AFL 2019 season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2019 season

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
beef wrote:Good luck dealing with Essendon at trade week.

After the Ryder fiasco there will be zero favours given to Port. If he does decide to go I would imagine we would be trying to get the Crows involved

We'll finish 13th or 14th so pick 5 or 6 would get it done.

Yeah, I’d think a pick in the top 6 would be enough but I guess we have to wait and see if he actually puts in a request first
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Is he the first player to come out and say he wants to leave before the end of the season?

The wording of the article suggests he's not kept it a secret.

A bit of mayo on it methinks.
He has indicated in the past that he will return home one day but he hasn’t informed anyone that it will be this year.
As of a couple of weeks ago he was still investigating the possibility of getting his GF to move to Melbourne next year. Perhaps that has fallen through?

Don't do it son!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:45 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Is he the first player to come out and say he wants to leave before the end of the season?

The wording of the article suggests he's not kept it a secret.

A bit of mayo on it methinks.
He has indicated in the past that he will return home one day but he hasn’t informed anyone that it will be this year.
As of a couple of weeks ago he was still investigating the possibility of getting his GF to move to Melbourne next year. Perhaps that has fallen through?

In 2 years he'd be a RFA, he/they may have decided whether it's now or in 2 years he'll be heading home so no point coming over if that's the case.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

AFL 2019 season

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:56 pm

His managed has just said he isn’t leaving Essendon.

Heeeesssss goooooooone :)
Jim05
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Booney wrote:You can have our first rounder and Sam Gray!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-03/ ... n-box-seat

EXCITING Essendon forward Orazio Fantasia has indicated a desire to return home to South Australia, with Port Adelaide believed to be his preference in that scenario.

Both the Power and Crows are aware of Fantasia's wish, but the Norwood product's longstanding relationship with Nathan Bassett has Port Adelaide in the box seat if Essendon agrees to trade him in 2019.

The Bombers are understood to have long known Fantasia would request a trade home at some stage in his career, but wouldn't give the young star up without a fight.

The biggest stumbling block is that Fantasia signed a two-year contract extension in August last year to remain at Tullamarine until the end of 2021.

That contract will take him through to free agency, where the 23-year-old would be able to walk to the team of his choice.

However, clubs are increasingly preferring to trade players in Fantasia's situation before they reach free agency, to ensure they receive maximum compensation.

Essendon doesn't have a first-round pick in this year's draft – using it as part of the Dylan Shiel deal – and hasn't selected there since 2016, but that would be the minimum requirement to prise Fantasia from the Bombers.

Fantasia played in Norwood's 2013 SANFL senior premiership team, coached by Bassett, who also mentored him in his junior days.

Bassett joined Essendon as an assistant coach soon after that Grand Final triumph, about a month before they drafted Fantasia with the No.55 selection.

"We have a really strong relationship," Fantasia said of Bassett at the time.

"Working with 'Bass' … has taught me a lot as both a player and as a person. I think I have grown and matured under him, and it is going to be good to work under him again."

Bassett spent two years at the Bombers before crossing to the Power after the 2015 season, and is currently the club's forwards coach.

Fantasia, whose girlfriend and immediate family live in Adelaide, has kicked 105 goals in 69 matches for Essendon and become an integral part of its attack.

He enjoyed a breakout season in 2016, booting 29 goals, then followed up with 39 the next year, but a series of injuries and illness have limited his appearances this season and last.

Fantasia has barely been out of the spotlight this year, most prominently for the way his surname is pronounced and being the player Hawks captain Ben Stratton pinched relentlessly.

maximum? More like 'known' compensation rather than the free agency raffle that occurs year upon year.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Any relation to James?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby locky801 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:55 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Booney wrote:You can have our first rounder and Sam Gray!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-03/ ... n-box-seat

EXCITING Essendon forward Orazio Fantasia has indicated a desire to return home to South Australia, with Port Adelaide believed to be his preference in that scenario.

Both the Power and Crows are aware of Fantasia's wish, but the Norwood product's longstanding relationship with Nathan Bassett has Port Adelaide in the box seat if Essendon agrees to trade him in 2019.

The Bombers are understood to have long known Fantasia would request a trade home at some stage in his career, but wouldn't give the young star up without a fight.

The biggest stumbling block is that Fantasia signed a two-year contract extension in August last year to remain at Tullamarine until the end of 2021.

That contract will take him through to free agency, where the 23-year-old would be able to walk to the team of his choice.

However, clubs are increasingly preferring to trade players in Fantasia's situation before they reach free agency, to ensure they receive maximum compensation.

Essendon doesn't have a first-round pick in this year's draft – using it as part of the Dylan Shiel deal – and hasn't selected there since 2016, but that would be the minimum requirement to prise Fantasia from the Bombers.

Fantasia played in Norwood's 2013 SANFL senior premiership team, coached by Bassett, who also mentored him in his junior days.

Bassett joined Essendon as an assistant coach soon after that Grand Final triumph, about a month before they drafted Fantasia with the No.55 selection.

"We have a really strong relationship," Fantasia said of Bassett at the time.

"Working with 'Bass' … has taught me a lot as both a player and as a person. I think I have grown and matured under him, and it is going to be good to work under him again."

Bassett spent two years at the Bombers before crossing to the Power after the 2015 season, and is currently the club's forwards coach.

Fantasia, whose girlfriend and immediate family live in Adelaide, has kicked 105 goals in 69 matches for Essendon and become an integral part of its attack.

He enjoyed a breakout season in 2016, booting 29 goals, then followed up with 39 the next year, but a series of injuries and illness have limited his appearances this season and last.

Fantasia has barely been out of the spotlight this year, most prominently for the way his surname is pronounced and being the player Hawks captain Ben Stratton pinched relentlessly.

maximum? More like 'known' compensation rather than the free agency raffle that occurs year upon year.

In Fantasia out Motlop, get about the same amount of games out of them ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3651 times
Been liked: 1160 times

AFL 2019 season

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 pm

Doesn’t mean much this far out but Fantasia has refuted the rumours and has stated he will be staying at Essendon.
The bloke who broke the story was backpedaling on his story and now claims he meant Fantasia would finish his career back in Adelaide
Jim05
Coach

Postby LMA » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Does that mean that Port will get more games involving BT? If so please stay at Essendon
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby stan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Old Tommy has gone early with this one.
Last edited by stan on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Is this the same goose who has had about eight possessions in his last eight quarters? Another Essendon marshmellow WGAF..

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:56 am

Rik E Boy wrote:Is this the same goose who has had about eight possessions in his last eight quarters? Another Essendon marshmellow WGAF..

regards,

REB

Doesn't play for Geelong = poo.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:59 am

It's ok to not be ok. If anyone from the SA Footy family ever wants to chat, I'm all ears.

Collingwood star Dayne Beams has explained in heartbreaking details why he will take an indefinite break from AFL football to deal with mental health issues.

Beams, 29, announced his decision on Wednesday in a Collingwood statement and followed it with a revealing Instagram post. The statement said that Beams intended to return to football, but only once his mental health had improved.

“I have been on the record in the past about the battles I have fought. Right now, I need to step away and regather myself,” Beams said.

“I hope people will understand that this is something I need to do for myself and, importantly, my family. Our wellbeing is the highest priority.”

Beams also took to his social media account to share more details about the mental struggle he's experienced recently.

"Just to follow on from the statement released today from the club... I am a broken man at the moment and this is very very real for myself and the people that I love at the moment," Beams wrote.

"I am not posting this for people to feel sorry for me or to speculate about my life. I am posting this because this is an issue that I will continue to shine a light on because it is real and it can be so so debilitating if it’s not treated.

"So I plead with anyone out there doing it tough just to tell someone because in doing that you are already taking the first steps towards recovery and living a happier and loving life.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:11 am

There's been whispers for quite some time about him getting in well over his head on the punt. I don't know whether they're true or not and don't really care, my reason for mentioning it is that I hope that's not the case. I hadn't realised until recently how far down the hole some of the player punters had gone - The figures being bandied in a few cases would definitely have to affect their mental state.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 am

Brodlach wrote:Any relation to James?

Despite both reigning from Norwood I don't think he is.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby JK » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:36 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Any relation to James?

Despite both reigning from Norwood I don't think he is.

Yep pretty sure there’s no relation
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby hollywood7477 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:46 pm

JK wrote:There's been whispers for quite some time about him getting in well over his head on the punt. I don't know whether they're true or not and don't really care, my reason for mentioning it is that I hope that's not the case. I hadn't realised until recently how far down the hole some of the player punters had gone - The figures being bandied in a few cases would definitely have to affect their mental state.

I’ve heard that he was around 300k in debt and Eddie told him if you come back to Collingwood I’ll pay ur debt!!! I reckon that is abit far fetched story but I heard it from a cpl of people
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:09 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
JK wrote:There's been whispers for quite some time about him getting in well over his head on the punt. I don't know whether they're true or not and don't really care, my reason for mentioning it is that I hope that's not the case. I hadn't realised until recently how far down the hole some of the player punters had gone - The figures being bandied in a few cases would definitely have to affect their mental state.

I’ve heard that he was around 300k in debt and Eddie told him if you come back to Collingwood I’ll pay ur debt!!! I reckon that is abit far fetched story but I heard it from a cpl of people

How does that work with the salary cap? AFL turn a blind eye?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby hollywood7477 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:58 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
hollywood7477 wrote:

How does that work with the salary cap? AFL turn a blind eye?

Under the table payments!!!
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:00 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:

I heard it was a lot more than that. 4-5x in fact.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL