Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby MW » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:33 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Just saw a replay of the bow and arrow from Duursma(again).
I like a goal celebration but he just looks stupid.
Needs to put it away and work on it first.

At the end of the day why are people so offended by personalities in sport?

Do we need to go back to the early 80's cricket where you shake hands with Alan Border or Greg Chappell when you get a wicket type of thing?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:37 pm

MW wrote:

At the end of the day why are people so offended by personalities in sport?

Do we need to go back to the early 80's cricket where you shake hands with Alan Border or Greg Chappell when you get a wicket type of thing?

Goal celebrations are great when done right.
Young fella needs to work on his delivery though first.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby MW » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Who decides what's right and wrong?
This is how retarded football has got these days...watching Tex kick an important goal in the 3rd term he double fist pumped and did a jumping high 5 to his teammate. My first thought was "I wonder how that celebration will be received around the media/fans/trolls" rather than think "what a brilliant goal!".
That is f..ked isn't it...
MW
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:45 pm

You'll like this tribute from Blakey.

https://www.facebook.com/1395FIVEaa/vid ... 468908657/
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

You'll like this tribute from Blakey.

https://www.facebook.com/1395FIVEaa/vid ... 468908657/

:lol:
Not bad!

Had the link for Wanga’s comeback at Moonta under it which was a good watch as well.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:21 pm

MW wrote:Who decides what's right and wrong?
This is how retarded football has got these days...watching Tex kick an important goal in the 3rd term he double fist pumped and did a jumping high 5 to his teammate. My first thought was "I wonder how that celebration will be received around the media/fans/trolls" rather than think "what a brilliant goal!".

The discussion around his celebration in the Richmond game was when he should, or shouldn't for that matter, do it. :lol:

Does it really matter? Let the kid be himself.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:Who decides what's right and wrong?

The discussion around his celebration in the Richmond game was when he should, or shouldn't for that matter, do it. :lol:

Does it really matter? Let the kid be himself.

I think it does matter and can be seen as reflection on his personal attitude or what he considers important.

Imo a bloke massively celebrating a goal whilst the team is comfortably losing screams an attitude of caring about his personal performance/attention over the teams performance. Whilst caring about personal importance is part of being a great team player I think there is a line where it crosses over and feels and looks like it’s more important than what the team are doing.

If it was soccer and my team were 3-0 down in the second half, we a score a goal and the bloke goes screaming down to the corner flag celebrating madly rather than picking the ball out the net and getting on with a game I would be spewing

Same is in a test match a team needs less than ten runs with 6 wickets in hand, takes a wicket and starts pulling out the aeroplane celebration past the keeper at the other end

I love a good celebration, there should be more of it in the AFL but absolutely there is a time and place.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:50 pm

@booney

Would you like to see him pull out the celebration if there 9 goals in the last quarter of a grand final?
whufc
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:55 pm

He wouldnt do it then
MW
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:06 pm

MW wrote:He wouldnt do it then

He did it the other week when they were clearly losing.

If he can continue to back it up, I guess it doesn’t really matter.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:24 pm

MW wrote:He wouldnt do it then

Wouldn’t he?

The score line hasn’t seemed to matter in other games, personally I think the bigger the occasion the more likely he is!
whufc
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:42 pm

The one against Richmond was getting the margin back to 3 goals and was the 2nd goal within minutes to give us some momentum.
Of course he was going to celebrate and try and get some energy into the group.
Tell me the difference between his celebration and someone first pumping and yelling cmon after that?
How come no one has bagged Zak Butters for his goal and celebration against Brisbane when we were 5 goals down?
People wonder why mental health issues exist. The minority of people that didn’t like it the other week quickly got called out on social media & put in their place
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:The one against Richmond was getting the margin back to 3 goals and was the 2nd goal within minutes to give us some momentum.
Tell me the difference between his celebration and someone first pumping and yelling cmon after that?
How come no one has bagged Zak Butters for his goal and celebration against Brisbane when we were 5 goals down?
People wonder why mental health issues exist. The minority of people that didn’t like it the other week quickly got called out on social media & put in their place

Put in their place?
You don’t have to like it and I’m sure some people don’t.
Some do, some don’t!

Good on him for showing some emotion, he still looks like a goose though IMO

I never saw the Butters one?
Bow and arrow?
Or something else?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:05 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:The one against Richmond was getting the margin back to 3 goals and was the 2nd goal within minutes to give us some momentum.

Put in their place?
Some do, some don’t!

Bow and arrow?
Or something else?

You don’t have to like it, nothing wrong with not liking it but don’t crucify him for doing nothing wrong...
Butters did a double handed fist pump type celebration to the crowd. Don’t think butters did anything wrong but people seem to go after the blokes that do something different to the norm.
My point is people target X for his celebration because it is different and people don’t like change or difference.
Game was on the line when he did it, not 10 goals down
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:17 pm

bertiebeatle wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Put in their place?
Some do, some don’t!

Bow and arrow?
Or something else?

You don’t have to like it, nothing wrong with not liking it but don’t crucify him for doing nothing wrong...
Butters did a double handed fist pump type celebration to the crowd. Don’t think butters did anything wrong but people seem to go after the blokes that do something different to the norm.
My point is people target X for his celebration because it is different and people don’t like change or difference.
Game was on the line when he did it, not 10 goals down

I don’t find it different, I’ve grown up primarily with the round ball game where it’s almost a competition in itself, but time and place
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:19 pm

Booney wrote:Does Dixon not play again this year? (Get him right for next year , seems to be off the pace)

Had no meaningful possessions, but I'm sure the powers that be will argue him taking 3 up into a contest allows Rozee to rove and kick two goals, allows Gray room to move and isolate 1-on-1 as the loose defender goes to the aerial contest with Dixon and with 19 goals on the weekend, you would suggest the forward line was/is more dangerous with him in it.

If he does, does Lycett play?

I don't see Lycett, Ladhams, Ryder, Dixon and Marshall all in the side midfield and forward of the ball. Looks like Lycett is all of a sudden our third ruckman! Granted the conditions under the roof suited the more agile Ladhams and Ryder, plus Essendon don't really have much by way of ruck stocks.

If so who misses out?

If Lycett plays I think the only one who can miss out is Ladhams. Lycett can't play forward for more than a rest, Ryder seems as though he prefers the middle of the ground and the freedom to roam, Ladhams could potentially play as a key forward but I think they'll prefer Dixon's frame as mentioned above taking the hits and getting the ball to ground.

My preference would be Dixon and Marshall forward, Ryder the third and Lycett doing the bulk of the ruck work. Hard for him to get back in the side given Ladhams form on the weekend and Lycett didn't have a game to impress selectors.

More so at the end of the year who goes? Lycett has a 5 year deal so he's going nowhere, Howard has 3 years to go, Marshall has one to go and so does Dixon. Ryder, Ladhams and Frampton are all out of contract. Right now I'd be letting Ryder go and making Lycett, Dixon, Ladhams and Frampton fight for 3 spots in the AFL side.

I really think Lycett was just rested but they didn't want to say that given that Essendon don't have a ruckman and they didn't want to be seen as disrespecting the opposition like the Crows did with Keath the week before. It would also give Ladhams a confidence boost to think he was being selected in front of Lycett
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby DOC » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:25 pm

C7 reporting that Port must play finals this year before Hinkleys contract to 2021 is fixed.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby stan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 pm

I can't wait until I see players shake hands after a goal is score. Just taking it one week at a time etc etc.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 pm

stan wrote:I can't wait until I see players shake hands after a goal is score. Just taking it one week at a time etc etc.

Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby marbles » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:30 am

Lycett won the showdown for yas

I think theyre giving ryder a chance to step up or theyll trade him

Lycett will be around for next 5 years, they putting a bit of fire in his belly one step back 2 steps forward and he will take port to the finals,
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL