Danny Frawley RIP

Talk on the national game

Re: Danny Frawley RIP

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:19 pm

God I'm going to miss him with the Golden Fist, Bounce is my favourite footy show and Golden Fist is my favourite segment along with Dribble File and DCMs, which also belonged to Spud. Bounce won't be the same without him, he and Chief have been a great combination over the years.

RIP.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Magellan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:29 am

Very, very sad news.

The tone of this article in The Age seems to suggest it wasn't an accident, due to a combination of financial stress/poor investment, the Essendon doping saga, and a failing marriage, and which if true makes his passing all the more tragic.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/danny-frawley-football-world-mourns-a-fierce-competitor-and-vulnerable-soul-20190909-p52pms.html

Danny Frawley: Football world mourns a fierce competitor and vulnerable soul

Australian football is mourning one of its fiercest competitors and most vulnerable souls after long-serving St Kilda captain, former Richmond coach and popular media personality Danny Frawley crashed his car into a tree on a quiet country road.

Frawley died about 1.30pm on Monday, the day after his 56th birthday, when his four-wheel-drive left a single lane road and hit a tree outside the western districts town of Millbrook, east of Ballarat.

He died not far from the family potato farm in Bungaree where he was raised and learned to play football.

Frawley had spoken candidly about his battle with mental health over many years. In recent weeks he confided in friends and family that his marriage was over and personal finances were under severe strain.

His death comes as an immense shock to the football community.

During a time of chronic instability at St Kilda, Frawley was a constant.

He led the club for a record 177 games and anchored the team from full back. Although he played in far more losses than wins, his bullocking strength and timely fist kept the Saints in contests that otherwise would have been forsaken causes.

“He was the most competitive, passionate bloke I played with,” former teammate Nathan Burke said. “He is just one of those blokes, whether you were there for a year or 15 years, you wouldn’t say a bad word about him.’’

Off the field, Frawley was the sensible Saint, the dependable one who made sure the other Ballarat boys – Tony Lockett, Greg Burns and Geoff Cunningham – got to Moorabbin in time for training and matches.

In his final year of football, he played a small, important role in one of the game’s greatest moments.

When a dying Ted Whitten farewelled the MCG with a final lap of honour at a state of origin match, it was Frawley who introduced him to each of the players in the Victoria rooms. Whitten’s whispered words stayed with him for the rest of his life.

Frawley’s coaching career saw him take over Richmond in 2000, a time when Tigerland was notorious for devouring its own. In the five seasons he coached, his hair turned white and a young man seemingly grew old.

“He was an incredible man, the energy he had, no matter where he was he would have 40 people around him because of his infectious personality and his ability to tell a story,’’ former Richmond captain Wayne Campbell said.

“He was the essence of a true leader because people were drawn to him and followed him.”

It was in his years at Richmond that Frawley publicly revealed his frailties, alongside his strengths. He spoke last month of the toll the job took on his family and mental health. He also revealed the breakdown he experienced at the height of the Essendon doping crisis, when as chief executive of the AFL coaches’ association he was torn between his responsibility to the game and the welfare of coaches implicated in the scandal.

The doping crisis became a highly personal one, with Frawley unable to sleep and increasingly, to function in his broadcast job.

“The most frightening thing happened when I was at the MCG one afternoon,’’ he told the Herald Sun in a recent podcast. “I was sitting in the car park, behind the wheel. I had no idea where to go, or what to do.”

His wife Anita had to drive to the ground from their bayside house to pick him up.

In recent months and weeks, Frawley’s poor mental health became acute.

He continued to work in the media, hosting Fox Footy’s The Bounce with Jason Dunstall, and helped out as an assistant coach at St Kilda and St Bedes, the amateur club where Luke Beveridge coached before embarking on his AFL career.

In quiet moments, he told those he trusted that he was struggling to cope, his marriage was failing and his finances were shot, the result of a big investment gone bad. His problems were well known to his family.

Andrew Plympton, a president of the St Kilda Football Club during Frawley’s time as captain, said Frawley’s fight against depression showed the fickle nature of mental health.

“He came from a fantastically steady family,’’ Plympton said. “I can’t even try to understand where Danny had issues from.”

Frawley was raised in a big, supportive family. His late father Brian was president of the local football club, his brother Michael now runs the family farm. His problems were well known to his siblings, some of who were making emergency dashes home from overseas on Monday night.

Danny Frawley is survived by his wife Anita and three adult daughters.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:36 am

I stayed off my socials and TV last night, I couldn't watch the outpouring of grief. For some reason it really hit me, just reminded me of the fragility of life.

Someone so universally adored gone in an instant. So sad.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 am

Booney wrote:I stayed off my socials and TV last night, I couldn't watch the outpouring of grief. For some reason it really hit me, just reminded me of the fragility of life.

Good move mate, wasn’t easy to watch. I had to switch off after a bit
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:24 am

Bloody terrible news. Tough to watch Bill Woods, Neroli Meadows and especially Browny work through it. I can't image how Dunstall must be feeling right now.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:25 am

Booney wrote:I stayed off my socials and TV last night, I couldn't watch the outpouring of grief. For some reason it really hit me, just reminded me of the fragility of life.

I felt the same way. Even Mrs REB had a tear in her eye and she's not exactly the world's biggest footy fan.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:27 am

Just further reinforces that mental health does not discriminate. Wealth, Gender, Sexuality, Religion does not matter when the black dog strikes.

Also shows further that what we see on the outside can be completely different than what is happening on the inside.

Don't be afraid to ask someone if they are OK.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jase » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 am

The Passing of Spud has really hit my wife hard...

She always loved him, not as a player at all, she's not much of a footy head, but as a bloke. She saw him as someone she wished her dad had been, a kind, generous fella, who loved a laugh and just oozed "Good Dad". Whenever we saw him on TV, or heard him on the radio, she would say "I love Danny"

She was devo last night... :(
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:55 am

I know i joke around on here and talk a fair bit of nonsense. I do this cause i find this place an outlet and it has been a tremendous help. But like Boon this has affected me a fair bit.
To a point where for the first time in a couple of months my anxiety has kicked up. And with my birthday tomorrow and the constant bullshit of my in laws and ex. It's been weighing me a down a fair bit... Yesterday was a reminder how fragile life is. My girls got some very big hugs yesterday...

My thoughts are with the loved ones of Spud.

Please look after yourself people and never be afraid to ask for help...
Take care and have a great day
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby JK » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 am

I didn’t watch “The Bounce” religiously but caught enough of it to enjoy .. Think the bit I’ll miss the most is when he’d sidle up to some youngster about to press the Golden Fist button and say “Now just look through this camera Champ and BANG!! Ohh hahaha .. “ Ripper bloke great with adults and kids alike.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 am

woodublieve12 wrote:I know i joke around on here and talk a fair bit of nonsense. I do this cause i find this place an outlet and it has been a tremendous help. But like Boon this has affected me a fair bit.
To a point where for the first time in a couple of months my anxiety has kicked up. And with my birthday tomorrow and the constant bullshit of my in laws and ex. It's been weighing me a down a fair bit... Yesterday was a reminder how fragile life is. My girls got some very big hugs yesterday...

And the same to you mate, drop me a PM if you ever wanna chat
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 am

RIP Spud. World needs more people like you...just wish you realised that
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:10 am

Magellan wrote:The tone of this article in The Age seems to suggest it wasn't an accident....

Agreed. Tragic.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:24 am

Yesterday was just purely horrible, driving with my son in the car scouting through the stations at 5pm to hear the news I didn't want to hear only to hear triple M announce who it was around 5:03pm, it flawed me immediately, it will be one of those "where were you" moments, I had so much admiration for him.

The posts on here sum the situation up perfectly.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby LMA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:32 am

Shows how professional and selfless he was having these demons but still managing to ham it up for his fans on Bounce.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby JK » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:38 am

LMA wrote:Shows how professional and selfless he was having these demons but still managing to ham it up for his fans on Bounce.

Yep, can’t helping thinking of Robin Williams situation in a similarish light
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:52 am

LMA wrote:Shows how professional and selfless he was having these demons but still managing to ham it up for his fans on Bounce.

No doubt it was his outlet and while he was on a tv he probably felt good and a release from his troubles. I have no doubt he would have had friends and colleagues who would have checked in with him and made sure they did everything to stop this occurring, but it shows how powerful the black dog is :( :(
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:01 am

JK wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:I know i joke around on here and talk a fair bit of nonsense. I do this cause i find this place an outlet and it has been a tremendous help. But like Boon this has affected me a fair bit.

And the same to you mate, drop me a PM if you ever wanna chat

Same.
I’m always up for a chat and a beer.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:34 am

I'm really not that good at processing this sort of thing and like many i assume, tend to distance myself from it, so i also avoided the socials last night too and spent some more time with the kids.

A tough but pertinent reminder to focus on whats really important.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:42 am

The Age are reporting Vic Police have removed the death from the road toll as they are treating it as a self harm matter.

Like many others, I've got two good ears if anyone ever needs to chew them off.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL