The Ashes 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2019

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:19 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Didn't think it was a great declaration last night.
I thought when Starc got his 50 was the time, but instead we batted another four overs, as I think we need to win this test, and as such an extra wicket last night was more important that the last 20 runs - we are only a Labuschagne nick and a moderate Smith innings from being 6/80 in the next test.

Broad's hold over Head has gone unnoticed with all the talk about Warner. Even in the 2nd innings of the first test when Head made 50, listening on the radio, sounded like in the first few overs of that Sunday he had him in trouble.

All the lefties are struggling against Broad. If we can't get 19 wickets with this attack over three days I don't think the extra four will make that much difference tbh.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:22 pm

All the lefties, as noted, can't work Broad around the wicket out. If we win this Test then no need for concern, if we don't do they make a simple right/left change in the middle order?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:24 pm

whufc wrote:Many moons ago there were endless debated between myself and a couple of other posters in particular.

I continued to defend the reselection of Smith on multiple occasions.

Out of jest I labelled him 'The Blonde Don'

I actually never thought that would become a reality.

WOW.

Guilty 8)
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Booney wrote:All the lefties, as noted, can't work Broad around the wicket out. If we win this Test then no need for concern, if we don't do they make a simple right/left change in the middle order?

Who?? Bancroft comes into the middle order. Is he the only other right hander in the squad. Both Khawaja and Pattinson are lefties.

Am I missing anyone.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:25 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:
whufc wrote:Many moons ago there were endless debated between myself and a couple of other posters in particular.

WOW.

Guilty 8)

No one in their wildest dreams imagined Smith was going to be this good. I would have taken a solid 40 test average as a win tbh.

It is undoubtedly the closest we will ever come to reliving the Bradman era.

Any other sport there would be drug cheat claims, lucky batting revolves around timing, patience, mental strength.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:27 pm

Broad was cooked but Starc showed the way to play him, hit it straight and not through mid wicket where Head Wade Harris are getting out. Broad isn’t really swinging it, it’s all the angle he is bowling from.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
I thought when Starc got his 50 was the time, but instead we batted another four overs, as I think we need to win this test, and as such an extra wicket last night was more important that the last 20 runs - we are only a Labuschagne nick and a moderate Smith innings from being 6/80 in the next test.

Broad's hold over Head has gone unnoticed with all the talk about Warner. Even in the 2nd innings of the first test when Head made 50, listening on the radio, sounded like in the first few overs of that Sunday he had him in trouble.

All the lefties are struggling against Broad. If we can't get 19 wickets with this attack over three days I don't think the extra four will make that much difference tbh.

regards,

REB

They are, but Head really does seem just a matter of time.
4 overs at the end of the game may or may not matter, but i just felt them having to bat for an hour, 14 overs, was keeping more pressure on them than the last 20 runs.

Which tour group are you with?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:56 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

I can't see how Broad coming around the wicket is causing Head so much grief, surely they'd just keep working on that in the nets, I only seen his dismissal the once in real time, did he review it? Did hawkeye say it was hitting?

I can see why we batted as long as we did, at a guess we wanted to score as many runs as possible to try and make the poms bat twice in a row, I know we generally don't enforce follow-ons anymore but you've gotta back yourself in scoring around 500 in what has been a pretty lean run scoring series, we probably don't want to set a target either.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:57 pm

He didn't review, looked out, ball tracker was "umpires call".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:58 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

4 overs at the end of the game may or may not matter, but i just felt them having to bat for an hour, 14 overs, was keeping more pressure on them than the last 20 runs.

CATO. Cricket Australia Travel Office. Can recommend. Went to the first two tests.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Broad was cooked but Starc showed the way to play him, hit it straight and not through mid wicket where Head Wade Harris are getting out. Broad isn’t really swinging it, it’s all the angle he is bowling from.

To be fair I saw him swing a couple past Smith's bat when he was over 100.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Booney wrote:He didn't review, looked out, ball tracker was "umpires call".

OK, cheers, just looked like Broad was coming from a fair angle.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Broad was cooked but Starc showed the way to play him, hit it straight and not through mid wicket where Head Wade Harris are getting out. Broad isn’t really swinging it, it’s all the angle he is bowling from.

Yes he's not really swinging it, it's the movement off the seam that is giving our batsman, mainly the left handers the most trouble. It just has to move enough either way to take the outside edge or miss the inside edge to hit them in the pads and he's in the game. The angle from around the wicket exaggerates the seam movement away from the left hander.

Head didn't help himself with his dismissal as it looked like it was trying to play that delivery through mid on/mid wicket instead of straight, Mark Taylor mentioned it straight away after Head got out.
Broad bowled a delivery to Paine yesterday that was the perfect length and moved off the seam just missing Paines outside edge as he played the line of the ball before the movement. It was an absolute jaffer.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:12 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

With respect to the declaration, I was thinking along the lines of Border at Headingly in 1993 at the start of day 3, "Boys we're batting on this morning to cause them more mental and psychological deterioration" or words to that effect.

Basically take the win for them out of the equation - you've less than three days to get over 750 runs and take 10 wickets if you want to win this game. Therefore all you are playing for is not to lose before we get to the Oval "highway".
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby stan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:36 pm

I feel this is the test we need to win. Going ovall 1 - 1 scares me because at some point the 2 blokes carrying our batting will fail.

Win this one and it's done and in the bank.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby helicopterking » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:51 pm

Rain to ruin first session , hence the declaration last night.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby mal » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:51 pm

WOW.

Heres some posts from 2014 on the The Blonde Don

* If he faced his own bowling consistently, he could be a blonde Don.
* I can see East Coast Smith being found out within 18 months
* I reckon he wont get past 30 Tests

All 3 posts were made by the same poster :roll:
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1139 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:58 pm

stan wrote:I feel this is the test we need to win. Going ovall 1 - 1 scares me because at some point the 2 blokes carrying our batting will fail.

Win this one and it's done and in the bank.

Agree Stan
And taking a wicket in the 6-7th over with 3-4 left, they were always going to send in a nightwatchman.
Taking a wicket in the 6-7th out of 14 and they probably expose another batsman.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:28 pm

mal wrote:

WOW.

Heres some posts from 2014 on the The Blonde Don

* If he faced his own bowling consistently, he could be a blonde Don.
* I can see East Coast Smith being found out within 18 months
* I reckon he wont get past 30 Tests

All 3 posts were made by the same poster :roll:

Sounds MALicious
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:02 pm

Forecast looking better for today than it was yesterday, maybe a delay to the start but should be good for a large percentage of play, with it being windy the ground will at least dry quickly. A good bowling performance today and we retain the Ashes.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket