Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:07 pm

Good for Geelong. 3 players I'm genuinely scared of out for one good player and one that can't count to 30 and could gift us another win.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:18 pm

How does Motlop escape scrutiny. Far worse player than those like Jenkins and Walker who cop it regularly
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Brodlach wrote:How does Motlop escape scrutiny. Far worse player than those like Jenkins and Walker who cop it regularly

You had me with the first sentence but lost me with the 2nd....
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby carey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:55 pm

Brodlach wrote:How does Motlop escape scrutiny. Far worse player than those like Jenkins and Walker who cop it regularly

Motlop and Sam Gray must have photos.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:39 pm

Who’s Motlop?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1277 times
Been liked: 3476 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:10 am

Corona Man wrote:

Who’s Motlop?

Plays for Kenilworth.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:11 am

Far worse than Walker, I'll pay that bit.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Gilligan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Really puzzled with selections this week , recruit Lycett so we can run a 2 ruck system with one playing as the third tall in forward line ala West Coast then when we finally get our key forward back we drop one of the rucks . So in essence we never even trialed it to see if it would work .
So far all year Ryder and Lycett in all except about 2 games have been expected to play as the go to forward when resting , which is something that none of the other clubs going with 2 rucks do ie Brisbane , West Coast ( who play with 2 tall forwards plus the resting ruck in the pocket ).
Would have at least thought they would have given it a go for a couple of games to see what happened , also puzzled with dropping Westhoff who plays his best footy when able to play multiple positions drifting back , wing etc just not when played as the main go to forward but we keep Motlop and Amon in the side
Sometimes the old guys do know whats best
Gilligan
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Gilligan wrote:Really puzzled with selections this week , recruit Lycett so we can run a 2 ruck system with one playing as the third tall in forward line ala West Coast then when we finally get our key forward back we drop one of the rucks . So in essence we never even trialed it to see if it would work .
So far all year Ryder and Lycett in all except about 2 games have been expected to play as the go to forward when resting , which is something that none of the other clubs going with 2 rucks do ie Brisbane , West Coast ( who play with 2 tall forwards plus the resting ruck in the pocket ).
Would have at least thought they would have given it a go for a couple of games to see what happened , also puzzled with dropping Westhoff who plays his best footy when able to play multiple positions drifting back , wing etc just not when played as the main go to forward but we keep Motlop and Amon in the side

I don't mind the fact we've gone for extra run against the Cats.

Dixon will play deep, Howard will play higher and when Lycett needs a chop out Howard will ruck and Dixon play up the ground a bit more.

Concerned with Fort and Hawkins, Clurey matches up with Hawkins ok but I think we need Howard's height on Fort, not sure how that will work out.

Would like to see Dixon and Frampton as the key forwards with Frampton the second ruck and Howard get back into defence.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Gilligan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Booney wrote:
Gilligan wrote:Really puzzled with selections this week , recruit Lycett so we can run a 2 ruck system with one playing as the third tall in forward line ala West Coast then when we finally get our key forward back we drop one of the rucks . So in essence we never even trialed it to see if it would work .

Dixon will play deep, Howard will play higher and when Lycett needs a chop out Howard will ruck and Dixon play up the ground a bit more.

Concerned with Fort and Hawkins, Clurey matches up with Hawkins ok but I think we need Howard's height on Fort, not sure how that will work out.

Would like to see Dixon and Frampton as the key forwards with Frampton the second ruck and Howard get back into defence.

That could work but still would like to see what was all talked about at end of season when Lycett was recruited about playing the 2 key forwards with resting ruck as third option , mine would be Marshall at CHF with Dixon FF , Ryder / Lycett changing in forward pocket With Rozee , Ebert , resting on baller on flanks
Sometimes the old guys do know whats best
Gilligan
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Yeah, I would've liked to have at least one try at Paddy being up forward with Charlie taking the best tall defender, something we haven't had the luxury in trying.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:01 pm

Gilligan wrote:That could work but still would like to see what was all talked about at end of season when Lycett was recruited about playing the 2 key forwards with resting ruck as third option , mine would be Marshall at CHF with Dixon FF , Ryder / Lycett changing in forward pocket With Rozee , Ebert , resting on baller on flanks

Marshall needs another 10-15 kgs on him to be a key position player.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:05 pm

Gilligan wrote:
Booney wrote:

That could work but still would like to see what was all talked about at end of season when Lycett was recruited about playing the 2 key forwards with resting ruck as third option , mine would be Marshall at CHF with Dixon FF , Ryder / Lycett changing in forward pocket With Rozee , Ebert , resting on baller on flanks

Agreed, a forward half with Dixon and a fit and in form Marshall + resting ruckman looks the most dangerous.

Dixon FF, Frampton/Ryder and Marshall CHF role, up the ground when needed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:38 am

JK wrote:I give them a big chance to win this week, but either way I reckon it should be a good game against the Cats. Think this is a "Mini Grand Final"for Port so they will come to play and from memory the Cats in recent years have often been a bit rusty off the bye?

Woomp there it is
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:16 am

JK wrote:
JK wrote:I give them a big chance to win this week, but either way I reckon it should be a good game against the Cats. Think this is a "Mini Grand Final"for Port so they will come to play and from memory the Cats in recent years have often been a bit rusty off the bye?

Woomp there it is

Good get, only wish I was as confident as you were!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:11 am

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:

Woomp there it is

Good get, only wish I was as confident as you were!

I’m sure it wouldn’t have made the performance any less enjoyable bud ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:15 am

JK wrote:

Woomp there it is

Another SGM gone begging, had:
Port 1-19
Robbie to score a goal
Rozee to score a goal (They kicked the first two)
Robbie 20+ disposals
Wines 20+ disposals
Ebert 20+ disposals

Ebert shagged me, had a 7 legger yesterday where Hoskin-Elliot's inability to score a goal cost me, I even had Grundy to get 20+ disposals.

Makes the games more interesting and I'll take the Port win regardless.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Whilst the scars have healed they are still very visible and any time Port Adelaide faces Geelong those scars flare up. They itch. They burn.

The win over Melbourne in round 1 has had the gloss taken off it with their continued abysmal form, the win over West Coast in Perth was the shining light of season 2019 for Port Adelaide, that was at least until Saturday night when Port toppled the ladder leader Geelong by 11 points under lights at Adelaide Oval and didn’t we enjoy it.

From the very first bounce and opening few minutes of play there was a clear advantage to Port on show, Scott Lycett, his frame was proving too much for Geelong’s Rhys Stanley to deal with and in the middle and around the ground Lycett was making his presence felt. So too was Port Adelaide’s prime movers, Robbie Gray and Travis Boak had some important touches early and Lycett’s take from the ruck to Robbie Gray who kicked the first of the match was indicative of how Port’s clearance structures would hold sway all night. Port won the first 10 clearances of the night, Houston with two of them and if not for some inaccuracy early on Port’s 14 point ¼ time lead could have been more. Lycett was now working at both ends of the ground and his mark on the D50 arc soon transitioned from one end to the other where Rozee ran into an open goal for Port’s second of the quarter and 5 minutes later the crowd got off their bums to welcome big Charlie Dixon back to AFL football as he kicked his 200th career goal and first in 315 days. So good to see the big man back out there. He plays with such passion and aggression, he is the team mate all team mates want. He probably never knew how a football club worked until he arrived at Port Adelaide, my guess is much of that passion is born from the support he gets from the players, team mates and passionate fans. #weareportadelaide

While Geelong, as expected, steadied the ship in the second quarter to some extent Port extended the lead to 19 points at half time on the back of Boak ( 7 clearances for the half ) and goals to Wines, Burton and Farrell. The key stat to this point was Port’s full ground defensive effort had kept the Cats to just 3 goals to half time, their lowest half time score of the year.

After half time the Cats got their game going. Kelly, Miers and Fort goaled as Sam Gray’s major was Port’s only goal for the quarter. It was during the third quarter that Geelong’s Gary Rohan left the field after colliding with Karl Amon. Now, Amon isn’t really known for his body work, albeit it has improved over the last 6 weeks, but he held his ground off the ball and, for want of a better term, took Rohan out. I expect it to cost him a game, but, if this is the 2019 Karl Amon then I like this version much better than the 2018 model. 23 touches, 7 I50, 5 tackles and 6 clearances is the type of numbers many Port fans think Amon is capable of. We might just not see it next week. 9 points at ¾ time and the Cats are still right there.

Within a minute of the last quarter starting Lycett is open on the outer wing, he strolls towards 50 where he pumps the ball in deep, Dixon keeps the big bodied defender at bay and Rozee marks unattended, goes back and kicks truly. I thought we were home around this time. It may have been the beer, but everything felt good. When Blicsacavksks kicked across field to find Robbie Gray who kicked his second only a few minutes later it was out to 22 points and Port looked home. Defensively the shut down was still on. Clurey ensured the Murray mouth stayed open by giving Hawkins a bath, he need not shower after that one. This allowed Jonas to get away as the extra in contests, Garner again looked at home in the air and on the ground, Hartlett welcomed one young kitten to Adelaide Oval with a bone jarring hit and Burton again did what he had to, when he had too.

The midfield was outstanding, offensively and defensively. Boak ( 11 clearances 8 tackles ), Houston ( 5 and 6 ), Amon ( 6 and 5 ) all worked both ways. Houston has really added some balance to Port’s midfield and he’ll make it hard for Rockliff and SPP to break back into that unit after going head to head with Tim Kelly all night and having the better of that match up.

Excellent night at the football. The welcome addition of James Squire’s Chancer Golden Ale to the refreshment stand didn’t go unnoticed by this punter.

Boon’s best – Lycett, R.Gray, Clurey, Boak, Houston, Amon.

Next week the plucky Western Bulldogs who make any side earn the win over them.

Changes? One. I think Amon will get a week for his hit on Rohan, either SPP, Drew or Sutcliffe may come in to replace him.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Will Howard get a game for his hit on Taylor? I recon that means Westy or Paddy back in.

Agree Houston into the middle has been a good move. Kenny gets one right every now and then.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:33 pm

Trader wrote:Will Howard get a game for his hit on Taylor? I recon that means Westy or Paddy back in.

Agree Houston into the middle has been a good move. Kenny gets one right every now and then.

I reckon the Howard whack is just a fine.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL