Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:46 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
MW wrote:Someone lock the Port thread... page count is on point!

You're a desperate man, aren't you? :D

He’s spreading it over a number of threads... ;)

Going to make Carey's job hard at 1am tomorrow.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:48 pm

:lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5117 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Bedge » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:Why doesn't the club come out and say that then?

Also how come the ins/outs are being leaked early the last few weeks?

Few years ago Port were really good at being open and honest and upfront - and beating the media to announcements.. around the same time the Crows were trying to make excuses or be secretive and everyone ribbed them.

Now Port is like Adelaide were a couple of years ago.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3998 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:51 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Well spotted Wedgie! ;)

It's what the "W" stands for.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby MW » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:05 pm

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:

You're a desperate man, aren't you? :D

He’s spreading it over a number of threads... ;)

Going to make Carey's job hard at 1am tomorrow.

He'll get through half his 30 block of tins replying to them all
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2600 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:39 pm

Brodlach wrote:Rucci said

In Dixon and Marshall

Out Lycett dropped :shock: and Sutcliffe (if Rozee is ok)

Not quite correct

In Dixon, Marshall, Frampton

Out Lycett, Howard, Garner
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby LMA » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:33 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Rucci said

In Dixon and Marshall

Out Lycett dropped :shock: and Sutcliffe (if Rozee is ok)

Not quite correct

In Dixon, Marshall, Frampton

Out Lycett, Howard, Garner

Might as well bring back the fireman. He would still be a better tagger than Sutcliffe and still get more kicks, albeit off the shin.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:42 am

Righto Port fans, put your hand in the air if at any time on Saturday you swore and shook your head in amongst sentences such as “Where has this been” and “Why can’t we do this every week”. Thank you, all of you, you can put your hand back down. Is there any other club in the competition that has a ten goal win met with a wry grin and shake of the head other than Port Adelaide?

Last week I wrote our season off, whilst still on a knife edge and *gulp* in our own hands *gulp again* season 2019 on the back of 2 hours of blistering under the roof football is back on. I’m not sure I can take this and I’m not sure I can drink anymore to deal with it. Ok, I probably can. I’ll have too.

What we can put the first quarter lead down to is class. Robbie Gray, all class. His first goal, from 45m out on a worse than 45° angle isn’t his preferred position to kick from but in reality it was never missing. Moments later he’s dishing a handball to Sutcliffe and he must have left some polish on the ball as Sutcliffe slotted a gem from tight on the boundary and when Robbie kicked his second from the quarter from a tight angle we’re well on top. Add majors to Butters and Marshall and Port have the ascendancy on the back of 60% disposal efficiency inside F50, remember last week it was 0%?

In the second quarter Port’s big men took control, Ryder and Ladhams got right on top of Clarke and because of that dominance Port take the 16 point quarter time lead into half time. Gray gets his third in the quarter, Rozee snaps truly and Dan Houston nails one from on 50 to add some scoreboard stats to his already impressive after noon. Speaking of impressive afternoons it’s around this point that we see Darcy Byrne-Jones take control of the half back line for Port and his one-on-one dual with McDonald-Tipungwuti is as one sided as Jared Polec.

After half time Port lift a notch and play some of the best footy we have for a month on the back of 10 of the last 11 clearances, the big men are giving the likes of Houston, Rockliff, Boak (well held until half time) and Powell-Pepper first look in the middle, Ladhams not just giving first look but often the first touch to a mid in space. 2 minutes into the first quarter and Xavier Duursma is the recipient of an errant kick from defence that goes out on the full. He never really looked inside, he went back, loaded up the banana and slotted it. There’s plenty of arrows in this kids quiver and one is now in the top deck at Marvel. Another of Port’s young guns then steps up, Rozee roves one off the pack like very few can, timing, positioning and finishes with a major, he really is class, it’s one of two for the quarter and Marshall, the much improved Amon and Sam Gray all chime in and it’s pretty much all over at ¾ time with a 35 point lead.

I’d like to take a moment to discuss our best on the weekend here as the last quarter was another procession with Port kicking 5 goals to 1.

Houston, moved from half back into the midfield this year has been exceptional. He was our preferred distributor across half back last year in the absence of Broadbent and Hartlett, he’s moved into the middle and his decision making and ball use is elite.
Byrne-Jones, mentioned in some dispatches (not this one) as being on the edge of the selection table earlier this year (I seriously don’t know why) continued his excellent 2019, I’ll say here and now he’s in our top 5 in the BnF come season end.
Rozee, with 2 goals, 5 marks, 5 I50’s and 5 score involvements is one of the most pure talents to come into a Port Adelaide guernsey in recent memory.
Duursma, by contrast, has the ability but his star power is on the back of his work ethic, he’s an unbelievably hard worker in both directions and has every attribute to be an A grader.
Ladhams, in the AFL side on the back of SANFL form comes in and looks at home (albeit against questionable opposition) with 18 disposals (at 66%), 22 hitouts, 7 clearances and a goal assist. Marshall bags 3 majors and has a hand in two more in his first game for 10 weeks or so and looks like this is where he belongs.
Powell-Pepper, in and out of games and in and out of the side recently leaves nothing on the field, he might not be the most polished, he might not be the most skilled, but he gives everything to the cause every week while Karl Amon, much maligned in recent seasons, is putting together a body of work that should see him offered a longer term deal on money better than he probably ever imagined.

The oldest player I’ve mentioned in this group is Amon at the ripe old age of 23. We can’t think anything but the future looks bright at Alberton, but we’re about the here and now and right here, right now season 2019 has some life left in it, only things is our destinty is *gulp* in our own hands.

Boon's best – DBJ, Houston, R.Gray, Duursma, Rockliff, Powell-Pepper, Rozee.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:48 am

Booney:

Does Dixon not play again this year? (Get him right for next year , seems to be off the pace)

If he does, does Lycett play?

If so who misses out?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 am

Does Dixon not play again this year? (Get him right for next year , seems to be off the pace)

Had no meaningful possessions, but I'm sure the powers that be will argue him taking 3 up into a contest allows Rozee to rove and kick two goals, allows Gray room to move and isolate 1-on-1 as the loose defender goes to the aerial contest with Dixon and with 19 goals on the weekend, you would suggest the forward line was/is more dangerous with him in it.

I don't see Lycett, Ladhams, Ryder, Dixon and Marshall all in the side midfield and forward of the ball. Looks like Lycett is all of a sudden our third ruckman! Granted the conditions under the roof suited the more agile Ladhams and Ryder, plus Essendon don't really have much by way of ruck stocks.

If so who misses out?

If Lycett plays I think the only one who can miss out is Ladhams. Lycett can't play forward for more than a rest, Ryder seems as though he prefers the middle of the ground and the freedom to roam, Ladhams could potentially play as a key forward but I think they'll prefer Dixon's frame as mentioned above taking the hits and getting the ball to ground.

My preference would be Dixon and Marshall forward, Ryder the third and Lycett doing the bulk of the ruck work. Hard for him to get back in the side given Ladhams form on the weekend and Lycett didn't have a game to impress selectors.

More so at the end of the year who goes? Lycett has a 5 year deal so he's going nowhere, Howard has 3 years to go, Marshall has one to go and so does Dixon. Ryder, Ladhams and Frampton are all out of contract. Right now I'd be letting Ryder go and making Lycett, Dixon, Ladhams and Frampton fight for 3 spots in the AFL side.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 am

DOC wrote:Booney:

If so who misses out?

My preference is Lycett in for Ryder even though Paddy played well on the weekend. Dixon will take a couple of defenders with him & doesn't really need to imapct the game at the moment IF Ken plays the 3 talls forward. Having that third tall on Saturday made it so much easier inside 50. Without looking at the stats, i doubt Essendon had many intercept marks & if we weren't taking marks inside 50 they were coming to ground much easier for the likes of the Gray's & Rozee to clean up
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:01 am

Booney wrote:Does Dixon not play again this year? (Get him right for next year , seems to be off the pace)

Had no meaningful possessions, but I'm sure the powers that be will argue him taking 3 up into a contest allows Rozee to rove and kick two goals, allows Gray room to move and isolate 1-on-1 as the loose defender goes to the aerial contest with Dixon and with 19 goals on the weekend, you would suggest the forward line was/is more dangerous with him in it.

I don't see Lycett, Ladhams, Ryder, Dixon and Marshall all in the side midfield and forward of the ball. Looks like Lycett is all of a sudden our third ruckman! Granted the conditions under the roof suited the more agile Ladhams and Ryder, plus Essendon don't really have much by way of ruck stocks.

If so who misses out?

If Lycett plays I think the only one who can miss out is Ladhams. Lycett can't play forward for more than a rest, Ryder seems as though he prefers the middle of the ground and the freedom to roam, Ladhams could potentially play as a key forward but I think they'll prefer Dixon's frame as mentioned above taking the hits and getting the ball to ground.

My preference would be Dixon and Marshall forward, Ryder the third and Lycett doing the bulk of the ruck work. Hard for him to get back in the side given Ladhams form on the weekend and Lycett didn't have a game to impress selectors.

More so at the end of the year who goes? Lycett has a 5 year deal so he's going nowhere, Howard has 3 years to go, Marshall has one to go and so does Dixon. Ryder, Ladhams and Frampton are all out of contract. Right now I'd be letting Ryder go and making Lycett, Dixon, Ladhams and Frampton fight for 3 spots in the AFL side.

We are keen on Frampton and I’d imagine with our dire ruck stocks we would be looking at a young ruckman for the right price. Ladhams would be a great fit but Port should do everything to keep him. Wonder if Hayes would be looked at or we look at a veteran ala Jacobs
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:06 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:Does Dixon not play again this year? (Get him right for next year , seems to be off the pace)

If so who misses out?

We are keen on Frampton and I’d imagine with our dire ruck stocks we would be looking at a young ruckman for the right price. Ladhams would be a great fit but Port should do everything to keep him. Wonder if Hayes would be looked at or we look at a veteran ala Jacobs

I rate Hayes better than Ladhams. I think the kid can really play. Since his return from his ACL, he has predominately played forward for the Maggies. I see Marshall being groomed into a Westhoff to roam around the ground (unsure if he has the tank for that though), Frampton becoming our next key forward alongside Dixon with Ladhams & Hayes fighting it out for that 2nd Ruck/Forward spot behind Lycett
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:08 am

I must say it is a lot better to be at work on a Monday morning happy & looking forward to the weekend's footy! Forgot what it felt like! No doubt we will **** everything up this weekend and will be back to being miserable next Monday
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:14 am

bertiebeatle wrote:
I rate Hayes better than Ladhams. I think the kid can really play. Since his return from his ACL, he has predominately played forward for the Maggies. I see Marshall being groomed into a Westhoff to roam around the ground (unsure if he has the tank for that though), Frampton becoming our next key forward alongside Dixon with Ladhams & Hayes fighting it out for that 2nd Ruck/Forward spot behind Lycett

Lycett - The big body, proven performer, long term deal, should be our #1.

Dixon - 1 year to go on a deal, will be 30 at the end of next year. Interesting discussion point come that time.

Ryder - Will turn 32 at the start of next year, has been in and out with injury and form since his AA year in 2017. Probably the one we let go.

Ladhams - The bloke who will make Lycett earn the #1 spot, predominantly a ruckman but can play forward.

Frampton - Has been groomed as the next key forward behind Dixon and needs to be retained, we've put too much work into him to let him go.

Hayes - 3 years from having the body to play AFL football, but I agree, looks supremely talented.

Lycett, Ladhams rucking, Dixon, Marshall forward, Frampton the back up for all 4 with Hayes there in case of emergency.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 am

Most importantly can Kenny coach again or was it a fluke ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:30 am

Jim05 wrote:Most importantly can Kenny coach again or was it a fluke ;)

I'll have ding dongs all week ahead with mates on here and off, so many of our systems work, defensively we've been good for 4 years, midfield clearances we rarely get beaten in or we match it with the opposition, Inside 50 count we rarely get beaten in and if so we rarely have less than 50, enough to kick a winning score, much of what the coaches do works. I'm questioning the playing group, their motivation, their ability to get themselves "up" as much as I'm questioning Hinkley.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:58 am

If so who misses out?

Love the weekly write up Booney, funny and informative as usual!

I know Dixon had only 5 possessions, but I hope they play him for rest of year. If he played against GWS, Port win. They dominated the last quarter but had nobody to kick it to, and the likes of Gray and Rozee, etc crumbing off Charlie would have resulted in at least one goal to win the match.

He is coming off a serious injury with no pre season, I cant think of one player in recent history who has had a good season when this happens. I am sure with everything going well over summer he will have a much improved 2020.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:22 pm

If Dixon doesn't get his eyes fixed he will continue to be a what if
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:22 pm

Just saw a replay of the bow and arrow from Duursma(again).
I like a goal celebration but he just looks stupid.
Needs to put it away and work on it first.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2516 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL