Promotion/Relegation

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Promotion/Relegation

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:07 pm

This topic rears it head every so often and it's done so again today in the Update.

For those that don't get The Update

"This has had air time many times before but the question has been raised whether the formula of Grand Finalists being promoted over the Minor Premier if in fact the minor Premier is not one of the Grand Finalists is ensuring at least the best performing team over 18 weeks is promoted.

As explained to the questioner: We’re happy to list it for discussion but it’s yours to debate. We make no secret we believe the minor premier being promoted regardless of grand final participation should be considered. Our position when discussed in Circa 2015/16 was that we wouldn’t raise it again and would need to come from the General Committee and one for the GC to agree.

We have a whole list of initiatives that have been shelved long before the current Executive management assumed office. One day any of those initiatives will be considered timely. For example. Some time ago we discussed the merits of last touch out of bunds and yet last Monday Night it was considered as part of the solution to alleviate the responsibility of a time keeper."

The clubs have already agreed previously that one up, one down isn't an option.

We also know that there are clubs that go undefeated throughout the year and lose a GF (West Croydon comes to mind) and then there are clubs that have a good run through finals and manage to snag a flag but then struggle in the higher div the following year (Pooraka)

Someone mentioned to me once, that the method that cricket uses to determine who goes up and who doesn't may also work

Anyway, feel free to share your inner most on the above subject
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Re: Promotion/Relegation

Postby jo172 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:16 pm

And lose the opportunity to mock a losing minor premier preliminary finalist with the immortal taunt "another year in Div X"?

Never!
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:02 pm

It is a sensible system in ATCA because you can lose a cricket semi-final due to the toss and/or the weather but in the AdFL a minor premier gets 2 cracks at making a GF. They did in the final 4 that the league had for years and they still do in a final 5 with the added advantage of having a week off at the start of the finals series. If you can't make the GF in those circumstances then I'm happy to accept you are not the best or second best team in the comp regardless of ladder position at the end of the minor round.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:11 pm

I'm not afraid to say that I actually have no idea how the cricket finals work so if anyone wants to explain, then please do :)

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:14 pm

If it aint broke dont fix it
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby heater31 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I'm not afraid to say that I actually have no idea how the cricket finals work so if anyone wants to explain, then please do :)

Sudden death semi finals 1v4, 2v3 higher ranked sides goes through if weather intervenes.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby The Old Fellow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:58 am

heater31 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:I'm not afraid to say that I actually have no idea how the cricket finals work so if anyone wants to explain, then please do :)

Sudden death semi finals 1v4, 2v3 higher ranked sides goes through if weather intervenes.....

Some cricket associations promote the minor premier and the premiers. If the same promote both GFists.

Some say in AFL if minor premiers dont make GF stiff but weather, injuries etc can play a big part on how a team performs in every game let alone finals.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Fricky » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 am

The Old Fellow wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Some cricket associations promote the minor premier and the premiers. If the same promote both GFists.

Some say in AFL if minor premiers dont make GF stiff but weather, injuries etc can play a big part on how a team performs in every game let alone finals.

Why don't we bring back the Challenge Rule while we're at it - Minor Premier doesn't make the GF, continues to train, challenges the Premier for the title and the team that won the flag has to back up the next week in another GF.

Two Grand Finalists get promoted.
Two bottom teams get relegated.
Leave it at that
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Cash 123 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 am

Leave it as is
Cash 123
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 22 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 am

If anything I’d change to one up, one down.
Only the winner of the GF gets promoted.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:09 pm

F.C just need to clear something up Pooraka in 2017 played in the G.F in both As and Bs in div 5 and went into Div 4 in 2018 they finished 3rd or 4th that year now in 2019 they have had a lot of players either retire or move on to other clubs and like a lot of other clubs have found it hard to recruit new players as the suburb has changed so much in the last 10 years
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Bullrider » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:27 pm

jo172 wrote:And lose the opportunity to mock a losing minor premier preliminary finalist with the immortal taunt "another year in Div X"?

Never!

Why not Minor Premiers and GF Winner get promoted, if they are the same then both teams in the GF move up.
Bullrider
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:48 pm

That was the suggestion in the first place.

question has been raised whether the formula of Grand Finalists being promoted over the Minor Premier if in fact the minor Premier is not one of the Grand Finalists is ensuring at least the best performing team over 18 weeks is promoted.

I don't mind this actually.

That being said, I'm not really fussed which way it happens, as long as it creates a fair playing field for all.

Footy Chick

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:52 pm

If you finish top at the end of the minor round and don't make the GF, you don't deserve to go up! Simples.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Honestly, this strikes me as a solution in need of a problem.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby locky801 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:24 pm

it's not broken so why change it :roll:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby The Bedge » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:16 am

locky801 wrote:it's not broken so why change it :roll:

No one is changing anything, it's just discussion.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:07 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but any idea how promotion and relegation will work this season given D5, D6 and D7 are only 9 teams?

Will it be 1 up, 1 down? 2 up, 2 down? Something different?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:53 pm

The Bedge wrote:Don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but any idea how promotion and relegation will work this season given D5, D6 and D7 are only 9 teams?

Will it be 1 up, 1 down? 2 up, 2 down? Something different?

2 up 2 down... play on!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby BigB » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:00 am

Down the Hill wrote:It is a sensible system in ATCA because you can lose a cricket semi-final due to the toss and/or the weather but in the AdFL a minor premier gets 2 cracks at making a GF. They did in the final 4 that the league had for years and they still do in a final 5 with the added advantage of having a week off at the start of the finals series. If you can't make the GF in those circumstances then I'm happy to accept you are not the best or second best team in the comp regardless of ladder position at the end of the minor round.

Astute observation.. agree totally. Your reward for minor premiership is an extra chance and a week off. Leave it as it is..
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League