The Ashes 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2019

Postby Grenville » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:03 pm

whufc wrote:
northerner wrote:Must be tempting to unleash Starc this Test. Fight fire with fire

Worse move we could make. Once you start going against your own plan and react to what the other team are doing your in trouble.

Even if you wanted to Starc has never had that dangerous a short ball for someone who bowls at his speed, definitely not in the same class as a Lee, Johnson or Gillespie.

Jofra isn't going to change his plan attack just because he will cop a few back, remembering we were the ones who started the short stuff. If your an aussie batter and he is fizzing them around your head, in the heat of the battle it means nothing that Starc is sitting up there able to give them back.

For mine we need to trust the process which is to tie these blokes down, test their lack of patience. We have bowled well so far.

The batting needs a shake up and we need tough characters. I would have Labuschagne in for Smith (if his not fit), if Smith plays Labuschagne comes in for Khawaja for mine who has the heart of a pea.

The Toad has contributed nothing in either Test. At least Bancroft can catch.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby northerner » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:10 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Cricket went from being a fun sport to genuinely feeling like I could die.

Half the thrill i reckon.. nothing gets the heart racing like facing someone who when they bowl the ball makes a fizzing sound as it flies past your ear. :lol:

Nope!! :D

Am I the only one here who can confess to "walking" when a half hearted appeal was made by the keeper whilst facing a particularly hostile bowling spell (PDCA Grade One)?
Ump commended me after the Days Play saying he wouldn't have given me out... I replied "That's because I didn't hit it!"
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:11 pm

northerner wrote:
Am I the only one here who can confess to "walking" when a half hearted appeal was made by the keeper whilst facing a particularly hostile bowling spell (PDCA Grade One)?
Ump commended me after the Days Play saying he wouldn't have given me out... I replied "That's because I didn't hit it!"

Is that you Dobbo?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:14 pm

northerner wrote:
whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Cricket went from being a fun sport to genuinely feeling like I could die.

Half the thrill i reckon.. nothing gets the heart racing like facing someone who when they bowl the ball makes a fizzing sound as it flies past your ear. :lol:

Nope!! :D

I remember one day 15 years ago I was facing a bloke called Dwayne Jones, he was 6ft 6 at least I reckon and had some heat albeit he never lasted more than 1 game in a row. Anyway I had to bat for the last hour of the day and they had short leg, leg gully, short cover etc.

He bowled a bouncer that went over my head, over the keepers head one bounce for four at Eastern Parks oval. He followed that up with 3-4 other bouncer I somehow avoided. I eventually worked one of my hip only for Roy Laird to take a very very very low down catch, everyone stopped the umpires didn't really know whether he caught it or not.

I looked at Lairdy and rather than asking the question gave the old 'You caught that didn't you Lairdy' his gave me a nod...…………………………...I was already half way of the pitch whether he caught it or not. ha.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
northerner wrote:

Is that you Dobbo?

Funny you mention that, the only time I ever so Dobbo walk was when facing Kenny McConnell, yet I seen him absolutely smash some other and stand there like nothing happened.
whufc
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:23 pm

Smith ruled out of 3rd test
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:35 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Smith ruled out of 3rd test
Not good news at all, the rest of the top order better pull their fingers out then. Khawaja to keep his spot now.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:09 am

The pressure is now on England.

If they cant win the third test with against a Smithless Australia the Ashes is done and dusted.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:17 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Smith ruled out of 3rd test
Not good news at all, the rest of the top order better pull their fingers out then. Khawaja to keep his spot now.

This may sound a bit heartless and I'm not sure on how to word it as I am gutted about what has happened to Steve Smith and I do wonder if he can return with the same mindset and domination but this could be some sort of blessing in disguise.

If there was/is ever a time when this top order need to show some Aussie spirit, grow some balls and dig deep, if we win this test, Smith can have a holiday and we can hold auditions for spots for this coming summer.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:24 am

Marnus got badged by Starc in the nets yesterday.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:37 am

I find it hilarious that people are getting stuck into Archer for him targeting players but seem to forget Johnson doing the exact same thing when we played the poms... The media and their double standards are laughable
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:49 am

woodublieve12 wrote:I find it hilarious that people are getting stuck into Archer for him targeting players but seem to forget Johnson doing the exact same thing when we played the poms... The media and their double standards are laughable

Anyone who gets stuck in to Archer for targeting Smith is an imbecile.

Yes he could come under critiscm for his reaction afterwards (that's debatable) but his tactic was 100% ok.
Last edited by whufc on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:00 am

Nah **** his reaction I loved it.. should’ve got in Smith’s face and told the mug to get up and get ready for another.. **** this sportsmanship crap these days I wanna see fierce rivalries.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:05 am

I must be hiding under a rock, I haven't seen one thing directed at Archer.

I did read some shit the day after it happened about English players allegedly laughing after it happened, the Barmy Army booing when he returned and some chop was the first one ever to be evicted from the MCC for ripping into Smith as he made his was through the long room.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:08 am

The Bedge wrote:Nah **** his reaction I loved it.. should’ve got in Smith’s face and told the mug to get up and get ready for another.. **** this sportsmanship crap these days I wanna see fierce rivalries.

The landscape around this sort of behaviour changed a few years back on the SCG.

Nothing wrong with his bowling or tactics, but any 'afters' when a bloke is laying on the ground is not on.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:58 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Nah **** his reaction I loved it.. should’ve got in Smith’s face and told the mug to get up and get ready for another.. **** this sportsmanship crap these days I wanna see fierce rivalries.

The landscape around this sort of behaviour changed a few years back on the SCG.

Nothing wrong with his bowling or tactics, but any 'afters' when a bloke is laying on the ground is not on.

Absolutely, I've always felt a bit bad when I've injured someone in sport, there's no gloating.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:07 am

Nah **** everyone, i want blood! :twisted: :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:22 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I must be hiding under a rock, I haven't seen one thing directed at Archer.

I did read some shit the day after it happened about English players allegedly laughing after it happened, the Barmy Army booing when he returned and some chop was the first one ever to be evicted from the MCC for ripping into Smith as he made his was through the long room.

There was a very brief snippet on the telly showing Buttler and Archer standing at the top of Archer's run having half a laugh. Apparently Archer was a bit cut up and Buttler was calming him.

There was some booing when Smith returned, but the Balmy Army weren't at Lords and apparently put out a social media whatever decrying whoever was doing it.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:23 am

woodublieve12 wrote:I find it hilarious that people are getting stuck into Archer for him targeting players but seem to forget Johnson doing the exact same thing when we played the poms... The media and their double standards are laughable

"How dare he hit Smith like that and laugh? Now, we need to knock his ******* head off!"
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:44 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I must be hiding under a rock, I haven't seen one thing directed at Archer.

There was a very brief snippet on the telly showing Buttler and Archer standing at the top of Archer's run having half a laugh. Apparently Archer was a bit cut up and Buttler was calming him.

There was some booing when Smith returned, but the Balmy Army weren't at Lords and apparently put out a social media whatever decrying whoever was doing it.

Yeah, that's about all of what I seen, they weren't exactly cacking themselves.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket