The Ashes 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2019

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:44 pm

Trader wrote:And given our girls only need to draw this match to retain the ashes, you'd think we'd be happy to bat and bat and bat. England are the ones who need the game moving forward, not us.

Another double hundred to Perry coming up.

The English opening bowler has a humdinger of a name "Anya Shrubsole".
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Trader wrote:And given our girls only need to draw this match to retain the ashes, you'd think we'd be happy to bat and bat and bat. England are the ones who need the game moving forward, not us.

Another double hundred to Perry coming up.

The English opening bowler has a humdinger of a name "Anya Shrubsole".

I think you can get a ointment for that.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1273 times
Been liked: 3459 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:42 pm

whufc wrote:Just looking at Khawaja's career. Average 42 but against the three better sides throughout his career he struggles

England averages 33
India average 28
South Africa averages 34

Averages 25 away from Australia.

Only averages 38 as a number 3 batsmen

For a number three, 42 is only just acceptable. For me he is a batsman who you can never rely on when the going gets tough. I know he has done so on the past but he needs to do it a lot more regularly. Talent only gets you so far. You need to be as good as Mark Waugh, Damien Martyn or Greg Chappell to get away with the laconic style and Usi is nowhere near that level.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:49 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
whufc wrote:Just looking at Khawaja's career. Average 42 but against the three better sides throughout his career he struggles

England averages 33
India average 28
South Africa averages 34

Averages 25 away from Australia.

Only averages 38 as a number 3 batsmen

For a number three, 42 is only just acceptable. For me he is a batsman who you can never rely on when the going gets tough. I know he has done so on the past but he needs to do it a lot more regularly. Talent only gets you so far. You need to be as good as Mark Waugh, Damien Martyn or Greg Chappell to get away with the laconic style and Usi is nowhere near that level.

regards,

REB

Didn’t Mark Waugh only average 42 as well?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:20 pm

I reckon Harris and Head deserve first crack, and can only benefit by batting with Smith. Harris did really well last summer given he had to open with Finch for a while. It is time for both, however, to convert those starts into scores, especially Head, or else Hookesy's words about his own 82/83 summer might be applicable here.
Starc will be in the side to start with for sure. If Root doesn't want to bat three and with their top order not setting the world on fire since Cook retired, Starc should be able to grab those couple wickets in the first five overs.
The selectors (and I) like Marnus' character, and I wouldn't be surprised if they fitted him in at 5 or 6 for a bit of steadiness.

My XI would be
Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Labuschagne
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Bancroft to come in at three if Khawaja injured, Patterson at 5 or 6 if Head or Marnus don't make the grade.
I don't see Carey being good enough to bat in the top six. Seven, as keeper, fine, if and when that time comes.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby RB » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:54 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Starc will be in the side to start with for sure. If Root doesn't want to bat three and with their top order not setting the world on fire since Cook retired, Starc should be able to grab those couple wickets in the first five overs.

Bloody hell, that's a big call. Not saying it won't happen, but even Dennis Lillee didn't pick up two wickets in the first five overs more often than not.

Also I'm not sure how you have Marnus ahead of Patterson (or Wade).
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:07 pm

I’m not a big Marnus fan but he is averaging 65 this county season

Are we all down playing his chances.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 pm

whufc wrote:I’m not a big Marnus fan but he is averaging 65 this county season

He's playing in the second division isn't he?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:49 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
whufc wrote:I’m not a big Marnus fan but he is averaging 65 this county season

He's playing in the second division isn't he?
Yes, Glamorgan are in Division 2. First batsman to score 1000 runs this County season, 1114 runs @ 65.52 with 5 centuries.
He recently scored centuries for in both innings against Worcestershire in Cardiff. He’s the first player to do so for Glamorgan since 2005.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10292 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Grenville » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:35 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:Smith cant can he.

Would be huge change of face from CA, highly doubt they would swallow their pride and do that.

A 600 run Ashes series that we lose in and what can you say? No one else is beating down the door for it and no one else is experienced enough to take the role, Paine only got it by default, he'd have to have been the most least experienced Australian test captain since David Gregory.

Hugh Massie?
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Grenville » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:40 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Fair enough. I think most people share your view on Smith, but I thought they had the opposite view of Warner and Bancroft. I thought the perception of Warner was that he had consistently crossed the line with his on field bullying tactics and was the instigator of the sandpaper plot, which was the final straw. First time I have seen someone refer to him having credits. Banfield had only just started his career and was obviously pretty naive and stupid to do what he did. I thought most people were far more forgiving of Bancroft. I'm happy to move on as all three have served their time and if they play good cricket and keep thir noses clean, I'm happy to support them.

Mate, like him or not, he has been outstanding with the bat and has answered every challenge along the way, he was pigeon-holed as a short game player, the way he went and worked on his longer game was exceptional integrity.

He is by far and away our best option to open the batting, you can throw a blanket over the rest of the contenders, whoever bats at 3 will practically be opening anyway.

I like your take on it though, so far Warner has just worried about his cricket and not the rest of the bullshit he has going on, we're a critical lot and no matter how much good you do, most only remember the shit, hopefully he regains the love from his countrymen and finishes his career how he started it.

I hope we win every Test after being 1/0.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:01 pm

RB wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Starc will be in the side to start with for sure. If Root doesn't want to bat three and with their top order not setting the world on fire since Cook retired, Starc should be able to grab those couple wickets in the first five overs.

Bloody hell, that's a big call. Not saying it won't happen, but even Dennis Lillee didn't pick up two wickets in the first five overs more often than not.

Also I'm not sure how you have Marnus ahead of Patterson (or Wade).

Well five overs is probably a bit keen, but England's top three hasn't been that great of late against lesser bowlers than ours, so Starc has a great opportunity to lead the bowlers and them one the back foot right from the start.

On Marnus, I feel they will look for perhaps more of an occupier in the middle order and I think he has shown he has been up for the fight against some reasonable attacks. Sri Lanka had a serviceable attack in the first test but I wouldn't put much stock in what happened in the Second, hence why i haven't got Burns in my team as much as I wish he had forged out a good test career.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby northerner » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:46 pm

Teams named for the intra trial starting Tuesday with Khawaja being rested due to hammie issues no doubt.
Seems as if Wade will bat 5... reckon he is the player with most to gain with a big effort this week. Hazelwood is the one with most pressure to perform to retain his spot.

My line up for First Test PRIOR to this trial:
Harris
Warner
Uzzie
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:54 pm

northerner wrote:Teams named for the intra trial starting Tuesday with Khawaja being rested due to hammie issues no doubt.
Seems as if Wade will bat 5... reckon he is the player with most to gain with a big effort this week. Hazelwood is the one with most pressure to perform to retain his spot.

My line up for First Test PRIOR to this trial:
Harris
Warner
Uzzie
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

Khawaja is going ok with his recovery from injury, has been running and batting in the nets but if all the batsman perform in the internal trail it might force him out of the potential first test eleven.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10292 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby batmanbegins » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Engalnd arent a great test team but we have been very hard to beat at home over the past few years. If the pitches have a bit in them anderson and co will be bloody hard to face. Our batting is a worry especially up top but i like the addition of roy just for the sheer fact we have someone up top that can take the game away from a team early and he is a very confident lad that wont back down.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Armchair expert » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:10 pm

I think Aus would spank Eng in any neutral country but have little chance in England.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1413 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby batmanbegins » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm

Armchair expert wrote:I think Aus would spank Eng in any neutral country but have little chance in England.

Very fair to say that. I do think you have a good chance to win this series though.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:04 pm

Can't stand it being called The Ashes.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:08 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:

The Gashes.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

The Gashes.

:lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket