The Ashes 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

The Ashes 2019

Postby Jim05 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:45 am

locky801 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Starc looking like he could run through this mob today

=)) =)) =))

Yeah, he has served up some tripe since
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: The Ashes 2019

Postby RB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:35 am

Paine is a dud, next plane home thanks.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:41 am

RB wrote:Paine is a dud, next plane home thanks.

Its a ******* disgrace that we continue to pick our captain before we pick the team. That's English cricket values.
He is not the best keeper in the country, he certainly isn't the best keeper/batsman and he most definitely isn't the best captain. He's a rabbit in headlights, he knows he doesn't belong out there with the best cricketers in the world.
And now a shit review because he got desperate after dropping root an over before. FFS drop him
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:44 am

Great spell from Cummins, not being backed up by Paine at all. Warner saved him 2 or 3 times last Test, maybe Davey has had enough of Paine too.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:27 am

3 late wickets to Hazelwood sees England 5/200 at stumps.

One presumes Starc is injured as he didnt bowl in the last session at all.

1st session tomorrow a big one as we need to get rid of Stokes early
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby northerner » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:11 am

daysofourlives wrote:

Its a ******* disgrace that we continue to pick our captain before we pick the team. That's English cricket values.
He is not the best keeper in the country, he certainly isn't the best keeper/batsman and he most definitely isn't the best captain. He's a rabbit in headlights, he knows he doesn't belong out there with the best cricketers in the world.
And now a shit review because he got desperate after dropping root an over before. FFS drop him

Really pleased to see Paine get a 50. His lack of runs has resulted in many critics and whilst he is unlikely to go on beyond next summer he deserves to be recognised in the future as a great conduit for the changing of the Aussie cricket team culture. He has a magnificent attitude towards winning and losing in a competitive but fair manner.
I think his attitude immediately after losing the 3rd Test and in between Tests was a major reason we did not succumb as many pundits thought we would.

Some pearls of wisdom that typified his mind set:

“I know from outside a lot’s been made. We’ve heard Jofra talk about momentum and the ball’s in their court, and all this sort of stuff,”

“You can believe in that story if you want to.”

Australia only “deals in facts”.

I for one love the astute wisdom and calm approach he has. Not saying he doeant make errors but his demeanour and good guy but still combative approach has been perfect coming at a time when we stunk both in Oz and overseas.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:03 am

daysofourlives wrote:

Not sure if you're both talking about the one that went between Paine and Warner last night.
They showed a graphic that last night the two were standing 2.75mt apart whereas in the previous test they were 3.5-3.8mt apart for the two Warner catches.
The catch last night was definitely a keeper's catch, the two in the last test were a regulation first slip IMO
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby batmanbegins » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:51 am

Big partnership between stokes and bairstow tonight, get one early and we might follow on. Hats of to rory burns been superb, averaging 46 compared to the next best opener in the series is harris averaging 13 shows how good hes been.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:05 am

daysofourlives wrote:

Can't pick Alex Carey either......dropped a sitter overnight off a dead set test match spud who went on to make a ton [emoji6]
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby RB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:16 am

northerner wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Really pleased to see Paine get a 50. His lack of runs has resulted in many critics and whilst he is unlikely to go on beyond next summer he deserves to be recognised in the future as a great conduit for the changing of the Aussie cricket team culture. He has a magnificent attitude towards winning and losing in a competitive but fair manner.
I think his attitude immediately after losing the 3rd Test and in between Tests was a major reason we did not succumb as many pundits thought we would.

“I know from outside a lot’s been made. We’ve heard Jofra talk about momentum and the ball’s in their court, and all this sort of stuff,”

I for one love the astute wisdom

Would you care to give an example of this astute wisdom?

IMO his decision making has been poor.
RB
Coach

Postby mal » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:28 am

Pat Cummins bowls to Joe Root on 54 runs
Snick
Tim Paine and David Warner[first slip] dont even attempt to catch a ball within reach of both players
4 runs
The ball ends up near the advertising sign which was Specsavers !
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby northerner » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:36 am

RB wrote:
northerner wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

I did. His commentary straight after the test and leading up to this one was a major insight into how England did not manage to build on the momentum as many pundits predicted.
His handling of Kohli etal last summer was first class..combative but fair. We have never handled India better than we did last summer and given the place where we were coming from that was a great turning point because the fish was rotten up to that time.

No one can deny the culture of the current team is the best its bean in decades. And Paine has been a major part of that.
northerner
Reserves

Postby RB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:45 am

northerner wrote:
RB wrote:
northerner wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:[quote="RB"]Paine is a dud, next plane home thanks.

I did. His commentary straight after the test and leading up to this one was a major insight into how England did not manage to build on the momentum as many pundits predicted.
His handling of Kohli etal last summer was first class..combative but fair. We have never handled India better than we did last summer[/quote]
What are you talking about? We lost to them at home for the first time ever.

I don't disagree with the other stuff you said, but I think it's something most captains could've done, and his record as captain isn't great. If we win this series it'll be in spite of his non-performances on the field. If we lose, carrying him will have been a component of that.
RB
Coach

Postby northerner » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:58 am

RB... you are not understanding my point.

Our culture was so putrid that even our own countrymen hated the Aussie national side. Paine has been a major driver in affecting a dramatic change in a very short time. I do not believe Head or Cummins would have done it better and tbh Head is also underachieving. And I believe the best fit as a leader at that time was someone who wasnt in the current team that was so out of touch with what constituted the hatd but fair Aussie way.
As for the teams performance under his watch we were never going to beat India and we performed better than expected. Most would agree. And we had the least drama an ill feeling of any series against India in 20 years. Again kudos where its deserved.

Paine is the best keeper in Oz atm IMO. He is clearly behind Carey as a bat but his runs this series is still more than any of the openers. He makes errors and the DRS has proven his enemy but he aint alone there. His handling of Starc yesterday was very good. I dont understand the vitriol headed his way. He was perfect for the transitional stage. He wont last beyond March 2020 but his legacy is worth more than that which is borne out statistically.
northerner
Reserves

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:49 pm

Head is 3rd on the leaderboard of most international test runs in 2019, only Smith and Stokes are ahead of him.

Yes, he hasn’t set the world on fire this ashes series, not many have improved their averages, it’s been a bowlers series for a change.

As for Cummins, I think interim captaincy wouldn’t suit him, fast bowlers need to be pissing in the captains ear to get the nut in their hand, then proving their point, he will either over or under bowl himself if he captained IMO.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Just like Khawaja can we please end the love affair with Starc and the red ball!

His done with a red bull, can’t swing a duke and doesn’t get reverse when Bancroft isn’t in the side.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:33 pm

mal wrote:Pat Cummins bowls to Joe Root on 54 runs
Snick
Tim Paine and David Warner[first slip] dont even attempt to catch a ball within reach of both players
4 runs

Paine is like a cardboard cut out with anything that is more than a foot to his right. He's costing Australia Test Match Wins with his incompetent keeping, pathetic referrals and lack of attacking intent in the field as Captain. :oops:
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby northerner » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:12 pm

We are doing bloody well in this series considering how many guys arent good enough... two batman and two bowlers is all that can be considered to have had impactful series. We are very fortunate to have the worlds best batsman and the worlds best bowler... pretty barren after that.
northerner
Reserves

Postby RB » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:34 pm

We are doing well considering our batting line up - however I am far more optimistic than I have been over the last few years because I think we've got a number of test-standard batsmen not in the current XI. At any rate, I'd take our batting lineup over England's current one. Only Root and maybe Stokes would've made their 2005 or 2009 teams for example.

It has been a bowler's series. I would definitely add Siddle to the list of bowlers who've had an impactful series. He bowled well in both tests he played and would've taken more wickets if his teammates hadn't had hands of clay.

Lyon will also have had a decent series if he can take a good portion of the 15 wickets we need to win this test - a big couple of days for him in conditions that you'd expect will suit.
Last edited by RB on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:02 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
mal wrote:Pat Cummins bowls to Joe Root on 54 runs
Snick
4 runs

Paine is like a cardboard cut out with anything that is more than a foot to his right. He's costing Australia Test Match Wins with his incompetent keeping, pathetic referrals and lack of attacking intent in the field as Captain. :oops:

Lets not forget after letting the catch go that the very next over from Cummins he referred one out of desperation because he couldn't handle the pressure that HE just put on the team. It wasn't even close. He is a liability, good blokes don't win Test matches but they can certainly lose them. He has already cost us one Test without question, if he loses the Ashes he should stay over there.
daysofourlives
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket