Port Adelaide 2019

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:03 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Don’t use the grown up term otherwise you’ll get demoted to the A team.

Only where I see fit mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Don’t use the grown up term otherwise you’ll get demoted to the A team.

You'll get yummy dim sims at the meetings. :lol:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby stan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:08 pm

mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Trader wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Everyone is missing UK’s point about this...it hasn’t been the saviour either on field or off field that the footy club thought it would be.

Is that his point though?

For mine, he's complaining about state government expenditure, not the onfield success of Port Adelaide:

UK Fan wrote:5 years after spending $600 mill of tax payers money on Adelaide Oval we are back to where we started with a broke PAFC.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love the PAFC to be doing better than it currently is, but if his point is that the move to the oval was meant to improve the club, I don't understand why he keeps including the price of the oval redevelopment in his comments.

He's complaining about the state government expenditure coupled with the on going plight of the PAFC's finances because he thinks one was spent to fix the other. He actually thinks the AO Redevelopment was initiated and completed to save the PAFC.

Surely that was a major objective though (at least from PAFC's perspective).

If not, why were they pushing so hard to get there, set up a better stadium deal etc.

According to some nuffties it wouldn't have even happened if PAFC hadnt been driving the change?!

So if its not delivering the right numbers on the balance sheet after such a short time (particularly when it seemed to for the first couple of years), surely thats a legitimate cause for concern and not just deflection :-?

It's going to become pretty expensive if the novelty keeps wearing off new things for the Power fans this quickly ;)
I think the key is the stadium deal to this point. Problem is for Port the SANFL were able to get in the SMA enough. Good for the SANFL but bad for Port, I can't see it changing and for Port it won't get any better.

I reckon they were hoping for a model like in WA where the WAFL are not part of the new stadium management structure.

Interesting times ahead indeed.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Booney wrote:
mots02 wrote:Surely that was a major objective though (at least from PAFC's perspective).

If not, why were they pushing so hard to get there, set up a better stadium deal etc.

According to some nuffties it wouldn't have even happened if PAFC hadnt been driving the change?!

So if its not delivering the right numbers on the balance sheet after such a short time (particularly when it seemed to for the first couple of years), surely thats a legitimate cause for concern and not just deflection :-?

It's going to become pretty expensive if the novelty keeps wearing off new things for the Power fans this quickly ;)

You know what nuffies are like, all happy clapping and writing reviews, I wouldn't believe them or what they say. ;)

I'll happily discuss the issue with the grown ups in the room.

As Dutchy noted, the club invested into the football department spend to turn around the results on field, you could say that has occurred.

In the 5 years before AO we won 12,5,3,10 and 9 games in the 5 seasons since the move and investment 14,12,10,14,12,10* (2019). While that's lobbed us in the middle of table it sure beats winning 3 or 5 games per year. It hasn't delivered a premiership, it's only delivered 2 finals series and no finals win since 2014. Not good enough. Most football fans would agree Port's list has been better than that and the frustration within the supporter group hasn't been this high since the end of Primus.

The cost of going to the footy, the cost of living, I maintain this is impacting upon the 11 game season ticket holders, the ones who underpin the revenue, the walk ups add to it.

We still smell, on a corporate level, we haven't been able to secure a big name major sponsor post Renault, thus China > additional revenue streams. There's no Ford, Toyota, Hungry Jacks, Emirates ( to name a few ) big ticket sponsors around the competition knocking on our door.

Super frustrating for the rusted on like me, rock up rain (6 games this year and again Sunday!), hail or shine, win, lose or draw.

It's not just Port noting the drop in attendance, Adelaide in 2014 were 48,000, 3 years in the 46's, last year 45's, this year 44,514.

At the time there was a lot of claims made in particular from Port that they needed AO to remain viable.

What happens now though? If they cant remain viable due to the novelty of AO wearing off.

Especially as you pointed out there realistically not going through that bad a trot. Imagine if they had a spiral like the Carlton's and St Kilda's have seen over the last 5-7 years. At least Port have had 'optimism' and 'potential' over the last few years which definitely has had to increase attendances, memberships etc.

Ultimately the question has to be asked is how to Port remain a viable team in the AFL if they cant be self sustainable during a mid table period.

Are we going to see once again Port signing an agreement that they thought was the golden ticket (AFL entry/Adelaide Oval) only for a few years down the track looking to change the contracts because they overestimated the figures.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Maybe they can redevelop footy park?
Oh wait, too late.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:16 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Maybe they can redevelop footy park?
Oh wait, too late.

Home games at Alberton?

chuck open a few more gates, add an eftpos machine and few more pies.

Job done!
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby LMA » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:19 pm

UK Fan wrote:
LMA wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Its no great secret and even Port people understand their position, rightly or wrongly they decided to use surplus funds to beef up their footy department which would in turn increase performance which would increase attendence/memberships/sponsorships and THEN they would be able to reduce debt.

However there was a cliff coming if the above didn't succeed and that is where they are now, poor performance on and off field and large debt.

Im just very surprised that the footy media have allowed them to get away with it, with very little reporting about their financial situation, perhaps presuming wrongly it was all ok. Even stranger when you have a so called financial wizz as your President.

KT must be drafting his resignation letter surely, they need new direction IMO.

But I thought Adelaide Oval and China were a goldmine LMA ??? :-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tzuJXqgsiSM

Never said that once and never professed to knowing the inner financial going ons unlike you it seems.

LMA wrote:Your hatred of PAFC has clouded your judgement. AO investment has paid back in spades. Sport, entertainment, tourism and businesses have all benefited. You'd realise this if you weren't so salty :butthead:

Nothing in that comment about being a gold mine for Port. Was a reply to your comment and negativity about spending $600m of taxpayers money to develop the oval, which has paid dividends to the SA economy. Take your blinkers off, nice digging though.
Last edited by LMA on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:22 pm

mots02 wrote:
Oh wait, too late.

Home games at Alberton?

chuck open a few more gates, add an eftpos machine and few more pies.

Job done!

The way the crowds are going it’s not a silly idea!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:59 pm

Weren’t the SMA hoping Football season would recoup the revenue shortfall from Cricket season? Wonder how much memberships will increase by next season?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Port Adelaide 2019

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:10 pm

stan wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Trader wrote:
amber_fluid"]Everyone is missing UK’s point about this...it hasn’t been the saviour either on field or off field that the footy club thought it would be.

For mine, he's complaining about state government expenditure, not the onfield success of Port Adelaide:

[quote="UK Fan wrote:5 years after spending $600 mill of tax payers money on Adelaide Oval we are back to where we started with a broke PAFC.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love the PAFC to be doing better than it currently is, but if his point is that the move to the oval was meant to improve the club, I don't understand why he keeps including the price of the oval redevelopment in his comments.

He's complaining about the state government expenditure coupled with the on going plight of the PAFC's finances because he thinks one was spent to fix the other. He actually thinks the AO Redevelopment was initiated and completed to save the PAFC.

I think the key is the stadium deal to this point. Problem is for Port the SANFL were able to get in the SMA enough. Good for the SANFL but bad for Port, I can't see it changing and for Port it won't get any better.

I reckon they were hoping for a model like in WA where the WAFL are not part of the new stadium management structure.

Interesting times ahead indeed.[/quote]
The SANFL should be a very big part of the SMA, without them there would have been no move to AO
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby LMA » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Booney wrote:
LMA wrote:
Booney wrote:Suck shit, he's stalking you now. :lol:

#-o give me brett anyday, rather crazy than obsessed.

Letting UK off pretty light there.....

If I wanted to get banned I would talk soccer in a soccer thread :)
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:55 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Is leadership the issue at Alberton?

A senior assistant who was looking at another job.

I thought about this yesterday, do you really think an assistant interviewing for a senior job elsewhere is something to be worried about?

Please Dutchy.....

In isolation no, but add it in with everything else happening the players could rightly think its a rudderless ship.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby stan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:
mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Trader"][quote="amber_fluid"]Everyone is missing UK’s point about this...it hasn’t been the saviour either on field or off field that the footy club thought it would be.

[quote="UK Fan wrote:5 years after spending $600 mill of tax payers money on Adelaide Oval we are back to where we started with a broke PAFC.

Interesting times ahead indeed.[/quote]
The SANFL should be a very big part of the SMA, without them there would have been no move to AO[/quote]

Not sure why they should, I mean it's good that they are as it helps with the long term future of the comp, but I also keep forgetting that when the move to AO was on, the SANFL still held the AFL licences. It's a good less of doing a deal from a position of power.
Last edited by stan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:09 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Is leadership the issue at Alberton?

A senior assistant who was looking at another job.

I thought about this yesterday, do you really think an assistant interviewing for a senior job elsewhere is something to be worried about?

Please Dutchy.....

In isolation no, but add it in with everything else happening the players could rightly think its a rudderless ship.

With all that's happening at Alberton you've picked a pretty insignificant matter to focus upon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:45 am

Oh wait, too late.

Just bump the food and beverage prices up a bit at AO, they practically give their food away.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:53 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Oh wait, too late.

Just bump the food and beverage prices up a bit at AO, they practically give their food away.

Even the yummy dim sims?
Jim05
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 am

Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Oh wait, too late.

Even the yummy dim sims?

They can double and still sell apparently, have you ever been to the footy and not enjoyed a yummy dim sim?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:18 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Oh wait, too late.

They normally give me a dozen free beers each time I go.
I just have to swipe this card thing after each one though.
Not sure what that’s about, but the missus normally finds out.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:23 am

amber_fluid wrote:
They normally give me a dozen free beers each time I go.
I just have to swipe this card thing after each one though.
Not sure what that’s about, but the missus normally finds out.

Don't you just love that anxious wait between waking up after a night out on the gas and the missus checking the transactions, you kinda hope it's early while you're still half pickled and useless rather than her checking it after you've taken her out for dinner to make up for last night.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:36 am

Why have all you blokes got joint accounts :)
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL