Roy Laird’s last season coaching

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Roy Laird’s last season coaching

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:38 pm

StrayDog wrote:
beef wrote:Any early guesses as to who will take over. Believe he isn't full time so unless the club changes that i can't see anyone from within the AFL system taking it. All the "locals" will say Gowans twins or Platten but in my opinion is 0% chance of happening and would be a terrible appointment. Ex players in the coaching system that stand out would be Guerra and Thomas (but $$ will be an issue), Scott Dutschke coaching Freeling, Matt Slade coaching North Adel womens team. Personally i think it should be an outsider

Not all the "locals"' will say that, certainly no more than anyone else.

Lessons long learned from other clubs, and from within, that playing legends don't necessarily make the best coaches (North folk might care to back me up there), and that lesser known players can make very good coaches and leaders.

Besides recent history, Alan Stewart got the Club to our first Grand Final in the '90s. By contrast Gary Window, a Magarey Medallist, coached the club to its last spoon 18 years earlier.

my rumour is that Guerra has already been approached.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby LMA » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:26 pm

UK Fan wrote:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9922526%2F

People are referring to this LMA.

I don't to Facebook UK Fan, SAFooty is my Facebook only without the 500 word post/brag of how proud someone is of their child for making SAPSASA, Duck Face and photo's of last nights dinner.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Brett » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:30 pm

DOGS64 , I think most realised what you were getting at and thanks for posting that it was good to read it again. Its not just SANFL supporters see what damage the AFL is doing. Its a disgrace and another accolade to Laird IMO .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Al22 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:29 pm

beef wrote:Any early guesses as to who will take over. Believe he isn't full time so unless the club changes that i can't see anyone from within the AFL system taking it. All the "locals" will say Gowans twins or Platten but in my opinion is 0% chance of happening and would be a terrible appointment. Ex players in the coaching system that stand out would be Guerra and Thomas (but $$ will be an issue), Scott Dutschke coaching Freeling, Matt Slade coaching North Adel womens team. Personally i think it should be an outsider

In the 19 premierships won since 2000, they have been won 15 times by coaches who were ex players of their club, and 4 times by coaches from outside. Outsiders were 2001 Centrals coached by Alistair Clarkson, 2002 Sturt coached by Brenton Phillips, 2011 WWT coached by Mick Godden, and 2018 North coached by Josh Carr. Jonas, Laird, Fuller, Basset, Mattner, Mickan all played for the club they coached to premierships.
Al22
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby norwood8 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:02 am

Well done to Roy Laird on an unbelievable run, the SANFL will be much poorer without him.

Would love to see him employed by the SANFL in some aspect, he would sort out those that are a cancer to the league in no time.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Magellan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:29 am

norwood8 wrote:Well done to Roy Laird on an unbelievable run, the SANFL will be much poorer without him.

Would love to see him employed by the SANFL in some aspect, he would sort out those that are a cancer to the league in no time.

Great idea, although I suspect he's not enough of a 'yes' man for John Olsen's liking.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby PanthersFan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:11 am

Excellent coach and the master of a dynasty other clubs can only dream of. Well done Roy and all the best for the future!
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby LMA » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:02 am

norwood8 wrote:Well done to Roy Laird on an unbelievable run, the SANFL will be much poorer without him.

Cancer, really! A hideous disease that effects us all and should never be spoken about out of context. Appalling, over-dramatic :(
LMA
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:04 am

LMA wrote:

Cancer, really! A hideous disease that effects us all and should never be spoken about out of context. Appalling, over-dramatic :(

would the word "hemmorhoids" be more appropriate? :D ;)
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby mal » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:17 am

About time
I dont think Norwood ever beat Centrals in finals when Roy Laird was coach
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:27 am

mal wrote:About time
I dont think Norwood ever beat Centrals in finals when Roy Laird was coach

you won't have to worry about that this year.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby therisingblues » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm

LMA wrote:

Your first post was to complain about this becoming an "AFL whinge thread', yet you're doing more to make it that than any other person posting here.
Roy's stance on the AFL was admired by all of us, and fittingly, will be brought up in his own tribute thread.
P.S. as defined in the dictionary: a cancer is "an evil or destructive practice or phenomenon that is hard to contain or eradicate."
I think Norwood 8 is spot on, and Roy would agree also.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby locky801 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Fantastic coach and surely joins the legends of past eras (Oatey/F. Williams etc) in that field.

Hopefully wont be lost to the game, has to much to offer, bet a few Country and Ammo clubs will be circling come seasons end ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby LMA » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:50 pm

therisingblues wrote:
LMA wrote:

Your first post was to complain about this becoming an "AFL whinge thread', yet you're doing more to make it that than any other person posting here.
Roy's stance on the AFL was admired by all of us, and fittingly, will be brought up in his own tribute thread.
P.S. as defined in the dictionary: a cancer is "an evil or destructive practice or phenomenon that is hard to contain or eradicate."
I think Norwood 8 is spot on, and Roy would agree also.

Ah the old dictionary reference, I must retract then :roll:
LMA
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:01 pm

Who coached the 1st 2 flags for Centrals.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby LMA » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:06 pm

Clarkson got 1 atleast
LMA
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:06 pm

cracka wrote:Who coached the 1st 2 flags for Centrals.

Peter Jonas and Alastair Clarkson?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:13 pm

Magellan wrote:
cracka wrote:Who coached the 1st 2 flags for Centrals.

Peter Jonas and Alastair Clarkson?

Correct.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Brett » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Therisingblues don't bring logic into it mate. ;)
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:03 pm

He'll go down as a legend for the premierships, but just as admirable was his willingness to rebuild and stick it out in tougher times and his passion for the SANFL and public voice for a better SANFL. Much respect to a man who did/does everything for the right reasons and does it well.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL