The Ashes 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2019

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:00 am

Booney wrote:Smith averaging 174 since returning from his ban.

And he's gotten out foolishly a couple of times too, could he be the greatest ever?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:01 am

daysofourlives wrote:
northerner wrote:This in ings we have learnt a lot about the character of Joffra... front runner of highest order.

We are batting England out of the game and yet we are onll playing with only two batsmen.

Really happy to see Paine make some runs. He will always be under pressure until the day Carey takes his spot but he deserves far more credit for the makeover of the Aussie cricket brand. And this is more likely to come when he makes some runs

Agree with your 1st point. Give it a couple more years and he'll be on the T20 circuit only.

Give it one tour of the sub-continent and he'll find an excuse.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:03 am

whufc wrote:Many moons ago there were endless debated between myself and a couple of other posters in particular.

I continued to defend the reselection of Smith on multiple occasions.

Out of jest I labelled him 'The Blonde Don'

I actually never thought that would become a reality.

WOW.

Yes you were were and yes you referred to him as the Blonde Don and had maybe knockers.. but shit no one saw this transformation coming
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Many moons ago there were endless debated between myself and a couple of other posters in particular.

I continued to defend the reselection of Smith on multiple occasions.

Out of jest I labelled him 'The Blonde Don'

I actually never thought that would become a reality.

WOW.

Yes you were were and yes you referred to him as the Blonde Don and had maybe knockers.. but shit no one saw this transformation coming

That's what I said didn't I :lol: ;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:11 am

Just watched the highlights, how good was the no-ball? :lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby RB » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:17 am

Booney wrote:Smith averaging 174 since returning from his ban.
And averaging 211 since coming back from the head knock.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby stan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:41 am

Isn't it interesting about the lack of swing out there this series in England. The English bowlers have always been able to get to the ball to really talk out there whilst Broad found a bit that seemed more natural swing earlier in the day.

I'm just wondering where has all the swing gone?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:56 am

stan wrote:Isn't it interesting about the lack of swing out there this series in England. The English bowlers have always been able to get to the ball to really talk out there whilst Broad found a bit that seemed more natural swing earlier in the day.

Everyone is shit scared of continuing the usual tactics because someone got caught.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:05 am

heater31 wrote:
stan wrote:Isn't it interesting about the lack of swing out there this series in England. The English bowlers have always been able to get to the ball to really talk out there whilst Broad found a bit that seemed more natural swing earlier in the day.

Everyone is shit scared of continuing the usual tactics because someone got caught.....

Even the commentators mentioned the English players coming out after lunch with their hands in their pockets. Must have stocked up on mints during the break as the ball was swinging for a few overs afterwards
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:10 am

The transformation of steve smith from being originally picked as spinner/batsmen to easily being the best batsmen in the world is incredible!!! Freak
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:33 am

How good was Starc drop-kicking Broad over deep long on? The straight drive was picture perfect too.

Good because Broad is quality and is always having a dip, unlike some of the other pea-hearts in the English line up.

Finally do you feel the same this morning as you wondered bleary eye into work/uni in May 1995 after S Waugh hit that double hundred against Walsh, Ambrose, and co?

Smith is up there.
Last edited by am Bays on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:37 am

northerner wrote:This innings we have learnt a lot about the character of Joffra... front runner of highest order.

Harsh, he is only in is 2nd test match, thats the beauty of test match cricket, it exposes you, he will be good for a long time. He would have learnt more in the last month than he has in the last 10 years.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:47 am

Dutchy wrote:
northerner wrote:This innings we have learnt a lot about the character of Joffra... front runner of highest order.

Harsh, he is only in is 2nd test match, thats the beauty of test match cricket, it exposes you, he will be good for a long time. He would have learnt more in the last month than he has in the last 10 years.

Hopefully for his sake he's learnt don't rock up on day one bowling half arsed rubbish to the best opposition batsman and try getting him out before he's 200 and the other mob 500.

He was pathetic on the opening morning and I'd imagine some of the English coaches will tell him that in the post match review.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby stan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:58 am

am Bays wrote:How good was Starc drop-kicking Broad over deep long on? The straight drive was picture perfect too.

Good because Broad is quality and is always having a dip, unlike some of the other pea-hearts in the English line up.

Finally do you feel the same this morning as you wondered bleary eye into work/uni in May 1995 after S Waugh hit that double hundred against Walsh, Ambrose, and co?

Smith is up there.
Broadnis there most dangerous bowler in these conditions. Bowled well do far without the support of his mates out there in the field.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby northerner » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:41 am

Dutchy wrote:

Not harsh at all... i have never seen Pat Cummins just rolling his arm over and with negative body language that Archer displayed in this innings. And he has played more than Archers 3 tests. The first sign it gets tough and he mentally checks out.
Time will tell and he clearly will have days when it falls in place but personally I am happier to have Cummins and Hazlewood than Archer for full hearted commitment.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby RB » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:06 pm

northerner wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

The first sign it gets tough and he mentally checks out.

Well he is a pom...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby MW » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:07 pm

northerner wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Not harsh at all... i have never seen Pat Cummins just rolling his arm over and with negative body language that Archer displayed in this innings. And he has played more than Archers 3 tests. The first sign it gets tough and he mentally checks out.
Time will tell and he clearly will have days when it falls in place but personally I am happier to have Cummins and Hazlewood than Archer for full hearted commitment.

The telling part was the look he gave Root when he told him to bowl around the wicket.
I agree he will not be playing tests by the end of next year. Purely a gun for hire on the T20 circuit.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:12 pm

northerner wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

haha seriously he is a baby in test cricket, Smith and Warnie were very similar in their first few tests.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Didn't think it was a great declaration last night.
I thought when Starc got his 50 was the time, but instead we batted another four overs, as I think we need to win this test, and as such an extra wicket last night was more important that the last 20 runs - we are only a Labuschagne nick and a moderate Smith innings from being 6/80 in the next test.

Broad's hold over Head has gone unnoticed with all the talk about Warner. Even in the 2nd innings of the first test when Head made 50, listening on the radio, sounded like in the first few overs of that Sunday he had him in trouble.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:17 pm

Boof said the same thing to our tour group. Freddie and Jones were swinging it Irish after thirteen overs at Edgbaston in 2005.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket