Adelaide Crows 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2019

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:51 pm

mots02 wrote:So... a question... if the crows are as bad as everyone says (and i'm not disputing much of it).... how badly positioned are Freo? St Kilda? Hawthorn? Melbourne? etc

Melbourne trump everyone.

Hawthorn are the healthiest IMO, to maintain a stranglehold on the comp for so long you're bound to bottom out at some stage, if this is them bottoming out then hats off to them, it wont be long before they're up near the top again, providing Clarko stays on.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby helicopterking » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:55 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mots02 wrote:So... a question... if the crows are as bad as everyone says (and i'm not disputing much of it).... how badly positioned are Freo? St Kilda? Hawthorn? Melbourne? etc

Melbourne trump everyone.

Hawthorn are the healthiest IMO, to maintain a stranglehold on the comp for so long you're bound to bottom out at some stage, if this is them bottoming out then hats off to them, it wont be long before they're up near the top again, providing Clarko stays on.

Hawks were brutal tho. Don’t forget they Traded Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis.
Crows wouldn’t even consider being half that brutal.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:56 pm

mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:

They aren't in a "bad" position right now, but closer analysis of the list and you see there hasn't been any transition to the next generation.

Walker, Jenkins, Betts, Jacobs, Douglas, Mackay, Gibbs, Otten and Sloane are either 30 or will be 30 next year.

Greenwood, Seedsman, Keath, Smith, Hartigan, Talia are all 27 and Lynch is 28.

Will Goodings yesterday "Adelaide fans aren't worried about the next 4 weeks, we're worried about the next 5 years".

But then you look at Port

Ebert, R Gray, Boak, Rockliff and Westoff all 30 or 30 plus next year

Broadbent,, Motlop, Hartlett, Dixon, Watts and Jonas all 29 next year.

And people say they are a 'young list''.

Not saying the crows dont have issues but i reckon if you ran some numbers over most clubs they have holes in their list.

I think Port have the upper hand on the players highlighted in red, except for Sloane, he'd be up there with Gray and Boak.

The next tier you listed are all fringe players besides Hartlett who hasn't played a lot lately.

We have kids coming through, you don't, you don't give them enough consecutive runs, Stengle getting dropped after 1 game was stupid.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:56 pm

mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:

They aren't in a "bad" position right now, but closer analysis of the list and you see there hasn't been any transition to the next generation.

Walker, Jenkins, Betts, Jacobs, Douglas, Mackay, Gibbs, Otten and Sloane are either 30 or will be 30 next year.

Will Goodings yesterday "Adelaide fans aren't worried about the next 4 weeks, we're worried about the next 5 years".

Not saying the crows dont have issues but i reckon if you ran some numbers over most clubs they have holes in their list.

Difference is Butters, Duursma, Rozee, Garner, Farrell, Marshall, Drew, Atley, Ladhams, Powell-Pepper, Johnson, Houston, Bonner, Burton, Frampton, Howard, Byrne-Jones, Amon, Wines, Lienert and Clurey are all under 25 and, be them future 200 gamers or otherwise, have got AFL experience.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Betts could go to Gold Coast, Gold Coast are going to have Darwin as an academy area I believe so there is a good fit for him and plus would be a good promotional fit up there, he might even get another season or 2 up there away from the spotlight and warmer climate.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Booney wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Difference is Butters, Duursma, Rozee, Garner, Farrell, Marshall, Drew, Atley, Ladhams, Powell-Pepper, Johnson, Houston, Bonner, Burton, Frampton, Howard, Byrne-Jones, Amon, Wines, Lienert and Clurey are all under 25 and, be them future 200 gamers or otherwise, have got AFL experience.

Atkins, Crouch, Crouch, Davis, Doedee, Fogarty, Galluci, Himmelberg, Jones, Kelly, Knights, Milera, Murphy, Polhoke, Stengle, Wilson.

But they are all just lists... none of it guarantees success or otherwise.

I'm just hoping the crows start to play some kids, to give the fans some hope but also to use as a crutch if we end up even shitter than we are now so we can say ''but we're getting games into youngsters'' "'we'll come good' :)
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:11 pm

I honestly don't think Freo will be any good so long as Fraud Lyon is there.

St. Kilda, history tells us they are always pretty poor.

Melbourne, they are the mystery packet.... they have some decent young talent, but they've collectively gone missing in 2019. I don't believe anyone can "play above themselves" as they appear to have done in 2018.

Hawks - I went to a VFL game earlier this season, and to be honest, I thought the cupboard was bare, not a lot of talent there. That said Mitch Lewis is showing signs, as are a few other younger blokes. It's about re-generation. As Helikopter King pointed out a few posts back, Clarko has made some hard calls, to move on some club legends. As a supporter that hurts, watching Hodge in a Brisbane jumper etc. But its about the bigger picture, and the re-generation.

The question to ask yourselves, as a Crow, is.... will our coaching group make the same tough decisions? As an outsider looking in, the only blokes that leave the Crows, are those who want out....Davis, Gunston, Lever et al. I don't recall them moving on an "older" player to get a younger/similar type in a bring him through the system. Then there are the younger blokes you have - Murphy & that Italian bloke with the handle bar Mo..... they look solid, if not spectacular types..... But do you see them with a premiership medal around their necks?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3483 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby MW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Only one I can think of is trading Vince for the draft pick to get M Crouch
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2600 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pm

MW wrote:Only one I can think of is trading Vince for the draft pick to get M Crouch

Yep, I missed that, so there has been one!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 pm

Corona Man wrote:
MW wrote:Only one I can think of is trading Vince for the draft pick to get M Crouch

Chris Groom for Freo's pick? :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:17 pm

Corona Man wrote:

Didn’t he choose to leave for a longer term contract?
Is that being moved on?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2516 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:18 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Is that being moved on?

Or did he move so he didn't have to live with Tex any longer?
Corona Man
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:18 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Is that being moved on?

no he was traded to get the draft pick. initially didn't want to go but worked out well for both parties.
MW
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:Betts could go to Gold Coast, Gold Coast are going to have Darwin as an academy area I believe so there is a good fit for him and plus would be a good promotional fit up there, he might even get another season or 2 up there away from the spotlight and warmer climate.

Jee-sus!

Watch the Darwin kids now claim to be Tiwi mob (Essendon), East Arnhem mob (Hawks/Geelong), Tennant Mob (Collingwood) or ALice mob (Demons) just so they don't have to go to Gold Coast.

Easy done with family connections up here!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:05 pm

mots02 wrote:Atkins, Crouch, Crouch, Davis, Doedee, Fogarty, Galluci, Himmelberg, Jones, Kelly, Knights, Milera, Murphy, Polhoke, Stengle, Wilson.
But they are all just lists... none of it guarantees success or otherwise.

Agreed, but it's how the youth is transitioned in. Adelaide have a glut of older blokes in the forward half (who have performed at a high level for several years ) so key forwards like Himmelberg and Fogarty (the only two KPF waiting in the wings) haven't had a sustained run at it while Stengle is waiting for Betts to step aside.

Add to that the contracts that are in place ( Gibbs, Jenkins and Walker 2 years to run after this, Betts 1 ) means you're either playing them at AFL level, paying them $600k+ to play SANFL or money to stay at home. The first one hinders development, further, the second one is a waste of resources (cap space) and the third prevents you from offering bigger coin to prospective recruits or stars of the future you need to hold onto because you're paying someone to knit. ;)

It's not just age for Adelaide at the moment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:15 pm

Dutchy wrote:Why don't we ever hear from Burton? We used to hear from previous Crows Footy Managers regularly, has he been put on the bench cause he is a poor media performer?

He really hasn't been wheeled out since the Saturday afternoon Collective Minds presser, has he?

You'd have to think he'd be on the chopping block.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Rowe will not name anyone, Crows will tell him to pull his head in.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:22 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Rowe will not name anyone, Crows will tell him to pull his head in.

Well I was wrong, what's new.

Keith
Hartigan
Knight
Fogarty
Kelly
Jenkins
Mackay
Douglas
Jacobs
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby MW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:27 pm

7 turned into 9...
Only concerned with Keath and Fog.
MW
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Rowe will not name anyone, Crows will tell him to pull his head in.

Well I was wrong, what's new.

Keith
Hartigan
Knight
Fogarty
Kelly
Jenkins
Mackay
Douglas
Jacobs
So theres 9? This morning there was 7.
How good is it to watch it unfold!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL