The Ashes 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2019

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:35 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Reminded me of an innings I saw a bloke filling in the B Grade play once LOL!! Very similar standard of cricket tbh.

http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/ ... ityID=1988

Geez you've been holding onto that one for a while desperate to use.. :lol:

Bloody oath, need to cheer myself up somehow. I haven't been that gutted about a sporting loss since the 2011 SANFL Grand Final
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:38 am

FlyingHigh wrote:True all-rounders are a great part of cricket partly because of their rarity, but let's just hope our media don't get back on the "we need an all-rounder" bandwagon. Or worse still, our selectors do the same and try to manufacture something.

The reality is that Australia desparately needs a quality allrounder. They are not getting any runs from their keeper and they need a 5th bowler for some variety. I agree that you don't play an allrounder just for the sake of it .... they have to be good enough.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:46 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:How good is Ben Stokes? To get over the line in them circumstances is a true test of character and grit.

Given that he batted unconventionally to start with, having 9 off 81 deliveries and the like, it was truly a great knock.

Exactly.
I keep saying it, he's a gun. Just such a dynamic cricketer that I enjoy watching, takes something special to bowl the most overs in an innings and then come out at number 5 and play an innings like that. Didn't bowl that well in the first and second tests but found his rhythm in this match and bowled well without luck.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10296 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Bedge » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:47 am

Is Stokes one of the best all round cricketers NZ has ever produced?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby stampy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:49 am

Absolutely gutted :evil:
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby locky801 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:52 am

The Bedge wrote:Is Stokes one of the best all round cricketers NZ has ever produced?

depends if you call Hadlee an allrounder
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:55 am

locky801 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Is Stokes one of the best all round cricketers NZ has ever produced?

What about Chris Cairns?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:02 am

locky801 wrote:

27 average with the stick, would go close you'd reckon, tough era and there was generally no one left to bat below him.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:04 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:True all-rounders are a great part of cricket partly because of their rarity, but let's just hope our media don't get back on the "we need an all-rounder" bandwagon. Or worse still, our selectors do the same and try to manufacture something.

The reality is that Australia desparately needs a quality allrounder. They are not getting any runs from their keeper and they need a 5th bowler for some variety. I agree that you don't play an allrounder just for the sake of it .... they have to be good enough.

Every team needs a quality allrounder, just like a quality Centre half forward, but you can play around them if you don't.

Been saying for years we need a gambling medium-pacer to bowl those 2-3 over spells, 6-8 an innings depending on how the game is going - Dougie Walters, Mark Waugh, Greg Blewett, Andrew Symonds, even Shane Watson towards the end of his career. Mitchell Marsh's bowling is perfect for the role, shame his batting isn't.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby northerner » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:06 am

gadj1976 wrote:I went to bed at 4-229 and thought we would lose it because of the way we were bowling. Just utter rubbish. Hardly any deliveries would've hit the stumps in the first session. 5 wides by Patto? Don't really know what he was doing but he looked ready for a spell.

I was surprised to get so close in the end. The comical part of it was that I hear we bowled bouncers to the tail again? What is that tactic? Can no one bowl a good yorker any more? Then to hear that we stuffed up a DRS and the umpires stuffed up a simple LBW chance just goes to show that the game is run in farcical fashion.

Yes I agree ... the bowling immediately after Roots dismissal was the period that really let the Poms in the game. I had to force myself to not leave at lunch cos I also was convinced we wld lose at that stage.

And lose we did. But I have to admit I am glad I saw it...
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:08 am

Shane Watson was a gun bowler just didn’t have the heart.

Wade was the only bat out there that could chuck down some military mediums
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:14 am

True as a genuine bowler, took some good wickets as a part-timer
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:16 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

Every team needs a quality allrounder, just like a quality Centre half forward, but you can play around them if you don't.

Been saying for years we need a gambling medium-pacer to bowl those 2-3 over spells, 6-8 an innings depending on how the game is going - Dougie Walters, Mark Waugh, Greg Blewett, Andrew Symonds, even Shane Watson towards the end of his career. Mitchell Marsh's bowling is perfect for the role, shame his batting isn't.

I'm not so sure on that, we have no genuine bunnies and bat down to 11, Cummins (22), Pattinson (27) and Starc (28) are just below all-rounder status IMO, if we had a keeper with better batting capabilities we could squeeze in another bowler.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 am

But none of those are good enough to bat in the top 6 - we have better tail-enders than other teams.
Fair enough if we had a keeper as a true all-rounder, ie Gilchrist or Alec Stewart, and maybe Marsh at 7 would work well. Carey is not up to batting in the top six, he will be a good number seven like Healy and Haddin.
But you see what sort of trouble England get into by trying to play bit-players in different positions. They are just lucky at the moment they have a genuine allrounder.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:46 am

Hopefully this begins the discussion around the review system. Either review every decision or review none. The review system was brought in to stop the howlers. They can check for a front foot no ball on every decision if they want. High pressure and tension can affect different people differently. It affects some people in a positive way but for most it's the opposite. Paine reviewing the LBW was a case in point, Nathan Lyon spending the ball before he had it and missing the run out and Joel failing to give a plumb LBW which would have seen the Test over are all examples of pressure causing them to fail. Enter Ben Stokes and Jack Leach to show how to deal with pressure. Hats off to the Poms. Don't think the 4th Test could get anymore intriguing, bring on some sleep tonight
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 am

I just watched the highlights of day 4.

Yuk!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:59 am

Magellan wrote:No fireworks, rock music, and razzle-dazzle bullshit required, just 100% pure cricket (I’m looking at you, T20 cricket).

But you know what, I think it was Stokes T20 experience that got them over the line, he knew when to go and had the ability to hit the shots needed, he wasn't going to be able to hit 4's with 8 on the boundary so he had to go upstairs. In many ways T20 has enhanced test cricket.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:00 pm

cokadonkeytoo wrote:Hopefully this begins the discussion around the review system. Either review every decision or review none. The review system was brought in to stop the howlers. They can check for a front foot no ball on every decision if they want. High pressure and tension can affect different people differently. It affects some people in a positive way but for most it's the opposite. Paine reviewing the LBW was a case in point, Nathan Lyon spending the ball before he had it and missing the run out and Joel failing to give a plumb LBW which would have seen the Test over are all examples of pressure causing them to fail. Enter Ben Stokes and Jack Leach to show how to deal with pressure. Hats off to the Poms. Don't think the 4th Test could get anymore intriguing, bring on some sleep tonight

I'm not bothered with the way the review system works, don't waste your reviews if it isn't out.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Carey was playing T20 in England, so I assume he is still there. Should simply be a case of calling him up, but they will not drop Tim Paine. Only chance for a change is injury.

Carey is on his way home.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:06 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
cokadonkeytoo wrote:Hopefully this begins the discussion around the review system. Either review every decision or review none. The review system was brought in to stop the howlers. They can check for a front foot no ball on every decision if they want. High pressure and tension can affect different people differently. It affects some people in a positive way but for most it's the opposite. Paine reviewing the LBW was a case in point, Nathan Lyon spending the ball before he had it and missing the run out and Joel failing to give a plumb LBW which would have seen the Test over are all examples of pressure causing them to fail. Enter Ben Stokes and Jack Leach to show how to deal with pressure. Hats off to the Poms. Don't think the 4th Test could get anymore intriguing, bring on some sleep tonight

I'm not bothered with the way the review system works, don't waste your reviews if it isn't out.

Agree, if we didn't fk it up, everyone in the cricket world would be saying how good the review system is working how it's meant to.

Mind you, I was a bit skeptical of the line as it hit is front pad. Similarly with Paine's in the first innings, whose I thought was missing or at worst would have got benefit of the Umpire's call.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket