The Ashes 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2019

Postby RB » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:10 pm

Jim05 wrote:Harmison sounds bitter

“I don’t think you can forgive him,” Harmison told talkSPORT. “When you’re known as a cheat — and he is, I’m not going to sugar-coat it, the three guys cheated — that’s on your CV.

“You’re marked and you take it to your grave.

“Whatever Steve Smith does, he’ll always be remembered for what happened in South Africa.”

Harmison added that is “something he’s got to live with”.

“I can’t see anybody’s opinion changing on Smith, Bancroft, or Warner. Because of what they’ve done, they’ve tarnished the game,” he said.
Presumably he has the same views in relation to Mike Atherton
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:24 pm

BoundaryRider84 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Can anyone tell me how many overs were left in the day when we got the last wicket? Sounds like England took it to pretty late in the day?

13.3 overs left

I was surprised they didn't send Leach and then Broad in before Archer.
Whilst it may not have made any difference, having Leach hold up for that long knowing they still had three wickets to get would have made for some nervous moments for the Aussies, then Broad perhaps digging in with the end in sight, and who knows what would have happened.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:33 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
BoundaryRider84 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Can anyone tell me how many overs were left in the day when we got the last wicket? Sounds like England took it to pretty late in the day?

13.3 overs left

I was surprised they didn't send Leach and then Broad in before Archer.
Whilst it may not have made any difference, having Leach hold up for that long knowing they still had three wickets to get would have made for some nervous moments for the Aussies, then Broad perhaps digging in with the end in sight, and who knows what would have happened.

I agree, Leach digging in could have forced Australia to panic under pressure, change the bowlers more regularly etc. Would have been a good move imo, glad they didn't.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby northerner » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Dutchy wrote:Thanks, was getting a bit tense then!

It was hard to watch. No risk being taken by either Overton or Leach at 8 down. Bowlers were being regularly changed and no one looked overly threatening. Crowd was right into it.

Then Paines masterstroke which should be remembered more than any ill-conceived DRS decision in the previous Test (which was only compounded by an Umpiring error). Immediately Leach looked awkward with the leggie pitching in the rough and getting the bounce.
And having done the damage, Paine took Marnie off and got the ball to Hazlewood to finish the job.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Whats the team for the next test???

For mine the series win means Warner survives and is encouraged to go out and play his shots. In a perfect world they would love to the right hander in the team. I sneaky guess and I think Mitch Marsh will come in for Head or Wade which will also provide extra assistance to the bowlers who would have to be struggling after four tests and a big night on the piss. Or do they bring Bancroft in?

Starc was OK but a rested Pattinson comes in for him imo, that is of course unless they decide to rest Cummins.

How much impact does the test championship have on Australian needing to win the series to maximise points.

My guess.

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:53 pm

The Test Championship part of it certainly makes the game and selection more interesting.
I thought with the amount they bowled Cummins yesterday, they had decided to go for broke and he would win this game for them and then have a rest.
If there is something on the line, will be a good challenge for Pattinson and Starc to step up.
Agree about Marsh, I think they'll find a way to give him a game and take some pressure off the bowlers.
I hope they don't open with Labushagne just because he is a right-hander.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:02 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:The Test Championship part of it certainly makes the game and selection more interesting.
I thought with the amount they bowled Cummins yesterday, they had decided to go for broke and he would win this game for them and then have a rest.
If there is something on the line, will be a good challenge for Pattinson and Starc to step up.
Agree about Marsh, I think they'll find a way to give him a game and take some pressure off the bowlers.
I hope they don't open with Labushagne just because he is a right-hander.

None of the openers in the squad deserve a full series so it's Usi or Bancroft in for Warner this test. Otherwise same team.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby northerner » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 pm

I would look at 4 quicks at the Oval which will probably be well grassed. Lyon has 4 for near on 400 since his first Test efforts and is physically struggling.
Agree re keeping Warner in. Harris and Head most in danger of being dropped with Wades 2nd innings runs priceless.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:08 pm

Having been to England this year I can say that the majority of English fans are cricket fans but there is a FLA element who are basically a bunch of ****. Don't worry I know we have plenty of our own but to the FLA element you can all eat a massive bag. This Ashes loss might not have happened if you didn't fire up Devereux with your endless moronic booing. Seriously, who boos a bloke who has been knocked out or scores a double ton?

These wankers called us cheats every single day with dumb as dog shit chants that even a One Nueron supporter couldn't forget. We tried to give it back but we were outnumbered as you would expect. Seriously...God save your Queen? As if we give a ****. Same old Aussies always cheating? Last time I checked it was actually legal to appeal if you think it's out. Funny thing is, these idiots walk past the gates with the biggest cheat of them all's name on them, good old WG. And the antics of Mike Atherton were also conveniently forgotton. Only English cheats are forgiven.

Couldn't happen to a nice mob. Comisserations though to the genuine English cricket fans who made us feel welcome. Banter was welcome, outright hositily is not. See you in Australia.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:11 pm

“I don’t think you can forgive him,” Harmison told talkSPORT. “When you’re known as a cheat — and he is, I’m not going to sugar-coat it, the three guys cheated — that’s on your CV.

“Whatever Steve Smith does, he’ll always be remembered for what happened in South Africa.”

“I can’t see anybody’s opinion changing on Smith, Bancroft, or Warner. Because of what they’ve done, they’ve tarnished the game,” he said.

Harmison you wanker. Ball tampering has been going on for decades. Say that shit to Sarfraz or Imran, to Atherton. ******* hypocrisy. The main difference is that our cheats were shit at it. The ICC were going to ban Smith for ONE MATCH. It was due to OUR reaction that they got a year's ban. Atherton got off scott free but that's ok to Harmison because Atherton is English. What a ****. All he will be remembered for is sooking it up away from home and not hitting the pitch with the first ball of an Ashes series. Harmison you wanker.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby locky801 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Hopefully they keep Warner in the side as i want to see if he can bat for as long as Jack leach has in the last 2 tests :D :D

If he does he should be close to a ton ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:18 pm

whufc wrote:Whats the team for the next test???

For mine the series win means Warner survives and is encouraged to go out and play his shots. In a perfect world they would love to the right hander in the team. I sneaky guess and I think Mitch Marsh will come in for Head or Wade which will also provide extra assistance to the bowlers who would have to be struggling after four tests and a big night on the piss. Or do they bring Bancroft in?

Starc was OK but a rested Pattinson comes in for him imo, that is of course unless they decide to rest Cummins.

How much impact does the test championship have on Australian needing to win the series to maximise points.

My guess.

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon

I cannot except the mediocrity of Warners performance in this series and I will be disappointed if he is not dropped for the forth test, out of Khawaja or Bancroft I'd like Bancroft to replace him.

Will be interesting to see what the selectors do with the bowling attack.

I'll be in London in just over a week, getting there on the 17th (day 5 of the oval test) and I cannot wait to get there after last night's result.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10292 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:19 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

My guess.

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon

I cannot except the mediocrity of Warners performance in this series and I will be disappointed if he is not dropped for the forth test, out of Khawaja or Bancroft I'd like Bancroft to replace him.

I'll be in London in just over a week, getting there on the 17th (day 5 of the oval test) and I cannot wait to get there after last night's result.

What has Bancroft done since he was dropped?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

My guess.

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazelwood
Lyon

Has only made 36 not out in the most recent tour match against Derbyshire.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10292 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Not got a duck.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Not got a duck.

A bit of sightseeing, played UNO and a bit of manscaping
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby batmanbegins » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:24 pm

RB wrote:

Presumably he has the same views in relation to Mike Atherton

Not a great comment by the big fella. Bloke made a mistake (his was only a lack of leadership really) and it's time to move on. He's come back and proved he's the best. 95% of English fans would agree, always get some morons though.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:44 pm

I'm expecting a typical Oval Rd at the end of the English summer

Using the theory of resting and keeping blokes fresh and keen for the next test, my side would be:

Warner - we won he's in go out and attack, if we had lost...
Bancroft - get a right- hander in
Labuschagne - showing a bit
Smith - you tell him he's dropped....
Head - need runs mate
Wade - see Head
Paine - if we had lost this series this would've been your last but your safe for the Aust summer now.
Starc - Oval Rd will rough the ball up will need his reverse skills
Siddle - Oval made for him, seam up bowling in the channel.
Hazelwood/Patterson maybe give Josh a rest - to keep him fresh for summer
Lyon - need someone to sing the song.

Cummins your on ice son, go tour enjoy the sights of Europe

All IMO
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Grenville » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:49 pm

Glad I got up at 1 this morning to watch it. Feeling the pinch now but don't regret it for a minute. We were flat as a tack for a while there, just kept eeking out a wicket when needed. Paine's captaincy has been nothing to write home about but he pulled a rabbit out of the hat giving Labuschagne an ober at Leach. As my mate said to me via text at 2.45am "Yes!Yes!........fuc**ng Yes!".
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Grenville » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:51 pm

If you want a laugh have a look at some of the comments on the BBC website. Some very bitter Brits. And a couple of very happy Scots.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket