Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Minimum Chips » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:45 pm

North Eastern Nuffy wrote:Page leaving TTG is a very strange move. Apparently stated that he needed to play on a small oval and a flat wicket in order to have a 'big year' as it is his last one on a State contract. Doesn't make a huge amount of sense considering he came second in the Bradman Medal and made a truck load of runs the previous year. I wonder if it is a panic decision? Maybe needs to address some off field issues first before blaming facilities and taking the easy option.

Agreed - very odd and a strange excuse. I wouldn't have thought Perteringa too big? I've always had the impression that the outfield was reasonably quick and the boundary can be cleared easily as well? Most ovals in grade cricket wouldn't be hard to score on if you're good enough with most pitches being pretty flat.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:15 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:
North Eastern Nuffy wrote:Page leaving TTG is a very strange move. Apparently stated that he needed to play on a small oval and a flat wicket in order to have a 'big year' as it is his last one on a State contract. Doesn't make a huge amount of sense considering he came second in the Bradman Medal and made a truck load of runs the previous year. I wonder if it is a panic decision? Maybe needs to address some off field issues first before blaming facilities and taking the easy option.

Agreed - very odd and a strange excuse. I wouldn't have thought Perteringa too big? I've always had the impression that the outfield was reasonably quick and the boundary can be cleared easily as well? Most ovals in grade cricket wouldn't be hard to score on if you're good enough with most pitches being pretty flat.

Good was able to get some cricket talk going, season be here before we know it! Few new posters too which is nice, some excellent points and thoughts made too!

Have to agree with the majority, most of the changing clubs is due to pushy parents, don't want to to the hard yards and earn a spot. One reason the argument we have too many clubs is so valid, the depth of players no longer there and lots of these kids should not be playing 1st Grade yet.

If Page did not have a three year deal with Redbacks he was gone, is definitely a desperate move changing Clubs. Strange to link up again with Agar as he was the main one who led him astray in the first place!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Slidingdoors » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:16 pm

I think you’ll find The mass exodus at Pertaringa has a lot to do with Gatting returning and also captaining the side.
Slidingdoors
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Mypolonga

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Slidingdoors wrote:I think you’ll find The mass exodus at Pertaringa has a lot to do with Gatting returning and also captaining the side.

Please say that's just a sick joke!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Catter4lyfe wrote:To be fair Eagles your previous comments around Weeksy approaching Kam to try and steal him were simply incorrect. Speaking to the lad who played at our club for the season he didnt even know who Weeksy was.

Respect you view Catter, but I was there the night we played Port in the 20/20. When we were having a drink after the win, Kam pointed to Weeksy and said he wanted to meet him this week to talk about next year. Did not want to go back over old ground, but you are right, Kam had absolutely no idea who he was, just that "big bloke over there". That is a fact, about 8 other blokes in the circle were there!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:10 pm

Who's Kam?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Who's Kam?

Assuming he talking about Kamau Leverock, played for Walkerville last year and West Torrens in 20/20 comp. apparently committed to play full time for West Torrens this season.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:41 pm

Strange that quite a few players and kids who are in state squads are moving clubs. You'd think that if they are getting picked in these squads then their cricket must be going alright?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Minimum Chips » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:13 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Strange that quite a few players and kids who are in state squads are moving clubs. You'd think that if they are getting picked in these squads then their cricket must be going alright?

Would they be getting paid, or offer of being paid by the club they move to?
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:30 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Strange that quite a few players and kids who are in state squads are moving clubs. You'd think that if they are getting picked in these squads then their cricket must be going alright?

You would think so!

I have heard stories of SACA coaches and Tim Neilson advising some of these players to move clubs, which I think is totally wrong. As mentioned before, not many that switch, it actually ends up helping, may be short term gain, but all catches up with them eventually.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:10 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

You would think so!

I have heard stories of SACA coaches and Tim Neilson advising some of these players to move clubs, which I think is totally wrong. As mentioned before, not many that switch, it actually ends up helping, may be short term gain, but all catches up with them eventually.

All the players in squads have to put down goals for the season

If they put down 'play majority of games in 1st Grade' for instance and that doesn't end up happening, then it turns them against their club.

"Ricky Ponting played 1st Grade cricket at 14 blah blah blah."

"If you want to play state cricket then you need to do xyz by this age."

This time pressure creates a dangerous mindset whereby players are more concerned about the grade they play in rather than how they actually play.

Mind you I'm not so concerned when players leave clubs like Gullies or Kensington who are usually strong performers. That sort of thing should be happening to a degree.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby The Hound » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:50 pm

So if Oakley goes to Adelaide then it may put a cat amongst the pigeons.

J Pengelley will want to be the strike bowler, Agar will want to be the strike bowler, Valente will want to be the strike bowler, Oakley will want to be the strike bowler, good luck to Taity managing that, will certainly test his coaching early!

Kids and parents these days do to much comparison against other players in their age group and have little loyalty, making it difficult to keep.
One of the reasons TTG have been strong is they were able to keep 3 qtrs of there side together for a number of years.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Migh be some green decks at Glandore!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Minimum Chips » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:00 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Migh be some green decks at Glandore!

....and some bowlers "green with envy" if they don't get a go!! :D
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby Minimum Chips » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:01 pm

The Hound wrote:So if Oakley goes to Adelaide then it may put a cat amongst the pigeons.

J Pengelley will want to be the strike bowler, Agar will want to be the strike bowler, Valente will want to be the strike bowler, Oakley will want to be the strike bowler, good luck to Taity managing that, will certainly test his coaching early!

and B Pengelley
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:21 pm

They will need extra bowlers if J Pengelly, Agar and Valente are all out with BBL commitments
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Port Pirie Power » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:32 am

Tim Oakley headed to Uni I heard..

Anyone else hear the same?
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Arch44 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:02 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Migh be some green decks at Glandore!

I think you will find a few less roads to bat on this season.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Arch44 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:44 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:Tim Oakley headed to Uni I heard..

Woodville perhaps?
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Arch44 wrote:
Port Pirie Power wrote:Tim Oakley headed to Uni I heard..

Woodville perhaps?

Don't know if he is the smartest tool in the shed! That's about 4 clubs he has committed to now!

Heard he rang Matt Weaver to tell him he was leaving and Weaver spat it at him and hung up. Still think strong chance he will do what he did last year and back pedal and stay at TTG.

TTG lost Ben Hutchinson as well (moved to London), Evans retired, let Schwarz go to Uni last year, now Oakley, be light on for bowlers by the looks.
Eagles2014
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps