Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby field of dreams » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:04 am

grasshopper22 wrote:To this week ends games, Willunga taking on Creeks at Myponga tomorrow In what looks like is going to be a cold miserable Windy day. One bad quarter of footy with the wind early can be very costly for that team. I think it will be extremely close all day but I’m predicting Creeks to be up at 3/4 time and to just hold off a fast finishing demons side. Creeks by 5 points.

Compass Versus Victor in the elimination final. Plenty at stake in this one. If Compass can play to their potential and string four quarters of footy together they should get the chocolates fairly convincingly. However history says in recent years Victor have been more than competitive and if I’m correct have had the wood over the Dogs. How ever I see the results being very similar to what it was last time these two sides met. Dogs by 40 +.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve all talked about the competition evenness and this weekend is no different with 2 games that could go either way.

Willunga v Creek : very tough to pick. Willunga looked a bit top heavy when I last saw them but they have earned their spot as minor premiers. I think Creek to come home strong again and go straight to the GF.

Compass v Victor: wood on the dogs? well victor did beat them 3 out of 4 times in 16 and 17 when compass went top and victor didn’t make the 5, but victor haven’t troubled them again since. Safe bet would have to be compass but victor showed last week they have the ability. Not the best preparation but maybe it will galvanise them? Can they kick straight?

Looking forward to the games. Wondering if I should I pay my $10 or jump the fence? Thoughts?

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby mutton cove » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:39 am

The person in question has a SANFL career that was riddled with report's, suspension's and yes APPEALS, to the point that his next suspension would mean a life time ban from football. Shame on anyone, or oganisation that condones or turns a blind to this type of behavior. It appears some clubs are beyond the law legally and morally.
mutton cove
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:26 pm

field of dreams wrote:

Wondering if I should I pay my $10 or jump the fence? Thoughts?

One feels better doing the right thing although i do know a number of people that have no problem with going out of their way to avoid paying. No coincidence they tend to be the ones that you dont see volunteering around their local club but are 1st on the scene to celebrate any glory. :oops: :roll:
Im sure the games will be worth the $10 especially compared to paying $40 - 50 watching some of the rubbish AFL matches at times.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby old fullback » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:59 pm

field of dreams wrote:
grasshopper22 wrote:To this week ends games, Willunga taking on Creeks at Myponga tomorrow In what looks like is going to be a cold miserable Windy day. One bad quarter of footy with the wind early can be very costly for that team. I think it will be extremely close all day but I’m predicting Creeks to be up at 3/4 time and to just hold off a fast finishing demons side. Creeks by 5 points.

Compass Versus Victor in the elimination final. Plenty at stake in this one. If Compass can play to their potential and string four quarters of footy together they should get the chocolates fairly convincingly. However history says in recent years Victor have been more than competitive and if I’m correct have had the wood over the Dogs. How ever I see the results being very similar to what it was last time these two sides met. Dogs by 40 +.

We’ve all talked about the competition evenness and this weekend is no different with 2 games that could go either way.

Willunga v Creek : very tough to pick. Willunga looked a bit top heavy when I last saw them but they have earned their spot as minor premiers. I think Creek to come home strong again and go straight to the GF.

Compass v Victor: wood on the dogs? well victor did beat them 3 out of 4 times in 16 and 17 when compass went top and victor didn’t make the 5, but victor haven’t troubled them again since. Safe bet would have to be compass but victor showed last week they have the ability. Not the best preparation but maybe it will galvanise them? Can they kick straight?

Looking forward to the games. Wondering if I should I pay my $10 or jump the fence? Thoughts?

Pay ya $10 ya tight Ass
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Double2blue » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:39 pm

I’m sure FOD will pay and a lot of sarcasm in his comment after last weeks Final at Victor. Apparently the club down the road are getting a bill for the group of 12+ that jumped the fence and avoided paying. They were saving their beer money probably!
Double2blue
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Tasman

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:03 pm

Creeks into the Grand Final after out toughing Willunga in a close thriller in bitterly cold conditions at Mudlark Park winning 10 - 3 to 8 - 6
Creek looked to be in a spot of trouble early in the 3rd term as Sellar left the ground with an arm injury and tho returning several times had little impact due to it but youngster Mitch Cleggett stepped up to the mark to tame Willungas talls in ruck.
McGregor is a superstar for the Creeks and his 5 goals as well as giving a few off was clearly the difference between the 2 teams
jackpot jim
Coach

Great Southern Football League

Postby grasshopper22 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:28 pm

Double2blue wrote:I’m sure FOD will pay and a lot of sarcasm in his comment after last weeks Final at Victor. Apparently the club down the road are getting a bill for the group of 12+ that jumped the fence and avoided paying. They were saving their beer money probably!

From the story I heard that wouldn’t be anything on the entire Victor Harbor A grade team led by their coach who jumped the fence at the Bay during the minor round after getting changed at Victor and running down for the game. Haha

grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Double2blue » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:48 pm

And they got there at 1/2 time and still won, looking at the results this year between the 2 teams. HaHa
Double2blue
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Tasman

Postby grasshopper22 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Double2blue wrote:And they got there at 1/2 time and still won, looking at the results this year between the 2 teams. HaHa

Na this was kicking around last season or the one before.

grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby field of dreams » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:26 am

jackpot jim wrote:Creeks into the Grand Final after out toughing Willunga in a close thriller in bitterly cold conditions at Mudlark Park winning 10 - 3 to 8 - 6
Creek looked to be in a spot of trouble early in the 3rd term as Sellar left the ground with an arm injury and tho returning several times had little impact due to it but youngster Mitch Cleggett stepped up to the mark to tame Willungas talls in ruck.
McGregor is a superstar for the Creeks and his 5 goals as well as giving a few off was clearly the difference between the 2 teams

Was a tight contest and Creek won the arm wrestle as most seemed to predict. McGregor is a freak and well worth the price of admission and any sign-on fee. (just joking jj ;))
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:34 am

grasshopper22 wrote:
Double2blue wrote:I’m sure FOD will pay and a lot of sarcasm in his comment after last weeks Final at Victor. Apparently the club down the road are getting a bill for the group of 12+ that jumped the fence and avoided paying. They were saving their beer money probably!

From the story I heard that wouldn’t be anything on the entire Victor Harbor A grade team led by their coach who jumped the fence at the Bay during the minor round after getting changed at Victor and running down for the game. Haha

Good example of why people in glass houses.... ;) ;)

:lol: :lol: Just picturing them lined up at the gate each getting their $6 out of their socks.

Some nice guy fixed that up out of his own pocket when he had less pressing things to deal with though.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Local GSFL Man » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:59 pm

News out of Strath that Todd Price is not coaching next season and will only be a player.

Rumor that Tyson Neal might be Encounter Bays playing coach
Local GSFL Man

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Milang

Postby mutton cove » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:39 pm

Mount Compass defeat Victor, waiting on the appeal.
mutton cove
Rookie

Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Postby grasshopper22 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:08 pm

mutton cove wrote:Mount Compass defeat Victor, waiting on the appeal.

I ventured down to Strath today for a look and gee Victor got the jump early, making the most of all opportunities in front of goal kicking extremely straight. Half way through the second term with a 5 goal lead they looked like they were on their merry way, but an experience dogs outfit gritted their teeth with 3 late goals to keep themselves well and truly alive going into the main break.
In the second half it was all the dogs, Victor had a couple of opportunities late, coming home with the goal scoring end if they could get a couple of quick ones they would be right in it, that wasn’t to be the case, Pinyon banged through his 6th I think it was breaking the Roos. Compass deserving winners.

Dogs now head to Yankalilla with confidence and take on a Willunga team that would not want to go out in straight sets. They finished top for a reason so they will come out firing one would think. However for me it’s going to be hard to tip against the Dogs heading into the Prelim.

grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby field of dreams » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:13 pm

Pretty fair assessment Grassy. For me it was always going to be about restricting supply to the spearheads.....Fantastic conversion by Ziggy and Pinyon. A good contest marred by one bloke in green that seems to think it’s all about him. No sour grapes from the players or coach after the game though. 4 goals from 50m penalties very telling in the wash up and need to be learned from no matter the decisions.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:09 pm

Heard there was a bit of a brawl after the Mclaren/Bays senior colts game. Anyone see what happened?

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:21 pm

field of dreams wrote:Heard there was a bit of a brawl after the Mclaren/Bays senior colts game. Anyone see what happened?

Was just driving in the gate when the siren went to end the match. seemed like within seconds i noticed players from both sides sprinting towards the centre of the ground which i thought was odd. Then noticed an all in brawl was taking place with arms swinging everywhere.
Not sure what the wash up of it all was but it's certainly a SHOCKING look for the game and footy in general and surely some sort of action needs to be taken to serve notice that this sort of stuff in unacceptable.
Overheard someone say later in the day that it was caused by a comment like "Seeya next year loser" or something like that but who knows?
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks jj. Sounds worse than I’d first heard.

On another note, since the replay of yesterday’s game isn’t up yet, does anyone know if the time to lodge reports gets extended if it isn’t up in time for the Match Review Officer to issue his findings? Asking for a friend. [emoji1782][emoji12]

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Game is there FOD -
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby field of dreams » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks Dutchy. It was tongue in cheek, but it was interesting to see the real ‘serial offender’ ‘dirty thug’ of the league in action on replay. Should’ve been sent off for that.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy