ODI World Cup 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: ODI World Cup 2019

Postby RB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:49 am

The Bedge wrote:The squad looked brittle from the outset, the changes for the semi were bewildering.. we shouldn’t have expected anything different.

Take out Warner & Carey’s efforts over the round robin games and we prob would’ve lost more than we won.

Pick on merit, to suit conditions but not on name.. I would’ve loved to see a genuine swing bowler included like Neser or Worrall..

Neser wouldn't even get Handscomb out, though I agree with the sentiment.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 am

How Wade was never in the squad, is a mystery.
Finch batted himself out of the captaincy and side.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 am

whufc wrote:Finch choked big time.

Jesus, if getting a good one first ball is choking you're watching a different game to me.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:05 am

Booney wrote:

Jesus, if getting a good one first ball is choking you're watching a different game to me.

I think it’s more the fact that he has been dismissed dozens of times in the past in the same manner.
He should be sacked just for the review alone
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:06 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

I think it’s more the fact that he has been dismissed dozens of times in the past in the same manner.

Imagine an opener getting out LBW..... :lol:

Wasn't the review "Umpires call" and only just clipping the stumps?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:How Wade was never in the squad, is a mystery.

Yep. Langer can pick the squad he wants, but he's got to explain this one.
RB
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:35 am

Moving on.. so Australia have generally used the summer ODI series has a testing ground for players with a focus to the next WC.. looking over the squad from this one:

Finch - Gone. Too old, wont be there at the next cup, will be replaced.
Warner - Prob has one more WC in him. Stays.
Smith - Stays.
Handscomb - age is on his side and he is a fav, he will stay whether we like it or not.
Carey - Next captain IMO. Stays.
Stoinis - See Handscomb.
Maxwell - young enough for another WC but rarely in recent years has he been in favour. I suspect gone.
Cummins - stays.
Starc - Stays
Behrendorff - Stays
Lyon - Gone.
Shaun Marsh - Gone
Khawaja - Gone
Coulter-Nile - 50/50 but he's a favourite may keep him.
Richardson - Gone
Wade - Gone
Zampa - Stays
Jhye Richardson - Stays
Mitch March - Stays
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am

Just seen a stat on Twitter, the average amount of balls per dismissal for Australia for the 4th/5th/6th wickets in this WC was 23.26, so that's a tick under 4 overs per wicket in the middle stages of the innings. Last, and by a considerable margin too.
Jim05
Coach

Postby RB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:59 am

The Bedge wrote:Moving on.. so Australia have generally used the summer ODI series has a testing ground for players with a focus to the next WC.. looking over the squad from this one:

Finch - Gone. Too old, wont be there at the next cup, will be replaced.
Warner - Prob has one more WC in him. Stays.
Smith - Stays.
Handscomb - age is on his side and he is a fav, he will stay whether we like it or not.
Carey - Next captain IMO. Stays.
Stoinis - See Handscomb.
Maxwell - young enough for another WC but rarely in recent years has he been in favour. I suspect gone.
Cummins - stays.
Starc - Stays
Behrendorff - Stays
Lyon - Gone.
Shaun Marsh - Gone
Khawaja - Gone
Coulter-Nile - 50/50 but he's a favourite may keep him.
Richardson - Gone
Wade - Gone
Zampa - Stays
Jhye Richardson - Stays
Mitch March - Stays
I doubt Mitch Healy will still be around.

Erratic left arm pacemen don't tend to make it too far into their 30s.
Last edited by RB on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:01 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

No, it was hitting the stumps, which is why we lost our review. I'm less critical of his review than Jim05. The umpire did take a while to give it out and Finch may have thought he got some bat on ball, when his bat hit his pad. At the end of the day the lost review didn't cost Australia anything. On the other hand, Johnny Bairstow's review. Not only was it a worse review than Finch, it cost Englan Roy's wicket and it could have cost Roy a spot in the GF as he spat the dummy. So, Jim05 are you sacking everyone who does an unsuccessful review.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:06 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:[quote="whufc"]Finch choked big time.

No, it was hitting the stumps, which is why we lost our review. I'm less critical of his review than Jim05. The umpire did take a while to give it out and Finch may have thought he got some bat on ball, when his bat hit his pad. At the end of the day the lost review didn't cost Australia anything. On the other hand, Johnny Bairstow's review. Not only was it a worse review than Finch, it cost Englan Roy's wicket and it could have cost Roy a spot in the GF as he spat the dummy. So, Jim05 are you sacking everyone who does an unsuccessful review.[/quote]
I couldn’t care less what the Poms did I’m only worried by us and Finch’s review was selfish and not even Shane Watson would have reviewed it. Finch won’t be around for the next WC so put a line through him Maxwell, Stoinis and Handscomb for the Australian summer. Start getting games into Head, Pucovski etc in preparation for India 2023
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:09 am

Jim05 wrote:I couldn’t care less what the Poms did I’m only worried by us and Finch’s review was selfish and not even Shane Watson would have reviewed it. Finch won’t be around for the next WC so put a line through him Maxwell, Stoinis and Handscomb for the Australian summer. Start getting games into Head, Pucovski etc in preparation for India 2023

Reviewing your own dismissal is by definition selfish, every review is, it's about your wicket. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:20 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I couldn’t care less what the Poms did I’m only worried by us and Finch’s review was selfish and not even Shane Watson would have reviewed it. Finch won’t be around for the next WC so put a line through him Maxwell, Stoinis and Handscomb for the Australian summer. Start getting games into Head, Pucovski etc in preparation for India 2023

Reviewing your own dismissal is by definition selfish, every review is, it's about your wicket. :D

I’ve seen the non striker call for plenty if there is doubt. I would have loved to hear the conversation between Finch and Warner because you don’t get them much more plumb than that
Jim05
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:30 am

Booney wrote:

Nope but having a glaring issue that had supposedly been rectified return in the biggest game of the last four years is!

Pressure got to him and he slipped straight back into his old habit of not getting his hands out in front of his pad!

Definition of CHOKE in cricket!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:38 am

Jim05 wrote:Just seen a stat on Twitter, the average amount of balls per dismissal for Australia for the 4th/5th/6th wickets in this WC was 23.26, so that's a tick under 4 overs per wicket in the middle stages of the innings. Last, and by a considerable margin too.

I wouldn't read too much into that, purely because our top order has had a relatively successful campaign so them wickets would be late in the innings, I wouldn't mind seeing the comparative strike rate to go with.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:39 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

Nope but having a glaring issue that had supposedly been rectified return in the biggest game of the last four years is!

Pressure got to him and he slipped straight back into his old habit of not getting his hands out in front of his pad!

Yeah, I'm not sure you know what a choke, in sporting terms is or you've never opened an innings.

115 innings :

Mode of dismissal

Bowled 23 (20.4%)
Caught 55 (48.7%)
Caught Behind 11 (9.7%)
LBW 20 (17.7%)
Stumped 1 (0.9%)
Run Out 3 (2.7%)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby locky801 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:44 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

or his front foot outside of off stump
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:52 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure you know what a choke, in sporting terms is or you've never opened an innings.

115 innings :

Mode of dismissal

Bowled 23 (20.4%)
Caught 55 (48.7%)
Caught Behind 11 (9.7%)
LBW 20 (17.7%)
Stumped 1 (0.9%)
Run Out 3 (2.7%)

It wasn't just the mode it was the fact the LBW was the identical issue he had for over 2 years now. It wasn't like he copped an inswinger yorker and was hit on the toe, it was the blue print Finch dismissal that he had spent hours and hours on trying to rectify.

It undeniable that when the pressure was on he cracked, he forgot what he had to do which was get outside the line, get the hands in front of the pads. He cracked and fell straight back into his old habits.

BTW opened one or two innings in my life ;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:01 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

Well I'm giving all the credit to Archer. Perfect delivery. Finch was in great form in the lead up to the World cup and scored 507 runs in the tournament. Every bowler in world cricket knows Finch is an LBW candidate early in his innings, but until last night no other right arm quick has been able to get him out that way in this tournament. Well bowled Archer.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby locky801 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:03 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

Well I'm giving all the credit to Archer. Perfect delivery. Finch was in great form in the lead up to the World cup and scored 507 runs in the tournament. Every bowler in world cricket knows Finch is an LBW candidate early in his innings, but until last night no other right arm quick has been able to get him out that way in this tournament. Well bowled Archer.

in great form until his last 4 innings unfortunantly on 11 runs in his last 3 or 4 innings
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket