Danny Frawley RIP

Talk on the national game

Re: Danny Frawley RIP

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:43 am

LMA wrote:Shows how professional and selfless he was having these demons but still managing to ham it up for his fans on Bounce.

This is a common theme with mental health illness.

Those 60 minutes(??) on TV were most likely the rare moments he was able to escape the demons in his head.

We recently had an 18 year old rugby teammate pass away in almost identical circumstances. He was the life of the changerooms, he use to make fun about himself being a bit over-weight, we use to call him man-child and played on his self laughter about his weight, in actual fact we admired his size as it was vital to our team. Being overweight in a rugby team is a great thing.

Unbeknown to us was there was genuine issues there in regards to his weight and that a lot of his comedic behaviour was a cover up for greater issues.

If only we knew there would have been a lot we could have done.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am

Booney wrote:The Age are reporting Vic Police have removed the death from the road toll as they are treating it as a self harm matter.

Like many others, I've got two good ears if anyone ever needs to chew them off.

Gutted!

A few you may be involved already but I can highly recommend the SA Brother Facebooks group if you looking for a casual informal chat/advice.

It's not like any other Facebook group like Blokes Advice that turns into a shit show and sledging fest. It's the best group on Facebook.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:The Age are reporting Vic Police have removed the death from the road toll as they are treating it as a self harm matter.

Gutted!

A few you may be involved already but I can highly recommend the SA Brother Facebooks group if you looking for a casual informal chat/advice.

It's not like any other Facebook group like Blokes Advice that turns into a shit show and sledging fest. It's the best group on Facebook.

SA Brothers is starting to head the same way now IMO.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:56 am

Not really the topic to make my posting return on. It's a shocking event.

What it does do, is re-focus all of us on what's important in life.

Depression takes many forms, and is often difficult to spot. Just about everyone I have encountered who suffers "black dog" deals with it, and importantly "masks" it differently.

As a society we need to recognize the signs. This is easier to do for some than others, particularly those who also suffer.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:03 pm

As a recipient of Booney's time and ears, I can vouch for him.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Failed Creation wrote:

As a recipient of Booney's time and ears, I can vouch for him.

Always there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Despite knowing it already, reading that was bloody hard :(
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Gutted!

SA Brothers is starting to head the same way now IMO.

I hope it doesn't, it had lasted so long doing so well.
whufc
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:26 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:God I'm going to miss him with the Golden Fist, Bounce is my favourite footy show and Golden Fist is my favourite segment along with Dribble File and DCMs, which also belonged to Spud. Bounce won't be the same without him, he and Chief have been a great combination over the years.

RIP.

Agree, was just a great laugh this show, just everyone taking the pi55 out of each other, mainly back and forth between Spud and Chief, but normally just laugh thru the whole hour.

I doubt they will ever do this show again, just would not be the same and doubt Dunstall could do it, the whole show was about the banter and sledging between them. Very sad indeed.

Have also stayed away from reading/watching shows since. Even reading everyone's comments on this thread now just start crying, people at work probably looking wondering what's up.

Heard they did cancel On the Couch last night, did they go ahead with Talking Footy and Footy Classified?
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:God I'm going to miss him with the Golden Fist, Bounce is my favourite footy show and Golden Fist is my favourite segment along with Dribble File and DCMs, which also belonged to Spud. Bounce won't be the same without him, he and Chief have been a great combination over the years.

RIP.

Agree, was just a great laugh this show, just everyone taking the pi55 out of each other, mainly back and forth between Spud and Chief, but normally just laugh thru the whole hour.

I doubt they will ever do this show again, just would not be the same and doubt Dunstall could do it, the whole show was about the banter and sledging between them. Very sad indeed.

Have also stayed away from reading/watching shows since. Even reading everyone's comments on this thread now just start crying, people at work probably looking wondering what's up.

Heard they did cancel On the Couch last night, did they go ahead with Talking Footy and Footy Classified?
Footy Classified was on and I watched the first 15 mins of it where Hutchy, Lloyd, Barrett and Caro had a discussion about Spud all sharing their personal stories involving him. Not sure if it kept going after I turned off.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:34 pm

Really feeling it for Dunstall and Lyon in particular.

Like many left behind in this instance they'll be not only beside themselves with grief but guilt, wondering what they missed, what could they have done?
It's such a terribly sad story.

This, with the Phil Walsh events won't ever be forgotten in football circles.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:42 pm

This comment from Jeff Kennett in his Beyond Blue capacity really hurts.....he tried but in the end he couldn't escape

He came and saw me and we spoke on a number of occasions to try and address some of those issues and he fought the good fight. But it really got him down. 
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Corona Man wrote:As a society we need to recognize the signs.

This.. 100%

Whilst there may be a lot of people willing to listen and help, that's reliant on the sufferer reaching out - something harder to do that people realise. If as a society we learn to better recognise the signs then we can do the reaching out.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Booney wrote:Really feeling it for Dunstall and Lyon in particular.

Like many left behind in this instance they'll be not only beside themselves with grief but guilt, wondering what they missed, what could they have done?

Great point Booney, was thinking the same thing. Obviously Garry Lyon would have been doing it tough during his controversy, and would have had strong friend support, so would be thinking could he have done more. Imagine Dunstall would have been all over Spud's issues being so close.

Everyone affected by suicide would have gone thru the "what could we have done" thoughts, is the worse thing possible for close family and friends left behind. Feel for all of them more than anything.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 pm

Corona Man wrote:Not really the topic to make my posting return on. It's a shocking event.

What it does do, is re-focus all of us on what's important in life.

Depression takes many forms, and is often difficult to spot. Just about everyone I have encountered who suffers "black dog" deals with it, and importantly "masks" it differently.

As a society we need to recognize the signs. This is easier to do for some than others, particularly those who also suffer.

It can be seemingly impossible if someone refuses to speak out.

I went through a horrid run of personal tragedies over a 12 month period a few years back, I was having suicidal thoughts yet I lobbed up to work every day, paid myself out about what I was going through so nobody thought to ask me if I was ok, I went from Sunday to Thursday without getting a minutes sleep, just stared at the ceiling wondering what is next in store for me.

I'm a shocker for it, I think that I can tackle any sort of setback and test my inner strength to always come out the other side stronger, I can understand how others think the same.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Booney wrote:Really feeling it for Dunstall and Lyon in particular.

Yeah, you could tell that the relationship between Spud and Dunstall was something unique, I don't think he'll continue with the show.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:It can be seemingly impossible if someone refuses to speak out.

I went through a horrid run of personal tragedies over a 12 month period a few years back, I was having suicidal thoughts yet I lobbed up to work every day, paid myself out about what I was going through so nobody thought to ask me if I was ok, I went from Sunday to Thursday without getting a minutes sleep, just stared at the ceiling wondering what is next in store for me.

I'm a shocker for it, I think that I can tackle any sort of setback and test my inner strength to always come out the other side stronger, I can understand how others think the same.

If you really know someone, I think there are subtle signs though.. although also kind of feel like those who have gone through it tend to see it in others easier too if that makes sense?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:01 pm

The Bedge wrote:If you really know someone, I think there are subtle signs though.. although also kind of feel like those who have gone through it tend to see it in others easier too if that makes sense?

Mate, I've worked next to the same chick for about 8 years and another bloke for most of the last 17 years and they'd have no idea what I go through, even right at this point I have a mountain of shit piled on top of me but I refuse to let it affect my day to day stuff, work is my escape and I don't need to burden my colleagues with it nor do wish to discuss it or show signs of weakness.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mots02 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Nice to see that between the usual banter, this site can still be used for people (mostly stubborn blokes) to open up on tricky subjects.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Something like this really does put things in perspective, even the rest of the footy finals seems irrelevent to me atm.

Can't possibly see how Bounce could ever happen again, Spud really was the cornerstone of the show. Even before we got Foxtel we used to make sure we were at the pub on a Sunday arvo and would get the pub to turn up the volume to one of our favourite shows of the week. Even people that didn't normally watch it would turn around and have a laugh mainly thanks to Spud.

Will be very sad over Spud's passing for quite a while.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL