13%
Tea Tree Gully
9%

Total votes : 54

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2019

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:57 pm

oldman wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:If a players comes back on early and doesn't kick a goal, would anyone know?

Possibly not and that's the issue. I don't believe the fact that he kicked a goal is relevant. One could argue that the player who replaced him could have kicked the goal. If Port Districts are to be penalised I don't believe taking the goal off them is an appropriate penalty.

I'm sure the powers to be will make the correct decision. My thoughts are the only suitable penalty is to disallow the goal as that's the only outcome which is fair to Henley who are the innocent victim I'm this case.

If Port Districts have a case to answer (I'm not convinced they do) and a penalty has to be applied, taking the goal off their score is not a sustainable solution. What happens if next week their full back gets a yellow card and returns early? What penalty are you going to apply in a scenario where the player hasn't scored?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:15 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
oldman wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:If a players comes back on early and doesn't kick a goal, would anyone know?

Possibly not and that's the issue. I don't believe the fact that he kicked a goal is relevant. One could argue that the player who replaced him could have kicked the goal. If Port Districts are to be penalised I don't believe taking the goal off them is an appropriate penalty.

I'm sure the powers to be will make the correct decision. My thoughts are the only suitable penalty is to disallow the goal as that's the only outcome which is fair to Henley who are the innocent victim I'm this case.

If Port Districts have a case to answer (I'm not convinced they do) and a penalty has to be applied, taking the goal off their score is not a sustainable solution. What happens if next week their full back gets a yellow card and returns early? What penalty are you going to apply in a scenario where the player hasn't scored?

Treat it as an extra player on the field.
Same penalty should apply.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby S Demon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:39 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

So give Henley a free kick and 50m penalty? In what game should they do that in?
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:42 pm

S Demon wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

So give Henley a free kick and 50m penalty? In what game should they do that in?

Forgot that rule changed.
I was thinking more of wiping the score for that quarter.
If that means they lose the game then so be it.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:50 pm

S Demon wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

They can all suit up and head out there tonight.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:55 pm

More accurately, it's no penalty unless the captain asks for a count at the time.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:31 pm

jo172 wrote:Accepting that it's amateur footy and that shit will from time to time happen also seems likely.

By all means learn from it and improve the processes, but this wouldn't strike me as a crisis worthy of any intervention*

*unless there was some kind of deliberate mal-intent on the part of the Club/Yellow Carded player

But its not ok firstly to get a yellow card, and what is the point of the yellow card if the player returns after 7 minutes instead of 10

If PD got the ok from the henley steward, then its henleys fault

If PD put the player out there in its own free will then its districts fault

All of this forum speculation will forever be speculation because only the 2 clubs football directors will know what actually happened and unless the goal is terminated then nothing eventuates from this interchange error. Surely action has been taken already if it needs to be, if not tonight, then when
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:59 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
S Demon wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Nah just give Marbles a penalty kick over on the soccer field tonight instead.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby LMA » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:46 pm

jo172 wrote:I'm tending to think this is all a bit storm meet tea cup.

Yeah it's D1, yeah it would appear to have had the potential to alter the match, and perhaps consequentially the final 5.

Ultimately it's still amateur footy. Shit will at times happen for no other reason than accident.

:YMAPPLAUSE: How many touched of the boots get paid a mark that result in a goal, how many contentious goal umpire decisions are there. Its amateur league not the Pros, not that they can get it right. Massive storm in a teacup
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby oldman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:39 pm

LMA wrote:

Yeah it's D1, yeah it would appear to have had the potential to alter the match, and perhaps consequentially the final 5.

Ultimately it's still amateur footy. Shit will at times happen for no other reason than accident.

:YMAPPLAUSE: How many touched of the boots get paid a mark that result in a goal, how many contentious goal umpire decisions are there. Its amateur league not the Pros, not that they can get it right. Massive storm in a teacup

If it doesn't bother you that much then why doesn't your club admit again they got it wrong and agree to have the score for that quarter or even just that goal removed. I mean it's only amateur league.
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:12 pm

The player count rules do have prescribed outcomes/penalties if a team is in breach. But those rules clearly state if a team has more than the permitted amount of players on the field. PD did have the permitted number on the field but one of the guys on the bench should have been on the field instead of number 6. So the player count rules do not specifically apply to what happened on Saturday. The rules are silent on the effect of the game if a carded player returns sooner than 10 mins which is also no different to the 20 minute stretcher rule and if a player goes back on less than 20 minutes after being stretchered off.

So similar to the SANFL Prelim last year (when WWT didn't call for a count) I don't think the league has the power to alter the score or the result but they could still penalise the club for breaching the laws of the game and/or rules of the league. And maybe the player count rules get amended to also cover which players are permitted on the field at the time of the count.

Maybe too much is being made of this but at least it's boosted the Div 1 input on here.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby LMA » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:44 pm

oldman wrote:
LMA wrote:

If it doesn't bother you that much then why doesn't your club admit again they got it wrong and agree to have the score for that quarter or even just that goal removed. I mean it's only amateur league.

Again? Please explain. It wasn't our home game and assume both Henley and District had timekeepers to keep each other accountable what's there to admit. If you are suggesting that the coaching staff have cheated then you're so far off the mark.

Amazes me that players make more mistakes, that cost their team the win, then umpires or any other officials but we don't here a peep about that. We've become a generation that loves the melodrama.
LMA
Coach

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:57 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
S Demon wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Nah just give Marbles a penalty kick over on the soccer field tonight instead.

Dude youre not well.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby jo172 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:57 pm

Advertiser reporting Henley have been awarded the game.

If Henley wanted to take the point which evidently they did (and I suppose fair enough in their circumstances) right result.

You'd think it'll be a long time before anyone makes the same mistake
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby marbles » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:36 pm

jo172 wrote:Advertiser reporting Henley have been awarded the game.

If Henley wanted to take the point which evidently they did (and I suppose fair enough in their circumstances) right result.

You'd think it'll be a long time before anyone makes the same mistake

Could you copy n paste the article here joey?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:09 pm

Adelaide Footy League overturns result, hands win to Henley after Port District player breaches rule by returning to field

Look away, Eagles fans. The result of a footy game has been overturned after a team had a player on field when he should not have been, drawing comparisons to the SANFL preliminary final.

Matt Turner, Messenger Community News

The Adelaide Footy League has overturned the result of a game in which a team kicked two goals when one of its players was not supposed to be on the field.

Henley and Port District were level on 45 points – 7.3 to 6.9 – at the end of their division one match at Henley on Saturday but on Thursday, the league awarded the win to bottom-placed Sharks.

In shades of the 19th man saga from last year’s SANFL preliminary final, an Adelaide Footy League rules and regulations committee found Port District player James Batty had returned to the field too early from a yellow card send-off and that the Magpies booted two goals, including one by Batty himself, while he was meant to still be on the bench.

Port District’s James Batty (right) was found to have returned to the field too early after receiving a yellow card on Saturday. Picture: AAP/Mark BrakePort District’s James Batty (right) was found to have returned to the field too early after receiving a yellow card on Saturday. Picture: AAP/Mark Brake

Under league rules, players who receive a yellow card for misconduct must spend 10 minutes on the interchange before they can come back on but they can be replaced.

An umpire yellow-carded Batty at quarter-time and he re-entered the ground about seven minutes into the second quarter.

The league redacted the two goals (12 points) from Port District’s score, giving Henley the win.

Port District has until midday on Friday to appeal the league’s decision to overturn the result.

Henley football director Brian Leys believed the case was “pretty black and white”.

“If you punch someone in the face, you get suspended,” Leys said.

“If you go back on the field when you’re supposed to be off the field, your score gets taken off you.”

Awarding Henley the victory could have a huge bearing on the top-tier competition.

The Sharks (2-8-1) were bottom after Saturday but the win would move them up to eighth, and drop Adelaide University (3-8) into the relegation zone.

Port District stays fourth.

League chief executive John Kernahan said the Magpies acted in good faith but had broken the rules, which stated yellow-carded players needed to be off for 10 continuous minutes on the interchange steward’s clock and there was no stopping for time-on.

“Whilst unfortunate, we think our application of this rule is fair and reasonable and certainly in the spirit of the game,” Kernahan said.

“The fact this has resulted in a change to the outcome of the match is immaterial to our thinking.

“Not only was a player on the ground who shouldn’t have been, in a curious twist the player is the very player who scored one of the two goals scored whilst he was on the field.”

In the past two years, SA footy has had two well-known cases of a club breaching the rules by having a player on the ground who should not have been.

North Adelaide registered one goal and one behind with an extra man on the ground for three minutes and 39 seconds in the SANFL preliminary final against Woodville-West Torrens in September, and went on to beat the Eagles by five points.

North Adelaide players celebrate last year’s SANFL grand final win, which followed the 19th man saga in the preliminary final a week earlier. Picture: Sarah ReedNorth Adelaide players celebrate last year’s SANFL grand final win, which followed the 19th man saga in the preliminary final a week earlier. Picture: Sarah Reed

But a SANFL tribunal upheld the result of the game – instead fining North $10,000 and docking four premiership points from it for 2019 – allowing the Roosters to play in the following week’s grand final, which they won.

In May last year, Waikerie’s score – and 44-point lead – was wiped after mistakenly fielding an extra player in a Riverland Football League game and the club ended up sustaining its first loss in 30 matches.

“It’s not a new decision-making process for us,” Kernahan said.

“On occasion we have made the same determination of score adjustment if we have been able to determine what score was added to the scoreboard if there happened to be a 19th man type scenario.

“We believe applying the Laws of the Game are paramount to protecting the game’s integrity at all levels.”

Port District president Clayton Johnson did not want to comment.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:33 pm

So, if Port Districts hadn't scored during the time Batty wasn't supposed to be on the ground, what would the penalty have been? Nothing, I assume, based on the above report.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:48 pm

Should be like Rugby League and player sit with the time keeper or in a neutral monitored spot until their time has lapsed, rather then going straight to the bench.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:57 pm

The Bedge wrote:Should be like Rugby League and player sit with the time keeper or in a neutral monitored spot until their time has lapsed, rather then going straight to the bench.

A sin bin .... that would work.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby LMA » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:03 pm

So how did they know that he came back on after 7 mins, if it was the timekeepers who noticed it why didn't they inform the coaches to get him off
LMA
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League