The Ashes 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2019

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:38 pm

mal wrote:QUESTIONS

Playing for a draw , late in the game
Why did The Lab[sweep] and Painey [pull]play such rash shots?

4 wickets left
3 balls to go
Why not bowl the last 3 balls,and maybe getting Cummins or Head, or more out ?
Only the batters should wanna walk off, in that instance
If I was Cummins when the game is called off , I would be contented.
Does anyone agree ?

Why did Head not take a single of the last ball of the 2nd last over ?
Why expose Cummins , and then maybe Siddle, Hazelwood and Lyon ?

Should there be a concussion sub rule ?
Plenty of players get injured, and cant bat or bowl in games

My answers;
Labuschagne was sweeping consistently before that and even played a reverse sweep. There was certainly some risk sweeping out the rough, but it worked for him. He was a little unlucky that the ball came off Burns' thigh to Root. I'm still not convinced he caught it. Credit to Labuschagne, given the circumstances he batted very well.
Paine is a worry. They set him up for the hook shot and he couldn't resist. We have to remember Tim Paine is not a great bat, but it would be nice if he learnt to duck under bouncers.
The umpires called stumps after 3 balls because a result could not be achieved, no big deal.
Travis had confidence in Cummins to play out the last over from Leach. It was much easier for right handers to face the spinners and don't forget Travis played and missed at two balls in Denleys last over.
Yes there should be a concussion sub rule. Player safety is paramount.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Paine would have faced Archer shitloads of times at the Hurricanes as would have Wade.

If either Paine Usman Warner are playing in the first home test I will be pissed.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:17 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Paine would have faced Archer shitloads of times at the Hurricanes as would have Wade.

If either Paine Usman Warner are playing in the first home test I will be pissed.

Paine has to unless Smith's captaincy ban is up by then.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:20 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Paine would have faced Archer shitloads of times at the Hurricanes as would have Wade.

Paine has to unless Smith's captaincy ban is up by then.

Just give Head the captaincy, Smith is making most of the on-field decisions anyway. The only captaincy Paine is doing is the reviews which his stuffing up anyway.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:01 pm

twe wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
twe wrote:**** me do these blokes even know how to know how to watch a ball and evade anymore ? yes hes quick but watch the ball ffs !

Maybe its playing so much flat track T20 and one day cricket these days that is contributing to players struggling with their technique against fast short pitched bowling?

Whilst a few players got sconned back in the day, 70s & 80s before helmets became the norm, they certainly didnt get hit as regularly as they do these days.

to true jj im sure over your time in the hills you have seen blokes like tarque , taity ,galvin and maybe even gordy cairns or benny warren back in the day and more ..
tried batting with a helmet once in 2000s and never again reverted straight back to the baggy gold and faced all these blokes bar gordy at there peak in a cap got hit once and played the pull and hook all the time both on turf and hard wicket … 100 % agree with your theory …

Yep ive seen and faced my share of fast bowlers over the decades bowling short stuff. I like you have never worn a helmet. Got hit once in U/16s and twice in the last few years. Both times i was extremely lucky to avoid serious injury tho had a sore head for at least a week after on both occasions.
I avoided getting hit in the 35 year gap by not taking on the hook shot to bowlers that i deemed to have my measure with their pace so even tho i felt a bit vulnerable at times its amazing how instinctive your evasive reflexes are when you have a ball coming straight at your head.
Having said that facing a ball at 130 - 140 kmh is a lot different id imagine than 150+ kmh thunderbolts
ps I was glad i was playing with Benny Warren and not against him when he was about 20 as he could be extremely quick at that age. After that he always had footy injury niggles that prevented him from fully letting himself go, not that he had to, to get bags full of wickets every week as he did so much with the ball anyway. Even at 37 yo now he can still slip a slippery bouncer in if he gets hit for 4
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Never batted without a helmet and have only faced one bowler I would never ever ever ever attempt to hook. Trevor Bailey, not sure how true it is but apparently he won some Australian fast bowling contest as a under 19 player. It could have been a lie or an exaggeration but it didn't matter he was bloody quick, quicker than anyone I ever faced at district level.

He use to roll up to training wearing his still caps as he was best mates with our coach, grab a ball and start bowling at us as 16 year olds. Ive never heard a sound like his balls hitting the steel cage as I played and missed/bobbed and weaved my way around them.

Cricket went from being a fun sport to genuinely feeling like I could die. Worst part was he never actually played for us, would just come out and bowl at us in the nets.

Was the biggest friendly giant though you could meet and a great person, who had a lot of time for us kids at that stage.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:51 pm

whufc wrote:Never batted without a helmet and have only faced one bowler I would never ever ever ever attempt to hook. Trevor Bailey, not sure how true it is but apparently he won some Australian fast bowling contest as a under 19 player. It could have been a lie or an exaggeration but it didn't matter he was bloody quick, quicker than anyone I ever faced at district level.

He use to roll up to training wearing his still caps as he was best mates with our coach, grab a ball and start bowling at us as 16 year olds. Ive never heard a sound like his balls hitting the steel cage as I played and missed/bobbed and weaved my way around them.

Cricket went from being a fun sport to genuinely feeling like I could die. Worst part was he never actually played for us, would just come out and bowl at us in the nets.

Was the biggest friendly giant though you could meet and a great person, who had a lot of time for us kids at that stage.

Yep, Stinger was pretty bloody sharp, yes he did win the Gestener fast bowling comp.

They had trials during the lunch breaks of the tests at each venue, he won the Adelaide Oval one and I'm pretty sure he took out the national comp.

Another Elizabeth District CC product that could've been anything but found other interests as a young lad.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:28 pm

whufc wrote:Cricket went from being a fun sport to genuinely feeling like I could die.

Half the thrill i reckon.. nothing gets the heart racing like facing someone who when they bowl the ball makes a fizzing sound as it flies past your ear. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:26 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Cricket went from being a fun sport to genuinely feeling like I could die.

Half the thrill i reckon.. nothing gets the heart racing like facing someone who when they bowl the ball makes a fizzing sound as it flies past your ear. :lol:

Nope!! :D
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:30 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Pretty much describes 50% of the balls I faced as a senior cricketer.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 pm

The Bedge wrote:

That and the thump when it pitches. You know a guy is quick when the ground snakes as it pitches.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby locky801 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:58 pm

The Bedge wrote:

I just had the idea the quicker and shorter they bowled, the quicker and further they went over the fence :D :D
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:15 pm

James Anderson has been ruled out of the third test and England have named an unchanged squad of 12 for the match.

As a part of his rehab from his calf injury Anderson will play second eleven for Lancashire in a three day match this week instead of joining the test squad.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10292 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby batmanbegins » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:James Anderson has been ruled out of the third test and England have named an unchanged squad of 12 for the match.

As a part of his rehab from his calf injury Anderson will play second eleven for Lancashire in a three day match this week instead of joining the test squad.

Hopefully he is back by the 4th test. The thought of having jimmy, archer, broad and woakes bowling in english conditions together is quite exciting.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:00 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:James Anderson has been ruled out of the third test and England have named an unchanged squad of 12 for the match.

Hopefully he is back by the 4th test. The thought of having jimmy, archer, broad and woakes bowling in english conditions together is quite exciting.

Will be interesting to see how Root manages Archer in the upcoming tests. He wouldn't want to over bowl him and break his new toy.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Been liked: 532 times

Postby northerner » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:07 am

Must be tempting to unleash Starc this Test. Fight fire with fire
northerner
Reserves

Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:22 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:

Will be interesting to see how Root manages Archer in the upcoming tests. He wouldn't want to over bowl him and break his new toy.

He failed miserably at it this test, over bowled him and under bowled woakes. He will destroy him if he uses him like that. Frankly roots captaincy has been average same with his batting for some time, he has to lift on both fronts for us to win.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 am

northerner wrote:Must be tempting to unleash Starc this Test. Fight fire with fire

Worse move we could make. Once you start going against your own plan and react to what the other team are doing your in trouble.

Even if you wanted to Starc has never had that dangerous a short ball for someone who bowls at his speed, definitely not in the same class as a Lee, Johnson or Gillespie.

Jofra isn't going to change his plan attack just because he will cop a few back, remembering we were the ones who started the short stuff. If your an aussie batter and he is fizzing them around your head, in the heat of the battle it means nothing that Starc is sitting up there able to give them back.

For mine we need to trust the process which is to tie these blokes down, test their lack of patience. We have bowled well so far.

The batting needs a shake up and we need tough characters. I would have Labuschagne in for Smith (if his not fit), if Smith plays Labuschagne comes in for Khawaja for mine who has the heart of a pea.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:46 am

batmanbegins wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:

He failed miserably at it this test, over bowled him and under bowled woakes. He will destroy him if he uses him like that. Frankly roots captaincy has been average same with his batting for some time, he has to lift on both fronts for us to win.

In fairness to Root he doesn't have a lot of support around him.

All the other top five batters are trying to forge their own careers nevermind playing leadership roles.

Bowling wise Broad has experience but there has always been rumours that Broad is a fairly self centred personality amongst the team (nothing wrong with this as it makes him the star he has been) but probably doesn't help Root.

Look at the Aussies on the other hand and Paine does have Smith, Warner, Khawaja who are all long term test cricketers
whufc
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:53 pm

Bairstow, Stokes and Woakes have all played enough International cricket. Buttler and Roy in other forms too.

Why is it that most English captains come to look as if the weight of the world is upon them, whereas all Aussie captains take it on with a positive approach? Paine has been pretty much on a hiding to nothing over the last 12 months but always looks likes he wants the challenge.

Kwahaja was stiff in the second innings, Archer got him with a good one, but that is why he needed to make the most of the starts in other innings.

Wade is a tough one. He took the game away from England in the first test but his other three innings haven't been worth much. I had Marnus at 6 before the series because I thought he was more consistently reliable to play the sort of innings he did Sunday, supporting Smith and Head or making those handy, annoying partnerships with Paine, Cummins, Pattinson just when the opposition have got a sniff.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket