Umpiring - The diary of a local umpy.

Adelaide Footy League, Southern, Country Footy, VFL, WAFL, NTFL, etc.

Re: Umpiring - The diary of a local umpy.

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Great to see we have another "multi-disciplined" umpire on board. I do both goals & field too.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:01 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Hard game at the Gully on Saturday. From the first bounce I could see it was going to be a physical game as both sides came to play and had to make sure I was on my game.

Always tried to do my best to pay the first high tackle so game didn't get out of hand. Missed a couple but would say I got most of my decisions right thou some did not agree with them.

Gullies were first to the ball most of the day and played in front.

Good hard game in perfect conditions.

Goal umpired on Sunday in an U18 game that reached no great heights until the last quarter where Athelstone stormed home to win by 1pt after being 3 goals down at 3qtr time in a low scoring game.

Did you umpire with young Josh.
@FOURTH ESTATE
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Just been notified I'm off to do the Grand Final at Maningrida this weekend.

Where's Maningrida I hear you say? Well look at a map of the Northern Territory and smack bang in the middle of it, right on the Arafura sea is Maningrida.

Fly in fly out on a charter plane. this Saturday.

What will the game be like? Well I'm not sure but I am 100% sure there will be no:
1. Flooding
2. Tagging
3. Forward line Screens
4. Zones
5. painting of the fence (switching in the back lines to the open side)
6. GPS tracking
7. pre game hydration monitoring
8. Screw in boots
9. 90 min pre game report time
10. Champion data reps

I am 100% percent sure that the game will be F***ing quick, more turnovers than a bakery and that I wont keep up....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:53 pm

am Bays wrote:Just been notified I'm off to do the Grand Final at Maningrida this weekend.

Where's Maningrida I hear you say? Well look at a map of the Northern Territory and smack bang in the middle of it, right on the Arafura sea is Maningrida.

What will the game be like? Well I'm not sure but I am 100% sure there will be no:
1. Flooding
2. Tagging
3. Forward line Screens
4. Zones
6. GPS tracking
8. Screw in boots
10. Champion data reps

I am 100% percent sure that the game will be F***ing quick, more turnovers than a bakery and that I wont keep up....

Packing the flats?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:37 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Hard game at the Gully on Saturday. From the first bounce I could see it was going to be a physical game as both sides came to play and had to make sure I was on my game.

Always tried to do my best to pay the first high tackle so game didn't get out of hand. Missed a couple but would say I got most of my decisions right thou some did not agree with them.

Gullies were first to the ball most of the day and played in front.

Good hard game in perfect conditions.

Goal umpired on Sunday in an U18 game that reached no great heights until the last quarter where Athelstone stormed home to win by 1pt after being 3 goals down at 3qtr time in a low scoring game.

Did you umpire with young Josh.
@FOURTH ESTATE

No Matt Harris
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:43 pm

Having the next couple of weeks off from both disciplines, Old Man's disease caught up with me and pinged a hamstring in the middle of the 3rd qtr last week when running in to do a ball up. Played for 20+ years and never did one even on the those cold freezing nights at training before we had things like skins and thermals or what they wear now to training. Have twanged it twice in one year now lucky for me both only strains.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:54 am

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Having the next couple of weeks off from both disciplines, Old Man's disease caught up with me and pinged a hamstring in the middle of the 3rd qtr last week when running in to do a ball up. Played for 20+ years and never did one even on the those cold freezing nights at training before we had things like skins and thermals or what they wear now to training. Have twanged it twice in one year now lucky for me both only strains.

Mine goes annually, usually two weeks off and I'm good to go again, I get a rub down pre-game if I'm doing A grade games but also researched some excellent stretches to do pre-game that have helped significantly.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Corona Man wrote:
am Bays wrote:Just been notified I'm off to do the Grand Final at Maningrida this weekend.

1. Flooding
2. Tagging
3. Forward line Screens
4. Zones
6. GPS tracking
8. Screw in boots
10. Champion data reps

Packing the flats?

Yep, and not the good ones either, might be a bit dusty out there!

Found it is the Tigers vs the Hawks with a big Crowd expected with neighbouring communities driving in (3 hr drives away)

The local band will be doing the pre-game and in game entertainment, Elders v Juniors curtain raiser main kicks off at 2 pm.

Been told the players should be all good but the supporters might be interesting, especially the Hawks ones if it get close.

Basically each team come from one family/clan group so any disputes usually go back a few generations and the footy just kicks it off.

Going to be interesting this weekend basically umpiring at the very top of the Australian mainland (yeah I know Cape York)

In two weeks going to be running around in the Ballarat FL on the Sat am when I head down to Melb and Adel for a footy weekend: North v Hawks, Fri night, Melb v Rich Sat nite, then most importantly Bays v North at that sh!thole Prospect ;) :P @Punk Rooster on the Sunday....

Basically umpiring at the polar opposites of the footy conditions spectrum!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Are those games “dry”?

I went to the Tiwi Island Grand Final in the late 80’s, that was an eye opener. Got a few life lessons I will never forget
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby am Bays » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:26 pm

The communities are supposedly dry
am Bays
Coach

Postby am Bays » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:22 pm

Well that was an experience! Firstly I acknowledge the Maningrida elders past and present who allowed me onto their traditional country.

The game reminded me of the Bays v Sturt game of 2008 in terms of noise. Just a constant background of noise and cheering. When a goal was scored, a tackle was laid or a mark taken the crowd would go off.

To communicate with my other umpire basically had to yell handovers.

The players basically played hard but they were basically pretty fair. A least half a doen times players were lined up and the opposition when past them at pace but just missed them. A bit like a torpedo going across the bow of a boat. You thought "F*** if they hit it's on here", but basically they missed. When they did hit they actually slowed down a bit. So we onely paid about 4-5 down the grounds and one of those was kicked for a goal.

The oval made the bay look like Footy Park in size but I still did over 7.5 Km as the ball would go up and back at pace.

Got the cards out one for a bloke who thought he got hit off the ball and he got up his eyes said he "wanted to go" So he ran over to the opposition bench straight to the bloke he though was responsible and right cross and left hook was his opening salvo!

So out came the yellow for him and thee other bloke got one too!. Knowing I had to get out of this community in one piece I applied footy logic that the Innocent party wasn't that innocent and that it was a better than even chance he was the "instigator". Knowledge of aboriginal communities told me that I had to be seen as not favouring one team of the other so one one yellow card being given wouldn't have been the best look.....

3/4 time saw one of the more memorable experience of my footy career. There was an instantaneous "tribunal" basically the elders of the community marched both the boys over to clear the air (It was interesting that it was the "instigator being marched over first (his team knew what had happened). The elders basically told both boys to "pull their heads in" "no fighting" and "set the example to the kids" Job done now go back and play footy.

Woody the Chairman of the league spoke to us at 3/4 time and said "Good job, both had to go" basically reinforcing that things have to be done "fairly" if there are to be no dramas post game.

It was a game with never any more than 3 goals between the teams. Unfortunately I had the play at teh scoring end for most of the last qtr and with the favourites behind and coming home with a wet sail I was nervous about any potentially "wrong decisions"

The game ended up with a win to the underdog Hawks over the Tigers.

Qtr, half and 3/4 time they had the local band playing, Their style is a mix of ACDC. Aerosmith and Alice Cooper

Cars were all painted in the two teams colours. One banner is never enough, each team had two.

Next game I umpire in Ballarat (in two weeks time), is probably not going to be played in 32 deg heat, on a track rated as firm....

All in all a great day, looking forward to my next community GF if I get an opportunity.
am Bays
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Awesome experience AM!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:09 am

3 games this weekend.

Sat U/19's Goal Ump. Terrible game, on an awful ground between 2 poor teams. One way traffic so only had 2 busy quarters. The ground was that wet, there were and I do not lie, 4 ducks swimming in a pool of water in the forward pocket before the game!

Sun U13's game. Well, I have finally reported a player, my first here in Melb. Close game, plenty of overly excited parents at the game. Game decided by 1 goal, and very late in the game. Final siren goes, I am the non-officiating ump. A little bit of push & shove going on after the sire, this is U/13's remember. So I make my way down to the 2 offenders.... I think the other fieldy was picking up the ball. Anyway I'm say 15 metres off the players who had actually stopped the push & shove, when this little turd, runs in form 10 metres away and pushes his opponent, with some force to the high chest/throat area..... Game is finished, I can't pay & free, or yellow card him. Stuff it. I pull out the red & tell the kid I am reporting him for undue rough play & high frontal contact.

Edit:- Just learnt the kid has accepted the 1 week ban, as per my report.

After the game all hell break out, parents knocking on the door of the umpies room...... I opened the door, listened to them for 10 or 15 seconds, then simply, closed the door. Piss of ferals. To think, they won the game too....

Sun Div 2 womens. Diamond Creek too good for St. Mary's in a pretty poor game. 1 girl a standout, the rest dead set hacks!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:34 am

Umpiring 2 games today out at Merv Hughes oval Footersgray. Happy with that, as I get Sunday off. Few beers, bottle of red and a leg of lamb on the Weber. Gold.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:04 am

Two weeks ago dust, heat and culture at Maningrida

This week clouds, grass and cold at Sunbury in the Ballarat FL!

No difference!
am Bays
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:09 am

Cultural exchange?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 am

Oh and the flats have been left at home!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:38 am

After umpiring probably the toughest A Grade game I've ever umpired on the weekend I was kind of looking forward to an easy last minor round game to finish off the season with (as I'll withdraw my availability for the finals), yeah I got an easy A Grade game but they've chucked in an under 17 match too.
This will mean I'll have one game from 11:30 to 1 then another from 2:45 to 5, I was meant to take my daughter for a driving lesson too as she was going to drive me to the game, I just hope the calves and hammies don't seize up in between.
Looking forward to checking my bets when I finish though, I cleaned up last week only betting on the last at each meeting as there have been some crazy results.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Good for you LM. I pulled the pin on the season when I went away. This weekend is Women's prelims, and I am back in SA. Didn't figure I would get a GF game based on not umpiring for 3 weeks. Cue in the rack!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Corona Man wrote:Good for you LM. I pulled the pin on the season when I went away. This weekend is Women's prelims, and I am back in SA. Didn't figure I would get a GF game based on not umpiring for 3 weeks. Cue in the rack!

I'm sure my Friday night prep will help me through.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues