4%
Smithfield
15%
Trinity OS
1%

Total votes : 72

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 5 - 2019

Postby beef » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:29 am

coman wrote:My first post since all of the pre-season hype surrounding Smithfield.

We are absolutely disappointed about not playing finals as we expected to with the list that we have, we did challenge the top sides at times but we clearly underestimated the fitness level required to be a contender in div 5 as we seemed to get ran over towards the end.

So it's back to the drawing board for us, we'll keep striving for success, we have been lucky to have the presence of Steve O'Connor around the club for the past 6 weeks, we are hoping that Occa plans to stick around as he'll be very helpful in our plans to move the club forward.

In saying that, Alan Jones has done a tremendous job as senior coach and will be sticking around next season, he is very well respected amongst the playing group and supporters, he is also the CEO of Raw Recruitment and has employed over 30 players and supporters of the club which is very helpful for our football community.

Another positive is a 15 year old debutant on the weekend who managed 2.2, he is Adam Varcoe's step-son and nephew of Mick Ashby so he has some great football brains around him, he also represents SA in basketball so either way he has a very bright future.

My view on the race to the premiership is that Pulteney will get up, Kenilworth have the standout list and any of the other 3 finalists could get the job done on any given day, it's going to be a very interesting last round to decide 4th and 5th and who has the home final.

In the ressie's I think Salisbury are the clear favourites but Lockleys would be my smokey.

His actual dad Ben Catford was a fair player as well.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Pag » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 am

beef wrote:
coman wrote:My first post since all of the pre-season hype surrounding Smithfield.

We are absolutely disappointed about not playing finals as we expected to with the list that we have, we did challenge the top sides at times but we clearly underestimated the fitness level required to be a contender in div 5 as we seemed to get ran over towards the end.

So it's back to the drawing board for us, we'll keep striving for success, we have been lucky to have the presence of Steve O'Connor around the club for the past 6 weeks, we are hoping that Occa plans to stick around as he'll be very helpful in our plans to move the club forward.

In saying that, Alan Jones has done a tremendous job as senior coach and will be sticking around next season, he is very well respected amongst the playing group and supporters, he is also the CEO of Raw Recruitment and has employed over 30 players and supporters of the club which is very helpful for our football community.

Another positive is a 15 year old debutant on the weekend who managed 2.2, he is Adam Varcoe's step-son and nephew of Mick Ashby so he has some great football brains around him, he also represents SA in basketball so either way he has a very bright future.

My view on the race to the premiership is that Pulteney will get up, Kenilworth have the standout list and any of the other 3 finalists could get the job done on any given day, it's going to be a very interesting last round to decide 4th and 5th and who has the home final.

In the ressie's I think Salisbury are the clear favourites but Lockleys would be my smokey.

I did think it was Benny's lad when I saw the name. Will be a gun.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Spangas » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 am

beef wrote:
coman wrote: Another positive is a 15 year old debutant on the weekend who managed 2.2, he is Adam Varcoe's step-son and nephew of Mick Ashby so he has some great football brains around him, he also represents SA in basketball so either way he has a very bright future.

Same Ben Catford who played for Salisbury? If so, very handy footballer and better bloke.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Pag » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 am

Spangas wrote:
beef wrote:
coman wrote: Another positive is a 15 year old debutant on the weekend who managed 2.2, he is Adam Varcoe's step-son and nephew of Mick Ashby so he has some great football brains around him, he also represents SA in basketball so either way he has a very bright future.

Same Ben Catford who played for Salisbury? If so, very handy footballer and better bloke.

That's him. Spent a fair bit of time at Balak too.
Pag
Coach

Postby Spangas » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:46 am

Pag wrote:
Spangas wrote:
beef wrote:

That's him. Spent a fair bit of time at Balak too.

Cheers. Yeah, that's where we played together.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 am

Pag wrote:That's him. Spent a fair bit of time at Balak too.

Small world, he works in our factory.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:06 am

coman wrote:we have been lucky to have the presence of Steve O'Connor around the club for the past 6 weeks, we are hoping that Occa plans to stick around as he'll be very helpful in our plans to move the club forward.

So if Occa is around next year, guess we can expect an influx of another 20 players to Smithies.. :lol: ;)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:33 pm

beef wrote:

Benny was a gun, just probably wasn’t intense enough about his football just like his off field personality.

Great human as well!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:40 pm

I think the biggest respect and change to Smithfield has been the player behaviour despite not dominating the league.

It’s easy to stay out of trouble and away from suspensions when your playing in back to back grand finals. The last 3-4 years though has seen Smithfield sitting mid table and even relegated yet player behaviour has stayed really good

That’s total culture change right there! People at the club have put a lot of hard yards in and got the rewards.

Very well played!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby giffo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:49 pm

This Saturday sees the end of an era at the Lockleys FC with the last minor round game to be played out of the old club rooms before moving into the new facilities in time for next season. (Unless we can snag a home elimination final with the right results :D )

As such we are holding a function during the A grade with an invitation to all past players, officials and anyone else who wishes to attend. We will be wearing a one off guernsey which will be auctioned off after the game.

A big thank you to everyone from the other clubs for putting up with the conditions this year.
giffo
Reserves

Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby valleys07 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:13 pm

whufc wrote:I think the biggest respect and change to Smithfield has been the player behaviour despite not dominating the league.

It’s easy to stay out of trouble and away from suspensions when your playing in back to back grand finals. The last 3-4 years though has seen Smithfield sitting mid table and even relegated yet player behaviour has stayed really good

That’s total culture change right there! People at the club have put a lot of hard yards in and got the rewards.

Very well played!

Motion seconded.

Whilst I can only speak for their C Grade side, both times we played them this season, the results were incredibly one sided and it would have been so easy for them on both occasions to go the knuckle, however it was the polar opposite.

They were actually a top quality bunch of lads who never stopped encouraging each other and even had a bit of banter with our blokes throughout the game, despite the scoreboard being so mentally demoralising.

It goes to show that with the right people at the helm, cultural change can happen.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby S Demon » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Anyone got a Pulteney v Trinity score? HV beat Blackfriars by 171pts. Jayke Hellmanns kicked 17
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Eastern Park took it up to Kenilworth early and led by 4 goals in the 2nd. Kenilworth then kicked 17 of the next 18 goals. Very impressed with our boys attitudes when challenged in a game with plenty to play for at a difficult ground. Kenilworths first A grade win ever at Eastern Park was a great effort!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Bedge » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:14 pm

S Demon wrote:Anyone got a Pulteney v Trinity score? HV beat Blackfriars by 171pts. Jayke Hellmanns kicked 17

See you at Kenilworth next week ;)

Blues by 161
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby BZB27 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Big last qtr by Salisbury to get over the line by the looks of it 6 goal to 1
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby RHM 17 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 pm

[quote="BZB27"]Big last qtr by Salisbury to get over the line by the looks of it 6 goal to 1[/quot

Salisbury Down 7 goals to 1 during 1st q...they just kept running and lpckleys couldn't go with them in the last qtr
RHM 17
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Pag » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:11 pm

Really proud of the efforts of our boys, not just today but for the year so far. Went 1-4 over the first five, then turned it around to go 10-3 from that point on and earn a home final. Hopefully the run isn’t finished yet.
Pag
Coach

Postby S Demon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:03 am

The Bedge wrote:
S Demon wrote:Anyone got a Pulteney v Trinity score? HV beat Blackfriars by 171pts. Jayke Hellmanns kicked 17

See you at Kenilworth next week ;)

Blues by 161

Eh? Why Kenilworth? Aren’t you guys hosting the QF?
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby S Demon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:24 am

St Mary’s
C5 QF Pulteney v Lockleys 10.15
5R EF Kenilworth v Pulteney 12.15
5 QF Pulteney v Hope Valley 2.15

Salisbury Oval
C5 EF Adel Uni v Salisbury 10.15
5R QF Hope Valley v Lockleys 12.15
5 EF Salisbury v Lockleys 2.15
Last edited by S Demon on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:35 am

S Demon wrote:Morgan Oval
C5 QF Pulteney v Lockleys 10.15
5R EF Kenilworth v Pulteney 12.15
5 QF Pulteney v Hope Valley 2.15

Salisbury Oval
C5 EF Adel Uni v Salisbury 10.15
5R QF Hope Valley v Lockleys 12.15
5 EF Salisbury v Lockleys 2.15

You’re playing at Kenilworth I believe. It would be a fair stretch of Hope Valleys and Lockleys resources having 2 games so far apart.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League