Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Dutchy wrote:The u17.5 comp this year is an absolute cracker.

1 Happy Valley 20 70.97%
2 Christies Beach 20 67.01%
3 Flagstaff Hill 18 62.81%
4 Noarlunga 16 63.33%
5 Cove 16 58.79%
------------------------------------------------
6 Reynella 16 57.20%

Reynella with an 8-5 record would miss the finals if season stopped now :shock:

Every finals game is going to be real tight.

Correct and C/Beach have the bye this week and Cove play Noarlunga .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:02 pm

is it true Noarlunga have never won a junior flag?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby south4life » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:20 pm

Thumbs Up wrote:Just to get some opinions from around the place about quality teams around the state. I believe the Noarlunga Football Club's A Grade team would be the best club team outside of the SANFL. If not it would be very close. Nick Mott would be with no doubt the best footballer outside of the SANFL hands down.
Now that is just my opinion but i would love to hear others points of view.
Handorf? Prince Alfred OC? Mt Compass? Tanunda?

I watched Noarlunga on the weekend, they are one of the best non SANFL sides I've seen. Obviously Flaggies were very good in years previous, I'm relatively new to the SFL. Which team was regarded as the greatest in SFL history? Where does 2019 Noarlunga rank?
south4life
Mini-League

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby Thumbs Up » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:43 am

south4life wrote:
Thumbs Up wrote:Just to get some opinions from around the place about quality teams around the state. I believe the Noarlunga Football Club's A Grade team would be the best club team outside of the SANFL. If not it would be very close. Nick Mott would be with no doubt the best footballer outside of the SANFL hands down.

I watched Noarlunga on the weekend, they are one of the best non SANFL sides I've seen. Obviously Flaggies were very good in years previous, I'm relatively new to the SFL. Which team was regarded as the greatest in SFL history? Where does 2019 Noarlunga rank?

It has to come down to the undefeated Premiership teams. Im only aware of the Morpett Vale team in recent years that has done that. Their maybe others. If the Shoes win it this year which i think they will and win it well i believe they will be the best team the SFL has seen.
Thumbs Up
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:25 am

Dutchy wrote:is it true Noarlunga have never won a junior flag?

Correct 122 years and still waiting , the core group of lads that are playing A grade now went very close but F/Hill knocked us over in an upset then last year Cove go over us .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:52 am

shoe boy wrote:

Correct 122 years and still waiting , the core group of lads that are playing A grade now went very close but F/Hill knocked us over in an upset then last year Cove go over us .

Thats hard to believe, should have won last year no doubt.

Sat Finals venues have been uploaded to Sporting Pulse.

Week 1 Aldinga / Porties
Week 2 Porties / Christies
Week 3 Noarlunga
GF - Flinders Uni Stadium
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby jet-airport » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Week 1 Aldinga / Porties
Week 3 Noarlunga

Why do you say that Dutchy? Over the year with results over 16 quarters 4 games think there is less than 12 points difference between Cove and Shoes. They were head and shoulders above other sides in 2018. 2019 though looks pretty even with top 6 able to beat anyone on their day.
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:48 pm

Being 20 points up at 3/4 of a GF, most would say they should have won.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:29 pm

south4life wrote:

1971 Christies Beach - undefeated and I believe still hold the record for largest score in a GF
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
south4life wrote:

1971 Christies Beach - undefeated and I believe still hold the record for largest score in a GF

Plympton 87, 88 and 89... Some incredible footballers in those sides...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby pantherman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:32 am

Shoes 2001 for me.

Jones, Charlton, Sincocks, Nylands, Hockley, Widdison, A young Schutz, Finlay (who finished on the bench from memory) That firey bloke with the ponytail whatever his name was, Mal Lee, Jarrod Luke and plenty others. Cant recall if Pilmore was still playing then or not?

I suspect they challenge almost anyone
pantherman

Been liked: 7 times

Postby MatteeG » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:15 pm

pantherman wrote:Shoes 2001 for me.

Jones, Charlton, Sincocks, Nylands, Hockley, Widdison, A young Schutz, Finlay (who finished on the bench from memory) That firey bloke with the ponytail whatever his name was, Mal Lee, Jarrod Luke and plenty others. Cant recall if Pilmore was still playing then or not?

That was a great side. Tassone the bloke you are talking about with the ponytail? Was Langer part of that side too?

Shoeboy should be able to recite the team.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby TheAce » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:25 pm

Serious Noarlunga and Aldinga for finals venues no good for capacity, how about Morphett Vale and then GF at SAFC useless get the GF back to Port Noarlunga.

Flagstaff Hill 2019 premiers
TheAce
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Aldinga

Postby LovesHisFooty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Jon Dabrow, Marty Clifton, Craig Bosley (I think), Comer (I think)
LovesHisFooty
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:35 pm

LovesHisFooty wrote:

Can’t forget the big Hibberder @ Full Forward!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby fathersonsfl » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:38 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
LovesHisFooty wrote:

Can’t forget the big Hibberder @ Full Forward!

Some quality names in that lot!! :D Only Mick Sincock played (Greg played Bs), Bosley won the B Grade medal, Hibberd kicked 95 goals and a young Peach played. Pilmore was actually coaching Reynella that year who Noarlunga beat in the Grand Final..... :D
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:10 pm

Every Premiership side is a great team but let's not forget that most of that 2001 Shoes team lost GFs to Marion in 2000 and Brighton in 2002 so I'm not sure if Noarlunga 2001 come out of the pack as one of the greatest. They also made the GF in 2003 but the side had changed a bit by then and they did bloody well to make the GF that year after a big upset in beating MV in the Prelim. MV played in 6 consecutive GF's from 2004 to 2009, winning 5 and the loss to Cove in 2008 was a bit of an upset even though Cove won handsomely. MV was almost untouchable for that period and the 2007 edition was undefeated so it would be hard to go past any of those MV teams as the greatest at least during Brighton's period in the SFL.

Outside of the MV dynasty, the HV team of 2012 is very hard to go past. I won't try and compare either of the Brighton 2002 and 2011 premiership teams against other clubs but in my opinion the 2011 team was stronger than the 2002 team. Both only lost 1 game all season but our 2011 team had more blokes at the peak of their playing careers.

The problem with assessing how great a Premiership team is that we tend to look at the teams after most or all players are no longer playing and judge the team on each players whole career rather than how good they were at that particular time. The Crows 1997 team looks a lot better on paper now than it did at the time. People see Goodwin, Johnson and Edwards in that team and class them as A graders but those guys were still establishing themselves and a long way off their peak.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:28 pm

Morphett Vale were outstanding and are the pick of the bunch for me. The Happy Valley sides in the 90’s were exceptional also considering the strength the SFL in those days when it was easily the 2nd best comp in the State behind Div 1 ammos.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby shoe boy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:33 am

What is going on with the SFL facebook page ?

No change since the country champs ,no results for weeks , under 8 carnival this week , no info !
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby One-percenters » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:23 am

jet-airport wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Week 1 Aldinga / Porties
Week 3 Noarlunga

Why do you say that Dutchy? Over the year with results over 16 quarters 4 games think there is less than 12 points difference between Cove and Shoes. They were head and shoulders above other sides in 2018. 2019 though looks pretty even with top 6 able to beat anyone on their day.

If I remember rightly Cove missed some easy shots in the third and had a fair bit of momentum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One-percenters
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL