Your poison of choice?

Anything!

Re: Your poison of choice?

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:29 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Mids yep.

I love them. You can have more drinks and still drive home and be under the limit (importantly).

In order of taste;

James Squire The Constable - 3.4%
Little Creatures - Rogers - 3.8%
Lazy Yak - 3.5%
Coopers - Mild Ale - 3.5%

In order of cheapest to most expensive

Coopers $47 (375ml bottle)
Lazy Yak $48 (330ml bottle)
James Squire $49 (345ml bottle)
Little Creatures $62 (330ml bottle)

James Squires is miles ahead in taste IMO.

Others I've tried;

XXXX Gold - myah, will drink it on tap if it's cheap
Great Northern - ok
Hahn Super Dry 3.5 - terrible, my wife drinks it.
Carlton Mid - ok

Cheers, I'll sample some more.

I have a portable breatho and the missus and I have a deal, if it's her family shindig, I'll drive and vice versa, but now I've found a couple of decent lighter options I don't mind taking a 6 pack as I can be there for 2-3 hours and still register under 0.02, end up winning a couple of points for when we get home too as she would've toppled a bottle of champers or two.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Pseudo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:41 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I have a portable breatho and the missus and I have a deal, if it's her family shindig, I'll drive and vice versa, but now I've found a couple of decent lighter options I don't mind taking a 6 pack as I can be there for 2-3 hours and still register under 0.02, end up winning a couple of points for when we get home too as she would've toppled a bottle of champers or two.

Now there's a discussion worth having: how accurate do you reckon it is, how much was it, and was it worth the coin?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:42 am

Pseudo wrote:Now there's a discussion worth having: how accurate do you reckon it is, how much was it, and was it worth the coin?

I'd be hesitant to back it in.

Risk v Reward.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby tipper » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:46 am

Booney wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Now there's a discussion worth having: how accurate do you reckon it is, how much was it, and was it worth the coin?

Risk v Reward.

yeah, id be using that a as a guide at best, more likely a curiosity at parties. if it showed anywhere close to 0.05 i wouldnt go near a car.

many years ago i know of a guy that blew into a $100 one of those that was for sale at harris scarfe at the time. he registered 0.08 despite being dead sober. although id assume that they have gotten better in the last 20 years or so
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:05 am

Pseudo wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I have a portable breatho and the missus and I have a deal, if it's her family shindig, I'll drive and vice versa, but now I've found a couple of decent lighter options I don't mind taking a 6 pack as I can be there for 2-3 hours and still register under 0.02, end up winning a couple of points for when we get home too as she would've toppled a bottle of champers or two.

Now there's a discussion worth having: how accurate do you reckon it is, how much was it, and was it worth the coin?

They do have to meet Australian standards and they need to be calibrated per a certain amount of tests or time.

I done some research when I purchased mine and asked a lot of questions and yes, you get what you pay for.

I test my readings even if I'm not going anywhere to get a gauge on what consumption I have vs time, I can usually guess mine or the wife's reading pretty closely by drink counting and from the last time either of us ate.

I wouldn't go under $200 for one.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:08 am

Booney wrote:

Risk v Reward.

Yep, if it was a borderline reading I'd add 10% for sure, at least.

I think the more you use it and understand your consumption vs time the more confident in it's accuracy that you get.

I did go through an RBT not long ago after having 2 stubbies at my sisters house, my reading actually climbed slightly on my portable by the time I got home.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:11 am

tipper wrote:
Booney wrote:

Risk v Reward.

yeah, id be using that a as a guide at best, more likely a curiosity at parties. if it showed anywhere close to 0.05 i wouldnt go near a car.

many years ago i know of a guy that blew into a $100 one of those that was for sale at harris scarfe at the time. he registered 0.08 despite being dead sober. although id assume that they have gotten better in the last 20 years or so

At the end of the day, 0.05 is FA, 3 pints in 90 minutes will put you over that regardless of how well you handle your piss or how big you are, the old 2 standard drinks in the first hour and 1 for each hour after is the best guide, unfortunately most of us drink quicker after downing a couple so it's hard to adhere to.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:12 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
tipper wrote:
Booney wrote:

Risk v Reward.

At the end of the day, 0.05 is FA, 3 pints in 90 minutes will put you over that regardless of how well you handle your piss or how big you are, the old 2 standard drinks in the first hour and 1 for each hour after is the best guide, unfortunately most of us drink quicker after downing a couple so it's hard to adhere to.

And you lose 1 standard drink per hour off your reading per hour you haven't had a drink.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:38 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
tipper wrote:
Booney wrote:

Risk v Reward.[/qu

And you lose 1 standard drink per hour off your reading per hour you haven't had a drink.

I always thought it was:

You lose .01 per hour.
A standard drink is .02 though.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby tipper » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:34 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
I always thought it was:

You lose .01 per hour.

was told the average person metabolises .02 per hour in our recent drug and alcohol awareness training, but as always, it can vary on the individual.

i just try not to risk it nowadays either way. the Mrs stopped taking advantage of the times i offered to drive home (seriously, she has a designated driver and would only have 1 or two over the whole night....) so now the default is we share the driving 50/50. i drive there, she drives home. completely fair. :roll:
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:55 pm

tipper wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
I always thought it was:

You lose .01 per hour.

was told the average person metabolises .02 per hour in our recent drug and alcohol awareness training, but as always, it can vary on the individual.

i just try not to risk it nowadays either way. the Mrs stopped taking advantage of the times i offered to drive home (seriously, she has a designated driver and would only have 1 or two over the whole night....) so now the default is we share the driving 50/50. i drive there, she drives home. completely fair. :roll:

You saying I can now drink twice as much and drive home?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:03 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
tipper wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
I always thought it was:

You lose .01 per hour.

I go by the '2 in the first hour, 1 each hour thereafter' principal - up to 6. After that it's a no go.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby tipper » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:58 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
tipper wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
I always thought it was:

You lose .01 per hour.

sure, if you want to trust advice from some random on the internet :)
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:22 am

tipper wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
tipper wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
I always thought it was:

You lose .01 per hour.

sure, if you want to trust advice from some random on the internet :)

I’ll tell em’ Tipper and LM said so...........
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:25 am

amber_fluid wrote:
I’ll tell em’ Tipper and LM said so...........

As long as you don't tell them that you're amber fluid. :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:19 am

Currently knocking down some U Brew It "Palmers IPA", bitter start, bit hoppy finish, perfect winter beer.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:30 am

Booney wrote:Currently knocking down some U Brew It "Palmers IPA", bitter start, bit hoppy finish, perfect winter beer.

Pace yourself, it's only early.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:41 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Currently knocking down some U Brew It "Palmers IPA", bitter start, bit hoppy finish, perfect winter beer.

Pace yourself, it's only early.

Starting a bit early for the showdown even for a Power supporter!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Fancy sneaking homebrew in the lunchbox for work...
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:03 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Fancy sneaking homebrew in the lunchbox for work...

Fancy not.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion