Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby locky801 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:25 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Of the 57 touches I’m not sure how many were contested anyway.
I watched the game and his teammates were obviously aware he was setting some sort of record as they looked for him when there were better options.

very few were contested, he had 17 possessions in the last 1/4 so you are right when saying they were feeding him.

I would say 57 possessions in the SANFL against North with their side would equal about 12 possessions in an AFL game ;) however nothing against the lad, he went out and did what he had to do
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3699 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby goddy11 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:10 pm

locky801 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Of the 57 touches I’m not sure how many were contested anyway.
I watched the game and his teammates were obviously aware he was setting some sort of record as they looked for him when there were better options.

very few were contested, he had 17 possessions in the last 1/4 so you are right when saying they were feeding him.

I would say 57 possessions in the SANFL against North with their side would equal about 12 possessions in an AFL game ;) however nothing against the lad, he went out and did what he had to do

Ridiculous statement. Its a magnificent achievement in trying conditions.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby LMA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:40 pm

goddy11 wrote:
locky801 wrote:

Ridiculous statement. Its a magnificent achievement in trying conditions.

I agree, like when people were trying to take the polish off Riley Obriens standout game against Richmond because of who he was up against
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:47 am

A conversation over heard at a local pub on Saturday afternoon :

“Hey Dave, Port’s win easy tonight?”

“We should, but these are exactly the ones we’re capable of losing”

“Rubbish, you’ll touch them up, no problems”

“Wish I was that confident”

As I’m walking across the Adelaide Oval footbridge in steady rain I discover that both my boots have a split in the sole and by the time I enter the Southern Plaza a steady *squelch squelch* is making its way up from my feet through my entire body to my ear drums. In all reality I should have turned around and gone home then. I didn’t, for one thing I am not is fair weathered and there’s around 23,000 Port fans who are in the same boat. When our crowds drop you can almost be assured there’s a core of around 23,000 who are the same people there win, lose or draw, rain, hail or shine. It’s those people who, like me, went home Saturday night soggy and angry and probably woke up angry, hopefully not soggy.

I’ll cop being beaten by a better side, I’ll cop losing when you know you’re outclassed but one thing I won’t cop is being outworked and when Port lose its typically on the back of poor work rate. Like every side we’re capable of turning the ball over under pressure and getting hurt on the rebound, that’s how the modern game is played and that cursed us through ’16 and ’17, we tidied that up a bit last year and this year we’ve taken another step towards rectifying that but on Saturday night it wasn’t skills that let us down it was work rate and the Bulldogs were harder and hungrier on the inside and worked harder and smarter on the outside. This made me angry.

Some of our game play on the weekend was baffling. Ollie Wines, 6’ 3” and 100kgs is built for the conditions, he’s built for see ball, get ball, he’s never really played a tagging role but what is he asked to do on Saturday night? He’s asked to quell the influence of Marcus Bontempelli in a role he’s unfamiliar with. It didn’t work on two fronts, Bontempelli killed us on the inside and the outside and Wines had no impact on the game as he spun around looking for the Bont instead of playing on instinct and winning the ball. I’m getting angry about now.

It was always going to be a night to play in front in general play. So what did we do in general play? We spent most of the night behind or zoning off as one scrubber kick after another landed in the lap of an unchecked Bulldog playing in space in front of his man. I talk about our defensive zone locking down on opponents when we win the territory game, as we did on Saturday night, but that zone bit us on the arse when we lost possession as loose men for the Dogs scrambled the ball forward and we played off them in a zone. It had to be man on man and we didn’t adjust at any point. I’m really angry.

Again we win the inside 50 count, by 20 on the night, no less, and had some 24 more through the second and third quarters. It wasn’t a night for leading up marking forwards, it certainly wasn’t a night for pack marking but what did we do? We bombed it onto Dixon and Ladhams head time after time expecting one of them to mark it. It wasn’t going to work and it didn’t. At the foot of the pack we were constantly outnumbered, out worked. Smart players in these conditions hang out the back as the ball invariably slips off hands and carries the pack and our plan was to leave Caleb Daniel out the back on his own like a cleaner mopping up the water coming out of my boots. Now I’m livid.

I could go on.

The worst part of this diabolical loss is that to a man/woman that core of 23,000 I mentioned above would not have been one bit surprised by it. Too often we’ve been let down and I didn’t walk away from the game disappointed, I walked away angry. I walked away angry in cold, wet socks with driving rain and howling wind smashing me in the face but in a strange twist that wasn’t the worst part of my night.

Boons’ best : Hartlett, Lycett, Boak

Changes for next week :

Howard and Amon become available after serving their suspensions, Rockliff and Westhoff should earn a recall with their form in the SANFL. Butters, in particular, has had a few down weeks and should make his way out, Motlop, again, should be cast aside and Ladhams probably makes way for Howard.

In – Rockliff, Amon, Westhoff, Howard
Out – Drew, Butters, Motlop, Ladhams
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:47 am

Booney wrote:We spent most of the night behind or zoning off

I know the game these days is all about guarding space, zoning etc.. but surely you adjust to the conditions - old school 1v1 contests.. positive metres, play to advantage.

Wines as a tagger is laughable, and makes zero sense.

Kenny did done stuffed up and stuffed up bad.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby mots02 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:10 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:We spent most of the night behind or zoning off

I know the game these days is all about guarding space, zoning etc.. but surely you adjust to the conditions - old school 1v1 contests.. positive metres, play to advantage.

Wines as a tagger is laughable, and makes zero sense.

Kenny did done stuffed up and stuffed up bad.

"You get what...."" ah... you guys know the rest by now
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:31 am

mots02 wrote:"You get what...."" ah... you guys know the rest by now

How sad.. dont even need to listen to the pressers these days and can still prob work out what was said.

I'm sure Hinkley would've thrown lines out like "credit to the opposition.." "we were poor, we know that, we know we need to be more consistent, we will work on that.." "Oh of course it's frustrating, something something it's such a tight tough comp though, only need to be 5% off"
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby JK » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:36 am

The Bedge wrote:

How sad.. dont even need to listen to the pressers these days and can still prob work out what was said.

I'm sure Hinkley would've thrown lines out like "credit to the opposition.." "we were poor, we know that, we know we need to be more consistent, we will work on that.." "Oh of course it's frustrating, something something it's such a tight tough comp though, only need to be 5% off"

I even read the "something something" in Kenny's voice :lol:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:20 pm

JK wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I even read the "something something" in Kenny's voice :lol:

Saw a comment on FB.

In Ken, we rust!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2226 times
Been liked: 2520 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:54 pm

How have people seen Burtons year?
He doesn’t do enough in games for my liking.
I think he’s been lucky to keep his spot at times this year.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:56 pm

Motlop is a cancer. Cut him out and you will improve. Seriously one sided, no defensive side to his game and won't put his head over the ball. I danced a victory dance when Port took him. I was worried he might 'Varcoe' us but that hasn't happened.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:03 pm

amber_fluid wrote:How have people seen Burtons year?

Once live, once at the pub but mostly on the lounge room TV.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Any of them sober?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:08 pm

Nup, can't agree with that. He's been solid at worst most games this year, he's cemented a spot down back ahead of several half back flankers who he was battling for a spot with. In fact his form has allowed Houston to go into the midfield.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:08 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Any of them sober?

Welcome to the SA Footy Stupid Post Hall of Fame for 2019.....

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:09 pm

As a neutral I think Burton has been very solid and a good addition to Port.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Any of them sober?

Welcome to the SA Footy Stupid Post Hall of Fame for 2019.....

Thank you!
It’s been a long year but well worth it.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Booney wrote:

Nup, can't agree with that. He's been solid at worst most games this year, he's cemented a spot down back ahead of several half back flankers who he was battling for a spot with. In fact his form has allowed Houston to go into the midfield.

He certainly looks the goods with ball in hand, I just don’t think he does it enough.
Not sure of his possessions per game but he wouldn’t have high numbers compared to other HBF in the game?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:31 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

He certainly looks the goods with ball in hand, I just don’t think he does it enough.
Not sure of his possessions per game but he wouldn’t have high numbers compared to other HBF in the game?

Averaging 20, had 25 on the weekend. has had 2 games under 20 ( Collingwood 19, Adelaide 3 when he did the hammy ).

2.5 tackles, 4 R50, 2 I50, 4 marks. (avg).
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mots02 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Think his form has dropped off lately but i liked this from Titus

"Ken Hinkley described his team as ‘untrustworthy’, which while accurate, probably isn’t the best thing to describe everyone you work with, especially when you’re in charge."

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL