Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:29 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:Sitting here patiently for Booneys review!

*Bump
Not sure on the protocol after a loss, what day can we expect it?

I don’t want any of this measured statistical analysis bullshit!! I want full rant Rocket Eade style!!

Right in front of me style!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:33 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

*Bump

Even he doesn’t give a crap about them anymore ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

*Bump

Waiting for the club to tell him how he should feel??
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LMA » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 pm

The Hawks must of had a win :lol:
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:01 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

*Bump

Waiting for the club to tell him how he should feel??

About you, or the club?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:01 am

LMA wrote:The Hawks must of had a win :lol:

He's heading into UK territory.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby LMA » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:29 am

Booney wrote:

More posts in here in a week than in the entire Hawthorn thread, says it all really.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 am

LMA wrote:
Booney wrote:

More posts in here in a week than in the entire Hawthorn thread, says it all really.

The three biggest knockers of Port Adelaide ( bar Dutchy ) are all Centrals fans.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:56 am

Booney wrote:
LMA wrote:
Booney wrote:

The three biggest knockers of Port Adelaide ( bar Dutchy ) are all Centrals fans.

Don't feel privileged we hate the Crows just as much if not more! At least you guys are a club not a franchise!
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 am

whufc wrote:Don't feel privileged we hate the Crows just as much if not more! At least you guys are a club not a franchise!

You probably do, but you don't envy them, that's the difference.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:02 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Don't feel privileged we hate the Crows just as much if not more! At least you guys are a club not a franchise!

I don't envy what Port have become. I envied the Port Magpies of the 90's though, you couldn't be any further away from that these days though.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 am

Booney wrote:

I think the word your looking for, Boon, is "pity".
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yep, I remember Port when they had a clear indentity, when they were feared by all, I remember when the thought of Port scrapping into the finals would have sent shivers through the football community, I remember when they were clearly a working class football club supportered by wharfies.

I remember when the prison bars were more than a guernsey, not something Port would give up. I remember when they were 100% Port not tossing and throwing whether they were aligned to their Magpie culture or not. The Magpies I grew up envying would never have suggested they were anything but Magpies.

ps I also remember when the Port captain wore number 1, and when you saw that player near the ball you new Port would come out on top.
Last edited by whufc on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 am

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:

Look at you all minor premiered up.... :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 am

In the interest of keeping this family friendly I’ll avoid using the description I had in my head at 3am this morning. I’ll run with something more usable, “I told you season 2019 was over”. ( It most certainly is, now ).

Typically I like to run through the goings-on of the fixture Port Adelaide have just completed but I simply can’t put myself through a recap of Saturday night, not without revisiting it and quite frankly on a Monday morning with only one coffee in me and a pile of paperwork on my desk, I don’t want to, either.

What I do want to discuss is the mental fragility of the Port Adelaide Football Club. It’s not just this playing group, either. From the after the siren overtime loss in 2017, to the 11-4 and miss finals win/loss of 2018 the torment has been going on for 3 years now and I can understand why many Port fans have simply had enough. 2019 hasn’t been a year worth remembering, bar the rise of some young talent.

The co-captaincy has been nothing short of a debacle. Travis Boak, without even hesitating to think about it, relinquished the captaincy at least one season too soon. He’s led Port Adelaide like a captain should in 2019. He’s been our most consistent player, he’s stood up when we needed someone to stand up, he has led from the front.

In contrast Ollie Wines (albeit I’m ok with it) had some rotten luck in the preseason, had some untimely bad luck when breaking his leg then follows up with a broken thumb. He’s never got going in 2019 and he’ll be the first to admit he’s happy this year is done, his form has mirrored his fitness and he will be keen to make amends next year. So too will Tom Jonas, rushed back when clearly not ready it then took Jonas several weeks to find the run needed to compete at AFL level, just when he got going the lack of preseason came back to bite and he’s looked off the pace for several weeks. He too will be keen to bid 2019 farewell and return for 2020 in better physical shape than he’s been at any time in 2019.

This decision in the preseason hurt the supporter base, the noise from the terraces was clear, we want one #1 wearing #1 and we don’t want co-captains. The players wanted Jonas, the club wanted Wines, the fans wanted someone to show some fortitude and just pick one. They didn’t. Now the noise is deafening and the club must rectify this matter over the summer. Do they demote 1? Do they demote 2? Who knows, but I’ll cover this conversation off another day in more detail.

What’s happened on field? Well, much the same as the past 3 years. You can bank on Port’s form going up and down as much as you can on Alan Jones saying something stupid.

Is it structural? Not defensively, when we set up behind the ball we’re hard to score against and we often create more inside 50’s than our opponents on the back of repeat entries built on our defensive zone.

Offensively, you bet your Grand Ma’s favourite slippers it is. Too often we fall down forward of the ball, outnumbered and/or out positioned. There must be change to our forward line tactics and this may mean the line coach is up for review in that department.

Is it personnel? Not when things click. The wins over West Coast, Geelong, Adelaide, Essendon…..things click, the players work as a group, we get the choccies. Most fans who follow AFL, bias aside, acknowledge how good Port’s best can be, it’s been that way for 3 years though. Good – Very good. Bad – Not fit for print.

Is it application? Most disappointing is I arrive at this conclusion after almost every loss we weren’t meant to have. What other conclusion can you arrive at, especially after Saturday night’s display? 207, yes, that’s right, 207 less disposals, 21 less clearances, 50 less contested possessions. If anyone tries to tell me the players “came to play” on Saturday night I’ll either burst their ear drums with my response or return to drinking alone in my bar looking at prints of sides I could trust.

Do the players believe in the system? They should, there’s enough evidence built up over the last 3 or 4 years to suggest when the system is followed, when players play their role and the ball is moved how we want it moved we are a damaging side capable of winning against almost any opponent. What they seemingly don’t believe is in our ability to deal with a match when things aren’t going our way, too often 10 minutes into a contest Port fans can tell if we’re on, or not. That’s application. That’s what was missing Saturday night.

Onto the dead rubber against the stand for nothing Dockers in the dead slot 4:40 Sunday. I’ll be there, it’s my last chance to see the club I still love play in season 2019 and I urge all Port fans, regardless of their current state of mind and heart to get along and support our boys.

Boon’s best – Boak, Houston, Amon
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Port Adelaide 2019

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:25 am

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/port-adela ... 9db207cf41

Cash-strapped Port Adelaide reportedly asking stars to roll over 2019 salaries
By Chris De Silva

Port Adelaide is struggling so badly off the field that the club has reportedly asked some of its best players to roll over their 2019 salaries over to the 2020 season.
Speaking on Footy Classified, veteran AFL reporter Caroline Wilson revealed that the Power's dire profit-and-loss situation had resulted in the desperate calls made to some of it's most prolific players.
"They've got a profit-and-loss issue and my understanding is that several senior players have been asked to roll money over from 2019 to 2020," Wilson said.

"I'm talking about Robbie Gray, Travis Boak and several other players as well.
"Because of their profit-and-loss situation and the money they will lose this season, they are being asked to roll their salaries over to next year. That is not a usual situation."

Robbie Gray and Travis Boak are understood to be among the players asked to roll over their 2019 salaries.
According to Wilson, due to having turned to a youth policy through the recruitment of the likes of Zak Butters, Connor Rozee and Xavier Duursma, the Power is currently operating "more than half a billion dollars" under the salary cap.
Wilson stressed that the likes of Gray and Boak had no problem being asked to roll over their salaries, but shed doubt on the club's immediate future.
"If they're not making enough money to pay to 100 percent of their salary cap, what hope are they going to have in the next few years?" she said.
"I don't think (the players) have an issue with it, but it's an intriguing problem that the club has."

With their finals hopes on the line, Port Adelaide put up a dismal performance against North Melbourne (AAP)
Former Port Adelaide premiership player Kane Cornes also casted doubt over whether the club could win a premiership in the near future due to their off-field issues.
"It's a massive disadvantage," he told Footy Classified.
"For players like Boak and Gray who are coming towards the twilight, you're not going to win a premiership if you're not paying 100 percent of your salary cap."
With a finals spot on the line, the Power were humbled by North Melbourne, and Cornes said the effort from the players left a lot to be desired.
"The lack of pressure coming inside 50 was as bad as I've seen," he said.
"I was at this game, and you never want to accuse players of not trying, but they looked as though they weren't trying on the weekend."

Cornes also took aim at the club's recent recruitment of veterans such as Scott Lycett, Paddy Ryder, Charlie Dixon and Steven Motlop to make a few.
The Port legend's comments come as Ryder's future at the club is looking increasingly uncertain, with The Age reporting that his former club, Essendon, is interested in bringing the 32-year-old back to Melbourne.
"The young players have been great, we've spoken about it a lot, but the players they've brought over from other clubs, which ones do you give a tick to?" he said.
"Dixon, Ryder, probably not. Does (Jack) Watts get a tick? No. Rockliff?
"Motlop's in the SANFL. Lycett's in the SANFL. Whilst the development of the youth has been good, the recruitment and the free-agency selections have been poor."
Last edited by Jim05 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:26 am

Jim05 wrote:https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/port-adelaide-reportedly-asking-senior-players-to-roll-over-salary/b3c92222-8d28-467a-80c5-279db207cf41

Was waiting to see who was going to roll this out.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/port-adelaide-reportedly-asking-senior-players-to-roll-over-salary/b3c92222-8d28-467a-80c5-279db207cf41

Was waiting to see who was going to roll this out.

Well it’s certainty not good if any truth to it. I don’t think it’s a secret that off field they are really struggling and that the Saints are the only club in the comp with a bigger debt than Port now. The AFL will have to intervene at some stage and offer assistance I’d imagine
Jim05
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 am

Booney wrote:In the interest of keeping this family friendly I’ll avoid using the description I had in my head at 3am this morning. I’ll run with something more usable, “I told you season 2019 was over”. ( It most certainly is, now ).

Typically I like to run through the goings-on of the fixture Port Adelaide have just completed but I simply can’t put myself through a recap of Saturday night, not without revisiting it and quite frankly on a Monday morning with only one coffee in me and a pile of paperwork on my desk, I don’t want to, either.

What I do want to discuss is the mental fragility of the Port Adelaide Football Club. It’s not just this playing group, either. From the after the siren overtime loss in 2017, to the 11-4 and miss finals win/loss of 2018 the torment has been going on for 3 years now and I can understand why many Port fans have simply had enough. 2019 hasn’t been a year worth remembering, bar the rise of some young talent.

The co-captaincy has been nothing short of a debacle. Travis Boak, without even hesitating to think about it, relinquished the captaincy at least one season too soon. He’s led Port Adelaide like a captain should in 2019. He’s been our most consistent player, he’s stood up when we needed someone to stand up, he has led from the front.

In contrast Ollie Wines (albeit I’m ok with it) had some rotten luck in the preseason, had some untimely bad luck when breaking his leg then follows up with a broken thumb. He’s never got going in 2019 and he’ll be the first to admit he’s happy this year is done, his form has mirrored his fitness and he will be keen to make amends next year. So too will Tom Jonas, rushed back when clearly not ready it then took Jonas several weeks to find the run needed to compete at AFL level, just when he got going the lack of preseason came back to bite and he’s looked off the pace for several weeks. He too will be keen to bid 2019 farewell and return for 2020 in better physical shape than he’s been at any time in 2019.

This decision in the preseason hurt the supporter base, the noise from the terraces was clear, we want one #1 wearing #1 and we don’t want co-captains. The players wanted Jonas, the club wanted Wines, the fans wanted someone to show some fortitude and just pick one. They didn’t. Now the noise is deafening and the club must rectify this matter over the summer. Do they demote 1? Do they demote 2? Who knows, but I’ll cover this conversation off another day in more detail.

What’s happened on field? Well, much the same as the past 3 years. You can bank on Port’s form going up and down as much as you can on Alan Jones saying something stupid.

Is it structural? Not defensively, when we set up behind the ball we’re hard to score against and we often create more inside 50’s than our opponents on the back of repeat entries built on our defensive zone.

Offensively, you bet your Grand Ma’s favourite slippers it is. Too often we fall down forward of the ball, outnumbered and/or out positioned. There must be change to our forward line tactics and this may mean the line coach is up for review in that department.

Is it personnel? Not when things click. The wins over West Coast, Geelong, Adelaide, Essendon…..things click, the players work as a group, we get the choccies. Most fans who follow AFL, bias aside, acknowledge how good Port’s best can be, it’s been that way for 3 years though. Good – Very good. Bad – Not fit for print.

Is it application? Most disappointing is I arrive at this conclusion after almost every loss we weren’t meant to have. What other conclusion can you arrive at, especially after Saturday night’s display? 207, yes, that’s right, 207 less disposals, 21 less clearances, 50 less contested possessions. If anyone tries to tell me the players “came to play” on Saturday night I’ll either burst their ear drums with my response or return to drinking alone in my bar looking at prints of sides I could trust.

Do the players believe in the system? They should, there’s enough evidence built up over the last 3 or 4 years to suggest when the system is followed, when players play their role and the ball is moved how we want it moved we are a damaging side capable of winning against almost any opponent. What they seemingly don’t believe is in our ability to deal with a match when things aren’t going our way, too often 10 minutes into a contest Port fans can tell if we’re on, or not. That’s application. That’s what was missing Saturday night.

Onto the dead rubber against the stand for nothing Dockers in the dead slot 4:40 Sunday. I’ll be there, it’s my last chance to see the club I still love play in season 2019 and I urge all Port fans, regardless of their current state of mind and heart to get along and support our boys.

Boon’s best – Boak, Houston, Amon

Boo for using the more useable version!!!

Good right up as usual though.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 am

So is this part of the reason for the dropping of players - they can’t afford the match payments?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL