them to come back is reasonable, however making you pay for it, is not. I'd be putting to her, if they come home, they stay home, which means that the only extra cost you will incur is possibly the cost of changing the return flight. - she then may get the guilts and then agree to pay half to send them back with you after the funeral.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm

Footy Chick wrote:A couple of things to note regarding travel insurance.

Travel insurance generally won't cover any costs to fly back to Australia due to the death of an immediate family member that has an existing illness. This means that you will be out of pocket by a mile if you have to fly them home and then fly yourself back to the UK.

Does the Grandmother play a big part in their lives; ie, do they see her daily/every weekend, if so, then the request for them to come back is reasonable, however making you pay for it, is not. I'd be putting to her, if they come home, they stay home, which means that the only extra cost you will incur is possibly the cost of changing the return flight. - or she pays half to send them back with you after the funeral.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely wouldn't be flying back to the UK, if I have to fly the kids back to Oz that will be the end of my holiday. I have tried to come to an arrangement about costs for the return and unfortunately at this stage she is using her position of power to dictate it's a 'risk' I need to take.

They are close to her and get to see her no less than 3-4 times a week. The weekends I have the kids happened to fall on mothers day and there grandmothers birthdays this year and no questions asked I happily swapped weekends to ensure the kids could spend those days with their grandmother.

I guess im trying to be as reasonable as possible but I think on this instance im getting taken for a bit of a ride and the mother is putting her needs before the children's best interests.

If im perfectly honest im not an overly emotive person and probably don't put as much 'weight' on the funeral rather concentrating on the time spent with the person prior to their death.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Mate go and have a good holiday and not worry about it.
IF the worse does happen then have plan B to return home.
You only get one funeral but hopefully you can go overseas again if needed.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:12 pm

If that's the case, then you're not really going to be out of pocket that much, except for any costs for having to change the date for your return flight - perhaps the way around this is to purchase a flexi-fare on the return leg. You would've had to pay for the a return flight anyway so in theory it's not going to leave you thousands out of pocket. Unfortunately, it's still best to book a return date. Again, travel insurance may refuse to pay any claim if you don't have your return flight booked.

Maybe send the Pirate a PM, he knows more about flight stuff than me.

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:16 pm

Footy Chick wrote:If that's the case, then you're not really going to be out of pocket that much, except for any costs for having to change the date for your return flight - perhaps the way around this is to purchase a flexi-fare on the return leg. You would've had to pay for the a return flight anyway so in theory it's not going to leave you thousands out of pocket. Unfortunately, it's still best to book a return date. Again, travel insurance may refuse to pay any claim if you don't have your return flight booked.

Pirates know about sailing not flying.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:17 pm

Footy Chick wrote:If that's the case, then you're not really going to be out of pocket that much, except for any costs for having to change the date for your return flight - perhaps the way around this is to purchase a flexi-fare on the return leg. You would've had to pay for the a return flight anyway so in theory it's not going to leave you thousands out of pocket. Unfortunately, it's still best to book a return date. Again, travel insurance may refuse to pay any claim if you don't have your return flight booked.

Unfortunately due to the agreed childrens custody order I have to have a locked in set return date which I do agree with as being a fair T&C.

That's the other issue I suppose. We are travelling to England for a week and then spending two weeks in Ireland so we will land in London and then leave from Belfast.

If this was to happen whilst in England could I transfer my flight which was leaving Belfast to one leaving London.
Last edited by whufc on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Well then hopefully all this is for nothing, the kids will enjoy their holiday of a lifetime and Nan will still be around when they get back

Footy Chick

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Well then hopefully all this is for nothing, the kids will enjoy their holiday of a lifetime and Nan will still be around when they get back

Couldn't agree more, but unfortunately I'm not going to get the signed agreement without the presumption something does happen. I 100% intend on honouring any agreement I sign, so I want to make sure it's fair, reasonable and secondly I can't afford to lose thousands on the situation. To which rightly my current partner wouldn't be overly accommodating to either.

Thanks FC for the advice.

This entire situation has been extremely stressful, right from the issues getting the dual signature for the passports and especially considering im just trying to do something special for my kids.

At times it has felt much easier to just go without the two older kids but that would take a lot of shine of what should be a special life moment.
whufc
Coach

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Footy Chick wrote:If im perfectly honest im not an overly emotive person and probably don't put as much 'weight' on the funeral rather concentrating on the time spent with the person prior to their death.

Spot on. Funerals are more for the living than the dead. It may sound a tad harsh but it’s true.
We would all like to be there to farewell loved ones but the time you spent with them whilst alive is infinitely more important & remembered than the funeral.
Good luck with how it goes, mate. You’ll make the right call.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:34 pm

whufc wrote:

Unfortunately due to the agreed childrens custody order I have to have a locked in set return date which I do agree with as being a fair T&C.

That's the other issue I suppose. We are travelling to England for a week and then spending two weeks in Ireland so we will land in London and then leave from Belfast.

If this was to happen whilst in England could I transfer my flight which was leaving Belfast to one leaving London.

Most airlines will allow a change for fee if on a Flexi or similar fare.
We had a return Adelaide to Paris flight with Cathay a few years back and due to some dramas had to return home early and left from London, cost us $150 each to change the flights.
Just beware that some flights at sale prices will have a strict no change policy
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Spargo wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:If im perfectly honest im not an overly emotive person and probably don't put as much 'weight' on the funeral rather concentrating on the time spent with the person prior to their death.

Spot on. Funerals are more for the living than the dead. It may sound a tad harsh but it’s true.
We would all like to be there to farewell loved ones but the time you spent with them whilst alive is infinitely more important & remembered than the funeral.

I'm glad someone else has similar thoughts, I was a bit sceptical about posting that part but didn't feel I could paint the full picture without showing my thought process.

The other hard part is their grandmother is a strong old type. I am sure If she was asked (which I would never do) would she rather her grandchildren be on the holiday of a lifetime or at a funeral and wake for a few hours I know what she would want. Especially considering she was a enthusiastic world wide traveller herself.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:37 pm

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:

We had a return Adelaide to Paris flight with Cathay a few years back and due to some dramas had to return home early and left from London, cost us $150 each to change the flights.
Just beware that some flights at sale prices will have a strict no change policy

I will have to take some legal advice around whether I am allowed to purchase a flexi flight because of the need to have a set return date as part of the custody order.

Nothing is simple hey.
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:53 pm

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:

I will have to take some legal advice around whether I am allowed to purchase a flexi flight because of the need to have a set return date as part of the custody order.

Nothing is simple hey.

Flexi is just a name for a type of fare only. Airlines will have several fare buckets such as Sale, Saver, Economy, Flexi etc. All it means is there are different costs for changes, cancellations, ability to upgrade and extra points etc. Taking Qantas for example on a Economy Sale fare which is the cheapest it is still flexible but you will pay extra for changes and it might not allow cancellations. The next level is usually Economy Saver and that will cost more to purchase but cheaper to cancel or change and then you have Economy Flexi which is usually free cancellation or changes but often nearly as dear as Premium Economy.
If going Qantas, take the cheapest as it’s only about $220 to make changes
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Spargo wrote:

:shock: I didn't write that

Footy Chick

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:01 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Spargo wrote:

:shock: I didn't write that

No you didn’t!
whufc did - what happened there??
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Footy Chick wrote:A couple of things to note regarding travel insurance.

Can confirm above, we went to Bali in March last year, got there Thursday night, Saturday morning we got a call that my Mother in Law has been rushed to hospital and wasn't in a good way (had Cancer for 9 years). We had to quickly book flights to get back urgently, had to return via Perth to ensure we got home that night, thankfully we did as we got to say our goodbyes while she was still conscious. Its cost us about $1,500 plus lost flights that we had already paid for, tried to claim it on travel insurance but got rejected due to pre-existing condition.

While its tough, no-one has a crystal ball, plan as best you can and enjoy your holiday, likely outcome is that all will go well and you wont regret a thing.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 am

whufc wrote:What's the right/wrong thing to do. Sorry for the long post.

I was given a substantial bonus from my work to which they also requested I use it to take time off between April this year and October next year. I work in the aquatic industry so summer is a no go for us. I am really keen to take advantage of this as I have dedicated my life to work over the last few years and really could do with the substantial break.

The plan is I am looking to take my two eldest girls 11 & 8 (from a previous marriage) overseas to the UK/Ireland to visit our family they have never met. I also have a 1 year old from current relationship who we are looking to take before she turns two (and then we have to pay for her flights as well.) My partner is Irish and we have free accommodation locked up for the entire holiday.

We are looking to travel in May next year as that way I can catch some EPL etc whilst over there.

As part of the divorce agreement I am required to have written permission from my ex to be able to take my girls overseas. Whilst she has been 'ok' there have been some stumbling blokes trying to arrange this which have been extremely petty. The latest of the stumbling blocks though is not petty and has me a dilemma.

The ex wifes mother has terminal cancer and has been struggling on for a couple of years now. There has been no clear indication of how long she will live and her condition ebs and flows as many would understand.

Now the ex-wife has informed me she will only sign the permission if I sign to say that 'if' the mother passes away whilst overseas I will fly the girls back home immediately to be with her family and attend the funeral. Now don't get me wrong I don't wish any bad feelings on the ex-mother and law she was good to me during the marriage but really unsure if this is a reasonable request.

Obviously I will have invested extremely heavily in the holiday with everything from getting the girl passports (to which I am paying in full and have agreed in writing to allow the ex to use if needed) through to the flights, suitcases which they don't have, tickets to places such as Harry Potter World etc. I can get travel insurance but that wont cover all my expenses and the ex is refusing to compensate me in any way.

I get the want to have them there but this is also a once in a life time opportunity for the kids which in my case I will never get back.

Sorry about the long post but this one has got me stuffed from all aspects, morally, financially, fairness etc.

How long you planning on being away?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:33 am

amber_fluid wrote:

Pirates know about sailing not flying.

ARRRGH
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:49 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:What's the right/wrong thing to do. Sorry for the long post.

I was given a substantial bonus from my work to which they also requested I use it to take time off between April this year and October next year. I work in the aquatic industry so summer is a no go for us. I am really keen to take advantage of this as I have dedicated my life to work over the last few years and really could do with the substantial break.

The plan is I am looking to take my two eldest girls 11 & 8 (from a previous marriage) overseas to the UK/Ireland to visit our family they have never met. I also have a 1 year old from current relationship who we are looking to take before she turns two (and then we have to pay for her flights as well.) My partner is Irish and we have free accommodation locked up for the entire holiday.

We are looking to travel in May next year as that way I can catch some EPL etc whilst over there.

As part of the divorce agreement I am required to have written permission from my ex to be able to take my girls overseas. Whilst she has been 'ok' there have been some stumbling blokes trying to arrange this which have been extremely petty. The latest of the stumbling blocks though is not petty and has me a dilemma.

The ex wifes mother has terminal cancer and has been struggling on for a couple of years now. There has been no clear indication of how long she will live and her condition ebs and flows as many would understand.

Now the ex-wife has informed me she will only sign the permission if I sign to say that 'if' the mother passes away whilst overseas I will fly the girls back home immediately to be with her family and attend the funeral. Now don't get me wrong I don't wish any bad feelings on the ex-mother and law she was good to me during the marriage but really unsure if this is a reasonable request.

Obviously I will have invested extremely heavily in the holiday with everything from getting the girl passports (to which I am paying in full and have agreed in writing to allow the ex to use if needed) through to the flights, suitcases which they don't have, tickets to places such as Harry Potter World etc. I can get travel insurance but that wont cover all my expenses and the ex is refusing to compensate me in any way.

I get the want to have them there but this is also a once in a life time opportunity for the kids which in my case I will never get back.

Sorry about the long post but this one has got me stuffed from all aspects, morally, financially, fairness etc.

How long you planning on being away?

Roughly 3 and half weeks give or take a couple of days either side.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:10 am

Anyone been to the ice hockey recently?

Been invited along Saturday before the footy to a drinks package area.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion