Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Spargo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:05 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:One of the Mrs uncles had his 69

Bit sloppy, enabled taking in all 13" of it

:lol: I’ll see myself out...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Has anyone been to "Sneaky's" at Angle Vale in the last couple of years?

LM went there after playing footy there couple of weeks ago. Was about 16 of us plus about 15 kids.
Table service. Quite good. Drinks didn't take long.
Everyone enjoyed their meals, certainly no complaints, I had a pizza which was pretty nice, perfect base.
They were happy to split the bill at end of night, just paid for out meals and drinks etc.
We were in the extension part rather than the main area but that suited us with the big grass area out the front. We just raised one of the blinds kids ran around outside.
Only negative is it's on the expensive side, but most things are for me as I'm a chicken parmi type of guy.
Would definitely go back next year though.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:19 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Has anyone been to "Sneaky's" at Angle Vale in the last couple of years?

LM went there after playing footy there couple of weeks ago. Was about 16 of us plus about 15 kids.
Table service. Quite good. Drinks didn't take long.
Everyone enjoyed their meals, certainly no complaints, I had a pizza which was pretty nice, perfect base.
They were happy to split the bill at end of night, just paid for out meals and drinks etc.
We were in the extension part rather than the main area but that suited us with the big grass area out the front. We just raised one of the blinds kids ran around outside.
Only negative is it's on the expensive side, but most things are for me as I'm a chicken parmi type of guy.
Would definitely go back next year though.

Cheers mate, we didn't end up going as the wife thought it was a bit pricey (I was paying anyway) :lol: .

Saving it and going toe "The Greek On Halifax" instead.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:24 am

Port Noarlunga pub

Table of 5
Booked in for 6.30.

The dining area was rather quiet :shock:
Thought it may have been a tad busier.

Table had
2 x beef brisket
Whiting fillets
Chicken schnit
Chicken Mexican parmi.

I had one of the Beef Brisket, from the specials board, and it was a really decent serving. It just fell apart beautifully. One of the better Briskets i have eaten in an eatery. Would have happily paid $25. The other brisket eater also loved it and commented on how much meat there was.

Around the Whiting fillets was same price as Brisket, but it certainly looked a tad on the small serving size. It was stock standard quality wise. No issues there, again from Special board.
And the 2 schnitzel munchers both enjoyed their meals. The Mexican schnit had plenty of topping, again from the specials board.

Food 7.5/10
Ambience 7/10 gets a boost with a nephew winning $2k on pokies and throwing pineapples around
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:54 am

Wife and I decided to take a trip in to Gawler for a couple of bevvies and dinner Saturday night.

Had heard many good things about the Golden Fleece so in was a unanimous decision to give it a whirl.

Immediate service was brilliant, we didn't have a booking and they were full but there was a table that a few guests weren't showing up so that group was fine with the staff splitting the table so we could dine by ourselves.

The waitress took our drinks order straight away and was back within the minute with them.

First thoughts were "it's a bit pricey" but we proceeded to order a Salt and Pepper Squid entree to share and then I took the 300gm Scotch Fillet, Mrs Mc took the Warm Dukkha Lamb Salad.

The entree was a fair size, it was $16 where the main's one was $20, very tasty, nice salad and the chips were nice too.
Mrs Mc's lamb salad was huge, plenty of lamb there, probably nearly as much meat as my Scotch Fillet, that was $22 and very nice.
My Steak was cooked to perfection, served on top of 3 potato rosti's that were amazing along with some greens, the meat had some unknown glaze cooked through it and was simply awesome.

In hindsight, we shouldn't have got the entree as we struggled through the mains but I'd probably go the squid as a main next time.

$115 all up for them 3 dishes, 3 Stella's for me and two champers for the wife.

Service: 10/10. The waitress was brilliant, genuinely cared what we thought of the food and encouraged us to say something if we weren't happy, kept an eye on our drink levels too.
Price: 9/10. The proportions matched the prices well.
Atmosphere 10/10. The place is it's own mall, we managed to score a table in the main dining area, directly near one of the big screens though which unfortunately had the footy playing on it.

After going to the Kingsford for a couple first we decided to stick around for a couple more at the GF, I chucked $8 in the Indian Dreaming poker machine and took out $50, that was after checking my phone account after umpiring and seeing that I'd won $190 in the last at Eagle Farm, was a good finish after a grueling forgettable day as a maggot.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Wife and I decided to take a trip in to Gawler for a couple of bevvies and dinner Saturday night.

Had heard many good things about the Golden Fleece so in was a unanimous decision to give it a whirl.

Immediate service was brilliant, we didn't have a booking and they were full but there was a table that a few guests weren't showing up so that group was fine with the staff splitting the table so we could dine by ourselves.

The waitress took our drinks order straight away and was back within the minute with them.

First thoughts were "it's a bit pricey" but we proceeded to order a Salt and Pepper Squid entree to share and then I took the 300gm Scotch Fillet, Mrs Mc took the Warm Dukkha Lamb Salad.

The entree was a fair size, it was $16 where the main's one was $20, very tasty, nice salad and the chips were nice too.
Mrs Mc's lamb salad was huge, plenty of lamb there, probably nearly as much meat as my Scotch Fillet, that was $22 and very nice.
My Steak was cooked to perfection, served on top of 3 potato rosti's that were amazing along with some greens, the meat had some unknown glaze cooked through it and was simply awesome.

In hindsight, we shouldn't have got the entree as we struggled through the mains but I'd probably go the squid as a main next time.

$115 all up for them 3 dishes, 3 Stella's for me and two champers for the wife.

Service: 10/10. The waitress was brilliant, genuinely cared what we thought of the food and encouraged us to say something if we weren't happy, kept an eye on our drink levels too.
Price: 9/10. The proportions matched the prices well.
Atmosphere 10/10. The place is it's own mall, we managed to score a table in the main dining area, directly near one of the big screens though which unfortunately had the footy playing on it.

After going to the Kingsford for a couple first we decided to stick around for a couple more at the GF, I chucked $8 in the Indian Dreaming poker machine and took out $50, that was after checking my phone account after umpiring and seeing that I'd won $190 in the last at Eagle Farm, was a good finish after a grueling forgettable day as a maggot.

When you said you went for dinner at a 'Golden Fleece,' I thought you meant this place...

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:23 am

Magellan wrote:When you said you went for dinner at a 'Golden Fleece,' I thought you meant this place...

Yass, I always think of the same when I hear, you must be of similar vintage.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:40 am

There is a Golden Fleece cafe in Willunga with some antiques from an old petrol station -

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:41 am

Anyone recommend a Japanese Restuarant where you sit around the chef and he cooks dishes in front of you? Looking to take the family somewhere different for the Mrs's birthday.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby JK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 am

Dutchy wrote:Anyone recommend a Japanese Restuarant where you sit around the chef and he cooks dishes in front of you? Looking to take the family somewhere different for the Mrs's birthday.

Shiki at the Intercontinental? Used to be one on Glen Osmond Rd (Teppenyaki IIRC) but I'm not sure if it's still there?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:58 am

JK wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Anyone recommend a Japanese Restuarant where you sit around the chef and he cooks dishes in front of you? Looking to take the family somewhere different for the Mrs's birthday.

Shiki at the Intercontinental? Used to be one on Glen Osmond Rd (Teppenyaki IIRC) but I'm not sure if it's still there?

Yep, can vouch for that, the food was brilliant. A quick mans look suggests that it may not be there anymore, Shiki is the #1 rated one in Adelaide.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:12 am

Shiki is excellent. Not cheap, but when we were there 2 years ago they accepted the Entertainment Card - In fact they saw we had 3 of them and the bloke told us to give all of them to him and he applied 3 discounts.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:13 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:

Yep, can vouch for that, the food was brilliant. A quick mans look suggests that it may not be there anymore, Shiki is the #1 rated one in Adelaide.

Shame it's gone, was an awesome place.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:29 pm

Wasn't the one at Glen Osmond a Mongolian place or am I thinking of another? Kublai Kahn or something.
Used to have one down at Reynella with a similar name too which we loved going to, long time ago though.

Edit: Googled it, Kublai Kahn is still there but it's at Parkside.

Further edit: There website was last updated 8 years ago so it may not be there lol
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:Wasn't the one at Glen Osmond a Mongolian place or am I thinking of another? Kublai Kahn or something.
Used to have one down at Reynella with a similar name too which we loved going to, long time ago though.

Edit: Googled it, Kublai Kahn is still there but it's at Parkside.

Further edit: There website was last updated 8 years ago so it may not be there lol

I miss the Genghis Khan at Tranmere, used to be a regular down there back in the day. I must visit the Kublai Khan again as it’s been many years since the last visit
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Yeah I need to get back to KK, was always a decent, quick and cheap feed
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby saintal » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Yakitori Takumi, a small Japanese bar/diner on Melbourne Street is worth a look. Not cheap ($100-120 for a couple on average from my experience) but excellent food and outstanding service. Depending on where you sit though you may not necessarily have a great view of the chefs. The best seats are at the bar.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Corona Man » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:47 pm

3 reviews for the price of 1. Weekend in Adelaide.

Saturday night. Nepalese on Goodwood Road. Yeti.

Can’t say I’d ever eaten Nepalese before. Basically Indian fare. Table of 6. Cold Corona to start with. I ordered the lamb curry, Mrs C the vegetarian option. Along with the usual side rice, roti and papadums. Bottle of red for good measure. Lamb was good had a bit of kick to it but by my recent experiences very approachable for an Aussie palate. Good reviews from others on our table. Easy on the wallet too average main meal $22.

Sunday Morning. Red Cacoa Stirling. Full house on arrival but squeezed in our party of 7. Good Coffee and waffles hit the spot.

Sunday Lunch. Duke of Brunswick in Gilbert Street. Salt and Pepper Calamari for $21 washed down with a Fat Bastard Chardonnay did the job. Mrs C a glass of bubbles and the Fish and Chips. Calamari was good.

Qantas club now and sneaking in a few brews before heading back east,
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Spent Saturday night in the city, wasn't planned and no real itinerary but decided we needed to factor in dinner.

The fun police was taking too long to get ready so I suggested we just go and eat at the Black Bull Hotel to save any research.

The wife got the Thai Beef Salad ($20), I took the 350gm Hereford Rump ($28).

The salad had heaps of beef through it and was very nice, my rump was cooked to perfection and the peppered gravy was included in the price.

Service was quick, staff were friendly.

The food, one imperial pint for me, 2 champagne's for the better half came in at $72, was pretty happy with that as we then ventured on to the cas.

A solid 9/10

Very much recommend if you want something quick, basic, hearty and plan on giving the beers a fair nudge later on.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:28 pm

Sumac Cafe at Daw Park. Home of the best Parmi I’ve ever had!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion